Pattaya in crisis: 400 million baht beach washed into the sea

webfact

Beach road has always had flooding that eroded the beach but things were not that bad really till after the crappy 2013 beach remodel when they added another lane and cut down a whole shit load of trees that did a lot to stop the beach erosion and slowed down the flooding...

Years ago in the 70s and 80s and maybe some of the 90s there were even more trees on the beach then to stop the erosion...Pattaya beach back then was really nice....

Zero thought went into the construction of the new promenade in regards to flood waters, its as flat as a pancake...

The old promenade before 2013 was actually pretty smartly designed to help lessen the effects of flooding on the beach...   

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

And one more good downpour to wash it all back out to sea again. Permanent work for the dredgers it would seem then throughout the rainy season.

yes they heavy digger crew already knew this would happen so it means they have permanent work , sand rain flush , sand rain flush and repeat , and i dont believe it cost 400 million baht , that means 200 million baht in the authorities back pocket and 200 million baht to do the job and guess what it will happen again 

Obviously they have to have a Suction Dredge, with the long floating pipes .... permanently stationed there, ... and just cordon off large sections of the beach at a time, build small lake sections to fill, .... and replenish the sand, ....  as the water runs back in to the sea ....

.... Like I do not know whether any of you remembered the Great and beautiful (Dope Smokers) lake in just about the center of Phnom Phen Cambodia, .... it only took them a couple of years I think, to dredge the amount of sand out of the Mekong River, that was not missed, ... and fill The whole Beautiful (Great) bastard up to + 10 M about I think. ... and that was one VERY BIG LAKE !!! ... and it WAS filled right up, and to about +7 M or so i would say .... and stuff the dope smokers, poor people, and other peoples Beauty, .....and look out for the Korean backed (And government bribed ?)  Condos and shopping centers due to open up there soon !!! ... Like Higher worth ? Tourism ??? ... (Which I think would be worth Boycotting) .....

... And well, along with Changai airport, ... Hongkong ? .... and well, countless development sites world wise ....

So Suction Dredges can efficiently move sand ... And any where I reckon. ... Even in Pattaya. .... 

12 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Strange what some people find amusing,

I just seen on the news that parts of Nevada have been washed away by floodwaters...that must be really hilarious alltogether?

In Nevada it was a tragedy involving loss of life and damage to people's property, as with natural disasters generally no one was to blame.

Edit. I see you subsequently corrected your post to Nebraska, though similar floods did actually happen five years ago in Nevada, both situations were disastrous.

This situation is entirely different. Nearly half a billion baht of funding disappeared on a white elephant vanity project with entirely predictable results (though I think most people assumed the beach would last until the rainy season at least). No homes or lives were lost, only the face of those who squandered and benefitted from the money.

At the same time as the beach was being washed away however, people's cars and property were being written off around town due to widespread flooding. So yes, the beach washing away so quickly is rather funny - wasn't it just one year ago the authorities were announcing it would be the Miami of Asia?

What isn't so funny is how such a huge amount of money was wasted on this, instead of being used for the public good on decent drainage and flood prevention systems. 

12 hours ago, Caine said:

Bunch of cowboys nothing is ever fixed properly in Thailand. Recent experiences, watch repair lasted 48 hrs, Cooker repair lasted 4hrs, and IPad repair didn’t last 5 min. Bloody useless.

It takes a special kind of skill to repair something for just long enough to get paid and leave. 

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd love to be a fly on the council walls as they all try to find someone to blame.

Well, that's just the problem. No individual will be blamed because that is not the Thai way. Those who made the original decision - and every other decision affecting Pattaya - are either members of a particular dominant family, in the thrall of a particular dominant family, or just too scared to speak out against any dumbass suggestion by a member or associate of a particular dominant family. 

15 hours ago, Kim J said:

You are making the mistake of assuming brains and logic matter, because here in Thailand it counts for nothing.

You seem to be forgetting the profit motive for this "project" is first and foremost. They are not as stupid as they appear. 

22 hours ago, brokenbone said:

i have no malice or gleeful comments,

they tried and it didnt work out, pity.

but sand alone does not cut it anyway,

the wastewater without filter also prevent it from ever

becoming a wonderful beach

I couldn't possibly explain it but I learned decades ago that there is a different characteristic to "transplanted" sand than original sand. The transplanted version will not stay where it was put.

Had Thailand requested knowledge and advice from the outside world about this, before just bumbling ahead with the transplant, they would have known better. But ........ TIT.

22 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

This is just too funny!! ????

tragic I call it, tragic, incompetence.  The idiots need to build breakwaters and vertical groynes. My cat would do a better job of planning what needs to be done and last time I checked, she had not studied hydrography.  Do they not know anything about the modern World?  As i said in a previous post, insanity reigns supreme. 

They are doing a pretty good job refilling in the sand. They are about half way done nearing center rd after last night. They are working at low tide and getting most of the sand back. The wash out formed sand deltas extending past the shore line as you can see in the photos.

I have been jogging the beach since the 90's and beach rd. has always flooded. However it keeps getting worse since the growth in hotels and condos in the center of pattaya as very few lots exist now which absorbed some of the rain in the past. The former mayor took a lot of heat after expanding beach rd and new promenade after flooding shortly after completion. His party was shocked after losing in last week's election.  Voters wished up. I don't see city officials putting in run offs directly into the bay but ripping up beach rd.

20190404_211303.jpg

20190404_210557.jpg

23 hours ago, captnhoy said:

Please, someone here on TV plug in the details about the time this happened before. Was it 5 or 6 years ago? First, they made a beach. Then it washed away. I wonder if all the budget gets spent on "beach"?

Far as I remember the beach never washed away before they widened Beach Rd.

Certainly some local erosion where water washed over the walkway, but most of the beach stayed in place.

23 hours ago, GaryAdriaenssens said:

The beginning of the end for PARADISE!!! ????

Nah. The beginning of the end was when Purachai destroyed the nightlife and the middle was when they destroyed the decent walkway and built that stupid marina and allowed that monstrocity in front of the lookout.

IMO it's getting towards the end, when farangs abandon the place entirely. Not much left worth going there for, for the average monger.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Far as I remember the beach never washed away before they widened Beach Rd.

Certainly some local erosion where water washed over the walkway, but most of the beach stayed in place.

The "old" beach promenade had raised banking in many places where folk could sit under the shade of the numerous trees at that time....thais at weekend especially came to picnic and sit on the grass....yes it needed some maintenance and a little updating but the beach rarely suffered in those days,it was a nice well shaded walkway and enjoyed by many.....but someone decided it needed "upgrading" and now look at it :cheesy:

On 4/4/2019 at 1:11 PM, webfact said:

Pattaya in crisis: 400 million baht beach washed into the sea

it's for the 10th time. No crises, just richer contractors and sand transporters.No one uses the beach and Nobody cares anymore, next topic please:coffee1:

20 hours ago, mike787 said:

Farang = antichrist. Why else is immigration making life painful for us.

You really only need to read this thread to come to the conclusion that Thai immigration is just returning the bile and contempt showered on their country and people by it's guests.

You get what you give as The New Radicals. said.

Please, someone here on TV plug in the details about the time this happened before. Was it 5 or 6 years ago? First, they made a beach. Then it washed away. I wonder if all the budget gets spent on "beach"?
That would probably be the "Vamco" storm it was huge...not surprisingly it ruined the promenade and the cracks where papered over ready for the next one.

48 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

I think the end was some 8-10 years ago right after the Invasion of Asian countries

The beginning of the end came with the Russians topped with the Indians and may end with the Africans ...

Archived