Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

41 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

How is this relevant? They come to Thailand to work because they can't find jobs in the Philippines or because Thailand salaries are much higher. Also the Philippines have a culture of going to work overseas in higher paying countries and send money back home - much like Isaan girls except with less action...

Manila is indeed a mess with terrible infrastructure, however Angeles City was comfortable, great cheap food, friendly people, and everything costs half of what I pay in Bangkok. Thinking of going back there for a while because I'm sick of overpaying for everything here.

A lot of Philippine people work for my wife's company because the food is better in Thailand, the health care (SS) is better in Thailand.  The police are better in Thailand.  The government is better in Thailand.  I live in Thailand and not the Philippines because I can afford it.  In America I lived in a nice neighborhood instead of a slum for the same reason - I can afford it.  If the time comes and I get priced out of Thailand I'll go back home and live in my kids basement.      

6 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

So we expats shouldn’t relocate from Thailand to Phillipines because some filipinos go to Thailand to work??

Better Start pitching about hospitals again!

The People from the Philippines if they get sick stay in Thailand instead of go home because the health care is better.  ???? 

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

A lot of Philippine people work for my wife's company because the food is better in Thailand, the health care (SS) is better in Thailand.  The police are better in Thailand.  The government is better in Thailand.  I live in Thailand and not the Philippines because I can afford it.  In America I lived in a nice neighborhood instead of a slum for the same reason - I can afford it.  If the time comes and I get priced out of Thailand I'll go back home and live in my kids basement.      

I only eat western food - and Philippines is superior to Thailand in that department - especially things like beef and lasagna. Health care I don't care about (yet). Police and government are largely irrelevant for foreigners.

I can afford Bangkok too, and I live here because it's a great city and I have friends here, but I enjoy Philippines every time I go there - which I cannot say for many places.

9 hours ago, Benroon said:

So welcoming that it is now the child sex capital of the world ???? 

Important for some no doubt but No ta

Total utter nonsense.

Obviously you haven't read previous pages.

Police, numerous undercover agents, NBI, all are hard working to catch criminals. People with a criminal record are arrested at arrival. Those already in country and who committed a crime, many now serve 20 to life in prison. Don't underestimate local law enforcement!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

I prefer the high exchange rate we have here, compared to the baht that only get stronger, and the trend seems to continue in the future

You keep saying that. As if what's 100 baht in Thailand is 100 pesos in Philippinnes, so therefore you are getting the exchange difference in your pocket.

It's false.

Let me give you some examples:

Coca Cola 1.5L. Your supermarket: 61 pesos. Tops Thailand: 26 baht.

Potatoes 99 pesos vs 37 baht in Tesco Lotus

Processed Cheese 155- 160 pesos vs 120-145 baht (Villa)

Head & Shoulders 450ML 275 pesos vs 179 baht regular price that generally goes down to either 135 baht or 109 baht depending on promotions.

So aside cigarettes and maybe slightly on alcohol (PH does not look that cheap either), it's more expensive in PH.

Housing rents, we agree they are cheaper in Thailand.

Rent a motorbike we agree there it's 12,000 pesos and on Thai islands you can get it for 2,500-3,000 baht.

So when you keep saying "you prefer the high exchange rates", realise it's just numbers and an illusion in your head.

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lkv said:

You keep saying that. As if what's 100 baht in Thailand is 100 pesos in Philippinnes, so therefore you are getting the exchange difference in your pocket.

It's false.

Head & Shoulders 450ML 275 pesos vs 179 baht regular price that generally goes down to either 135 baht or 109 baht depending on promotions.

So aside cigarettes and maybe slightly on alcohol (PH does not look that cheap either), it's more expensive in PH.

Rent a motorbike we agree there it's 12,000 pesos and on Thai islands you can get it for 2,500-3,000 baht.

So when you keep saying "you prefer the high exchange rates", realise it's just numbers and an illusion in your head.

That is somewhat true..honestly its hard to compare prices with different currencies.

i think thai phill prices are similar but over the years the bht keep rising and the peso doesn’t move.

2 hours ago, lkv said:

It's false.

Nonsense

I posted earlier link to comparison survey.

Philippines is overall 8% cheaper than Thailand.

Thats also my own experience.

When was you last time in Philippines, and for how long duration?

The illusion is on you!

And I live here in Philippines full time.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, lkv said:

It's false.

Ive been there a few times...food over all is definatly cheaper, supermarkets...and mass chains....in fact i spend less when im there compared to Thailand.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lkv said:

I was buying 700ml bottles of San Miguel gin for 60 pesos in BizMart.

Cheapest bottle of drinkable gin in Thailand is over 200bht.

smg.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Nonsense

The illusion is on you!

And I live here in Philippines full time.

Based on your pics.

Screenshot_20190702-143832_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-144527_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-143902_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-144409_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-143918_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-144043_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

I apologize, it takes too long to find the price of the Heineken can, so I'm substituting it with bottle, which technically should be more expensive.

Edited by lkv

7 minutes ago, lkv said:

I apologize, it takes too long to find the price of the Heineken can, so I'm substituting it with bottle, which technically should be more expensive.

Ok so beer is cheaper in Philippines. 46 pesos in PH, 43 baht in Thailand.

Screenshot_20190702-145735_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lkv said:

Based on your pics.

Screenshot_20190702-143832_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-144527_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-143902_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-144409_Samsung Internet.jpg

Were talking over all....easy to find a few items more expensive, over all my money goes further when in the Phillipines.

IT always amazes me when i walk out of a supermarket in the Phillipines with the cost differances....Pasta ,,no i dont cook pasta in BKK or Manila, Heineken i dont drink it anywhere.

Boutique hotels ..i know where to find them now if in Manila...AirBNB is a great alternaitve for a short stay like 2 weeks paying just over $AU 430 in Cebu for 10 nights in a new condo and close to the shopping malls.... Ive pay more for older condos in BKK.

Its not a contest the op has said that... Its pure nit picking if your going to get hungover on a few items that come up more expensive...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Samsung TV you mentioned costs 43,999 pesos in Philippines, the same model here in Thailand is 19,990 baht.

At today's rates, 43,999 pesos = 26,375 baht.

Screenshot_20190702-145859_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-150343_Lazada.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-150747_Currency.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lkv said:

Ok so beer is cheaper in Philippines. 46 pesos in PH, 43 baht in Thailand.

Screenshot_20190702-145735_Samsung Internet.jpg

In AU$ thats around 1.30 in phillipines and $2 in thailand...yes i found booze cheaper there but where you notice the differance is if you go to a bar...the mark up is way more in Thailand...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lkv said:

The Samsung TV you mentioned costs 43,999 pesos in Philippines, the same model here in Thailand is 19,990 baht.

At today's rates, 43,999 pesos = 26,375 baht.

Screenshot_20190702-145859_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-150343_Lazada.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-150747_Currency.jpg

hahaha you make me laugh.....how many tv's you buy in a life time?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Its not a contest the op has said that... Its pure nit picking if your going to get hungover on a few items that come up more expensive...

No, the OP was advertising the "high exchange rate" of the USD versus the PHP, and I am showing him that it helps him only that he sees higher numbers on some banknotes. That was the illusion.

Pantene Shampoo 265 pesos vs 159 baht regular price, now at promo at Tops 119 baht.

Tops has promos on shampoos, toothpaste, shower gels etc 10 months out of 12.

Screenshot_20190702-151854_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-152107_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by lkv

Why it does not matter how much a TV costs in either country for me?

Because I will not buy one. Having accumulated a lot of stuff in Thailand when I came here, I will not make this mistake again. Fortunately I never bought Elite visa, a condo or a car. So it is only lots of stuff in my room - most of it I already got rid off, donated etc.

I would urge everyone to think about that, not moving to a new country, e.g. PH, buying all this stuff again and then you dont like it or visa rules change. Just because PH are now relaxed with visas as TH once was, does not mean it will change like that forever.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

over all my money goes further when in the Phillipines.

Because either you change your spending pattern, or spending on drinks represents a high proportion of your monthly expenditure, or you give up "a few sqm" at the condo.

Or you are comparing the wrong things. It's like me comparing the rent in Nakhon Nowhere to the rent in Thonglo.

Or because what you spend your money on costs less in PH. Different people different spendings.

If most is cigarettes, booze and p#ssy, yeah ok. 

Others may look at medical care, infrastracture, appliances, rents, how it looks like when you open the window, etc.

Edited by lkv

It all comes down to this.

The reason I kept giving these examples is because the OP was going on and on with 51 peso to the dollar vs 30-31 baht to the dollar.

Yes, the Thai baht is overvalued. No, that's not the reason I left Thailand and I am now posting from Europe.

I would have accepted higher prices if they were behaving nicely, as a premium for a good life.

They weren't.

Prices will vary in every country, some more expensive some cheaper.

Different people will spend more or less according to their spending pattern.

For me, I was in Taipei a few months ago. It is generally more expensive than Bangkok overall. I was thinking. Would I pay a premium to live here?

Bali cheaper than Phuket. I had the same question in my mind. Is the pricing ok putting it in balance with  what I am looking for?

Haven't decided yet. 

However, I am more on the side of the posters that describe PH as a sh#thole unfortunately. For me. If it was 20% cheaper than say Thailand, I would not care. I don't want to spend 20% less and downgrade my lifestyle.

My lifestyle would actually cost 20% more in PH and I would get a 4th world country without infrastructure.

Not to say I am keen about Thailand either, for the multiple other reasons I mentioned apart from pricing, but will keep travelling and exploring the region further, see what fits best.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Calculate the exchange rate of 2,000 USD.

102,000 Peso vs 61,000 Baht

It is actually cheaper to live here in the Philippines - with exact same lifestyle.

Exact lifestyle.

No....I mean seriously, you must be doing selective reading of my posts.

Why do I care I get 102,308 pesos or 61,319 baht?

They are just some numbers printed on some banknotes. You look at the banknotes, see many zeros and feel rich?

It's about how far that money takes you, depending on your spending patterns, what you see around you when you open the window, how your apartment looks like, and how much pain you encounter by being denied access to medicine that otherwise you'd get in other places (in your case).

Why is it so difficult for you to comprehend?

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Currency rate do matter for most people.

A look at latest Thai news show that. Expats in Thailand always talk about the damn exchange rate. Sure it does matter. Add on problems with immigration, numerous problems, more and more are pushed to use agents to get their retirement extension. More expenses lately, exchange rate matters even more for majority.

Logic.

Ease of visa also matters, even off shore workers who I asume bring in lots of money on their weeks off, get problems at airport. Sure ease of visa is very important for many.

Philippines don't have too many pros. So when I repeat exchange rate and ease of visa as pros, it is because it matters for majority of expats who consider their Plan B.

Don't try to sell this place, have mentioned the cons many times. But in 2019 with the current situation in los, many are ready and willing to do a trade-off, rather than return home.

Some might remember earlier survey on TV regarding expats income / pension / budget. Majority wasn't rich or well off. 

The average expat now consider Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, and more.

I personally find Cambodia a $hitho/e, but I never feel the need to write it time after time.

I accept that many former thai expats moved there the last 10 years, and have adjusted there. Good for them. 

Getting bored of the never ending bashing of the Philippines. How many times is enough?

How many of you bashers has actually made a real attempt to live here?

Same budget - exact same lifestyle = money last longer in Philippines. Much longer.

20190702_112428.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1