Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

10 hours ago, eppic said:

This is an old thread, but just to revive it, it is silly to talk about Philippines as a country when there are huge differences depending on where you live.  No different than Thailand - one person's heaven is another's hell.  For example, we were in the process of relocating to Bonifacio Global City (BGC) in Metro Manila before getting stuck in Bangkok due to Covid.  In many ways, BGC is nicer and more modern than anywhere in Thailand.  We currently live in Bangkok and BGC has more green space, is more walkable and has cleaner air.  many other areas of the Philippines (including most of Manila) are truly awful though, so if that is what you have seen I can understand the perspective.  But before judging the Philippines (and especially Manila), spend some time in BGC.

I saw a mention of Cebu as a location and that is one I would personally avoid -- for the very reason another poster said it was a good option!  Specifically, it is loaded with very old white guys holding hands with teenage girls.  I find this embarrassing and don't want to be put in this group (my wife is a Filipina, but not a child).  Cebu is cheaper than Manila, but I personally prefer Davao by far.  Nicer people, less crime, less old white guys, more relaxed but still plenty to keep you occupied.

BTW, in general most things throughout thailand are superior (infrastructure, supermarkets, food, transport, etc.).  However, Philippines has one HUGE advantage - the people.  You can be welcomed there and make genuine friend, unlike in Thailand where you are always a foreigner and never truly belong.

Bottom line, for 90% of people Thailand is still a better choice, but depending on your circumstances (and budget -- BGC is not cheap!), the Philippines can also be a viable option.

BCG its ok but still dirty and stressful. Cebu People much friendlier then Manila people in general and it has an holiday feeling. I can see an old farang in Manila , Cebu and in bangkok holding hands with an asian teenager so that argument doesn’t make much sense either..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I sincerely doubt someone claiming BGC is "dirty and stressful" has even been there. BGC is about as dirty as Singapore, they have a similar feel. Very well groomed, no smelly Jeepneys allowed, crossing guards everywhere, extremely safe. All top international schools are there. New modern malls, the most premium condos in the country and a long pedestrian-only walkway. No other place in Philippines is even remotely like this. 

I can see the attraction of Cebu if you are also the type of person that thinks Pattaya is the best of Thailand. 

Regarding Bangkok, never see oldsters with teenagers in my neighborhood, that's more of a lower Sukhumvit thing but I avoid that area. If that's your cup of tea, more power to ya.

BTW, Cebu does have some beautiful islands nearby (Calangaman is my favorite) and may be good to explore from, but the city itself is a dump. If you like this environment, move to Palawan instead, it's amazing.

Cebuanas also have a bad reputation throughout the Philippines. Known to be untrustworthy.  Don't believe me, just ask some Filipinos!

Iloilo and Davao locals have a much better reputation (I am not a fan of Luzon natives either).

And yes, the most majority of Metro Manila is also horrible but I already mentioned that - which is why BGC (and Rockwell, Makati) is so exceptional!