BANGKOK 17 July 2019 09:27
ExpatPH

Philippines 2019 for new expats

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Yeah,  this has evolved into a real food fight.

Hahaha  okay, I hear you.  It's just that as a resident of Cebu, it's strange to read the fantasy, when I experience the reality.  The rather hysterical reporting of pollution here is extraordinary, and usually emanates from people who don't live here.  If it was so bad here, people would not settle here, and this is a rapidly expanding metropolitan area.  If the pollution was so awful, why would SM build the biggest Mall I've ever been in? 

My adopted children have lived here their entire lives, they are all as strong as horses.  I never said there wasn't pollution here - it's everywhere, I just don't want people to go away with the impression that Cebu is like some post apocalyptic landscape where everyone wears face masks.  It's is certainly cleaner than Bangkok, where I also lived for 7 years. 

Surely the best information comes from someone with boots on the ground?  I actually lived in IT Park some years ago, I left after 8 months because of the pollution and noise from the many jeepneys running through the Park 24/7.  Make of that what you will.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Thank you kekalot for the honest feedback.

Also thank you for everyone else for sharing your experience. I know that many of you do not have  immediate health effects neither in Chiang Mai nor in other Asian cities, but that is not a good indication for me. I will go myself and see. Keeping things flexible with no rented motorbike and only hotels makes sure, I can quickly hop to the next city.

For now I could still stay in Chiang Mai and go out yearly for 3-4 months. But the trend how three things are developing is not good (value of the THB, immigration trend, pollution (getting worse) trend), so it is kind of mandatory for me and many others to think about alternatives. The girls are a good point for many singles, Philippines will surely be exciting here.

Don’t relocate to Cebu for expecting better air quality than in Thailand but consider it for other reasons already clearly mentioned in this thread.

However Infrastructure overall  is simply behind with Thailand.

In Cebu just uncountable dirty jeeps there are also nowadays busses but not yet sky trains or subways etc.

These jeeps have to go out of Cebu that would make a big difference.

Bohol is up and coming its nearby and i think the OP will give an update about that air quality soon. Btw not the whole island of Cebu have bad air problems in-fact its a very huge island several times bigger then Phuket and lot of areas are ok especially the ones out of the city center.

55 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

Anyone thinking about it, should at least visit three locations, before deciding.

Absolutely agree. Many other options as well. Laos. Vietnam. Cambodia. Malaysia. Indonesia ......

With todays 'Braking news' in Thailand about yet another new requirement, this time 

Mandatory Health Insurance for long stay,

More people need a Plan B, for next destination.

• Like 1

Keep us posted please esp. about pollution and Internet speeds in Bohol.

With the health insurance as far as I understand it is not clear whether and when it will be implemented - but for those above 50 it is another reason to do research.

Is it okay if I chip in here and ask about the medical in Ph?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Posted (edited)

Well what is kinda confusing at least for me is that this thread started with all the reasons why we should be consider relocating to Cebu example Visa wise, English, friendliness locals etc all of this was mentioned in depth.

However now on the other side the OP starts to warn us about the toxic air in Cebu as it is even similar deadly then in CM?? He even says he has much more respiratory problems in Cebu then in Thailand?

I lived in both Countries I didn’t notice any respiratory differences between the 2 locations but heck its personal of course.

Anyway Maybe the OP should have started with the Cebu his bad air quality comments first in this thread.

Edited by Destiny1990

18 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

To reassure you yes there are hospitals in the Phillipines. 

17 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Sure, welcome to join in.

Medical has been mentioned early in this thread. Very short version, acceptable for minor things, less than average to horrible for serious medical conditions. 

Expats fly to Singapore or Thailand for serious illness, if even possible, else suffer here.

Even private hospitals are lack of staff, lack of medicine, lack of follow up.  Not comparable at all to Thailand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ExpatPH said:

Sneeze, and the content is grey or darker.

that has happened to me as well and only when I was in Cebu city

I mostly avoid cities nowadays, but it wasn't grey when i was in MHS last year with AQI of 400s.

I think the difference is Cebu most of the pollution was the jeepneys and MHS it was from burning around.

both very bad but i'm not sure which one is worse to be honest..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well what is kinda confusing at least for me is that this thread started with all the reasons why we should be consider relocating to Cebu example Visa wise English, friendliness locals all of this was mentioned in depth.

8 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

However now on the other side the OP starts to warn us about the toxic air in Cebu as it is even similar deadly then in CM?? He even says he has much more respiratory problems in Cebu then in Thailand?

Anyway Maybe the OP should have started with the Cebu his bad air quality comments first in this thread.

No.

I said I would be balanced, and I said this thread was supposed to continue over weeks.

First I mentioned the advantages.

Then I mentioned the negatives.

Balanced all the way.

I plan to continue write about Bohol, and I'm sure a new stay at hospital are coming up as well, for more negative about hospital care here.

It's called balanced.

Feel free to start your own new topic and write it 'your way', if you're not satisfied.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

No.

I said I would be balanced, and I said this thread was supposed to continue over weeks.

First I mentioned the advantages.

Then I mentioned the negatives.

Balanced all the way.

I plan to continue write about Bohol, and I'm sure a new stay at hospital are coming up as well, for more negative about hospital care here.

It's called balanced.

Feel free to start your own new topic and write it 'your way', if you're not satisfied.

Can you briefly explain us why you still have chosen to continue living in Cebu instead of living in Thailand with the better medical facilities and the less respiratory problems for you?

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Can you briefly explain us why you still have chosen to continue living in Cebu instead of living in Thailand with the better medical facilities and the less respiratory problems for you?

1. 800k requirement in Thailand. Have more than 800k, but expenses back home put me below 800k to transfer.

2. Have child here in Cebu.

Bohol might be next permanent residence.

• Like 2