Myanmar girls rescued from sex trade at Chiang Rai karaoke bar

webfact

Myanmar girls rescued from sex trade at Chiang Rai karaoke bar

By NATTHAWAT LAPING 
THE NATION

c74828fcacce85b23059b80c806eedf8-sld.jpe

TWO CHILDREN from Myanmar, allegedly forced into prostitution at a karaoke bar in Chiang Rai’s Phan district, have been rescued and the 46-year-old bar owner taken in for questioning.

According to a logbook that was seized from the owner, the bar paid kickbacks to corrupt police officers of up to Bt20,000 per month to allow the prostitution by girls aged under 18 to continue. 

f8137cbe4dd78f8465d3fb479fcfb932-sld.jpe

The raid of karaoke bars on the Chiang Rai-Phayao Road was carried out at 9pm on Tuesday and was led by Interior Ministry’s Department of Provincial Administration (DOPA) legal adviser Mana Simma. Officials found that the bars were near four modified hotel rooms for customers, who were standing in a queue to use them for sex. 

The Sao Phan karaoke bar had several girls who appeared to be under 18 providing sex as well as one Myanmar woman in her 30s. 

One 17-year-old said she had to have sex with customers from 8pm to 2am or later if there were still people waiting. A customer would pay Bt1,100 for a “short time” session, of which Bt500 was deducted by the pimp and Bt100 for the room fee, she said. 

“I didn’t get the cash to spend so I had to endure those conditions and keep providing sex or I would have lost the money I earned from previous nights,” she said.

Ronnasit Preukyachiva, the chief investigator for an anti-human trafficking organisation, who accompanied the officials in Tuesday’s raid, said his staff had investigated the Sao Phan trafficking case for one month before they alerted the Interior Ministry’s Dhamrongtham Centre. 

Mana said the operation rescued two teens, who would be examined to determine their real age before a human trafficking charge was filed. The bar owner, Suthat Thesnam, 46, was taken in for questioning at the Phan District Office along with a large number of condoms and the bar’s logbooks, which detailed expenses and alleged kickbacks paid to officials at state agencies, he added.

Suthat has been initially charged with running an entertainment venue without a licence and procuring women for prostitution.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30367085

thenation_logo.jpg

customers, who were standing in a queue.

Bad business model...customers should be given numbers...like at a bank and then have their number called when it was their turn.

This would free them up to buy more booze for themselves and others.

Must be literally thousands of these clubs with underaged girls operating within Thailand...not likely to change...  

A handful to get caught and leave, but hundreds more waiting for their turn to get into the trade...

And what about the corrupt police officers that form a majority proportion of the Thai Police ? Why does Big Joke not go after them instead of chasing foreigners working as dishwashers or kitchen aids ?

This is the real age-old problem with Thailand's prostitution. Not Pattaya. It's the locals. 

Just imagine, for a second, if it were farangs who were found having sex with these young girls.

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

A handful to get caught and leave, but hundreds more waiting for their turn to get into the trade...

And what about the corrupt police officers that form a majority proportion of the Thai Police ? Why does Big Joke not go after them instead of chasing foreigners working as dishwashers or kitchen aids ?

Possibly because he likes living?

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Bad business model...customers should be given numbers...like at a bank and then have their number called when it was their turn.

Must be literally thousands of these clubs with underaged girls operating within Thailand...not likely to change...  

just look for billionaire generals, nobody question them how they got mega rich on their government salary

It will be interesting to read/hear what happens to those who accepted the bribes?

Send them south to serve and defend in the troubled provinces for many years and their only entitlement to be food, shelter and medicine. NOTHING ELSE! ????

25 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

It will be interesting to read/hear what happens to those who accepted the bribes?

Send them south to serve and defend in the troubled provinces for many years and their only entitlement to be food, shelter and medicine. NOTHING ELSE! ????

probably the only thing to be checked is whether they were sending the appropriate percentage of the take upstream.

14 minutes ago, rwill said:

probably the only thing to be checked is whether they were sending the appropriate percentage of the take upstream.

Yup and I wonder if Big Joke has the guts (or the 'authority') to weed out ALL the bribe takers?

And - will our host newspaper follow up and keep us informed?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

According to a logbook that was seized from the owner, the bar paid kickbacks to corrupt police officers of up to Bt20,000 per month to allow the prostitution by girls aged under 18 to continue. 

So where was Big Joke when it's his own force at fault ????

Chasing farangs !

6 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

..are you for real..the OP is talking about children.

3 hours ago, justin case said:

just look for billionaire generals, nobody question them how they got mega rich on their government salary

I wonder how much they pay for their Lt/Col and Maj/Gen ranks.

Years ago, I went into a kareoke bar attached to a short time motel where I was staying for one night in Surat Thani. All I wanted was a beer. 

I saw eye contact between an older gal and a very young one. The young thing came over and joined me sitting “quite” close. I bought her a beer and then got the freak out of there (by myself). I doubt that she had celebrated her 18th birthday yet. 

PS The room was quite nice. It came complete with a condom on the pillow. 555

1. One thing that would have been interesting would have been if the article had given any explanation of how the underage girls came to be working there in the first place... As in, did they just come in and apply for the job knowing what it was, or, at the other end of the spectrum, unwillingly sold by their families to pimps/brokers, or something inbetwen.

2. If the girls were in fact earning 500b as their cut per short-time as the article suggests, and the place was busy with customers queued up outside, they may have been earning a decent "salary" -- notwithstanding the fact that it was all illegal and reprehensible.

One 17-year-old said she had to have sex with customers from 8pm to 2am or later if there were still people waiting. A customer would pay Bt1,100 for a “short time” session, of which Bt500 was deducted by the pimp and Bt100 for the room fee, she said.

But whether they actually got to keep the 500b portion per customer, the article isn't exactly clear.

5 hours ago, JRG23 said:

This is the real age-old problem with Thailand's prostitution. Not Pattaya. It's the locals. 

Just imagine, for a second, if it were farangs who were found having sex with these young girls.

How very true!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

It is called "satire"...????

TWO CHILDREN from Myanmar, allegedly forced into prostitution at a karaoke bar in Chiang Rai’s Phan district, have been rescued and the 46-year-old bar owner taken in for questioning.

....hmmm...don't see any satire here!

4 hours ago, timendres said:

Children? Hardly. 

11 hours ago, tandor said:

..are you for real..the OP is talking about children.

The OP said appeared to be under 18.  Do you really trust Thai cops?  Later they said one 17 year old.  How long was she going to be a child a day or two?  I think you may be confusing your terms.  A 17 or 18 year old young woman is not a child. 

14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

The OP said appeared to be under 18.  Do you really trust Thai cops?  Later they said one 17 year old.  How long was she going to be a child a day or two?  I think you may be confusing your terms.  A 17 or 18 year old young woman is not a child. 

...hey!..Im not confusing terms, i cut and pasted the OPs post..go take it up with them.

On 4/4/2019 at 12:54 PM, lvr181 said:

Yup and I wonder if Big Joke has the guts (or the 'authority') to weed out ALL the bribe takers?

And - will our host newspaper follow up and keep us informed?

The answer is now with us. Big Joke DOES NOT have the authority!

Someone made sure of that?

This is about 4km from me. It's a small quiet town. Really surprised when I heard this. Obviously not as quiet as I thought.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived