Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

How much to budget for motorcycle taxis? Lets say 4 rides per day on average. So we can see / compare the cost.

Example: I buy my own motorbike, live in the country for a few years, sell it again, lose (selling vs. buying price) about 25k THB. Maintenance/fuel super-cheap, do not even need to consider. Monthly below 1.000 THB for transport.

7 minutes ago, cerox said:

2 years?

No my friend, that was not what I said.

Up to.

Some dealers have close connections to LTO so only 3 weeks wait between for registration and temporary digit plate.

Talk with expats in most areas will point you to 'the right motorcycle dealer'.

Alternative, buy a 2nd hand motorcycle.

See opportunities in life rather than negativity, there's often a way.

Motorcycle taxi are half of taxi. And no start up fee, see images. About 2km 40PHP

20190706_171029-810x344.jpg

20190706_171050-270x380.jpg

15 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Motorcycle taxi are half of taxi. And no start up fee, see images. About 2km 40PHP

20190706_171029-810x344.jpg

20190706_171050-270x380.jpg

Same distance with taxi meter is 100PHP.

Angkas in Manila and Cebu so far. I use them most days, not for price, but because they're everywhere. Drivers pay 20% commission to Angkas for use their app, so I always give them 75% of regular taxi fare. Win win for both parties.

Edit: how much for motorcy taxi in Thailand these days, for 2km? 60THB? Almost2$

2km here 0.80$

Edited by ExpatPH
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, DonDoRondo said:

So, can one rent a scooter in Cebu City?  If yes, ballpark monthly rate?

PS - thanks for all your posts.  Good information.

Yes rental bikes 110-125cc for rent here, but its expensive.

9000 - 12000 Php monthly (400-500day)

5400 - 7200 baht.

Limited number for rent, few customers obviously.

Short stayers use Taxi, long stayers buy a motorcycle, cheaper here than in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Same in Thailand, on election day and I believe the day before.

Agree, my post said copied from local forums. Still many strange things like cashier ask the customer 'do you have change' ... Just got to laugh.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I want the readers to get a correct impression of the reality.

I don't want them to fall into the "30 baht vs 50 pesos" trap.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

ExpatPH,

I am wondering, because you talked about many expats who choose to live in hotels for freedom/flexibility, do you have experience with long-term (monthly) rates for places in Cebu/Manila/Bohol?

For a hotel (so water/electric would be included anyway) anything up to 600 USD. Ideal for 2-3 months visit.

Other question about the ACR card:

After 59 days I am required to apply for the card, which takes some time to arrive. So lets say I stay 3 months in total - I have to apply for the card but will not get it on time. What happens?

My first time to the Philippines was about 6 years ago.  I have Been in Thailand since 2001.  Now on retirement extension at 52 years old and may have to use a visa again for the first time ever.   My first trip I was scared to stay in Manila,   I stayed in Cebu, then Bohol.  I stayed near Ayala on my first and 2nd trip then at La Guardia near IT park.    Panglao island is very nice and certainly worth a visit, Tagbilaran is a very small town but I liked it.  Comparing Thailand to the Philippines is tough, both are different. I tended to like the people in Manila or Baguio better . Baguio is very nice, great weather but it was way more crowded then I expected.  Every trip I end up in Bohol and Cebu.   My friend has a hotel on Panglao island so cebu ends up being my main base.   Taxis in Cebu always used the meter, grab fares have gone up since Uber left but still not bad.   I certainly would consider the Philippines if forced out f Thailand.  I have met many good Thai but find it very difficult to find decent ones to maintain a good friendship.  I noticed they seem to have to benefit financially to even be friends, I know this certainly happens in the Philippines as well but the higher English speaking certainly gives you more options.   My observations, many Thai just want to get as much money as they can from us, then move to the next victim where as in the Philippines both male and female would love to find someone to settle down and help their family a little.   The airport in Manila is hell, both international and domestic and I have been ask by security to pay a bribe to skip the very long line at the international in Manila on my last trip, I really hate flying in to that place, I will have a major issue every time.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, genobkk said:

My first time to the Philippines was about 6 years ago.  I have Been in Thailand since 2001.  Now on retirement extension at 52 years old and may have to use a visa again for the first time ever.   My first trip I was scared to stay in Manila,   I stayed in Cebu, then Bohol.  I stayed near Ayala on my first and 2nd trip then at La Guardia near IT park.    Panglao island is very nice and certainly worth a visit, Tagbilaran is a very small town but I liked it.  Comparing Thailand to the Philippines is tough, both are different. I tended to like the people in Manila or Baguio better . Baguio is very nice, great weather but it was way more crowded then I expected.  Every trip I end up in Bohol and Cebu.   My friend has a hotel on Panglao island so cebu ends up being my main base.   Taxis in Cebu always used the meter, grab fares have gone up since Uber left but still not bad.   I certainly would consider the Philippines if forced out f Thailand.  I have met many good Thai but find it very difficult to find decent ones to maintain a good friendship.  I noticed they seem to have to benefit financially to even be friends, I know this certainly happens in the Philippines as well but the higher English speaking certainly gives you more options.   My observations, many Thai just want to get as much money as they can from us, then move to the next victim where as in the Philippines both male and female would love to find someone to settle down and help their family a little.   The airport in Manila is hell, both international and domestic and I have been ask by security to pay a bribe to skip the very long line at the international in Manila on my last trip, I really hate flying in to that place, I will have a major issue every time.  

I agree everything in and around the Manila airport has always been a hellish experience. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I agree everything in and around the Manila airport has always been a hellish experience. 

True - probably worth the effort to fly from Bangkok to Cebu or Clark even if requires connection.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ExpatPH great info. 

You ask for new questions ????

you and others not mentioned Davao city As a alternative to Manila or Cebu. 

What I saw from som YouTuber,Davao looks like a big city with many facilities and close to nature(Samal island),and looks very SAFE. 

What’s the reason you long term expat there, avoid safe part of mindanao?

i read about abu sayyaf and martial law there already. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ExpatHP,     I've been going through all 50 pages of your info here, Thankyou very much for all the time you have dedicated to this. Wish more would contribute something, sometimes.

I 've been in Thailand 9 yrs and making the move this month to Philippines. All done with Thailand.  I have a question: I believe you said you can get up to 14 months in the first week there? What are the steps (again?) And do I need a return flight ticket?  and , will an International drivers license or possibly Thai or American license work for anything? It appears you need a yr stamp in your passport to get a Ph License?    Sorry so many questions...actually I cut it short. Thanks in advance! Don

• 3 weeks later...

I will go to the Philippines sooner, much sooner than expected. My original plan was to visit in February.

Unfortunately my ED visa application was denied, so I have to leave Thailand by around the end of September. I booked my flight to Manila and hope we can share experiences soon to keep it alive here.

2 hours ago, cerox said:

I will go to the Philippines sooner, much sooner than expected. My original plan was to visit in February.

Unfortunately my ED visa application was denied, so I have to leave Thailand by around the end of September. I booked my flight to Manila and hope we can share experiences soon to keep it alive here.

Why was it denied?

again foreigners hopping over to elsewhere meanwhile they now want pubs to be longer open.

for me it doesn’t add up anymore 

2 hours ago, cerox said:

smilemaker,

I am a newbie as you and have not gone to the Philippines yet. Your questions were all answered in the topic here - it will take some reading.

As with Thailand things can vary. Some people said your international DL should be good for 3 months. Others said PH license is necessary. ExpatPH also made a comment in which order within your first week or so you can apply to get your whole year (2x 6 months stamp after extension to in total 59 days) .

Thai license: I asked that before here, it does not seem to be accepted in the Philippines - also asked in a Philippines forum a few months ago about that. Although some said it could be used for 3 months as the International DL. Forget about the "ASEAN agreement" that you should be able to use the license in all the asean-countries.

I will use Angkas first - if I really want to settle down, I buy a motorbike with a good dealer and make sure they get the license plates quickly as described earlier in the topic. Renting a motorbike - does not seem to make sense with the prices.

Onward ticket is needed within 30 days.

I hope ExpatPH is fine. He wrote about his terminal illness and we have not heard about him for a long time. I wish him all the best, he started a great topic here.

Couldn't agree more about your last sentence, and also hope Expat PH is still doing ok.

On 4/4/2019 at 11:42 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's depressing... on many many medical care points you recite above... That would be a major negative factor for me to consider relocating, especially as one gets older. And is a much more negative scenario that I would have guessed based on my general, vague knowledge of PH.

And the strange part is, it seems that so many young Filapinas are studying/training to be nurses... but perhaps, with the idea of working outside the PH instead of at home.

Male and female medical staff work throughout the Middle East as do many other trades from the Philippines. 

16 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Male and female medical staff work throughout the Middle East as do many other trades from the Philippines. 

As well as the US and Europe.  I know multiple Filipina nurses in the US, who if they don't mind the hard work, earn a veritable fortune. 

Edited by AAArdvark

Hi Destiny,

you can read my story or what happened this week here:

I can only pay off (elite) or leave now, so I make it an opportunity ????

With the recent crackdown on ED in Vientiane around June I expected August 2020 would be a problem (would have been the next visa) elsewhere- because usually things move slowly in Thailand, I did not expect it to be so soon. But it is ok, I am kind of prepared.

Hello guys,

I am wondering if any of you has been to Puerto Princesa, I mean a little bit longer than a tourist jumping from spot to spot for a few days. Is it a nice place to live? I read on a Philippine expat forum, that they have good Internet, whatever that means.

For the Internet "worries", so far also explained by ExpatPH, Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Borocay should be fine.

Puerto Princesa looks beautiful for a place to live. I am not so keen to live in the big cities as Manila or Cebu, the traffic congestion and pollution is just not for me.

Now I have three places in my list to settle down: Da Nang, Bohol, Puerto Princesa.

I love Da Nang, but it is just the language issue...