Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

1 hour ago, ExpatPH said:

Private hospitals, I been to 2 of the 5 best here.

So are any of the 5 you mention in Cebu, or all in the Manila area?

If you had a more significant medical issue in Cebu, where would you go?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

3 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Internet is highly unreliable, most have at least 2 ways to connect online. Still, while I was writing earlier today from city central, both my connections was lost for 1/2 an hour.

For either residential or mobile data connections that are available to you, what kind of international/home country connection speeds can you get... say...if you were trying to stream a video service from your home country?

Is that even viable, things like Netflix or Amazon Prime Video? And how much might it typically cost per month to obtain that kind of internet service?

21 minutes ago, kekalot said:

I have been there short time in 2013,

It's possible things have changed some there, for better or worse, in the past 6 years.

Certainly Thailand has changed a lot in the past 6 years, in many different ways, many not good.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For either residential or mobile data connections that are available to you, what kind of international/home country connection speeds can you get... say...if you were trying to stream a video service from your home country?

Is that even viable, things like Netflix or Amazon Prime Video? And how much might it typically cost per month to obtain that kind of internet service?

Netflix, and Amazon Prime work well. Only need 5Mbps for that, without loading. Don't use Skype. Friends say Skype most of the time are working.

In province, no netflix or Amazon prime video works. Even websites takes forever to load. One quickly learn patience here, no options.

I pay 13$ monthly for netflix HD. Not UltraHD pack, due to lack of 4k movies in this region.

As mentioned, a few new apartment building has fiber optic cable. Go for those buildings if one want the fastest connection available.

Internet 'real time' online banking are working in City, and on some few places in province.

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I'm a little confused about your section on rentals.

Firstly, the prices you quote, in dollars, for what I would consider a dog box, seem very high.

Then you explain that high cost away by stating that you get more pesos for a dollar than you get baht.

I don't understand. Perhaps it's me. 

I should had used better words, sorry.

In simple terms, I live the exaxt same life in PH as I did in TH.

In TH I use all my budget of 65k Thb per month.

In PH I still have 500$ left over, per month.

Trade off, smaller apartment here (26sqm) than in TH (40sqm)

Bread are cheaper here 0.90$ vs TH 1.30$

Beer are cheaper here, 0.70$ vs TH 1.05$

Sigarettes are cheaper here, 1.90$ vs TH 3.90$

Jeepney are cheaper here 0.10$ vs TH Songtaew 0.33$

Just a few examples of less living costs in PH.

Apartments are more expensive in PH.

On a monthly total budget I still have money left here, while in TH I spend all of it. Same lifestyle and habbits.

Correct wording should perhaps been 'more buying power or more for the money' 

Hope this helps for the confusion I made?

At the end of the day, I can save money here, compared to similar life in TH, where there was nothing left to save.

• Like 2

Maybe the biggest saving in the PH is the much lower expence to support a girlfriend wife.

PH win this.

And possibility to get a younger lady as our girlfriend or wife,

even age difference is 20-30 years (or even more).

PH win this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Internet packages:

19$ for 1 month regular web surfing without netflix amazon prime.

60$ if you want to watch some netflix / amazon.

Phone sim card:

Sim card can be bought many places for 0.80$ No passport or id required.

1 month unlimited text (Sun sim) 4$ (3000 SMS)

1 month regular Internet 24Gb limit 19$

11 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

Doesnt matter really, as a foreigner involved in a accident, you always pay!

Are you telling us that the insurance company will not cover it? Surely with a good insurance you do not have to pay anything unless it's your fault.

I have been involved in a couple of accidents in Thailand and insurance covered everything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExpatPH said:

Not aimed to those married with Thai, for obvious reasons.

Many many guys there, are not stuck with a wife.

Nothing about married guys in OP.

Anyway we dont need all of them all of sudden going to Phillipines how will that benefit us,?

They will just go after our babes moving in to our territory.

let them suffer in Chiang Mai or Koh Samui where ever they at.

More about tourist visa:

within 1 week in country you can apply for:

Day 2 in country

1 months extension

Day 3 in country

6 months extension

Day 4 in country

another 6 months extension

If you sure you'll stay here long term, you can get 14 months in total, in your first week here.

Didnt know this until my last tourist visa extension at Immigration.

No stress with tourist visa here in Philippines.

Regards

ExpatPH

• Like 1

Interesting reading from the OP and thanks for taking the time for your detailed posts. Main concern for many would be healthcare, however it does exist there and lets not forget Thailand before the days of BKK hospital etc that wasn't that long ago. I regularly visit PI and find it a breath of fresh air. I love the cantina food and the array of western food available at a fraction of the cost here is unbelievable. Thai food can be cooked at home cheaply if one feels like Thai cuisine. The devalued PHP over the past 18 months has made living expenses even cheaper especially compared to the Baht rising. For me the SRVV is an attraction as I would think is to most. With the inward investment over the past few years I would envisage many private hospitals the same as here opening with excellent care so that issue will disappear. I know of condos sold out in Angeles before the piling is even in so many are relocating there. Yes there is corruption and crime but it can be avoided easily with common sense. Keep the posts coming..

Thank you very much baansgr, for your feedback and shared experience in country here.

Angeles would be my choice today, if I was younger and in better health, so that I could enjoy what Angeles has to offer.

I like to have expat friend around, why I choosed Cebu. Cebu was more lively and fun when I moved here, than now.

With building boom both in Angeles and Cebu, as well as other places, investors have belief in the economic future for the country.

I hope better Hospitals and quality of care, will follow the current big Chinese investments here.

• Like 2

You lost me at

"Apartment prices Cebu:

For a very small 18 sqm modern apartment example (search photos online)

'Lot8 cebu' units rent for 300-400$ smallest modern apartment in the city 18sqm. Tiny balcony."

$400 to hit a cat off both walls,then slide over the balcony on the wet patch.

Looks like there is a gap in the market for better priced bigger-sized flexible term farang rentals in CEBU...

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

Visa:

After the first 29 days on arrival, go to immigration and apply for 1 months extension. You can apply next day after arrival if you want. 3.120 peso 60$

After first 59 days in country, your extension options are 1, 2, 6 months extension. You can apoly for this as early as 3rd dau in country, if you applied for 1 month extension the day before.

After 59 days a obligatory ACR-I Card (alien registration card) is required by immigration, take finger prints, proof of adress, this is the only time I show proof of location, never asked to show proof later on. Lease contract or hotel receipt is enough. Take photo copy ahead.

Within the first 16 months in country, you are allowed to get 2 times 6 months extension, so if you plan to stay long, apply for 6 months extension after the first 59 days in country.

Then the 2nd and last 6 month extension after 8 months stay.

After this, extend with 2 month each time, unless you can get a 3rd 6 months extension.  Some got it, I did not, so just ask politely.

36 months is the maximum you can stay in PH on tourist visa extensions.

Take 1 day trip or more out if the country, and start from scratch again.

No re-entry permit here.

If you leave the country, all visa you have in passport is used. 

If you stay more than 6 months in country and want to leave, you are required to apply for ECC (Exit clearance certificate) at immigration.

Apply 1 week ahead of departure and bring airline ticket.

If you stay for 1 year, the cost for extensions has been around 500$

My visa extensions take 2-3 hour.

Visa agents can do all your extensions for you, they charge you 25-30$ for this.

Opening a Bank account in PH:

Regulations require that you have ACR-I card that you can first apply for after 59 days stay, but it takes months to receive the actual card.

Your options are:

- ask a expat to go with you to the bank, together talk with bank manager about open new account and bring with you a dash of US$

- Go alone to main branch in the city and ask to talk with bank manager.

- Western Union transfer to yourself a day before you travel.

- zoom

Banking in general is time consuming, all my visits take 1-1.5 hour.

If you dont have patience, you got to learn to be patient.

I have local ATM with online banking android app, and also Visa prepaid card for online purchase.

Standard withdrawal is limited to 10000 Php 95$ per day, apply in the bank for higher limit, I have 50.000 Php limit 950$ per day, applied in the bank with reason condo rental payment.

Foreigner Visa / Mastercard:

Go to HSBC near Ayala center and withdraw max 40.000 per withdrawal. Daily number of withdrawals limit depends of your bank own limits, in country of origin.

Need to carry Passport?

The first 59 days I carried a color photo copy of my ID page and entry and extension stamp.

Never been asked to show passport in public.

When ACR-I card arrive after some months in ATM size, this is your legal id card you carry on daily basis.

Much more to come

Regards

ExpatPH

sound like a total pain to me, easier in LOS. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Thank you very much baansgr, for your feedback and shared experience in country here.

Angeles would be my choice today, if I was younger and in better health, so that I could enjoy what Angeles has to offer.

I like to have expat friend around, why I choosed Cebu. Cebu was more lively and fun when I moved here, than now.

With building boom both in Angeles and Cebu, as well as other places, investors have belief in the economic future for the country.

I hope better Hospitals and quality of care, will follow the current big Chinese investments here.

Angeles is predominately Westerners and Koreans, no Chinese influx as of present. Why Clarke isn't used is a mystery to many, was upgraded yet very few International flights but the P2P is a cheap way from Manila and with Philipine Air can arrive early AM making the journey not much more than one hour. 

1 minute ago, freedomnow said:

for 12,000 Baht you get a decent new 100m2 house outside Bangkok in smaller cities.

OP better off just getting 800k in Thai bank and coming back ?

Food sucks in PI, Brazil style barrios, and all the shotgun security guard crap at 7-11/malls/donut places...that still going on ?

I'd head to various beach towns of Vietnam as a 2nd choice option....$350 or something for a year ME Biz Visa or the like....and I think you can get Beer Lao at same or similar Lao prices...haha.

whenever I visit the PI, I'm always glad to get back to the relative normality and modern (ish) facilities in Thailand.  The PI is truly a dump. but I admit, a beautiful one in terms of its scenery.  

• Like 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

whenever I visit the PI, I'm always glad to get back to the relative normality and modern (ish) facilities in Thailand.  The PI is truly a dump. but I admit, a beautiful one in terms of its scenery.  

Yep, the place has so much going for it as much as Thailand but going to both around 2001 when I arrived in Asia..they have diverged so much in development....Thailand has left PI in the dust.

Urban s-holes surrounded by paradise is PI.

PI currency against UK pound is almost same as 2001 which is surprising though !

Against the Baht its been kicked in the teeth hard...deserved it though, with all the Brexit incompetence.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1