Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

@cerox 

It's a lack of accomondation in price range 6-13k baht. I've told a few investors to build in this price range.

Many new hostels has sprung up in this segment, on Agoda etc.

13k baht up many options, example Mabolo Garden Flat many vacant units, 22-28sqm for equal to 13-17k baht.

La Guardia Flats within budget, many units, 2 buildings, small balcony. 9-11k baht.

One Oasis Mabolo has pool, lots of vacant units, bargain can be found on all websites down to 9k baht a few times, usually 12k+ baht

At the moment only remember Lot8 shoebox size for 9-11k baht.

Using 1,67 THB/PHP

See photos added, and name websites you can search, also craigslist cebu, and cebuclassifieds has apartments for rent.

Note: all images from units I consider located in safe area for walking day and evenings, and most are units I would be fine to live in.

Screenshot_20190706-092044_Samsung Internet-540x960-405x720.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-091629_Samsung Internet-540x960-405x720-303x539.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-092842_Samsung Internet-540x960-405x720.jpg

20190706_091827-540x764-405x573.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-092216_Samsung Internet-540x960-405x720.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-091736_Samsung Internet-540x960-405x720.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-092131_Samsung Internet-540x960-405x720-303x539.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-093335_Samsung Internet-540x960-405x720.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-095544_Samsung Internet-270x480.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-095117_Samsung Internet-270x480.jpg

Thank you guys for all your replies.

This is why I said that Thailand is less expensive for me, just considering basic things as accommodation. It is really frustrating that the price in the Philippines seems to be double of e.g. Chiang Mai if I want the same standard/lifestyle accommodation.

I am not bashing the Philippines; I am interested but it is sad that the country is so accommodation-expensive as a developing country.

500-600 USD for many places I see online, I can rent at home in Germany for that, but with quality, proper electricity and water infrastructure.

I am a subscriber of the videos of this guy / AmazingPhilippines channel - very good and educational. Sometimes I have to stop in the middle of the video because I see something like 300 USD monthly and a crappy room, just cant watch it... too frustrating that I have to sometimes skip the accommodation videos.

I still have hope to just wait until the Philippines further develops and live in Thailand until it is not possible anymore ???????? Or do a Vietnam 1 year break after Thailand ????

How do locals / low-income workers pay these rents? Do you they all live there with 4 people? Because I saw sometimes many beds in a very small room.

Is February to April low season in Cebu/Bohol etc.? Need something to escape for Chiang Mais smoky season so I could finally visit the Philippines.

@lopburi3 Good find, and a option for a cheap brand new unit with balcony (seldom in Cebu). When their done construction in December, they will fill up very fast.

12K PHP = 7,195 THB.

Foam mattress can be very comfortable, so no issue with that.

Fridge was small in some room, but owner seems open for a larger model, if one come early I guess.

TV was small, but that's again normal in the Philippines.

Located in safe area, seldom / no beggars, and within walking distance 20 minute to Ayala center, city's #1 mall.

One thing I am curious about, are those window-type aircon units really that loud? It is hard to tell from some videos.

They say, because the compressor is not outside, as it is with a split-type aircon, it would be much louder.

Most rooms I saw online in the Philippines had window-type aircons. Or maybe that already changes for newly-build accommodation?

From my travelling in TH or Vietnam I have never encountered the window-type aircon before.

8 minutes ago, cerox said:

How do locals / low-income workers pay these rents? Do you they all live there with 4 people? Because I saw sometimes many beds in a very small room.

In city condo is not accomodations for low income workers - they will live in houses on outskirts and other areas of the city and these will be much cheaper but security wise most foreigners would avoid unless have extended family.

13 minutes ago, cerox said:

From my travelling in TH or Vietnam I have never encountered the window-type aircon before.

Have no recent experience but windows will always be louder (which might be a good thing for drowning out rooster calls).  Much new construction in PI is indeed switching to split like the rest of Asia (40 years ago window type was common here in Thailand).  The USA is big on window (as actually use windows so no modifications required/DIY) and PI originally imported from there - but the times are a changin.

32 minutes ago, cerox said:

Sometimes I have to stop in the middle of How do locals / low-income workers pay these rents? Do you they all live there with 4 people? Because I saw sometimes many beds in a very small room.

Is February to April low season in Cebu/Bohol etc.? Need something to escape for Chiang Mais smoky season so I could finally visit the Philippines.

Low income workers don't live in these places, they live in dorm or whats called bedspacer. Imagine a 6sqm room with 3 double decker bed frames, 900 PHP p.p.

Middle income people work in call center etc and earn 15-25k live in these places, of many in Mabolo Garden Flat and La Guardia.

Nov - april high season for semi expats.

Bohol was full last month when I was there.

Window aircon can be quiet or noisy, depends on brand and age. Not really a problem as this is white noise that one get used to fairly quickly. Roosters are a different case, found everywhere.

Off topic: Vietnam would be a easier adaption coming from Thailand

Their new apartments 350$ are almost Thailand style, with large 40' tv, and all other frills, although square meter seems smaller than Thailand average. Now their language .....

Back on topic: Bohol has limited options within budget. Almost on Panglao beach aircon room, cold water bathroom and bed, within budget you mentioned before. AirBnb have all budgets, to get lower rate I found some of the same units for rent on their facebook, and got a much lower rate. Not on Panglao but on Doljo beach. Airbnb was 2900 PHP per night for nice apartment, complete kitchen, big tv, talk  direct with owner on facebook 22000 PHP per month!

Always search on Fb for big savings.

Edited by ExpatPH

Thanks both of you.

I really liked Vietnam last time I visited. But the language... I learned Thai and kind of regret it because it becomes difficult to stay now. Dont want to invest so much time again and stay flexible. This is why I come back to the Philippines. Language, openness / friendliness from the people and girls.

1 hour ago, cerox said:

Thank you guys for all your replies.

This is why I said that Thailand is less expensive for me, just considering basic things as accommodation. It is really frustrating that the price in the Philippines seems to be double of e.g. Chiang Mai if I want the same standard/lifestyle accommodation.

You consider accomodation cost a l o n e, without consider Total Cost of living per month - and thats the mistake many/most do.

Big savings here: food, alcohol, sigarettes, general shopping, and the biggest saving will be support to girlfriend.

Please include grocerys, restaurants, alcohol, misc, in total cost of living. A l l included, you will live cheaper here in the Philippines.

Thanks for many good questions and comments.

12 minutes ago, expatfromwyoming said:

Thailand is certainly the better place of the two even with its entrenched xenophobia

I am OP and I actually agree with you.

This thread was aimed at those who have to move due to denied extension of stay, and a few others.

So please take into consideration, that if when Thailand is no longer a option - then threads like this with info about expat life in Cambodia, Vietnam and in this case Philippines, are valuable.

For the rest who don't have a problem with visa to Thailand, they can continue enjoy Thailand.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, expatfromwyoming said:

Thailand is certainly the better place of the two even with its entrenched xenophobia

Again it depends on what the individual wants and needs are.  For material needs of non fast food/housing Thailand will be the choice for most.  For personal needs of conversation/friends/scenic beauty suspect PI would be winner. 

Have and continue to recommend viewing the videos of BecomingFilipino for just about the best quality video coverage of any area of the country (he posts about 20 min video almost every day).  His content will include personal as well as scenic travel but almost all is well edited and worth a view.

• Like 1

ExpatPH,

I understand that for many it will be less expensive in the Philippines due to eating out, alcohol and girlfriend.

All I meant is it depends on life circumstances.

I dont drink alcohol, dont smoke and with the gf support might depend on age, I am still younger.

Philippines is step by step getting more attractive as TH changes. For example: until recently my traveling costs to PH would have been much more than to Thailand - going back to Europe at least twice per year. But now, that I cannot fly into Bangkok anymore and have to stop in Malaysia first, it is on the same level.

My savings on the visa (PH much cheaper) will be eaten up by electric + higher Internet fees. These condos in high floors must be super-hot - I have difficulty imagining how to cope with only a fan there. So much higher electric fees.

Nevertheless preparation and some knowledge is good. If I do not get my new Thai visa or any Immigration changes make to too difficult to live here, I will just move on.

The money in the bank required for an expat in the phillipines $10,000 with a monthly income of $800, the money in the bank is roundabout the same as the Thai requirements (marriage), do they have agents there that can circumnavigate the bank requirements, or is there any other method to avoid depositing the cash.

Appologies if this has been mentioned earlier, but over 700 posts is a lot to trawl through.

Edited by vogie

@cerox  I see where you coming from, and your questions show a genuine interest to know more. I think I wrote 40 pages before that in my opinion, overall Philippines are best for those age 50+ in good health. Younger crowd will find it boring here, compared to all that modern Thailand have to offer.

In your case, dont drink or smoke, maybe dont have to (pay) support a girlfriend, all into consideration in your case, yes you will not live cheaper here, I guess. Still savings on grocery and misc.

However if human interactions are important for you, able to understand and have a conversation with natives, and generally live in a society built on old days courtesy and manners, Philippines is a clear winner. People here are fantastic. People here have time for you. Longer conversations, less stress, 'manjana' attitude can be bad and good, compared to many other countries. You feel welcome every day, and you notice it every day.

* I write in general terms, aimed more at general expats, often age 50+ many drink, some smoke, most if not all have a girlfriend wife.

If you go Vietnam and stay there for a longer time, I hope you will start a similar topic about Vietnam.

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

The money in the bank required for an expat in the phillipines $10,000 with a monthly income of $800, the money in the bank is roundabout the same as the Thai requirements (marriage), do they have agents there that can circumnavigate the bank requirements, or is there any other method to avoid depositing the cash.

Appologies if this has been mentioned earlier, but over 700 posts is a lot to trawl through.

Alternative tourist visa up to 3 years. Leave. Return next day, start over.

No money deposit required on tourist visa. No monthly requirement, no minimum deposit required.

SRRV deposit can be used to buy a condo. Else it must stay in bank until you cancel your SRRV

Note that US veterans have lower required amount. @lopburi3 know more about that than I do.

Edited by ExpatPH
Added info tourist visa
  • Like 1

Let me repeat this for others who jump in later.

NO minimum monthly income / pension needed for Tourist Visa, max 3 years.

NO minimum deposit in bank required for tourist visa.

No pension letter required.

Tourist visa extension, Immigration don't ask for proof of income or bankbook or bank letter or pension letter. Forget all this in Philippines. Only fill out application form for 1-2-6 months.

SRRV somehow similar to retirement visa in Thailand have different categories and amounts. From 1,000$ - 20,000$ deposit in bank. Amount must stay in bank to keep SRRV visa valid. A yearly smaller fee.

Allowed to use SRRV deposit to buy condo, if condo later sold, deposit required back in bank, or SRRV visa voided.

No 90 days report.

No proof of your location required.

No 24 hours rule to report new location.

Most stay on tourist visa forever, even many married on 13A visa find it just easier to stay on tourist visa.

• Like 1

Agents.

Immigration clamped down on agents some years ago 'No Fixers'.

Travel agents can do your tourist visa extension legally for 800 - 1500 PHP.

Do it yourself visa extension takes 2-3 hours on average. In Cebu city immigration is located inside J Centre mall, easy to pass waiting time. Other immigration office located at Mactan has less waiting time.

SRRV Application has agents working legally for you, and one get a short list of names of agents to use. Highly recommended by those who applied for SRRV.

Do it yourself, expect lots of red tape and delays.

Expats been here 10+ years, many still on tourist visa, some on 13a (married) some on SRRV.

Edited by ExpatPH

I am 31, I think Vietnam has more to offer in terms of value for money and food for me (no need to cook myself as in Thailand).

I see the big positives in the Philippines (from all my research) in the people, friendliness / socializing, and flexible visa. No more planning required when my next extension will be, when I can travel, planning that my extension will be shortly before the smoky season so I can go away for 3 months etc etc.

It is all a trade-off as you said. So for now, living in Thailand, I trade good accommodation / food for some time/effort with immigration.

But I value total flexibility - I could, but I do not want to buy Elite card, it is like a prison for 20 years, because once I leave the country I paid for nothing. Also I do not trust them with all the changes in immigration. Advance-payments for such a long time is just not a good investment for me. Philippines with a maximum of 6 months extension at a time, that is really a dream. Leaving whenever I want, worst case I lose some money for a few months paid in advance. Philippines wins hands down with flexibility and visa. Easy to travel around with no tm30 and stuff like that.

Philippines and Vietnam are good options, if there is ever a crackdown on ED visa. For Vietnam I like DaNang and SGN for more experience - just bigger and more to see. Actually I will be going to SGN next month, since Vientiane is now no longer an option for new visas. The school urged me not to go to Laos for a new ED visa, they started refusing.

I do not see many people talking about Cambodia; but I guess I should check it out too.

• Like 2

Now my question is, why do you think PH would be boring for younger people (below 50)?

It is a "new country" for someone who has not lived there before, I see (e.g. looking at Cebu) lots of streets / city life to explore, mountains, beaches over to Bohol etc.

Do you think Vietnam makes it more interesting because it is more exotic as Thailand?

28 minutes ago, cerox said:

Now my question is, why do you think PH would be boring for younger people (below 50)?

It is a "new country" for someone who has not lived there before, I see (e.g. looking at Cebu) lots of streets / city life to explore, mountains, beaches over to Bohol etc.

Do you think Vietnam makes it more interesting because it is more exotic as Thailand?

Good question cerox.

I base my personal opinion from those younger (30ish) expats who already left, for Vietnam.

I also followed many vlogs from Vietnam.

Advantage in Vietnam:

● Faster internet.

● Better modern apartments

● All the frills same Thailand.

● Better / more nightlife.

● Better food

● Overall faster pace of life.

For the younger crowd, I see many advantages.

But, not all are the same, so I'm sure some individuals only in their 30s will enjoy Philippines as well. All depends of our needs, wants and expectations.

When you reach 50+ you get other priorities.

If you already experienced other countries become less attractive over the years, Philippines becomes a alternative, same as many other destinations do recently.

Age 50+:

● Slower pace of life

● less need for nightlife

● Appreciate more friendly natives

● Appreciate the culture based on courtesy, politeness all the way.

Example, seen arrest of criminals here in Philippines. Even in this situation, police behave with respect to the criminal. No kicking, no accidental hits to his body, its all done in a well mannered way.

Exotic? English language make culture barrier less in Philippines. Maybe less exotic although easier. What do people want most. Up to each of us. 

As 50+ myself, 'easy' get high priority. English widely spoken so no need to learn a new language. And as we both know so well, its not always a advantage to speak and understand the local language.

Still lots of learning and adjustments to enjoy.

Is it exotic to order food in a local restaurant in Vietnam? Seems so, based on vlogs. Even google translate isn't to much help in Vietnam. A frustration for some.

Wherever you choose to go, you are well prepared it seems, and know what to expect, and not.

1 minute ago, ExpatPH said:

Good question cerox.

I base my personal opinion from those younger (30ish) expats who already left, for Vietnam.

I also followed many vlogs from Vietnam.

Advantage in Vietnam:

● Faster internet.

● Better modern apartments

● All the frills same Thailand.

● Better / more nightlife.

● Better food

● Overall faster pace of life.

For the younger crowd, I see many advantages.

But, not all are the same, so I'm sure some individuals only in their 30s will enjoy Philippines as well. All depends of our needs, wants and expectations.

When you reach 50+ you get other priorities.

If you already experienced other countries become less attractive over the years, Philippines becomes a alternative, same as many other destinations do recently.

Age 50+:

● Slower pace of life

● less need for nightlife

● Appreciate more friendly natives

● Appreciate the culture based on courtesy, politeness all the way.

Example, seen arrest of criminals here in Philippines. Even in this situation, police behave with respect to the criminal. No kicking, no accidental hits to his body, its all done in a well mannered way.

Exotic? English language make culture barrier less in Philippines. Maybe less exotic although easier. What do people want most. Up to each of us. 

As 50+ myself, 'easy' get high priority. English widely spoken so no need to learn a new language. And as we both know so well, its not always a advantage to speak and understand the local language.

Still lots of learning and adjustments to enjoy.

Is it exotic to order food in a local restaurant in Vietnam? Seems so, based on vlogs. Even google translate isn't to much help in Vietnam. A frustration for some.

Wherever you choose to go, you are well prepared it seems, and know what to expect, and not.

The biggest advantage for the Brits in the Philippines would be the unfrozen pensions, it can make a very big difference. I have been drawing mine in Thailand now for four years and I have already lost £40ish, the Philippines is looking very tempting.

15 minutes ago, vogie said:

The biggest advantage for the Brits in the Philippines would be the unfrozen pensions, it can make a very big difference. I have been drawing mine in Thailand now for four years and I have already lost £40ish, the Philippines is looking very tempting.

That explains the high number of Brits we have here. A friendly group all of them, and they seem happy here. Meetup at bars in Ayala mall for a few pints ... and the fish & chips here is rather good I must say.

So you saying that in Thailand, Brit pension is on frozen amount, while here in Philippines, your pension get regulated up yearly, same most europeans?

th.jpeg.jpg

Edited by ExpatPH
Edit photo from TGIF Philippines

Oh I need to go eat fish&chips again ????

Good summary, thank you. That is what I thought. Esp. those working online, fast Internet and a decent accommodation is important. When you stay and work home, you do not want to stay in a crappy room or pay as much as you would back in a developed country.

With exotic I meant everything, language, culture, religion, food etc. Philippines seems more easy to adjust for Westerners because of the same religion and English.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

That explains the high number of Brits we have here. A friendly group all of them, and they seem happy here. Meetup at bars in Ayala mall for a few pints ... and the fish & chips here is rather good I must say.

So you saying that in Thailand, Brit pension is on frozen amount, while here in Philippines, your pension get regulated up yearly, same most europeans?

th.jpeg.jpg

Not all european pensions are frozen, might be only the British. I believe that the only country in  Asia where UK pensions are not frozen is in the Philippines. Yes in the Philippines the pension would be upgraded yearly as they have an agreement with the UK.

• Thanks 1

Repeat for new readers.

After 2 months stay in the Philippines, in Cebu one can apply for 2 x 6 month extension apply the 2nd one next day.

(Not all areas allow this)

Then one have 12 months of valid visa, that some LTO require, and one can apply for local driver license.

Pay fee, see doctor, eye test (no worries, all pass) some area still require urine test (drug test) go to dedicated office for printing temporary paper DL or if you lucky a plastic DL. Think I paid 700 PHP per license. First time 1 year validity, renewal get 5 year validity.

One are allowed to drive on DL from home, up to 90 days in country, most checkpoint are inconsistent, can ask for IDL, some ask for passport. If one see LTO on their back, expect thorough check.

Unlicenced vehicles get impounded at checkpoint, same with 'for registration' plate, after first 7 days. Impound fee, daily fee, it quickly become more. Vehicle will not be released until all docs are in order.

Traffic move much slower here than in Thailand. No street racing here, no need to be worried to drive a motorcycle.

Buying a small or big motorcycle are cheaper here than in Thailand. Midsize 300-700cc can be 1,000$ less.

Only passport and money required to buy a vehicle. Nothing else. New motorcycle get a 'for registration plate' driving only allowed for 7 - seven days only. Then one wait for temporary plate, digits only. It can take 1 month to 1+ year to get this plate. Final registration plate can take from 1 month to more than 1 year. Always buy from a recommended dealer who expedite registration quickly, alternative buy 2nd hand.

New cars get temporary digit plate almost instantly these days, and can drive without restrictions.

And lastly, get a good extended 3rd party insurance, just saying.

I am sorry I am not sure whether I understand that correctly.

I buy a new motorcycle and after 7 days I cannot drive it anymore. Then I have to wait (worst case) 2 years for temporary/final plate?! Or do I get another temporary plate?

• Like 1

New motorcycle:

1. Out the shop = for registration, valid 7 days only.

2. Temporary digit plate after 1 month in best case, up to 1+ year.

3. Final number plate, letters and digits.

Unbelivable but true.

Edit: in between, you have to park vehicle, or drive illegal and take your chances...

Edited by ExpatPH
  • Haha 1

2 years?

So I never need to bother about a motorbike or even a license. Who wants to plan his whole life so much in advance. Not doing the same mistake again as in Thailand - no attachments.

Now I understand why all these vloggers ride motorbike taxis and do not drive their own... Really sad, but thanks for the heads up.