Pattaya devastated by storms - locals and tourists suffer as roads impassable

webfact

Pattaya devastated by storms - locals and tourists suffer as roads impassable

8pm_VI.jpg

Picture: The Pattaya News

The Pattaya News said that Pattaya had been warned.

The met office had said last weekend that there would be big summer storms in the upper reaches of Thailand and that there would be rain, lightning and hail. 

But few expected it to be this bad at the much trumpeted "world class resort". 

Huge swathes of the Bang Lamung area were turned into a lake.

Some roads were under one meter of water rendering them impassable. 

Tourists, residents and locals were all seriously affected. 

They said that a massive 2 hour burst of rain hit on Wednesday afternoon. 

In another story they reported that much of a new 400 million baht beach project had simply been washed into the sea. 

Source: The Pattaya News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-04

Expect to see crews out there next week clearing the drains, which should of course have been done in the dry season. Every year the same thing happens, and every year everyone seems surprised. Until they get qualified engineers in to install quality drainage, and a year round cleaning programme in operation, expect to see more of the same.

What kind of engineer this city has?, They really think a some bitumen and drains makes a road? Never heard of leveling/slope I suppose? Just as cheap as possible!

55 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Plenty of sand for castle builders should be found on Ko Lan about now????

I used to love that little hideaway before the Chinese invasion of that little treasure

42 minutes ago, RotMahKid said:

What kind of engineer this city has?, They really think a some bitumen and drains makes a road? Never heard of leveling/slope I suppose? Just as cheap as possible!

It has to be done cheaply, as of the alloted funds, only a maximum of 70% goes into the construction, the rest ends up in private pockets. 

1 hour ago, RotMahKid said:

Someone has to pocket the saved cash, and the pockets are very deep.

Outside the local school I would say there are around 10 - 15 food-carts there daily and each and everyone empties their grease and crap into the drain every day - surprise, surprise the place is flooded as soon as there is any heavy downpour as the stinking rancid smelling drains are full.

Braindead zombies all over the City are doing the same thing

3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Expect to see crews out there next week clearing the drains, which should of course have been done in the dry season. Every year the same thing happens, and every year everyone seems surprised. Until they get qualified engineers in to install quality drainage, and a year round cleaning programme in operation, expect to see more of the same.

Yes, this is an repeating event - the positive is that the street-vendors in this period do not need to plan their water supply used for making their delicious street food ... :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Here on Samui I have seen Government workers sweeping all the sand into the drains the floods in Samui happen every year without fail it’s called bad planning by not having a proper drainage system built before they start doing anything else they then try to rectify it when it’s to late.

If man continues to waterproof the ground by covering it in concrete and tar what else can you expect but the annual rain fall will sit on top of it......

The word annual is a bit of a give away to expect this to happen on a regular basis. i.e. every year.

No matter how hard they try to clean out drains - the locals will just continue to dump stuff down them. Cooking Oil, plastic bags, poly food boxes and as mentioned already tons of sand swept down the drains by the very people who should not do that ! 

I would guess in another 30 years this will be the same or worse and they will keep on blaming global warming....instead of global stupidity.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

That photo is hilarious, made me laugh out loud 

The i

2 hours ago, smedly said:

That photo is hilarious, made me laugh out loud 

3 hours ago, isaantom said:

IMG-20181217-WA0000.jpg

The intelligencia, just the Prime Minister helping out around the house.

4 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

They don't have what is generally considered to be engineers, just people who play at engineering

A similar violent tropical storm hit my area of Khon Kaen Province yesterday afternoon. Roads became blocked with fallen trees, power lines were brought down, farm buildings and houses damaged, also market stalls with their produce destroyed. I was caught out whilst driving and it was horrendous, the worst I have ever experienced in 19 years of living in LOS (land of Storms). This storm also lasted 2 hours but for the farmers, their fields became flooded with much needed water.

5 hours ago, Kim J said:

I can not help but notice in the video clip, the flooded road adjacent to the railway by Soi Kaothato. Coincidentally you can also see the construction work where they are putting a pumping station to prevent this happening.

My only question is: Where are they going to pump the water to when this is completed? I would say all they will do is pump water from this location and compound flooding problems somewhere else, because nothing is ever thought through or planned properly.

Some years ago I remember them causing chaos for traffic and local businesses around Soi Buakhow, Soi Dianna, etc, excavating and putting in new larger sewers to stop flooding in the area. But what has changed? Every time there is heavy rain Soi Buakhow still floods.

Too much unregulated and poorly planned development has gone on in the past, and unfortunately this problem of flooding, and indeed many other problems will never be solved in Pattaya, because the only way would be to start again and build the City around proper infrastructure, in a logical thought out manner.

They pump everything downhill to the Beach the reason it washed out,  all the water from Sukhumvit where the tunnel was build is pumped down to the beach the reason it washed out! Oh, should I have told the officials before they spent all that money?

3 hours ago, scotinsiam said:

Outside the local school I would say there are around 10 - 15 food-carts there daily and each and everyone empties their grease and crap into the drain every day - surprise, surprise the place is flooded as soon as there is any heavy downpour as the stinking rancid smelling drains are full.

Braindead zombies all over the City are doing the same thing

You can see Pattaya from Cambodia. I live and learn.

Archived