Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Air-con rooms near the beach in the Subic area can be had for 300-400peso/night (4-6kpeso/month).

If you can't find places in PI comparable to prices in Thailand, you've got 'mug' written on yer forehead.

Overstay Road Vloger is staying their now and has a few recent videos of Barretto and walk around.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Connectivity, in general, is not very good + expensive there.....

Yes but they are working on improving the connection there as we speak.

I have been in Bohol before and very much liked it then but that was 10 years ago.

stunning beaches clean air etc.

Edited by Destiny1990

6 hours ago, bender92 said:

I just spent 6 days in Manila. I stayed near the Baywalk so I had no problem with air quality. Streets were pretty clean too. Leaving the airport it took an hour to get a taxi at 7PM. Traffic is pretty bad. I was able to walk to Baywalk mornings. Lots of walkers and cyclists. Friendly people. In the evening lots of people went to the bay to hang out and watch the sunset. I had several restaurants nearby, Aristocrat chicken, Shakeys pizza. Lots of 7-11s around, and Mini Shops. I could also walk to Robinsons Mall, a huge place that even had a Dennys, I got a good salad there. Also a cinema and ice skating rink inside.

That looks and sounds pretty nice....

--How long did it take you to get from the airport to your hotel...once you got a taxi?

--And, how much were the hotel rates going for in the area you stayed, and what did you get for the price paid?

On 6/9/2019 at 5:11 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That looks and sounds pretty nice....

--How long did it take you to get from the airport to your hotel...once you got a taxi?

--And, how much were the hotel rates going for in the area you stayed, and what did you get for the price paid?

To hotel about 1 hour. Hotel was about $33 plus tax. Name is D Circle. Very good buffet breakfast that changed each day, free mini bar with water, Cokes, snacks, lots of English TV channels. Going to the airport I took the Skyway for 35 pesos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2019 at 1:30 PM, BritManToo said:

I assume everyone is lying to me, especially the woman in my bed.

It's got to the point where it doesn't matter, as I'm not listening to what they're saying.

Is people lying really such a big deal? I've worked out ways to get around it.

When I agree to meet someone, it's only ever in a place where I can have fun on my own, or with people already there.

I only really interact with my former wife, gf and the kids, that limits a lot of the madness as I know everything the gf and wife say are a lie.

lying doesnt really matter unless it inconveniences you, but liars are generally shallow and disadvantaged so worth avoiding if possible 

Hi ExpatPH,

many thanks for your great work and all the information.

It is fantastic news that the Internet is that good on Bohol island. People like me will be able to enjoy better air, because Cebu seems too big and polluted for me to stay there long-term.

Accommodation is a major thing too. I think Chiang Mai for example is kind of unbeatable in terms of ease for accommodation. So many vacant rooms, condos etc.

Did you seem them doing a lot of new construction as they do around Cebu?

Bohol would be my first serious alternative to CNX if I am forced to move out.

The drawbacks I see are the accommodation issues and the "scam" rates for motorbike rentals. The girls, English, and visa hopefully make up for it ????

On 4/4/2019 at 2:36 AM, Thaiwrath said:

I would suggest that the 'many' are correct.

Your target audience will be the ones who cannot prove the necessary income here, and those who don't trust Thai banks (????) with 400/800,000 baht. Most others seem happy, and settled here.  

For many reasons I won't get into I can never go back to Thailand.  I simply cannot set foot in the country ever again.

My pension is right around 2000 US per month.  In terms of affordable places to stay in SE asia with reasonable English ability, it would seem that the Philippines is my next best option.  I have no zero interest in Cambodia, Burma, Laos, China, Vietnam, Malaysia or Indonesia.  Just absolutely zero.  I hate those countries.

In terms of visas, in the Phils now you can get a tourist visa, get the long term extension, leave before that expires, an repeat the process.  I think the longest you can stay total is 16 months but I doubt I'd stay in the Phils for longer than 6 months at a time anyway.  I have no desire to ever marry.  I refuse to.

If anyone has any ideas outside of the Phils, please let me know.

For the Phils experts, where should I go?  I like girls and the beach.  Should I just head to subic and take day trips to nicer beach areas?  Whats the best advice?  Much appreciated.  I won't be going anywhere for about a year or so.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

For many reasons I won't get into I can never go back to Thailand.  I simply cannot set foot in the country ever again.

My pension is right around 2000 US per month.  In terms of affordable places to stay in SE asia with reasonable English ability, it would seem that the Philippines is my next best option.  I have no zero interest in Cambodia, Burma, Laos, China, Vietnam, Malaysia or Indonesia.  Just absolutely zero.  I hate those countries.

In terms of visas, in the Phils now you can get a tourist visa, get the long term extension, leave before that expires, an repeat the process.  I think the longest you can stay total is 16 months but I doubt I'd stay in the Phils for longer than 6 months at a time anyway.  I have no desire to ever marry.  I refuse to.

If anyone has any ideas outside of the Phils, please let me know.

For the Phils experts, where should I go?  I like girls and the beach.  Should I just head to subic and take day trips to nicer beach areas?  Whats the best advice?  Much appreciated.  I won't be going anywhere for about a year or so.

Try Cebu or Bohol.

For me Subic is a dead boring place.

What did you hate about Vietnam? 

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Try Cebu or Bohol.

For me Subic is a dead boring place.

What did you hate about Vietnam? 

I will just say this about VN.

My first spouse comes from a well connected Chinese-Vietnamese family in SG/HCMC.  Well connected to the government etc.  I think I should avoid it.

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

In terms of visas, in the Phils now you can get a tourist visa, get the long term extension, leave before that expires, an repeat the process.

Actually you get 30 days and first extension 30 days and after that up to six month extension for up to 3 years - you then have to leave for a day to start over.  Dumaguete would likely be cheaper than Cebu and close enough to travel easily.  One vloger there has monthly expense of $1,000 over last few years but he not into the nightlife/drinking (which not too open there anyhow - but lives in nice home).  Subic (outside city) appears to be a poor mans whorehouse so if girls are main attraction might be a good fit - old Navy base has good facilities for higher level eating and such.  Angeles City is still quite cheap off Clark and has huge selection of girls/bars/eating/hotels and easy access to upscale locations on Clark (new capital city).  Duma - laid back.  Subic - night moves.  Angeles - party town. 

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've often walked through the slums at night, everyone is surprisingly friendly, 'good morning sir', 'enjoy your stay in PI', etc. On a hot night the old guys seem to sit outside in the street because it's cooler.

Scary first time your confronted with it...and it was for me...yet I was in a commercial/residential area im dam sure it gets worse from where I had been that night..and just 1.5 ks from Mall of Asia.

7 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

where should I go?  I like girls and the beach.  Should I just head to subic and take day trips to nicer beach areas?  Whats the best advice? 

Girls: Angeles.

Daytrip: Subic bay.

Beach: Boracay, Puerto Galera, and many more.

Links early in this thread for beaches.

Best-Resorts-Subic.jpg_x81755.cf-533x299.jpg

20190617_122616-276x105.png

20190617_122658-385x288.jpg

Beach_picnic_resort_at_Subic_Bay%2C_Philippines.jpg.cf.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2019 at 3:20 PM, cerox said:

Did you seem them doing a lot of new construction as they do around Cebu?

Bohol would be my first serious alternative to CNX if I am forced to move out.

The drawbacks I see are the accommodation issues and the "scam" rates for motorbike rentals. The girls, English, and visa hopefully make up for it ????

Didnt see much new buildings coming up, strange since the new airport opened up at Panglao island. Bohol local government want more places to become tourist magnet, not only Boracay, but all over Bohol island Present lack of rooms should guarantee safe investment imo, but no obvious building boom. Few new lowrise places advertised on facebook, else majority are old and outdated rooms. Not value for money for a tourist. If they could only copy Thailand ...

Still lack of frequent transport around Panglao Island are a problem that should be improved asap. This bus service has been on/off last year. Buses without proper paperwork was impounded by LTO.

Bus Tagbilaran - Panglao

http://www.boholchronicle.com.ph/2018/08/08/ceres-offers-16-tagbilaran-panglao-tagbilaran-trips-daily/

20190617_124510-540x621.jpg

20190617_124522-540x778.jpg

On 6/12/2019 at 4:04 PM, KC 71 said:

I would love to visit one day,but the big boss has got a screw loose and the internet is rubbish by all accounts

Manila + Boracay have 30 Mbps internet speed, selected areas in Manila 50-100+ Mbps.

Manila companies guarantee 50-100 Mbps that cost 20,000 - 50,000 peso per month!

Bohol was better than expected. And I guess Davao city should be good.

Remaining of the country, internet speed and reliability are closer to Zero.

3G Still a dream.

I'm currently in north Cebu province, Globe has no cellphone signal, or internet.

Smart has 1 bar signal, and less than 1 Mbps internet.

No Skype, no Netflix, no Amazon Prime ...

Can't wait to go back to the city.