Pattaya in crisis: 400 million baht beach washed into the sea

webfact

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

I avoided to specify countries but from north to south and east to west of ASIA and middle east

One avoids the truth through generalization ... :thumbsup:

So pay 400 million baht to put it there then 105 million to drag it back out of the sea and every time they sign the paper they split 10% - they know exactly what they are doing!! Pattaya has a huge financial allowance from central Government!!

7 hours ago, petermik said:

The "old" beach promenade had raised banking in many places where folk could sit under the shade of the numerous trees at that time....thais at weekend especially came to picnic and sit on the grass....yes it needed some maintenance and a little updating but the beach rarely suffered in those days,it was a nice well shaded walkway and enjoyed by many.....but someone decided it needed "upgrading" and now look at it :cheesy:

The banking wasn't raised it was at street level same as today. During some times of the year during high tide the water would almost Crest the walk during storms. It would cause the same channels as 4 days ago and wash out more sand. The sand level got so low I thought the light posts were going to fall over.  Many trees died because of this. 

Even in those days after flooding they would bring the backhoes in at night to fill in the channels. 

This photo is from 2012.

2012-10-25-0071.jpg

3 hours ago, marinediscoking said:

The banking wasn't raised it was at street level same as today. During some times of the year during high tide the water would almost Crest the walk during storms. It would cause the same channels as 4 days ago and wash out more sand. The sand level got so low I thought the light posts were going to fall over.  Many trees died because of this. 

Even in those days after flooding they would bring the backhoes in at night to fill in the channels. 

This photo is from 2012.

2012-10-25-0071.jpg

Wow - Walking down the memory lane which give a moment of reflection - same same, but different ... :thumbsup:

On 4/4/2019 at 6:53 PM, LoS itaint said:

Imagine if you are the proud owner of a proprty that has maintained its market value because its location is within walking distance of Pattaya beach. In the space of 2 days as well as the beach being washed away so has the value of your property. The incompetence of the local council & the nominated contractors knows no bounds, not to mention the vendors but i will. Today in Soi 3 i witnessed a Thai women emptying a wok full of old cooking oil down a drain, last week i saw another women poking a plastic carrier bag down a drain with a stick!...Many of Thailands problems go back to a lack or poor education

Replace 'proud owner' with ' stupid owner'

My thinking was on my walks along the beach during this winter: "This will go badly wrong"

But don't ask experienced farangs, because you never will issue a work permit to them. 

Keep the sand loads coming by transport and see how it leaves by nature.. 

My Dutch uncle built "Polders" and my Dad on a dredger built "Grodens" far into the sea where already people living safe. There are parts of Singapore that are so far extended that if you step into the sea you are outside the 12 miles zone, done by experienced Dutch companies.

Golden Rule of cost line and dike builders:

First control the sea and then extend your Land..  

(Hint: what Influence did the Bali Hai Pier has on the tidal and created by adverse weather currents??)

On 4/4/2019 at 12:11 PM, webfact said:

He told the media that mother nature was to blame and the Harbor Department always accepted that something like this could happen. 

So this thought was in the original planning and budgeting phase? Rather odd. 

Most of the 400 million I suspect has not been wasted in all probability as of that sum 60 % was siphoned off in bribes and kickbacks and that that 240 million has no doubt now been re-circulated into local BMW and Mercedes-Benz dealerships, gold shops and building companies so hence benefiting the local community.   So in fact only 160 million was wasted as it has now been washed away. 

Just imagine if the Pattaya Town Hall authorized engineering works to include a professional approach requiring appropriate sewage and drainage designs together with reclamation and beautification of the beach area just how much that would cost ?  Running no doubt into 1 to 2 billion , or more, then the local businesses would benefit again, this time even more so.

On 4/5/2019 at 1:28 PM, petermik said:

The "old" beach promenade had raised banking in many places where folk could sit under the shade of the numerous trees at that time....thais at weekend especially came to picnic and sit on the grass....yes it needed some maintenance and a little updating but the beach rarely suffered in those days,it was a nice well shaded walkway and enjoyed by many.....but someone decided it needed "upgrading" and now look at it :cheesy:

someone decided needed upgrading or saw a nice shiny new car sitting in a showroom?

On 4/4/2019 at 7:36 PM, Pattaya46 said:

A similar system used just 10 km south of Pattaya (On GoogleMaps)

sea-amses-south-pattaya-2.JPG

Bit of a difference though. The problem with Pattaya beach isn't the tides or swell, it's the rain run-off that's coming from the eastern parts of the city (between Beach Rd and #3 Road) and flowing down to the ocean. They don't have adequate drainage to handle the flow or channel it to another area. As a result a lot of it flows down until it hits Beach road then overflows onto the beach at various low spots.

Off shore breakwaters wouldn't do a thing to stop that.

On 4/6/2019 at 1:31 AM, See Will said:

My thinking was on my walks along the beach during this winter: "This will go badly wrong"

But don't ask experienced farangs, because you never will issue a work permit to them. 

Keep the sand loads coming by transport and see how it leaves by nature.. 

My Dutch uncle built "Polders" and my Dad on a dredger built "Grodens" far into the sea where already people living safe. There are parts of Singapore that are so far extended that if you step into the sea you are outside the 12 miles zone, done by experienced Dutch companies.

Golden Rule of cost line and dike builders:

First control the sea and then extend your Land..  

(Hint: what Influence did the Bali Hai Pier has on the tidal and created by adverse weather currents??)

Another good example is Hong Kong Harbour.  Thais just are not smart enough to do it by themselves but too bloody stupid to let anyone else do it for them when there are good examples all over the world. As someone has already suggested, if they start spending money on overseas experts, there will not be enough for themselves when "share out time" comes around.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

The rest of their beautiful beach will be washed away by the waves of the next cold season. Never mind, Chinese don't stay at beautiful beaches.

At least their cigarette butts got washed away.

Another good example is Hong Kong Harbour.  Thais just are not smart enough to do it by themselves but too bloody stupid to let anyone else do it for them when there are good examples all over the world. As someone has already suggested, if they start spending money on overseas experts, there will not be enough for themselves when "share out time" comes around.

Well said...We all go to experts or professionals when needed. The “stupidity” here is when you don’t and you end up wasting tax revenue on city projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived