screwed up with property in hua hin

hi all, been a Thai visa member for a little while, always read posts but never commented., have a property situation here in huahin Phetchaburi and feel like I'm between a rock and hard place. need some feedback and ideas before we bulldoze a 3 year old house project, never to return. would appreciate being routed to right forum etc.

5 years ago bought a 50 mtr x 50 mtr square of land  in cha am then proceeded to design and have built a one bedroom lounge kitchen bathroom house with a fairly sophisticated water  recycling system  auto generator for backup etc. Etc. etc. discovered near the end of job the builder was a total tosspot, and, after he nearly killed my 5 year old son with shoddy welding on a main steel concrete gate, we through him of site. he then turned up later that night with his son knocked on  the door and as soon as I opened it beat the sh1t out of me and his son attempted to attack me with a digging machete. I ran for help, called the police who as is normal didn't want to come unless bribed., had the building inspected by  surveyor from bkk   who condemned the property and told us not to pay the remaining 50k baht . (we had already spent 1.5 million on the house.)

we have been paying a security chap to keep an eye on the house and look after the two dogs on the property., disheartened we haven't been to the property for  2.5 years when we come this week we find there has been a fire caused by a rechargeable torch bursting into flames, setting alight to a large plastic box of  my sons toys filling the house with acrid soot etc. (the extent of the  disfiguration was played down by the security guy ) an attempt to mitigate the  state of the house he had a helper clean the property   and in so doing destroyed a brand new bathroom sink, the mice and rats have eaten into all the plumbing  half the wiring in the house now doesn't work. etc etc etc wife wants to pull it down sell the land  breaks my heart as I personally put so much work into the damned house. we also ov course have all the brand new furniture and fridges freezers etc etc

as a final we have taken legal action against the builder both civil for the property and criminal for the attack he got probation  and aparantly has no funds. yet he is building all over puket etc.

wife wants to bulldoze it to the ground  even though I worked  for 6 weeks every year since we bought it correcting what others have fd up. am in tears just thinking about it now,  stuck here for next 3 weeks itching to do something but know wife (and you) are right.

2 minutes ago, huahinboilerman said:

all this <deleted> has re triggered a bad state of depression that caused me to turn to Thailand in the first place 

You have a five year old son same as me that should keep you out of depression and into Pepa pig and Shaun the sheep works for me as the disasters unfold relentlessly around me ????

19 minutes ago, huahinboilerman said:

5 years ago bought a 50 mtr x 50 mtr square of land  in cha am then proceeded to design and have built a one bedroom lounge kitchen bathroom house with a fairly sophisticated water  recycling system  auto generator for backup etc. Etc. etc. discovered near the end of job the builder was a total tosspot, and, after he nearly killed my 5 year old son with shoddy welding on a main steel concrete gate, we through him of site. he then turned up later that night with his son knocked on  the door and as soon as I opened it beat the sh1t out of me and his son attempted to attack me with a digging machete. I ran for help, called the police who as is normal didn't want to come unless bribed., had the building inspected by  surveyor from bkk   who condemned the property and told us not to pay the remaining 50k baht . (we had already spent 1.5 million on the house.)

we have been paying a security chap to keep an eye on the house and look after the two dogs on the property., disheartened we haven't been to the property for  2.5 years when we come this week we find there has been a fire caused by a rechargeable torch bursting into flames, setting alight to a large plastic box of  my sons toys filling the house with acrid soot etc. (the extent of the  disfiguration was played down by the security guy ) an attempt to mitigate the  state of the house he had a helper clean the property   and in so doing destroyed a brand new bathroom sink, the mice and rats have eaten into all the plumbing  half the wiring in the house now doesn't work. etc etc etc wife wants to pull it down sell the land  breaks my heart as I personally put so much work into the damned house. we also ov course have all the brand new furniture and fridges freezers etc etc

as a final we have taken legal action against the builder both civil for the property and criminal for the attack he got probation  and aparantly has no funds. yet he is building all over puket etc.

I  wouldn't trust a builder  in Thailand to even pick his  own nose  without screwing it  up, I  know  not much help  now. I always  like the way they take  offence at the crap work  theyve  done even to the point of  beating YOU  UP, SCUM

Must have been some 1 bedroom house for 1.5 million,why pull it down just sell as an unfinished project ,you can’t leave property’s empty here the high humidity destroys everything.

I built a couple of 1 bedroom places to and the same as you sacked my builder 2 months into the build unlike your builder he did not come and attack me though.

11 minutes ago, huahinboilerman said:

all this <deleted> has re triggered a bad state of depression that caused me to turn to Thailand in the first place 

This  is the last place in the world   that can help with depression, see the amount of balcony  jumpers.

7 hours ago, gunderhill said:

I  wouldn't trust a builder  in Thailand to even pick his  own nose  without screwing it  up, I  know  not much help  now. I always  like the way they take  offence at the crap work  theyve  done even to the point of  beating YOU  UP, SCUM

We had a house built down Trang by an excellent builder 4 years ago....we can only praise his work :thumbsup:

its all down to a case of impulse we bought the land  and I thought  put up a cple of bungalows, and a pool etc like small holiday resort, I could potter about changing light bulbs  etc have a beer with  visitors  etc  but it all turned very very sour 

3 minutes ago, huahinboilerman said:

its all down to a case of impulse we bought the land  and I thought  put up a cple of bungalows, and a pool etc like small holiday resort, I could potter about changing light bulbs  etc have a beer with  visitors  etc  but it all turned very very sour 

how much cash money would it take for you to walk away from the house right now, today?

34 minutes ago, huahinboilerman said:

so you are in hua hin and know the builder is building all over phuket.... why not tell that to the police in hua hin and they can contact the ones in phuket... are we missing something here

1 minute ago, huahinboilerman said:

Many of us and me for sure have made huge judgement and financial mistakes here some will haunt me forever and I now never bet on a one horse race due to falling????

23 minutes ago, huahinboilerman said:

small holiday resort, I could potter about changing light bulbs  etc have a beer with  visitors  etc  but it all turned very very sour

"Sour" yes it would have, seeing as you wouldn't have a work permit for such work..so at least a silver lining is that you didn't get "dobbed in"  arrested and deported/blacklisted.

Sell the land and house for a "knock down" price if a quick sale is required.. be rid of bad memories and further maintenance costs...no point knocking it down just costs you more money.

42 minutes ago, petermik said:

We had a house built down Trang by an excellent builder 4 years ago....we can only praise his work :thumbsup:

Where in Trang? The city is ok, but I really like the coast and islands. Thinking of Trang or Phangnha move in few years. We like both provs and wife has few friends in both as well. Krabi seems over done or done over.

Sorry to hear this story. It sounds like the main problem now is your lack of energy/ability to complete the project. I suggest you try selling the land/house as is, and let a new owner complete the house. Is that not a better situation than bulldozing it? Lot's of farang and local investors in Thailand looking for projects such as yours. All is not lost.

In Hua Hin or elsewhere in Thailand, it is a risky venture to purchase.

Either you get into the hands of a rogue builder who will tempt you with cheap prices but deliver a trashy or dangerous finished house.

Or one can find a reasonable quality builder/developpment, but at prices that may be very close to those in any sunny European country like Spain/Tenerife or even France.

The developpments will also ask for high monthly maintenance fees for the common areas. They will also always sneakily get more cash out of the buyer for any extras or upgrades (at over rated prices) that can lure buyers during the purchase.

As a farang, one can assume having close to no rights in any Thai court.

Also, why gamble a court dispute with a reputable lawyer, just to further rip you off of your savings in fees.

There are always exceptions but is it worth gambling one's lifes savings ?

Just abide to the golden rule as with the ladies in Thailand. Never, never buy, just rent.

1 hour ago, huahinboilerman said:

wife wants to bulldoze it to the ground  even though I worked  for 6 weeks every year since we bought it correcting what others have fd up. am in tears just thinking about it now,  stuck here for next 3 weeks itching to do something but know wife (and you) are right.

sell it !   was going to agree to bulldoze it,  but no need if you just sell.   STAY away in the meantime, nothing good will come of you being involved.  Guess its in your wife's name ?  Hopefully you can trust her.

Let her deal with the sale.    Or you can live there and be unhappy and put more money in.  Choice ?

You have principles but are not that street smart.

Have some one contact the builder,offer to pay the 50 000(security guard over the last two years must have cost a lot more already).

You probably caused him to loose face one way or another and he has locals keeping an eye on you.

Make peace and then you can return to the property and do whatever you want.On the upsite ,the land may have increased in value so you may only loose a little bit of money or break even.

Bad experience but hopefully you and your family can go on.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

how much cash money would it take for you to walk away from the house right now, today?

If you are saying what i think you are saying it is not a very nice thing to do,will not help you to become poster of the year.

Archived