Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

59 minutes ago, cerox said:

Thank you. So for cleaner air you would recommend any area near the SM-City and Seaside mall and not inside IT Park / Ayala?

Inside IT park the air is somewhat okey because no Jeepnies are allowed inside there.

But soon as u walk outside it’s congested with traffic.

Near Sm seaside mall have very clean air but kinda boring area to live unless you have a car..

Near Ayala is nice but not the best air.near Sm city mall better air because less traffic and its near a huge channel.

Your location Also should depends on your activities.

If u mostly stay in condo and mall and pool or are u always going for walks outdoors etc.

Best is go see urself.

You can stay also up the mountain in Lahug not far from the IT park lots of clean air many foreigners living there.

Edited by Destiny1990

31 minutes ago, AtoZ said:

I don't like Cebu City much - that's the place I consider for nothing to do.

Boracay is amazing, but yes it is busy with tourists.

Bohol/Panglao beaches are on the low side, and the prices are often even more than Boracay

Sorry but Bohol/Panglao are way cheaper to stay than Boracay is and besides that they are more suitable for long term living than Boracay.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

better air then the innercity

Where is this 'innercity' you allude to?  Are you talking about the area around Colon?  I've lived in Cebu for 7 years, and never particularly noticed a lot of pollution, or poor air quality.  Of course if you are right next to a busy road, then it's going to be noticeable just about anywhere (in the World) you live.

I've said it before, and it's always worth repeating.  Cerox. Go to the places yourself.  Make your own mind up based on your own experiences, because other people's opinions are not necessarily in line with your own, or even particularly true!  It's ridiculous to compare Cebu with Chiang Mai levels of pollution.  Chiang Mai's annual malaise is mostly caused by burning off rice fields, in preparation for new planting.  No such thing happens in or near Cebu City.  You really must visit places.  Makes a World of difference. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Inside IT park the air is somewhat okey because no Jeepnies are allowed inside there.

What a lot of utter tosh!  No jeepneys in IT Park?  Shall I go and take photographs for you?  Do you even live in Cebu? You make a lot of noise but not a lot of accuracy.

I currently live in the Business Park, a few minutes walk to Ayala Mall.  The air quality is absolutely fine.

11 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Sm seaside mall have very clean air but kinda boring area to live unless you have a car..

Near Ayala is nice but not the best air.near Sm city mall better air because less traffic

Again utter tripe.  SM Seaside is built on the South Road Properties area.  It is reclaimed land, and the Mall is built in an area of green field.  There is no accommodation nearby, unless you live in a tent.

SM-Seaside-City-Cebu-Aerial-View-Project-LUPAD-JPG.jpeg

Edited by rodentwarrior
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Sm city mall better air because less traffic

There is a very busy intersection right next to SM, it's choked up with traffic all the time.  To say the air is clean here is just a totally ignorant observation.

Stick to stuff you actually know about.  Like an empty vessel, you make a lot of noise - uninformed noise.  I've lived in Cebu City for 7 years, and your descriptions are so far off the mark as to be deliberately disingenuous and misleading.  No jeepneys in IT Park is typical of the simple untruths of your statements, IT Park is heaving with Jeepneys.

Edited by rodentwarrior

4 hours ago, rodentwarrior said:

Where is this 'innercity' you allude to?  Are you talking about the area around Colon?  I've lived in Cebu for 7 years, and never particularly noticed a lot of pollution, or poor air quality.  Of course if you are right next to a busy road, then it's going to be noticeable just about anywhere (in the World) you live.

I've said it before, and it's always worth repeating.  Cerox. Go to the places yourself.  Make your own mind up based on your own experiences, because other people's opinions are not necessarily in line with your own, or even particularly true!  It's ridiculous to compare Cebu with Chiang Mai levels of pollution.  Chiang Mai's annual malaise is mostly caused by burning off rice fields, in preparation for new planting.  No such thing happens in or near Cebu City.  You really must visit places.  Makes a World of difference. 

You never noticed lots of pollution in downtown Cebu?? Do you understand that the pollution is very small pieces so you can’t  notice it but will get stuck inside of your lungs??

Go sit on a motorcycle drive one hour wearing a white T shirt anywhere in Cebu now take a good look at your T shirt and report back here about Cebu clean air.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rodentwarrior said:

There is a very busy intersection right next to SM, it's choked up with traffic all the time.  To say the air is clean here is just a totally ignorant observation.

Stick to stuff you actually know about.  Like an empty vessel, you make a lot of noise - uninformed noise.  I've lived in Cebu City for 7 years, and your descriptions are so far off the mark as to be deliberately disingenuous and misleading.  No jeepneys in IT Park is typical of the simple untruths of your statements, IT Park is heaving with Jeepneys.

IT park is a private compound with guards at all entrances therefore most jeepnies are not allowed to pass through it so there are way less Jeeps driving at IT park as in comparison the public roads!

Ayala doesn’t have better air quality than the Sm city/Robinson galleria area because that area runs right besides the huge and wide Mactan channel in case you haven’t notice that fact either after your 8 years living in Cebu duhhh..

Edited by Destiny1990

37 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its you that is the ignorant one.

they are 1000 of units there already most from Phillinvest developer.

They building non stop residential but it is max 5 stories high.Your photo is old and inaccurate. Did you really think they are going to build the biggest mall of the Phillipines in a non residential area? Do you really think those green vacant landplots surrounding that mall 10 years ago would have been left empty??

They did build a Mall in an area that had no homes, it's called the South Road Properties, a reclamation area.  The Mall has further development potential, in the form of 12 residential towers, but they have not yet decided to go ahead with this project.

sm-seaside-city-cebu-soon-to-open-at-srp-aerial-view-master-development-day.jpg

Can you see any new houses near the Mall?  No, because there aren't any.  All I hear is talk talk, but no evidence.  I live here.  Who would you believe readers?  This Mall has only been open for just over 3 years, so this is how the area looks.  I regularly visit this Mall because my dentist is located on the third floor.  There is a lot of chat about residential block development, but no building has been started as of today, those green areas are still green empty lots.

Cebu-City-SM-Seaside.jpg

Edited by rodentwarrior
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rodentwarrior said:

I do ride my bike, pretty much everyday, that's because I actually live in Cebu City.  I always wear T Shirts, some are even white.  Perhaps you want to me provide before and after pics?  You must be deluded.  I have better things to do.

Like I say, the readers will make their own minds up about information regarding Cebu City.  A random person who lives in Pattaya, or an honest man who actually lives in Cebu City.  It's not rocket science.

My white T-shirt came out full with black stuff on the front just after less than 1 hour driving so i stopped doing that. Anyway the OP uploaded some pollution charts between Chiang Mai and Cebu study them and stop waist my time.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 3:10 PM, cerox said:

Is Dumaguete still safe to go with what happened in this small city Marawi?

I like smaller cities like Chiang Mai in terms of size. Cebu might be too big and polluted. How is the Internet in Bohol? I need to be able to do some work online. The small islands unfortunately are too slow with Internet - maybe the new Borocay is nice - you mentioned there is good Internet.

Marawi is no where near Dumaguete & the troubles there were very localized (was in Davao City at the time & no problems there).

I prefer the Visayas (Davao/Tagum City, Moalboal/CarCar & Bohol) but did really like Coron and would love to spend more time there.

Used to love Cebu City 10 years ago, but last couple of times I've been the traffic was terrible and it felt like there was a lot of pollution because it - Still has the prettiest girls though ???? 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, rodentwarrior said:

Can you see any new houses near the Mall?  No, because there aren't any.  All I hear is talk talk, but no evidence.  I live here.  Who would you believe readers?  This Mall has only been open for just over 3 years, so this is how the area looks.  I regularly visit this Mall because my dentist is located on the third floor.  There is a lot of chat about residential block development, but no building has been started as of today, those green areas are still green empty lots.

Cebu-City-SM-Seaside.jpg

Those nearby planned high rises haven’t been built yet because out of fear eventually they might sink into the ground.

For time being they built at about 1 km distance of the mall many many 5 story apartment blocks with people already living inside. 

They got pools and inside carparking.

IT park is a private compound with guards at all entrances therefore most jeepnies are not allowed to pass through it so there are way less Jeeps driving at IT park as in comparison the public roads!
 Ayala doesn’t have better air quality than the Sm city/Robinson galleria area because that area runs right besides the huge and wide Mactan channel in case you haven’t notice that fact either after your 8 years living in Cebu duhhh..
IT Park is not a private compound .. Never seen a guard on the entances from Salinas Ave ..had a gf working as a call center agent in there , was in and out picking her up regularly .

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Not all areas in Cebu are highly polluted. Best to check out yourself where is acceptable.
Mactan less traffic and pollution but often need to cross these 2 bridges that can be traffic..Also Cebu city near the new Robinson Galleria mall is not a congested area definitely better air then the innercity and with big roads besides the mactan channel its very comfortable there and your living right besides 2 big shopping malls..

Look you probably think you are doing someone a great service ,writing this stuff ..but , really , you are so far off the mark with some of it , im thinking you perhaps need to do some real boots on the ground research before posting this advice .
Mactan , less traffic, less pollution .. Not the 3 years I lived there !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, gusincebu said:

IT Park is not a private compound .. Never seen a guard on the entances from Salinas Ave ..had a gf working as a call center agent in there , was in and out picking her up regularly .

Yes weird even every small mini supermarket in Phillipines have guards but the Entrance of the Cebu IT park according to you have no guards at entrance?

Yes it’s privately owned compound says it even on the signs at their entrances. Most jeeps are not allowed in.

Edited by Destiny1990

4 hours ago, rodentwarrior said:

Again utter tripe.  SM Seaside is built on the South Road Properties area.  It is reclaimed land, and the Mall is built in an area of green field.  There is no accommodation nearby, unless you live in a tent.

SM-Seaside-City-Cebu-Aerial-View-Project-LUPAD-JPG.jpeg

Google San Remo Oasis Cebu Developer Filinvest.

Its 1400 meters away only from that Sm Seaside mall.. 

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Yeah,  this has evolved into a real food fight.

Hahaha  okay, I hear you.  It's just that as a resident of Cebu, it's strange to read the fantasy, when I experience the reality.  The rather hysterical reporting of pollution here is extraordinary, and usually emanates from people who don't live here.  If it was so bad here, people would not settle here, and this is a rapidly expanding metropolitan area.  If the pollution was so awful, why would SM build the biggest Mall I've ever been in? 

My adopted children have lived here their entire lives, they are all as strong as horses.  I never said there wasn't pollution here - it's everywhere, I just don't want people to go away with the impression that Cebu is like some post apocalyptic landscape where everyone wears face masks.  It's is certainly cleaner than Bangkok, where I also lived for 7 years. 

Surely the best information comes from someone with boots on the ground?  I actually lived in IT Park some years ago, I left after 8 months because of the pollution and noise from the many jeepneys running through the Park 24/7.  Make of that what you will.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2