screwed up with property in hua hin

16 minutes ago, jvs said:

If you are saying what i think you are saying it is not a very nice thing to do,will not help you to become poster of the year.

You built using the wrong builder. He did a bad job.

No due diligence that I can see.

Now - another poster wants to make you an offer on the land and house that you posted about and all the grief it has caused you.

And you whine some more ?

Not very nice ? It is business.

Accept - Reject - UP 2 U

Sounds like you were not there everyday when he was building the

house,or don't have the faintest idea about house construction.

Two things that get Farangs in trouble,trusting builders,and not

knowing when something is not been done correctly.

I am sorry for your predictument ,but the best thing maybe

to pull it down,and sell the land,and learn a valuable lesson.

regards Worgeordie

2 hours ago, huahinboilerman said:

5 years ago bought a 50 mtr x 50 mtr square of land  in cha am then proceeded to design and have built a one bedroom lounge kitchen bathroom house with a fairly sophisticated water  recycling system  auto generator for backup etc. Etc. etc. discovered near the end of job the builder was a total tosspot, and, after he nearly killed my 5 year old son with shoddy welding on a main steel concrete gate, we through him of site. he then turned up later that night with his son knocked on  the door and as soon as I opened it beat the sh1t out of me and his son attempted to attack me with a digging machete. I ran for help, called the police who as is normal didn't want to come unless bribed., had the building inspected by  surveyor from bkk   who condemned the property and told us not to pay the remaining 50k baht . (we had already spent 1.5 million on the house.)

we have been paying a security chap to keep an eye on the house and look after the two dogs on the property., disheartened we haven't been to the property for  2.5 years when we come this week we find there has been a fire caused by a rechargeable torch bursting into flames, setting alight to a large plastic box of  my sons toys filling the house with acrid soot etc. (the extent of the  disfiguration was played down by the security guy ) an attempt to mitigate the  state of the house he had a helper clean the property   and in so doing destroyed a brand new bathroom sink, the mice and rats have eaten into all the plumbing  half the wiring in the house now doesn't work. etc etc etc wife wants to pull it down sell the land  breaks my heart as I personally put so much work into the damned house. we also ov course have all the brand new furniture and fridges freezers etc etc

as a final we have taken legal action against the builder both civil for the property and criminal for the attack he got probation  and aparantly has no funds. yet he is building all over puket etc.

in tears for so little ?

lost 500.000 baht in interests from the bank for early withdraw

spending 300-500.000 baht on a lawyer to get divorced

will have to spend another 500.000 for a freaking elite visa for 5 years

all this in less than 2 weeks...

now, who lost most, you or me ?

1 hour ago, jvs said:

You have principles but are not that street smart.

Have some one contact the builder,offer to pay the 50 000(security guard over the last two years must have cost a lot more already).

You probably caused him to loose face one way or another and he has locals keeping an eye on you.

Make peace and then you can return to the property and do whatever you want.On the upsite ,the land may have increased in value so you may only loose a little bit of money or break even.

Bad experience but hopefully you and your family can go on.

Terrible advice. You think his wife won't 'lose face' also. That's the whole reason she wants to bulldoze it now, showing the builder and locals she can afford to do this, maintaining her 'face'.

To the OP, mate, I really feel for you on this one. From your story you have 3 choices, keep it, finish it and live there; sell as is and/or bulldoze the building and sell the land; finish the construction and sell.

To ease your depression, personally I'd finish the build and sell to recoup the build costs.

Good luck.

Op doesn’t mention any specs or size of the house only that it cost 1.5 million so far,,,,this could lead to more headaches and lost money ,unless this is some huge 1 bedroom house it looks like you could have been way overcharged on the build so don’t go thinking you can add 1.5 million onto the land cost for the house,,,really for an ordinary 1 bedroom house not finished the value will be possibly below 500,000 bht

thanks for advice  have agreed with wife to pull it down and sell land as is going to sell all furniture etc or give it to extended family., as poster said  not aware of thai practice of being lying cheating bs also now know we picked wrong area (as in non Buddhist ) once we get rid. we will put all details of company on social media or before  in private to anyone requesting I personally have spent many hours working on the property installing water recycling system, automatic power failure backup generator, and many other western  hi tec mods all I now know to be a total waste of time effort and money. 

3 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Potentially disastrous idea considering Thailand's onerous defamation laws

Only in Thailand is the truth no defense 

Yep, agreed. OP don't do it unless of course you leave LOS and don't intend to return.

I really don’t see any advantage in pulling the house down ,surely land more appealing and worth more to investors with a property sitting on it.

after I sacked my builder I started doing a lot of the work myself on my two 1 bedroom houses,doors,windows,plumbing and electrics ,just hired local labour to do tiling and plasterboard ceiling.

i had days when I thought what am I doing am I ever get get these finished,stuck with it and the places are finished one even been rented out for 8 months,it all depends on how much time and effort you want to put in.

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Have a friend who gave a kitchen company a bad review on google. 

He got sued for defamation even if all he said was true. Beware op. 

How much did he get sued for?

20 hours ago, taninthai said:

Op doesn’t mention any specs or size of the house only that it cost 1.5 million so far,,,,this could lead to more headaches and lost money ,unless this is some huge 1 bedroom house it looks like you could have been way overcharged on the build so don’t go thinking you can add 1.5 million onto the land cost for the house,,,really for an ordinary 1 bedroom house not finished the value will be possibly below 500,000 bht

If it's a well built bungalow with decent fixtures and fittings i don't think 1.5M is outrageous.

On 4/3/2019 at 4:02 PM, justin case said:

in tears for so little ?

lost 500.000 baht in interests from the bank for early withdraw

spending 300-500.000 baht on a lawyer to get divorced

will have to spend another 500.000 for a freaking elite visa for 5 years

all this in less than 2 weeks...

now, who lost most, you or me ?

With that logic you'll have to stay quiet until children stop starving to death in Africa.

5 hours ago, huahinboilerman said:

its not the loss its's the frustration of wanting to make the best of something and being tied down by Thai stupidity ,not loosing face  and corruption.

Mistakes are a fact of life.  Try to get out of this as fast as possible and move on.   You will find that as time goes by you will think less and less about it.  Hopefully  ????

And....... learn from this lesson

On 4/3/2019 at 2:02 PM, petermik said:

We had a house built down Trang by an excellent builder 4 years ago....we can only praise his work :thumbsup:

The  problem with  all of  this is what you perceive as great I may well  not, I knew a  guy who praised his  builder  no end, I went to see it and Jesus it was  pretty  grim.

A  myriad of  things can be hidden under concrete and render especially if you are not on site  all day every day.

best advice  !!   sell up as is ,  re-locate to another part of Hau Hin or Thailand and buy an existing dwelling and add to it if you so desire.

And most importantly .....  put this bad experience behind you ... everyone has a bad time during their life and things don't go as planned ... but that should give you more reason to toughen up and push that aside ....

Now get the heck outta there .... and try again.  !!

To the OP, what specifically is so bad about the construction? Is it traditional timber or concrete / brick construction? Is it foundation, wall structure, roof, or fittings?

I read that it was now a flea bitten mess inside, but if it is concrete based and structurally sound - or at least has no current issues with sinking, deflections or bendings, most things can be fixed.

Do you have any photos you can share? There are surely some ex tradespeople to can assist you in finding the base cause of the issues and offer suitable remedies.

On 4/3/2019 at 1:38 PM, huahinboilerman said:

disheartened we haven't been to the property for  2.5 years

You've had some bad luck, but most properties left empty in the tropics are quickly eaten by the local fauna, then rotted by mould. Sell the land is the usual only remaining option.

1.5M for a single bed building is a bit over the top, you can usually get one including the land for around 800k-1M (unless it's on the beach). My 3 bed, 3 shower house was built for around 800-900k, and is still fully working 5 years later (could do with a new coat of paint).

On 4/3/2019 at 2:06 PM, huahinboilerman said:

its all down to a case of impulse we bought the land  and I thought  put up a cple of bungalows, and a pool etc like small holiday resort, I could potter about changing light bulbs  etc have a beer with  visitors  etc  but it all turned very very sour 

Never a good idea to try and  enter a business for which you have no prior skills in a foreign land.

They could see you coming a mile off.

Archived