Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

On 9/26/2019 at 7:11 AM, tlandtday said:

You must be joking.   You mustn't drive much lol.  Never been referred to as a "farang" you must be living in an expat colony.  The TM30 could well be implemented toward you at any time here or on a trip somewhere with an immigration check.  Thailand is not yet down the drain but it is certainly circling.  If you cannot see the changes and where this is headed that is okay because you can happily carry on and don't forget to take off those rose colored spectacles at the next inevitable check stop.

His experience is similar to mine.

33 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I have, and you're pretty close....In one house it was not unusual to have 19 family members - just there, like everywhere most of the time.....A casual family reunion = 397 people.....

I just was not comfortable with that many people in close quarters......Some good folks, but you never knew who was into what, although they all knew having spent years together.....

I could make a very, very, long list of things I don't miss about the PI....

Honestly, these days, I don't even go up into Isaan to join a visit ... sometimes I do ... but mostly, I'm getting very anxious to go back to my own home again after 2-3 days.

This really was a good thread with a lot of information. To my reading, the PH Family ties are like Thailand on steroids, I don't think I could cope with it 555

And if you could, you got to have deep pockets for the never ending requests from the Family.

No one is going to live without a girl in the PH, so these are some good points to think about and bear in mind!

Edited by RedPill
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, RedPill said:

Jeeeeeezes Christ!!

I've been reading through this link you have posted above for the past 2 days, on and off ... my god, what a soap story. 

Sweet Honey, Money, Family, Money, more Family, more Money, loans, Family again, lies, more money, hidden kids, laws, no legal divorce, adultery, more family, more money, loans, pawn shops, tampo sulcking girls, more money, more family, pawn shops, loans, money and the Wedding.  

The very nice guy but super knobhead with 100% rose tinted glasses on. Unbelievable.

And I thought Thailand was heavy ????

I had to stop reading at page 116 (from 231) ... 

But, if you want to know all about the PH ... you learn a lot and get in-depth info about what has been mentioned and touched on in this thread.

I read through the whole thing.

4 years he spent on the relationship, which turned out to be a complete basket case. Never mind the money, which he could ill afford. Not the kind of stuff you would want to happen in the later years of your life. The guy is now over 70 years old. It turned out his LL (lovely lady) likely 1) was still legaly married, so his later marriage to her was just a dog and pony show. And initialy he thought she didnt have any children. Turned out she had 4 from earlier relationships. And the amount of scamming, lying and antics is extreme.

He is now living in a "sanctuary" to find out the way forward. A real horrorstory.

Personaly I would love to find a good phillipina girlfriend. But to live in the Philippines? Thats a tough sell at this point. But we will see ????

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RobbyXNorway said:

I read through the whole thing ...

...Turned out she had 4 from earlier relationships. And the amount of scamming, lying and antics is extreme.

4 Children?

At page 116 it were only 2!

Ok, I got to read on over the next few days ????

Really, what story and nightmare the guy puts onto himself!

• Like 1

Oh yeah, brings up another good point. 

No birth control in the PH, as per catholic/gov order.

Not to underestimate and then you start to better understand what's going on and why things are as they are.

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Please provide a source for that statement.  Thanks

AFAIK both injections and pills are in wide usage.  

Ok, I really have no source of this. 

I read/heard this on a few forums and YouTube ... 

I stay corrected if this is wrong

What's your info on this?

On 9/16/2019 at 3:48 AM, DannyCarlton said:

I have never been called "farang" or "kwai farang" in Thailand, usually "mister", sometimes "sir".

My retirement extension is still 1900 baht annualy. Cheaper now because I don't have to pay for an Embassy letter (2k baht). Never used an agent, never put a lump sum in the bank. I transfer in exess of 65k baht monthly from my UK bank account which I have always done visa rules or not. Just call into my bank on the morning of my visit, obtain the correct paperwork and off to IO. No big queues now, usually 30 minutes in and out, once per year. No stress. No fear of getting my extension denied.

Never done or been asked for a TM30.

I don't need a residence certificate to renew my DL (every 5 years), I just show my yellow book.

I have driven daily in Pattaya for the last 5 years, never been stopped by the police. Not once.

Visitor numbers are actually on the increase but the demographic of visitors has changed. Those running businesses catering for farangs are suffering but not my problem, bars and restaurants less crowded.

"My Thailand', the beautiful country with friendly natives, low cost living, and a stress free life ... isn't there anymore." Oh yes it is, live and kicking.

The only current downside to Thailand is the exchange rate, but the GBP has taken a hit in the Phillipines too. The high value of the baht is unsustainable and has to come down. Also the problems with the GBP will be resolved when Brexit is resolve. I suspect that THB exchange rates will return to the levels of 3 years ago within the next year or 2.

I explored all the destinations you mentioned (except Phillipines) when looking for a place to retire in SE Asia. Thailand was head and shoulders above the rest of the places, and still is. From this thread, I realise that I haven't missed anything by not exploring the Phillipines first. Cost of living, possibly slightly less, the rest - nah.

A nice positive reasoned exposition of reality. Whatever changes there have been are greatly exaggerated for people by reading this forum. Most people have not experienced problems but have read about them here. The money issue can be a problem even for those who have sufficient funds but can't make the criteria as is the case with the OP....So use an agent. I would much prefer to do that than set up in another country. I am referred to as farang sometimes in my hearing but its easy enough to tell people if i dont like it. I think many Thais would be mortified. As  for 'Kwai' farang...never heard of it. What does it mean?

Birth control pills are available. Condoms are on sale too, but not as widespread as in Thailand (every 711 etc.).

From the sheer amount of children in many families it seems obvious that contraceptives are not used much.

There are positives things too guys. Go yourself and find out. Both countries have positives and negatives. For some retirees PH is better, as they can speak English and get a girl.

Unfortunately the list of negatives is very long for the Philippines in my view; for Thailand it is quiet small if you are not too fussy.

In my current condo, which is not cheap and in a good area, water again came "raining" down the ventilation opening from the ceiling.  Whole bathroom wet when I came back; parts of the wooden floor which is next to the bathroom seems already damaged. Landlord does not care - all seems normal. Maintenance says "no problem". The quality in Thailand for Condos is absolutely breathtaking compared to here. No competent person available in PH here to solve problems.

In my humble opinion I think they live themselves in such bad conditions that they cannot possible understand what luxury the unit owner complains about.

Brands are much cheaper here in PH because of the import taxes in Thailand. Bought a new suitcase and some Adidas sports stuff / bag etc. all the same price I would pay in Europe. Not expensive as in Thailand. Philippines is good for shopping in my view. But you do not need to live here for that.

Motorbikes are cheap as explained by ExpatPH.

As soon as I am alone and I am off the beaten track people take advantage and charge me accordingly. Lots of dual pricing in my view. I think ExpatPH or others do go with their Filipina gf a lot, so they get the local price.

There is some ok food here. No that I stayed almost a month I know some places. You have to be very selective but decent food is available. Also some inexpensive ones. Still not comparable to the huge amounts of good and inexpensive food in Thailand.

Fast food super cheap here. Jollibee, Orange Brutus, Burger King - all of them I paid on average around 150 PHP which is less than 3 USD. So for burger and fast food lovers this is the place to be.

Filipina girls are very sweet people. Bad girls in every country, no matter if you chose Philippines or Thailand. Culturally they are very close to us because of their Spanish/American historic ties. They understand irony etc. so for many retirees I can understand why the Philippines is a good choice: English, closer culturally, visa easy, easy girls.

Got my first Lazada delivery, took 10 days in total from the date of order. Not as fast as TH, but better than expected.

Electricity and Internet in Cebu: no issues for me. Never had a blackout in 2 weeks of being here - but I stay in a good building so maybe there was a blackout and you do not know (backup generators). Internet (had Fiber in one building, DSL here now) and mobile: all slow, but stable. Dont know why OP is offline all the time. Never had issues. Just my experience for now, might all change if one stay longer.

You can live here very cheaply I think. But for the same quality of life as in Thailand, Thailand is so much better. I do not blame the OP for that. He specifically said in the beginning of this topic that you have to make a trade off and you will not have the same comfort. He is right. Fast Internet, and all that comfort, not cheap as in TH.

Leaving PH in 2 weeks . Just need a break, and will come back to explore more. I am not negative about the place. For those who complain about visa in TH and are retirement age, do yourself a favor, deposit that money and just move on with your life. You can get an easy visa for only 1900 THB yearly. If you complain in TH, do not consider PH, you will complain non-stop haha ????

Most frustrating for me is the quality of many things here, and it is all normal. So people will not understand you if you want something of better standard.

• Like 2

Earlier in the topic here people were bickering about Cebu IT Park and that there were no Jeepneys allowed inside. I have been walking this area for many days and stayed there 10 days (first accommodation). Jeepneys go through there all the time and all other kinds of group taxis -all of them belching black smoke.

I will talk about air pollution in Cebu soon, have a portable air quality monitor now. Will also do the same in Chiang Mai in December to compare. I see many people comparing these two places for staying a longer time. In Chiang Mai many AQI stations are now offline - in Cebu it is really difficult to find anything other than some kind of average values. Please keep in mind that I will compare normal pollution levels - not CNX smoky season or similar stuff.

5 hours ago, RedPill said:

Oh yeah, brings up another good point. 

No birth control in the PH, as per catholic/gov order.

Not to underestimate and then you start to better understand what's going on and why things are as they are.

Just an advice People like you should better use condoms.

Edited by Destiny1990

2 hours ago, cerox said:

Earlier in the topic here people were bickering about Cebu IT Park and that there were no Jeepneys allowed inside. I have been walking this area for many days and stayed there 10 days (first accommodation). Jeepneys go through there all the time and all other kinds of group taxis -all of them belching black smoke.

I will talk about air pollution in Cebu soon, have a portable air quality monitor now. Will also do the same in Chiang Mai in December to compare. I see many people comparing these two places for staying a longer time. In Chiang Mai many AQI stations are now offline - in Cebu it is really difficult to find anything other than some kind of average values. Please keep in mind that I will compare normal pollution levels - not CNX smoky season or similar stuff.

IT park is private restricted area only certain designated jeeps are allowed inside there for the amount is way less in comparison with jeepnies on public streets.

When are u going to Bohol?

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Just an advice People like you should better use condoms.

Thanks. But it was not so much for me. More to better understand why so many people live in need of money, family support etc.

I don't know much about the Philippines, hence I'm researching. During this, I read a lot about the strong influence the church has 

into the government, against birth control, lack of sex education in schools etc. 

I read a lot about girls getting pregnant and abundant by the PH guys and draconian laws which are still in place when 

it comes to divorce etc.

How much all of this is true as of today, I don't know. Some have already replied and said that there is birth control available.

But I found it quite astonishing when you look at the going rate of population growth 

PH population was 79million back in 2000, as of today it's 108million ... 

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/philippines-population/

Edited by RedPill

52 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Thanks. But it was not so much for me. More to better understand why so many people live in need of money, family support etc.

I don't know much about the Philippines, hence I'm researching. During this, I read a lot about the strong influence the church has 

into the government, against birth control, lack of sex education in schools etc. 

I read a lot about girls getting pregnant and abundant by the PH guys and draconian laws which are still in place when 

it comes to divorce etc.

How much all of this is true as of today, I don't know. Some have already replied and said that there is birth control available.

But I found it quite astonishing when you look at the going rate of population growth 

I've been asked to Christenings for/with family members in the PI....They're quite unlike any others I'd been to....In a huge church 100's of families just "rubber stamped" through, non stop like on a conveyer belt....Families that had been processed leaving the building while other families arriving, but the seats seemed always to be full with bodies to fill the just vacated seats.....

While amazed by this mass production & looking around I spotted a few white guys - in their 60's - sitting their with young women with babies......The young gals smiling and happy = the 60+ year old guys/father's all had the same look about them......A how in the f##k did this happen/why in the f##k am I here/what in the f##k am I gonna do now.....These were not happy looks as their futures were bleak and dim; now trapped by newly found families, culture, living conditions, and religion....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, RedPill said:

it comes to divorce etc.

Yeah correct I do notice you post mostly your nonsense opinions and or partial truths  about the Phillipines and its people.

Hopefully others here will figure that out about u also !

Edited by Destiny1990

14 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I've been asked to Christenings for/with family members in the PI....They're quite unlike any others I'd been to....In a huge church 100's of families just "rubber stamped" through, non stop like on a conveyer belt....Families that had been processed leaving the building while other families arriving, but the seats seemed always to be full with bodies to fill the just vacated seats.....

While amazed by this mass production & looking around I spotted a few white guys - in their 60's - sitting their with young women with babies......The young gals smiling and happy = the 60+ year old guys/father's all had the same look about them......A how in the f##k did this happen/why in the f##k am I here/what in the f##k am I gonna do now.....These were not happy looks as their futures were bleak and dim; now trapped by newly found families, culture, living conditions, and religion....

thanks for the chuckle.   have to say that I see similar looks from recent retirees that come to Chiangmai.    from walking around with a forced smile, to sitting and watching the world pass by.

Maybe more lost in some ways as the lack of any language skills leave them following their teerak around like a buffalo on a rope.   Takes time to learn things in life, and when you start something new and are over 60 it just ain't that easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ten years ago I tried the Philippines out for size. I'd been half dozen times on business but traveling so fast I'd really no honest perception.

I came in liking the place. It was edgy but I was done with Thailand. I'd lived three years in Cambodia 93-96 so been there done that. I like Khmer people very much and almost married a woman in US but Phnom Penh has no beaches so it's not for me.

Anyway, I ended up absolutely hating the place and the dead enders expats living there. Everyone in the game, everyone so desperate. The entire nation lives hand to mouth.

One day just said F it. Sold everything I had packed my backpack and left that night. I have never returned.

By my estimate Philippines is 20-30% more expensive than Thailand. The restaurant food is absolutely disgusting. The quality of produce and meat is dire.

The women in the bars are absolutely vapid. I think malnutrition on top of 5 grade 3rd world education... Just ridiculous. I guy I met swore it was heavy metals in the water. Maybe you like em stoopid dunno.

The country is broken. The people are not really East Asian at all. It's more a Pacific Islander mindset.

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Ten years ago I tried the Philippines out for size. I'd been half dozen times on business but traveling so fast I'd really no honest perception.

I came in liking the place. It was edgy but I was done with Thailand. I'd lived three years in Cambodia 93-96 so been there done that. I like Khmer people very much and almost married a woman in US but Phnom Penh has no beaches so it's not for me.

Anyway, I ended up absolutely hating the place and the dead enders expats living there. Everyone in the game, everyone so desperate. The entire nation lives hand to mouth.

One day just said F it. Sold everything I had packed my backpack and left that night. I have never returned.

By my estimate Philippines is 20-30% more expensive than Thailand. The restaurant food is absolutely disgusting. The quality of produce and meat is dire.

The women in the bars are absolutely vapid. I think malnutrition on top of 5 grade 3rd world education... Just ridiculous. I guy I met swore it was heavy metals in the water. Maybe you like em stoopid dunno.

The country is broken. The people are not really East Asian at all. It's more a Pacific Islander mindset.

Enjoy!

https://www.google.nl/search?source=hp&ei=pHXSXeyhEI7MwAKCx7SwDg&q=vegan+restaurant+cebu+city&oq=vegan+restaurant+cebu&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.1.1.0l2j0i22i30l2j33i160.3839.15149..17626...0.0..0.83.1208.21......0....1.......8..41i19j41i160j41i10j41i67j41j41i22i30j46i131j0i131j46i275j46.u91bbOpwPSQ#fid=0x33a99937dae57ccf:0x4490e8a9043eeae0&fpstate=luuv&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipMsMD6-cBgEUTnTwF5SSglKmK5KOP79XBaWZeSV&trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:rln,rc_ludocids:4940704603843783392,ru_gwp:0%2C7,ru_phdesc:KBkDhKxOWh4&viewerState=lb

I often eat there at Lunthaw Vegan Cafe in Cebu City !

Very healthy clean vegan foods.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yeah correct I do notice you post mostly your nonsense opinions and or partial truths  about the Phillipines and its people.

Hopefully others here will figure that out about u also !

Wow, where do you get that from?

I was reading up on the Philippines and posting and "asking". 

I never claimed anything is true or not. I'm asking, because I don't know .... what the heck are you on about?

When you research a country, it's good to get to know the dynamics, and how it all works together.

That sets the boundaries and creates a framework, and you can set your correct expectations, somewhere within.

At least be aware of it and you can deal with it accordingly.

Sounds to me you are a bit butt hurt for what ever personal reason ... I can't help it. I just put topics on the table which I read about and people go through and share and I have questions about.

Edited by RedPill

42 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I often eat there at Lunthaw Vegan Cafe in Cebu City !

Very healthy clean vegan foods.

That link is ridiculously long and tedious to even look at.

Q: How do you tell a vegan is in the room?

A: They'll tell you in the first ten minutes.

So, one restaurant in the whole of Philippines and of course reviews are wholly subjective. I never had a decent meal in five months in the north and Palawan.

Cebu is another craphole. It's not an idyllic little Beach town. Hardly. It's also very dodgy at night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Wow, where do you get that from?

I was reading up on the Philippines and posting and "asking". 

I never claimed anything is true or not. I'm asking, because I don't know .... what the heck are you on about?

When you research a country, it's good to get to know the dynamics, and how it all works together.

That sets the boundaries and creates a framework, and you can set your correct expectations, somewhere within.

At least be aware of it and you can deal with it accordingly.

Sounds to me you are a bit butt hurt for what ever personal reason ... I can't help it. I just put topics on the table which I read about and people go through and share and I have questions about.

You never even been in the Phillipines   but here u are giving us ur smarty ass comments about why it’s so horrible over there?

Best u go there yourself in person  first to get some objectivity in ur brain cells ! 

48 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

That link is ridiculously long and tedious to even look at.

Q: How do you tell a vegan is in the room?

A: They'll tell you in the first ten minutes.

So, one restaurant in the whole of Philippines and of course reviews are wholly subjective. I never had a decent meal in five months in the north and Palawan.

Cebu is another craphole. It's not an idyllic little Beach town. Hardly. It's also very dodgy at night.

Lots of fresh seafoods in Palawan.

Is the over sugary over salty and with pesticides laced foods in Pattaya that much better? Really ?

14 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

You never even been in the Phillipines   but here u are giving us ur smarty ass comments about why it’s so horrible over there?

Best u go there yourself in person  first to get some objectivity in ur brain cells ! 

I'm just asking before I go to a country! What's wrong with you? Why are you taking a discussion about PH personally? 

It's pretty similar to Thailand, there are many things you 'have to know', or are better to know before you come here!

I don't know, I'm pretty open and neutral in my research for the country to make up my mind, but you really sound too defensive, in a personal way.

Edited by RedPill
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Best u go there yourself in person

No, as a reminder, you are on an online forum.

On here we ask some questions on a forum i.e. about PH, before you go!

Not just go and see for yourself.

I know, difficult to comprehend, but I would never have come up with the idea to just go and see myself.

Please, don't tell me you are a PH expat with an Stockholm syndrome ... we have enough of them on here already in Thailand 5555

They are of no help, too personally involved and quickly offended about facts ...

Edited by RedPill

30 minutes ago, RedPill said:

No, as a reminder, you are on an online forum.

On here we ask some questions on a forum i.e. about PH, before you go!

Not just go and see for yourself.

I know, difficult to comprehend, but I would never have come up with the idea to just go and see myself.

Please, don't tell me you are a PH expat with an Stockholm syndrome ... we have enough of them on here already in Thailand 5555

They are of no help, too personally involved and quickly offended about facts ...

Problem is that u never asked us any questions about the Phillipines. You only posted negative nonsense one sided statements about the Phillipines a country that you haven’t even visited once.

You’re very far from being a reliable source ! 

Edited by Destiny1990

3 hours ago, Number 6 said:

The women in the bars are absolutely vapid. I think malnutrition on top of 5 grade 3rd world education...

But they speak English, listen to the same music and watch the same movies as us.

Not to mention most of them share my religion.

I've always found them much more interesting than Thai women.

Not that I've ever thought women had anything worth saying in any country.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2