AOT praised for smoking ban: figures reveal that inside smoking rooms was worse than even Chiang Mai!

webfact

AOT praised for smoking ban: figures reveal that inside smoking rooms was worse than even Chiang Mai!

9pm.jpg

PIcture: Manager

A tobacco awareness and research group has praised the Airports Authority of Thailand for banning smoking both inside and outside six airports in the kingdom. 

The ban came into effect on February 3rd at airports including Suvarnabhumi, Don Muang and Chiang Mai. 

Dr Ronachai Khonsakon of the Tobacco research and Knowledge Management Center wrote a letter to the AOT praising the moves. 

He revealed that levels of PM 2.5 particulate inside smoking rooms at Suvarabhumi in 2013 hit 773. 

That is off the danger scale and much higher than even Chiang Mai is experiencing during their ongoing smog crisis. 

The smoke would dissipate from the rooms and affect the areas where smoking was banned making it four times worse at Thai airports than studies from US airports had shown.

The blanket ban in place now is contributing to better air quality and better health for passengers at airports, said Dr Ronachai. 

Source: Manager

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-04

They should have been reprimanded for not maintaining sufficient ventilation in those hell hole rooms. I'm not saying smoking is in any way healthy but is not illegal,  there was no reason to make those rooms so unpleasant for those that indulge.

28 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

regarding air quality:  is this becoming an international standard for comparison?

that might force them to do something finally

I doubt it. The Thai road fatality figures are often used as an international standard for comparison but they don't do anything about that. 

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

They should have been reprimanded for not maintaining sufficient ventilation in those hell hole rooms. I'm not saying smoking is in any way healthy but is not illegal,  there was no reason to make those rooms so unpleasant for those that indulge.

they did that on purpose. "You want smoke? Take this!"

So I would think that the sale of tobacco products have been taken off the shelves in the duty free shops so as not to appear to be hypocritical  ? No mention of vaping .  Outside of swampy no smoking ?  is that really happening ?   Or is this a belated April Fools joke ?

13 minutes ago, superal said:

So I would think that the sale of tobacco products have been taken off the shelves in the duty free shops so as not to appear to be hypocritical  ? No mention of vaping .  Outside of swampy no smoking ?  is that really happening ?   Or is this a belated April Fools joke ?

Meanwhile they grow more and more obese.

Are they smokers..?

Or just Jersey's,Holsteins,Herefords or Angus?

My guess is on Angus-excellent Soylent Green..

What this article elegantly forgot to refer to is the fact, that a smoking room is a voluntary choice by smokers - knowing exactly what to expect.

Chiang Mai breathing air disaster though is not a voluntary choice by all the citizens. Tourists stay away because the have a choice. Those who directly benefit of this slash-and-burn crime have also the choice and they quite obviously seem to have chosen to keep certain eyes and ears closed by those who should protect all those who do not have the choice. 

The whole discussion is pathetic; the powers-to-be have completely and utterly failed and the chief-in-chiefs winging in and giving a seven days deadline is nothing short of article 44! 

Archived