Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

5 hours ago, cerox said:

Hello guys,

I am wondering if any of you has been to Puerto Princesa, I mean a little bit longer than a tourist jumping from spot to spot for a few days. Is it a nice place to live? I read on a Philippine expat forum, that they have good Internet, whatever that means.

For the Internet "worries", so far also explained by ExpatPH, Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Borocay should be fine.

Puerto Princesa looks beautiful for a place to live. I am not so keen to live in the big cities as Manila or Cebu, the traffic congestion and pollution is just not for me.

Now I have three places in my list to settle down: Da Nang, Bohol, Puerto Princesa.

I love Da Nang, but it is just the language issue...

No language issue in Thailand?

Bohol is definitely a good option Panglao.

Destiny and others, who have been to PH before, please let me pick your brains as I am preparing for the Philippines:

I read again in the first few pages from Destiny:

" Small kids toddlers will beg u very consistently in ur face or pull ur shorts for food and pesos coins. U will see them each and every day they sleep in groups on carton boxes things in open streets. Things like that we never experience in Thailand but that is very normal in phillipines. sooner or later it breaks ur heart number one reason for foreigners to leave is orher people their poverty. "

Can you please comment on the homelessness/beggar problem outside of Manila/Cebu, so outside of the big cities? Is it realistic for me to think I can comfortable avoid pollution and this beggar problem altogether by focusing on Puerto Princesa, Borocay, smaller towns on Bohol island?

and from ExpatPH:

"2  Yes. And they do it. Its not uncommon to receive verbal threaths here. At first, one get chock and stress. Over time, one just laugh in silence later, because 99,9% of the time, it's just a threat. 

Be accused of rape, also occur, most cases declined after investigation. 

I am shocked to be honest. I read again and again Filipinos are super-friendly (yes some will scam you so what) and now I read that he lost count of the amount how many times he was verbally threatened??

I do not get it.

It seems like the Philippines city life you take a motorbike or taxi from a mall to your home. You cannot go outside. You have to be scared of children begging and trying to access your pockets - you have to be scared that the moment you will be the declared pedophile?? So what to do? Run away when I see kids? Shout at them which is confrontation and looked down upon too??

Sorry guys, I really make an effort but I have my doubts.

Since I have to leave TH and do not want to buy elite card now, my plan (have very light luggage anyway so its fine) is to give the Philippines a chance. If I cannot cope with it, I will leave for Da Nang to kind of plan the next steps.

I see the positives of the Philippines, but I am not sure I can cope, reading many things again and again now, just shocks me. But I will try.

Have bought a money belt now.

I will try PH/Vietnam for one year perhaps. After that, if it is really true that all the time in TH I complained on a high level, Elite is still the last option.

Edited by cerox

14 minutes ago, cerox said:

Destiny and others, who have been to PH before, please let me pick your brains as I am preparing for the Philippines:

I read again in the first few pages from Destiny:

Can you please comment on the homelessness/beggar problem outside of Manila/Cebu, so outside of the big cities? Is it realistic for me to think I can comfortable avoid pollution and this beggar problem altogether by focusing on Puerto Princesa, Borocay, smaller towns on Bohol island?

and from ExpatPH:

I am shocked to be honest. I read again and again Filipinos are super-friendly (yes some will scam you so what) and now I read that he lost count of the amount how many times he was verbally threatened??

I do not get it.

It seems like the Philippines city life you take a motorbike or taxi from a mall to your home. You cannot go outside. You have to be scared of children begging and trying to access your pockets - you have to be scared that the moment you will be the declared pedophile?? So what to do? Run away when I see kids? Shout at them which is confrontation and looked down upon too??

Sorry guys, I really make an effort but I have my doubts.

Since I have to leave TH and do not want to buy elite card now, my plan (have very light luggage anyway so its fine) is to give the Philippines a chance. If I cannot cope with it, I will leave for Da Nang to kind of plan the next steps.

I see the positives of the Philippines, but I am not sure I can cope, reading many things again and again now, just shocks me. But I will try.

Have bought a money belt now.

I will try PH/Vietnam for one year perhaps. After that, if it is really true that all the time in TH I complained on a high level, Elite is still the last option.

Hey the only way is to experience it yourself but seems you over dramatize our posts.

go 6 months Danang and Six months Bohol and report back to us.

Yes certain areas have begging kids but it became less and mostly its  in Manila, Cebu and AC.  If you live mixed in with other foreigner area I don’t know what conflict you should get most Filipinos are interested in foreigners.

It's pretty much everywhere, worse near the big cities....They'll circle your car hitting the body panels with some with their hands out stretched to your window, wanting you to roll it down & give money....Their at busy intersections.....

They will also encircle you while walking on the street....Gangs of boys 6-14 y/o....The smaller ones annoying, the bigger ones more menacing.....Street wise - never saw a day of school....

They will also hang around schools to shake down the kids that are going to school....

It's a tough, uncomfortable position = you can't strike little kids....You can yell but they still swarm.....Locals sometimes will notice & shoo them away....

Many times there's adults directing them.....Other times it's a band of kids learning from the older ones in the gang....

• Haha 1

Thank you both of you.

Perhaps you are right and I worry "tu mut". ????

Just like to be prepared since PH does not seem to be an easy country as TH.

Destiny, if that number from your nickname is your birth year, you are two years younger than me. Still manage to get by on ED visa or gave in to buy Elite? Or already left TH?

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Was in PI last year and the year before.

Never encountered any kids like this, generally beggars were little old ladies, maybe encountered one a week with their hand out. Always had a great time, never any problems, I would walk from the airport to Pasay Victory Line bus station (through the Barrio), get the bus to Olongapo, then on the Jeepney outside the bus station to Barretto.

Two great beaches and twenty plus night clubs in a one kilometer strip.

Switched to Vietnam now, direct flights from CNX at half the price.

I not much of a Subic kinda guy and these Baretto night joints  are kinda depressing since all doing the same moves????. if i go towards that direction better go out at AC but yes no beach.

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Everyone I encountered in Da Nang spoke English.

Good to know. Last time I was in Da Nang was 4,5 years ago.

But last week when I went to Ho Chi Minh for 7 days, apart from the hotel staff and a few exceptions, most people did not understand any English. This was in District 1.

I will keep everything flexible with monthly hotel rates or so; might jump between Philippines and Vietnam. Everyone seems to have something vastly different to say about the Philippines. I need to see for myself.

5 minutes ago, cerox said:

But last week when I went to Ho Chi Minh for 7 days, apart from the hotel staff and a few exceptions, most people did not understand any English. This was in District 1.

Went to District 1 in April, waitress spoke English, assorted massage girls spoke English, students in September Park spoke English. One lady that approached me also spoke Thai.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cerox said:

Good to know. Last time I was in Da Nang was 4,5 years ago.

I will keep everything flexible with monthly hotel rates or so; might jump between Philippines and Vietnam. Everyone seems to have something vastly different to say about the Philippines. I need to see for myself.

That was my experience to very few people spoke any English. I stayed air bnb and was warned not to take my man bag due to the high amount of snatch and run robbery in Tourist areas. The noise pollution from horn honking and the constant extreme hassles by hawkers turned me off the place

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

That was my experience to very few people spoke any English. I stayed air bnb and was warned not to take my man bag due to the high amount of snatch and run robbery in Tourist areas. The noise pollution from horn honking and the constant extreme hassles by hawkers turned me off the place

Also smash & grab if you get/use a car.....They'll walk with a towel on their neck that they'll wrap around their fist to break into a vehicle for anything left inside.....You can see them casing the cars....

The trike guys will have you take off any gold you might be wearing, rings, necklace, etc....The cabbies make sure your doors are always locked to avoid snatch & grabs....

There's a reason why houses have 9-10 foot walls with broken glass & razor wire on the top along with solid car entry gates with a entry walk in door built in......

The pandesal vendors ringing their bells are a pleasant morning ritual.....

The garbage trucks blaring music through loudspeakers as they drive around = pretty annoying.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2019 at 8:13 AM, pgrahmm said:

Also smash & grab if you get/use a car.....They'll walk with a towel on their neck that they'll wrap around their fist to break into a vehicle for anything left inside.....You can see them casing the cars....

Can you please explain that further? That happens when I take a taxi? Or with empty parked vehicles?

On 8/3/2019 at 10:42 PM, smilemaker said:

I have a question: I believe you said you can get up to 14 months in the first week there? What are the steps (again?) And do I need a return flight ticket?  and , will an International drivers license or possibly Thai or American license work for anything? It appears you need a yr stamp in your passport to get a Ph License?    Sorry so many questions...actually I cut it short. Thanks in advance! Don

- you need an onward ticket (airline / Immigration Philippines)

- Page 25, ExpatPH explains how to get 1y visa in your passport for the Driving License; example:

1. day (arrival) 30 days,

2. day Immigration/extension to 59 days

3. day Immigration/extension for another 6 months

4. day Immigration/extension for another 6 months

He mentioned not all Immigration Offices allow that; Cebu where he lives seemed to allow it.

On other websites I read that you need the ACR card to apply for a driving license. You have to apply for that after 59 days in the country - it can apparently take some time to get that card.

- in theory you can use your English/foreign license or IDL for 90 days

- in theory this would mean you can use your ASEAN Thai license 90 days, ExpatPH and someone else mentioned the Thai license was not accepted

Anyone know if its  possible to  open  a  phillipines  bank  account and have  a UK  pension paid in there so as to  keep the UK yearly  increase instead of the pension being frozen? As I

I  have a  Phillipines  address  i  could  use and a contact and could  fly there quite easily if  required for a few  months to set it  all  up then collect all the cash  once a year or transfer it electronically to  Thailand..............maybe not  legal  but I dont  care so  no need  to  waffle  on about that. I could easily stay there for a  couple of  months if  required to get a registration card  etc? just curious,

Currently  living in Thailand  and no  plan to leave. on No  O  marriage  have been for years, do  not receive this  pension yet, thats years  away.

Edited by Chazar

2 hours ago, cerox said:

Can you please explain that further? That happens when I take a taxi? Or with empty parked vehicles?

As stated above.....You'll also notice savy foreigners constantly keeping their hands in their pants pockets when in close quarters to thwart pick pockets whether in jeepneys or afoot.....

There's a lot of aggressive, actively desperate people there....

I've personally witnessed all of this + much more....It takes years to catch on.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

What do you recommend me to do in Manila? I planned to use either Grab Taxi or the yellow official taxi at the airport to my hotel. Is that safe? Or should I buy locks to lock myself to my small suitcase and hand luggage expecting someone to smash the taxi glass????? Sorry but this makes me crazy. Thank you for your help.

At least I do not have to worry anymore about THB, because I still have 100k baht in my bank account here. Enough until mid-October when I leave. New lows for eur/thb daily - now at 33.5 THB per EUR. What a blessing I lost that money for the school and did not get the visa ????

Hello guys,

looking for information about Bohol; from people who have actually been there.

I will arrive in Bohol around mid-November after travelling other parts of the Philippines. I would like to explore it there a bit longer to see if it is suitable for living. Also, because there is lack of accommodation in PH and with Nov/Dec Christmas/New Year/high season is approaching I wonder if it makes sense to prebook 3 months there.

My questions to you:

- Panglao with the airport: is it more for tourists and the main/Alona beach? Or is it nice to live/stay there longer?

- is Tagbilaran city a better option? I see the ferry from Cebu goes there and they have a mall too

ExpatPH posted the bus schedule between Panglao and Tagbilaran - it looked a big gloomy so I need a bike. But perhaps the transport in Tagbilaran City is better.

Are there police checks on Bohol if I rent a motorbike because I do not have a local driving license?

Recommendations about other cities on Bohol island are appreciated too if the Internet is acceptable. ExpatPH mentioned good Internet, but I guess that he was on the main spots on Panglao and Tagbilaran.

Anybody been to Puerto Princesa? Nice for living or only a good travel spot?

I lived some years on the Philippines and can confirm pretty much everything what you say. But with doctors I had a very good experience over there. At least those I consulted had an education in the USA. Excellent and better than here in Thailand. A quick example - in Phuket a famous expensive hospital said after a lot of expenses for x-rays and CD-scans that I might have lung cancer. I had pain in the chest. Then I flew to the Philippines. A doctor in Manila looked at the pictures and was laughing. He said they ripped me off. He gave me Ibuprofen for 3 days and really - the pain was gone. Also my Philippine dentist - excellent work. 

What I liked there was the great nature - but I also experienced a strong earthquake. Then you sit there and wait for aftershocks. Not nice... 

Life was more stressful on the Philippines. Since everyone can talk to you in English you live more integrated - if you want it or not. This is not always an advantage. Here in Thailand I live a life like in a Farang Ghetto. Life is very convenient here since you can use an excellent service industry made for expats and tourists. On the Philippines you will have often only the same options that the Filipinos have. 

I think both countries are VERY different. Yes and for the guys taking girls out from bars - mostly you have to pay the full amount at the bar. Since the girl has her money already it is not guaranteed that she will do what you expected. Farangs told me many sad stories and how they tried the next day at the bar to get a refund. I myself don't use such services so I never had a bad experience in this respect. Another experience I had that the people on the Philippines often say what they think. They don't care if they insult you or not. Here in Thailand they are much more polite. 

• Like 2

I wanted to share this:

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/30811-my-visa-woes/#comments

If it is not allowed (forum rule) please delete.

From many posters there the Philippines also start cracking down on perpetual tourists. I think it is very similar to what happens in Thailand with first visa-exempt/tourist visa and then ED visa. Only at a slower pace than Thailand but it shows us how quickly things can end in the future.

SRRV visa - you have to be 35 years old as it seems and then deposit 50k USD in a bank. For 35-50y old people Thailand then becomes a better option. Marriage visa available in both countries.

• Sad 1

On 8/30/2019 at 5:23 PM, cerox said:

What do you recommend me to do in Manila? I planned to use either Grab Taxi or the yellow official taxi at the airport to my hotel. Is that safe? Or should I buy locks to lock myself to my small suitcase and hand luggage expecting someone to smash the taxi glass????? Sorry but this makes me crazy. Thank you for your help.

At least I do not have to worry anymore about THB, because I still have 100k baht in my bank account here. Enough until mid-October when I leave. New lows for eur/thb daily - now at 33.5 THB per EUR. What a blessing I lost that money for the school and did not get the visa ????

Just come back from PH, 1 month traveled from Manila ,AC, Iloilo,Bacalod, dumaguete, Cebu, CDO and Davao. 

Been in public market many times. 

Didn’t feel the paranoia you show here. 

Be friendly with them and they show you great response. 

Davao cleanest and safest city in mha

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 6:46 PM, pgrahmm said:

It's pretty much everywhere, worse near the big cities....They'll circle your car hitting the body panels with some with their hands out stretched to your window, wanting you to roll it down & give money....Their at busy intersections.....

They will also encircle you while walking on the street....Gangs of boys 6-14 y/o....The smaller ones annoying, the bigger ones more menacing.....Street wise - never saw a day of school....

They will also hang around schools to shake down the kids that are going to school....

It's a tough, uncomfortable position = you can't strike little kids....You can yell but they still swarm.....Locals sometimes will notice & shoo them away....

Many times there's adults directing them.....Other times it's a band of kids learning from the older ones in the gang....

bit late but that was my experience as well, some of the little kids are pickpockets as well, they tried it on me. Cebu city

not a thing you will see if you never walk outside by yourself or at all and mostly on evenings to be honest

• Haha 1

i had a week in Cebu last year and was bored to death. only 1 ok bar to go to and everyone smoked so hard to spend the evening in there without smelling like an ashtray the next day

maybe a bigger town would be more fun but i'm not in a hurry to go back to PH any time soon. 

no doubt, people act like Cebu city is a big city but metro part of it it's like 6km wide, I lived in the middle and if walked 30 minutes any way you were out of it.

can't talk about bars because I don't drink but air pollution in general when i went was rather bad,  I think it was the jeepneys mostly.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:04 AM, tlcwaterfall said:

Angeles has hotels that cater to all budgets.   My favourite hotel in Walking Street has a pool, elevator, good restaurant and excellent staff. Prices start at 1600 pesos and you get a 10% discount if you pay cash. Hotel is scrupulously clean.

That HAS TO BE Queens ????

On 4/7/2019 at 6:31 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Try buy a condo in Phillipines i dare u.

in Thailand its very straightforward process u pay u get title.

In Phillipines u pay and wait can be months can be years can be scammed one thing is sure u will end up with a telephone book size of an amount of papers copies etc etc for one unit.

there about 9 different institutions involved with a purchase thailand its judt go land office and u done.

Oh there was meant to be a title deed ? I got keys 9 months ago after rejecting turnover 3 x due to glaring defects. I feel lucky to have those rectified and get keys in the end. The title deed... I haven't even started working on. Compare to TH where you sign the paperwork on Monday and Friday you have your yellow tabien baan.... PH is a mess!