Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

5 hours ago, rodentwarrior said:

I bought my condo in 2011.  No problems with purchase (Ayala Land), got the title before the building was ready for handover, no hassle at all.  The title for my car parking space had a spelling error in my name, they rectified this.

Yes nice but in all fairness Thailand often gives a free parking place when buying a condo while in Phillipines they charge you 500,000-800,000 pesos. And since developers there are like a cartel all of them charging for parkings. Also 99% of units are bare shells.. no aircon no exhaust hood no cooking plate very poorly handover of new units in Phillipines.. another problem I haven’t been in a Condominium in Phillipines without noticing loose tiles some units and hallways lovbies etc have already loose tiles on the day u move in...They only use cementos i think.

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cerox said:

Thank you Destiny, that is valuable feedback. Do they charge for motorbike parking too? Or only cars? That would be another reason to just keep it simple with no own vehicle first.

Just never buy a parking space best is to rent those spaces for parking a car.

I think in first months in City u dont need own a car or a bike.

Taxies are fine and cheap and always meter.

if u like stay many years u can consider getting ur own transportation.

If there was a fee for motorcycles parking it will be very low would be happy to pay it so it’s secured

Edited by Destiny1990

On 4/4/2019 at 2:27 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So I figured I'd mock up sending a 2 lbs package from California to both Cebu and BKK with exactly the same dimensions and details using my preferred re-shipper, Planet Express... And interestingly, the quoted prices for both PE's own airmail service and their USPS Priority and Express services were IDENTICAL going to either Cebu or BKK, right down to the cent.

What did sending 2 lbs set you back to each location?

Several years ago I wanted to send a few dental supplies to a lovely and nearly fell over when the UPS guy told me it'd be 95USD.      She never got the supplies since I didn't send them.

2 hours ago, rodentwarrior said:

I've been riding a 125cc scooter here in Cebu for the last 5 years, and I have never carried my Passport.  The occasional Vehicle Check Point is to look at licences and documentation (of which I carry photocopies under the seat).  I remember when I lived in Bangkok, we were supposed to carry Passports all the time, but I always carried a photocopy, and never had any issue. 

Bm Cerox don't have a local driving license or a IDL. He asked about use foreign license, and then one are required to have IDL and passport while driving.

I asume you misunderstood and talk about driving with PH license?

Doesn't matter, YMMV in all asian countries.

Tsk: Mandaue area ie are famous for semi weekly comprehensive

Vehicle Check Point, hardly occasional, but very frequent. 

3 hours ago, cerox said:

Thank you Destiny, that is valuable feedback. Do they charge for motorbike parking too? Or only cars? That would be another reason to just keep it simple with no own vehicle first.

700 - 1000 peso per month, for a tiny parking slot in condo buildings. Often requires a lease contract for the parking space.

6 hours ago, cerox said:

Welcome you stayed in Vietnam before u mentioned how was that for you? Which cities?

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

hailand often gives a free parking place when buying a condo while in Phillipines they charge you 500,000-800,000 pesos. And since developers there are like a cartel all of them charging for parkings. Also 99% of units are bare shells.. no aircon no exhaust hood no cooking plate very poorly handover of new units in Phillipines..

Sounds terrible, do they charge so much because only foreigners are buying condo units ? Do they milk the market because of foreigners?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, balo said:

Sounds terrible, do they charge so much because only foreigners are buying condo units ? Do they milk the market because of foreigners?

Nop there are also lots of filipino buyers but they get a in-house finance.. but i think developers  can get away with it because they are all doing it.

and still they got no problems selling these units and parking spaces..

Cebu is popular nowadays so there is still a construction boom..lots of developments are sold out very early within the construction period or even before that but i think it wont continue in that way.

Edited by Destiny1990

On 5/10/2019 at 12:45 PM, ExpatPH said:

Bm Cerox don't have a local driving license or a IDL. He asked about use foreign license, and then one are required to have IDL and passport while driving.

I asume you misunderstood and talk about driving with PH license?

Doesn't matter, YMMV in all asian countries.

Tsk: Mandaue area ie are famous for semi weekly comprehensive

Vehicle Check Point, hardly occasional, but very frequent. 

Yeah I've had a Philippines DL for many years, easy enough to get from the LTO, my original DL is from the UK.  As far as I remember, a foreigner can drive here on their original DL for a maximum of 90 days.  I've never heard of having to carry a passport here, and I never have.  I ride through Mandaue almost everyday, and I've been through Vehicle Check Points on maybe 10 occasions in the last 7 years.  Very often the Police just wave me through.  But I always make sure my vehicles are road legal, and I have the correct paperwork.  Keeps life simpler! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, rodentwarrior said:

Yeah I've had a Philippines DL for many years, easy enough to get from the LTO, my original DL is from the UK.  As far as I remember, a foreigner can drive here on their original DL for a maximum of 90 days.  I've never heard of having to carry a passport here, and I never have.  I ride through Mandaue almost everyday, and I've been through Vehicle Check Points on maybe 10 occasions in the last 7 years.  Very often the Police just wave me through.  But I always make sure my vehicles are road legal, and I have the correct paperwork.  Keeps life simpler! 

Well compare this to Pattaya there are at least several road checks each and every day.

How do you guys rate Borocay for a long-stay?

I heard they overhauled the island and ExpatPH wrote even a few years ago he had got Internet there. So I could get work done and clean air.

4 minutes ago, cerox said:

How do you guys rate Borocay for a long-stay?

I heard they overhauled the island and ExpatPH wrote even a few years ago he had got Internet there. So I could get work done and clean air.

It's an overpriced tourist destination aimed at younger tourists.

Ok if you like that sort of thing.

• Thanks 1

Thank you.

Do you know of other places in the Philippines which provide good Internet? From what I read here it seems that only Manila, Cebu and Borocay seem to offer something reliable. I am happy if you guys know other safe options, so perhaps not the Southern Philippines.

I am 31y young, Ive been in Thailand for around 2,5 years. Never been to the Philippines, but try to learn as much as possible, I have been to Vietnam once for two weeks (holiday). ExpatPH said Vietnam might be nicer for younger (below 50) people - I am curious about other opinions. I read that it is still "illegal" to be in a hotel room with a Vietnamese girl as in Laos but I am unsure these days whether or not these laws are enforced in any way.

For now I stay in Thailand as long as possible, we never know when there are changes in the ED visa or I could get denied one day. Need more options ????

I do not want to buy Elite card. I prefer a flexible and not a 20y-fixed life.

Agree with BritManToo, Boracay is mostly young crowd (Koreans), so if one is 50+ I would choose another destination. The beaches at Boracay was beautiful, but very commercial / touristy.

Talking about beaches, going to Bohol end of the month.  Will test out internet speed, and I expect much better air quality there.

Edit: Cerox when you 31 y.o. you will fit in at Boracay, but as said, it's highly touristy place with high tourist prices. People who lived there called Boracay for 'bora bora'  for boredom ...

Edited by ExpatPH

1 hour ago, cerox said:

Bohol is interesting. I am looking into that too and it is on my travel list for the Philippines trip.

Yes Bohol is an happening place with stunning beaches also a new small airport has arrived and its only a short boat ride away from Cebu.

Boracay its a very small tiny island not suitable for long term living imho. Even Angeles City might be a suitable location lots of expats staying there its near Manila and  i assume has reasonable internet speeds..

Edited by Destiny1990

I like Cebu from what I read but considering the pollution it will just be as Chiang Mai. Bohol seems an interesting alternative - I saw there are direct flights to Manila too avoiding Mactan.

How do you guys see Mactan for living? Too noisy and congested because of the airport or ok? CNX has the same airport noise issue so many people might be already used to it.

1 hour ago, cerox said:

I like Cebu from what I read but considering the pollution it will just be as Chiang Mai. Bohol seems an interesting alternative - I saw there are direct flights to Manila too avoiding Mactan.

How do you guys see Mactan for living? Too noisy and congested because of the airport or ok? CNX has the same airport noise issue so many people might be already used to it.

Not all areas in Cebu are highly polluted. Best to check out yourself where is acceptable.

Mactan less traffic and pollution but often need to cross these 2 bridges that can be traffic..Also Cebu city near the new Robinson Galleria mall is not a congested area definitely better air then the innercity and with big roads besides the mactan channel its very comfortable there and your living right besides 2 big shopping malls..

I don't like Cebu City much - that's the place I consider for nothing to do.

Boracay is amazing, but yes it is busy with tourists.

Bohol/Panglao beaches are on the low side, and the prices are often even more than Boracay