Pattaya devastated by storms - locals and tourists suffer as roads impassable

webfact

I can't understand why they bother with the beach, the sea water is so filthy. Tourists don't come to Pattaya for the beaches. They come to see the largest sex supermarket in the world, the most decadent residents. The drunks, the brawling and all the other things that makes it so different from anywhere else 

8 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Expect to see crews out there next week clearing the drains, which should of course have been done in the dry season. Every year the same thing happens, and every year everyone seems surprised. Until they get qualified engineers in to install quality drainage, and a year round cleaning programme in operation, expect to see more of the same.

A very un-Thai approach and therefore very unlikely.

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

The brain power of the average Thai is amazing .

Someone was forward thinking when they built that fence.  Not so tall that you can't easily throw water and trash over top.

8 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

Wonder what was the actual cost of 400 Million Baht of sand?

I guess they will be looking for another 400 Million to fix it now. What a cash cow.

It works out, roughly, at 1 baht per grain.

i was in pattaya when that rain hit. it was for like 2 hours and it was hard but not that bad. rainy season must be terrible here lol. so strange that flooding problems are ingnored in a place that rains like 5 months a year. i have to believe in most places in the world the population of the country would demand more from the local authorities. i guess you get the government you deserve in most cases.

10 hours ago, emptypockets said:

You can see Pattaya from Cambodia. I live and learn.

Actually I cannot see Pattaya from Cambodia nor from my place in Vietnam, however I can see it when I am in my condo in Pattaya,

16 hours ago, Kim J said:

I can not help but notice in the video clip, the flooded road adjacent to the railway by Soi Kaothato. Coincidentally you can also see the construction work where they are putting a pumping station to prevent this happening.

My only question is: Where are they going to pump the water to when this is completed? I would say all they will do is pump water from this location and compound flooding problems somewhere else, because nothing is ever thought through or planned properly.

Some years ago I remember them causing chaos for traffic and local businesses around Soi Buakhow, Soi Dianna, etc, excavating and putting in new larger sewers to stop flooding in the area. But what has changed? Every time there is heavy rain Soi Buakhow still floods.

Too much unregulated and poorly planned development has gone on in the past, and unfortunately this problem of flooding, and indeed many other problems will never be solved in Pattaya, because the only way would be to start again and build the City around proper infrastructure, in a logical thought out manner.

When I first came to Thailand around 1985, Soi Buakhow and Soi Dianna area etc was a swamp and water lay there most of the year, now still the same, why were they allowed to fill full of concrete? and make it a bigger swamp.

17 hours ago, thecyclist said:

It has to be done cheaply, as of the alloted funds, only a maximum of 70% goes into the construction, the rest ends up in private pockets. 

You've got that the wrong way around, 30% for construction 70% into private accounts.

Ban Lamung has needed a good cleansing for a long time!

17 hours ago, isaantom said:

IMG-20181217-WA0000.jpg

Maybe an opening beckons in the water management department they need all the help they can get..

it's obviously going to be a long clear-up operation with those skills... Thai logic at work!

Just an observation, about one minute into the video you see the cars at a standstill going over a level crossing..........Not one thought to leave the rails clear in case a train should just happen by.............Oh!...there is a space, quick, I can get in there......:smile:

Around 1989 when we moved from BKK to Pattaya, we purchased a house on a road one block South of Thra Prya just South of Pratnap Hill. We are free of flooding and feel sorry for those downtown and South of us.  We never go downtown except to shop and eat at Central. We now share our time between Pattaya and Ayutthaya.

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Just an observation, about one minute into the video you see the cars at a standstill going over a level crossing..........Not one thought to leave the rails clear in case a train should just happen by.............Oh!...there is a space, quick, I can get in there......:smile:

We left Burger King at the Esso Station Sukhumvit Road (shown at the end of the video) It was just starting to get bad but when we reached the railway road junction also on the video it was already chaos with about a foot of water, and cars stopped everywhere, we were in our SUV so was not so much a problem but going up the hill was like going up rapids and small cars and bikes were having a problem against the torrent.

9 hours ago, scotinsiam said:

Actually I cannot see Pattaya from Cambodia nor from my place in Vietnam, however I can see it when I am in my condo in Pattaya,

The best view of Pattaya is from any place you cant see it ... :thumbsup:

On 4/4/2019 at 1:39 PM, Kim J said:

I can not help but notice in the video clip, the flooded road adjacent to the railway by Soi Kaothato. Coincidentally you can also see the construction work where they are putting a pumping station to prevent this happening.

My only question is: Where are they going to pump the water to when this is completed?

Pump it to the bright side, I don't care ???? 

Actually I think they'll try to pump it to Sukhumvit, which is just as low laying ground as that forever flooding patch. Will never work, should demolish the area and build a big canal to the sea, for a simple reason:

http://en-gb.topographic-map.com/places/Pattaya-City-5752177/

lowlands.JPG.51f82574a7779127b03782f060a1644e.JPG

That Khao in Khao Talo is there for a reason. Greetings to you lowlanders from 250ft up!

Archived