Some in Mueller's team see report as more damaging to Trump than Barr summary: New York Times

webfact

Some in Mueller's team see report as more damaging to Trump than Barr summary: New York Times

2019-04-04T003918Z_1_LYNXNPEF33010_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-RUSSIA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. Attorney General William Barr's signature is seen at the end of his four-page letter to U.S. congressional leaders on the conclusions of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report on Russian meddling in the 2016 election after the letter was released by the House Judiciary Committee in Washington, U.S. March 24, 2019. REUTERS/Jim Bourg/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Some of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigators have told associates that the findings of their probe are more damaging for President Donald Trumpthan Attorney General William Barr indicated in his four-page summary, the New York Times reported on Wednesday.

Citing government officials and others familiar with the situation, the Times said some members of Mueller's team believe Barr should have included more of their material in the summary he released on March 24 of the investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential campaign.

The Times said the officials and other sources declined to flesh out why some of the special counsel's investigators viewed their findings as potentially more damaging for the president than Barr explained.

It was also not clear how widespread among Mueller's team, which included dozens of lawyers and investigators, are concerns about differences between Barr's summary and Mueller's report, the Times said.

Peter Carr, a spokesman for Mueller, declined to comment. The Justice Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Barr, a Trump appointee, said in the summary that Mueller did not establish that the Trumpcampaign conspired with Russia during the election.

Barr also said the special counsel did not exonerate Trump on obstruction of justice. Barr himself subsequently concluded that Mueller's inquiry had not found sufficient evidence to warrant criminal obstruction charges against Trump.

Trump and the White House have hailed the conclusions as a victory for the president, who has denied conspiring with Russians or obstructing justice.

The attorney general has pledged to release the nearly 400-page report by mid-April with certain portions blacked out for reasons such as protecting secret grand jury information and intelligence-gathering sources and methods.

The Democratic-led House of Representatives Judiciary Committee voted on Wednesday to enable its chairman, Jerrold Nadler, to subpoena the Justice Department to obtain Mueller's unredacted report and all underlying evidence as well as documents and testimony from five former Trump aides, including political strategist Steve Bannon.

(Reporting by Eric Beech; additional reporting by Karen Freifeld and Mohammad Zargham; Editing by Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-04

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current narrative is that trump was told that there were no indictments in the Mueller Report, so he and his minions popped the corks.

Slowly, advisors got through to trump with the details within the Mueller Report, hence the flip-flop and need to hide the report.

It will come out, and it will be hugely damaging. Not sure on a strategy? Normally I'd say let it out and then deal with it, but suspect they'll string it out for as long as possible and hope it doesn't leak. SCOTUS would allow the release or risk losing all credibility.

Really, I'm shocked ( not ). Entirely predictable.

Having lost the chance to keep the investigation going till the election, the plan is apparently to keep insinuating that there is "something" there that hasn't come out. I don't expect them to actually say what that "something" is. Smoke and mirrors.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Some of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigators have told associates that the findings of their probe are more damaging for President Donald Trumpthan Attorney General William Barr indicated in his four-page summary,

Tick, tick, tick...

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We've been told on here for two years that the report would mean the end of Trump. I doubt there will be any "bang" at the end of the ticking. Just another fail for the anti Trumpers, to add to all the rest.

Then the report should be released in full with no redactions.

Soon settle it all...

36 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Having lost the chance to keep the investigation going till the election, the plan is apparently to keep insinuating that there is "something" there that hasn't come out. I don't expect them to actually say what that "something" is. Smoke and mirrors.

Easy for the GOP to put a stop to that strategy. Release the vindicating report and shut the Dems up now.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We've been told on here for two years that the report would mean the end of Trump.

Really?

Mostly I have heard people saying for two years that they are happy to wait to see the final Mueller report.

I believe they think they are still waiting for the report, the Cole’s Notes seem capricious.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You know very well that the report can't be released without redactions for legal reasons, so perhaps you can stop with the deflections.

How, exactly, do we know what, and how much, needs to be redacted? All we have are Cole’s Notes of a summary.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You know very well that the report can't be released without redactions for legal reasons, so perhaps you can stop with the deflections.

So all the world gets is 4 pages released by a trump appointee...

How convenient for trump, eh...

Where's wikileaks when you really need them?

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmm. Did Reagan go to jail for that? Trump is as likely to carry on regardless as Reagan did.

Not all vindication comes in a timely fashion.

But when it comes, even at a later date, it allows us to attempt to not make the same mistakes again. Unless, of course, you thought that I/C was an outstanding plan to begin with...

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

So all the world gets is 4 pages released by a trump appointee...

How convenient for trump, eh...

Where's wikileaks when you really need them?

The report is going to be released with redactions, but perhaps Al Jazeera got that wrong. 

4 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Not all vindication comes in a timely fashion.

But when it comes, even at a later date, it allows us to attempt to not make the same mistakes again. Unless, of course, you thought that I/C was an outstanding plan to begin with...

No, I think Reagan should have died in jail for it.

Of course the report is damaging. Why else would Barr be working so hard to cover it up? If it truly offered the exoneration that Trump has falsely been claiming, they would be anxious to release it, and all of it. But, it shows the way that Trump operates, it probably shows some form of collusion, and it probably shows many high crimes and misdemeanors. That is just who Trump is. Expecting anything different from him, is like expecting the average European to not smoke, or to leave a tip, after eating out at a nice restaurant. It is like expecting the average American to speak two languages or more. It is like expecting a large Cobra to stay calm around a crowd, and not attack. Some things should just be expected.

I say all this in jest, just in case the PC crowd is out today.

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

Really?

Mostly I have heard people saying for two years that they are happy to wait to see the final Mueller report.

I believe they think they are still waiting for the report, the Cole’s Notes seem capricious.

When did you learn the mueller report release was guided by laws(rules and regulations )?

42 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Of course the report is damaging.

This is apparent by his deteriorating mental state. Just looks at all his monumental gaffes since the weekend. He sees that he will be exposed as a fraud, cheat, liar, adulterer and that's the worst thing his pysche can deal with. He's under tremendous stress, and that accelerates his FTD-dementia, and his meds can't keep up. I bet he smells toast 7x24.

18 minutes ago, riclag said:

When did you learn the mueller report release was guided by laws(rules and regulations )

I have no idea what you are trying to say. The MR has not been released. The current indications seem to point to a final decision on if, and what is released, or not, being made in the courts.

Just now, mikebike said:

I have no idea what you are trying to say. The MR has not been released. The current indications seem to point to a final decision on if, and what is released, or not, being made in the courts.

Sure it has Mueller confirmed it 

56 minutes ago, riclag said:

When did you learn the mueller report release was guided by laws(rules and regulations )?

I am not sure if this answers your question, but below is a link to 28 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) section 600.9.  It is entitled as "Notification and reports by the Attorney General" in regards to reports submitted to the Attorney General by Special Counsel. 

It is a little long, so I'll just leave a link from the Cornell Law School website.  I hope this helps.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/28/600.9

Archived