Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

I’ve been to the Philippines long ago maybe 20 yrs ago. I didn’t explore much was a business and ate a person one night. Manila seems much like most big cities like Los Angeles not easy to feel

safe. 

Read through an article I think was TV and from a brief read it’s

Similar in costs money needed in bank or land or?  A person would

have to go there rent a place 1-2 months and look if that’s what you want do, 

If the reason is money savings and English speaking that’s nit the best of reasons . Even though I know very little Thai I can sort it

out and most in the village are good people. 

I was a Salesman for 35 years traveling like a mad man. A truth is

dont like to talk to people much. 30 minutes is enough. I was successful because I told it as it was and no blowing smoke 

uo their ass.,. Aerospace field 

Anyway take a look before you jump in..... maybe in the later years 64 now it will be a finical crunch but just work it out. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes it is only about the money according to dumb and simplistic people.

It's always about the money in the final analysis. 

Show me how it's not 

You have suddenly fallen in love with the Philippines after committing to Thailand all these years? 

• Haha 2

Dating and identification card.

If you plan to date a pinay, many of them do not have identity card. You should ask first, and she should have postal identity card, or voters identity card, or passport. Only these 3 id can you trust.

Some only have student id card or express id card, these are not reliable.

Sometimes its difficult to guess a persons age.

Law states a pinay must be minimum 18 years old, strictly no exceptions.

They can lie about their age just to be with a foreigner. Do not take any chances here. Foreigners has been reported to police for beeing with a minor in public or private place. Demand identity card first when in doubt, and avoid jail.

Regards

ExpatPH

Edited by ExpatPH
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

With similar lifestyle to TH, money last longer in PH due to weaker peso. I easy spend 65.000 THB per month in TH, I seldom spent more than 75.000 PHP per month.

According to my Filipino friends who work as teachers in Bangkok , they think it's cheaper living in Thailand than their own country! 

Maybe not because of the food, but the whole picture, for instance clothes are cheaper here so they buy T-shirts and send it back to their family in PH. Every month they send a package home to their families loaded with clothes, food and other stuff not avalable in PH.  

Of course they all tell me that rent, electricity etc is cheaper in Bangkok , but we already knew that. 
The only thing they are positive about PH are the beautiful white beaches and the nature outside the cities.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I think we all realise that and not many would prefer to move to PH, but quite  a few will have no choice because the new rules won't allow them to stay here, either because they can't afford to, or can't prove their income to the satisfaction of TI. He isn't trying to sell PH to those of us who wish and can afford to stay here. PH is part of my contingency plan, along with Vietnam and Cambodia if visa extensions continue to become more onerous.

Mine is Penang. 

Another example of how unreasonable thai immigration are these days. Still some live in denial, others don't see the writing on the wall. Get out foreigners, you're not wanted here long term, and we do our best every quarter to make it more difficult for you.

• Like 2

ExpatPH, thanks so much for this thread. Im actually moving from LoS to Philippines (Dumaguete) next month so a lot of this is very timely and helpful.

Couple of things Id like a bit more on: 

Driving - licenses, renting a bike, helmet/ID stops etc - outside of the main cities obviously

Banking. Big one this. Really not sure whether to risk taking enough with me from Thailand to fund my first few months (initially some travel and then first month in new job) or to attempt to use my current banking provider from Thailand with its requisite OTP nonsense , or another solution yet TBA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NicUnderTheSea said:

ExpatPH, thanks so much for this thread. Im actually moving from LoS to Philippines (Dumaguete) next month so a lot of this is very timely and helpful.

Driving - licenses, renting a bike, helmet/ID stops etc - outside of the main cities obviously

Banking. Big one this. Really not sure whether to risk taking enough with me from Thailand to fund my first few months (initially some travel and then first month in new job) or to attempt to use my current banking provider from Thailand with its requisite OTP nonsense , or another solution yet TBA

The other thing to remember "only" if sleep is a top priority to you.  Be careful where you live.  Make sure you check the location out during the day and night for screaming roosters.  I can't f******g stand them.  One of the BIG things I loved Thailand for.  If not a problem for you, disregard. Otherwise, try to find a peaceful place (if you can).  Also, bikes are very load there, and a lot of loud music all hours of the day/night. That can be a good/bad thing or doesn't matter depending on the individual. Good luck on your move...hope it goes well...plus, enjoy the island hoping, it is amazing.

Edited by mike787
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NicUnderTheSea said:

Dumaguete is a good option. Good expat community, you meet them on 'Why Not' restaurant on the promenade (beach walk).

They have their own local forum, will look into my notes and pm you if I find it.

Strict police there, many checkpoints, must wear helmet. LTO there demand urin test (drug tes).

40 minutes ago, NicUnderTheSea said:

Pm sent

14 hours ago, emptypockets said:

It's always about the money in the final analysis. 

Show me how it's not 

You have suddenly fallen in love with the Philippines after committing to Thailand all these years? 

It’s all about preferences.

If i relocate to the Phillipines  i would not save any money so how is such move than purely money related?

i never said Thailand is an expensive country to live in.

I just said the rigid frequently changing visa conditions that is what i am fed up with and that is what makes me look at other options. As i said for folks under 50 years there is not even an easy 1 year visum available to be paid upfront with unlimited goings and comings so it is  just giving me an unwelcome feeling and i dont like to have that feeling.

And for the retirees i can understand they too are beginning to have enough from all the requirements i sure most these guys got 800 k its just the whole proces being over the top.

fingerprint eyescan pics hone pics wife map home moneybank book 24 hour notification 10,000?bht fines etc etc etc and that each 90 days it is not something i look forward too so yes all info about phills Cambodia and vietnam and panama I interesting with.

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Great thread, I love the Philippines, big fan of Davao, Tagum, Cebu, Bohol & Coron but not so hot on the likes of Manila / Angeles... 

Thailand shades it for me with the standards of accommodation & food but wouldn't hesitate to consider full time in the Philippines if the visa/immigration situation continues to get worse (I've no problem leaving 800k untouched in an account or twice that, but I do have a problem if I'm going to constantly have to traipse to Immigration to show it's still there and/or do TM30s etc...)

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NicUnderTheSea said:

You wanna share here at all about how you've prepared for the move and generally how you're planning to proceed? Did you make any number of exploratory trips ahead of the big move trip?

Or are you the just "get on a plane and go" type?

2 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

Expat, for those who might be planning to check out the Cebu and surrounding area, can you address the issue of flight destination if coming from Thailand, in terms of whether a person would want to fly directly into Cebu, or are there any reasons to start in Manila first?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, NicUnderTheSea said:

If your money are not on bank/visa account back in your home country, I still have a few options.

Previously my Bangkok bank ATM card worked in Metrobank here, but thats years ago. Email your bank.

Unsure OTP will work from TH to PH, one time password have a time limit doesn' it?

SMS from Thailand to PH can take 10 minute or 1 hour, or never. Email your bank.

You will need Roaming activated before you travel and balance for time ahead!

High risk to rely on OTP. 

1. You can maximum bring with you 10.000$ equal to 520.000 peso here. Higher amount require that you report it on Customs form given inflight, go on 'red' at customs, and maybe more requirements. Possibly documentation where founds came from, or advanced approval, don't know. Personally I would not risk carry more than 2000$. That said, 520.000 peso would normally last 7-10 months for many average expats here, if you take that risk.

2. Transfer with WU from Thailand to yourself in PH. Since you probably dont have a PH local cellphone number, you can use 'secret question, and answer, on transfer form, and passport number as well.

3. Transfer via Zoom.

And maybe others will come with more.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Expat, for those who might be planning to check out the Cebu and surrounding area, can you address the issue of flight destination if coming from Thailand, in terms of whether a person would want to fly directly into Cebu, or are there any reasons to start in Manila first?

1. You fly direct to Cebu to save 6 hours time.

2. You fly via Manila to avoid customs, or need a smoke, designated area located at parking area.

Choose what's best for you.

3. Some like Manila, others hate the busy overloaded city. Not for me personally.

Before choose any destination, look youtube videos before travel, come on 29 days stay first. Never move anyplace directly without due dilligence, and already been in country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1