BANGKOK 20 June 2019 00:36
ExpatPH

Philippines 2019 for new expats

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't interact with such people, so not a problem for me.

I don't even believe my doctor, although I will use his opinions to direct my online research.

If he suggests a drug, I'll lookup the side effects and contraindications myself, a course of treatment, I'll check to see how it worked for others.

Yup I don’t much trust doctors either i prefer self diagnosing on google..

So if a filipina is telling you that you’re great in bed does that means automatically that she is lying?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If she's telling ME, almost certainly as I'm total rubbish in bed.

I know because my former Brit wife (of 30 years) told me.

(But I've always been good enough for me)

I believe you’re finally talking some truth now Hahaja 😃.

• Like 1

Let us please keep our mind on Thailand/Philippines positive aspects.

Has anyone experience about Bacolod? And Baguio for colder climate?

Bohol could be very nice for me, better air and still close to Cebu if I needed something. Air quality and Internet are the major points for me.

I'm done with Thailand in a couple of months.  Looked at Da Nang but have gotten the feeling

that it's filling up rapidly - now very hard to find a place to stay long term.

Was considering Cebu as an alternative but after reading these posts  there seems to be too many 

negatives so I will continue looking.  Maybe back to the USA for 6 months to regroup.

Thanks to the OP and the other contributors for the information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

When will the OP gives us his Bohol field trip report?

When I arrive there, think I wrote 'end of month'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

Thank you DonDoRondo. 

Traffic, hospitals, local food are the big negatives. The big advantages are easy tourist visa up to 3 year, english widely spoken, and the girls. Easy for those over 50-60 to find a partner.

Philippines isn't for some who need all the frills, comfort, and similarity to Thailand, because that doesn't exist here, unless one pay a high premium for it. It's different, very different, but one get used to it.

Thank you for following up.......for me what is most important is finding a serviced apartment

with good sized units / housekeeper service and a reception desk.  That's what I'm going to miss

most about Chiang Mai.  I also want to be able to rent a scooter and not have to rely on taxis.

Anything like this available in Cebu?  I have looked into a long visa and it seems pretty easy

to obtain.  Really have no interest in returning to the USA.

Again, nice posts.

1 hour ago, DonDoRondo said:

Thank you for following up.......for me what is most important is finding a serviced apartment

with good sized units / housekeeper service and a reception desk.  That's what I'm going to miss

most about Chiang Mai.  I also want to be able to rent a scooter and not have to rely on taxis.

Anything like this available in Cebu?  I have looked into a long visa and it seems pretty easy

to obtain.  Really have no interest in returning to the USA.

Again, nice posts.

First serviced apartment that comes to mind is

Santonis Place Cebu.

Rent starts at 32.000php (620 US$)

Can book direcrly and on AirBnb for shorter stay. Reccommend the later.

Scooter rent per month start at 9000php (180US$)

Tourist visa up to 3 year are easy, aprox 500 US$ year.

Leave for one day only, return and start another 3 years.

• Like 2

Although the Thai Baht is very strong, Thailand in my situation seems still cheap compared to the Philippines. A typical livable condo in Thailand costs me 10k THB monthly, in Cebu it seems to cost twice as much, around 600 USD. From my research most rooms are just unbelievable small otherwise.

I am not complaining about PH, on the contrary I find it very interesting. I am just saying that TH, despite the Baht and the expensive ED visa is still better value if we just talk about money and everyday convenience.

Immigration however will be the major point for me. Also the pollution in Northern Thailand. Plan B is mandatory like ExpatPH said, I totally agree with that.  Yesterday I read something about changes in the ED visa system here in the forum, which was fortunately not confirmed by the school I asked, but it just showed me again the importance of plan B.

I like the fact that so many guys go to Da Nang now; I went there only once for holiday. It is a little bit like Chiang Mai without burning season and Immigration trouble and a beach for me. Bohol seems beautiful; English and the girls seem to be the major plus points for PH.

5 minutes ago, cerox said:

A typical livable condo in Thailand costs me 10k THB monthly, in Cebu it seems to cost twice as much,

That is a valid point - much overbuilding of condos in Thailand for a limited population has kept price very reasonable where in Philippines there is never enough housing/room for rapidly increasing population and condos will normally be city center where as in Thailand they are being built on less expensive land in many places now.  Homes are available at reasonable prices in PI but then you may face security issues if not family home or more expensive gated community.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cerox said:

Although the Thai Baht is very strong, Thailand in my situation seems still cheap compared to the Philippines. A typical livable condo in Thailand costs me 10k THB monthly, in Cebu it seems to cost twice as much, around 600 USD. From my research most rooms are just unbelievable small otherwise.

I am not complaining about PH, on the contrary I find it very interesting. I am just saying that TH, despite the Baht and the expensive ED visa is still better value if we just talk about money and everyday convenience.

Immigration however will be the major point for me. Also the pollution in Northern Thailand. Plan B is mandatory like ExpatPH said, I totally agree with that.  Yesterday I read something about changes in the ED visa system here in the forum, which was fortunately not confirmed by the school I asked, but it just showed me again the importance of plan B.

Condos here are mostly 22-26sqm, smaller than Thailands average 28-32sqm.

Examples of budget condo:

La Guardia Flats, Cebu, furnished unit 22-29sqm with balcony rents for 15000- 20000php. 

(9100-12000 THB)

(290-388US$)

Other building Ramos Tower, same size condo mostly 20000 - 30000php.

Equal to 9000 - 12000 baht is possible here, although in limited numbers vs Thailand.

With so limited buildings in the past, rent stays high vs value for money.

Posted (edited)

Rents are similar a poster said he rents condo in Thai for 10,000 bht that means 15,000 Pesos In Phillipines its very well possible to finding such condos both in Cebu and Pattaya but personally i’am always spending more on rents.

Yes they might be few sqm smaller in Phills for a similar price.

Edited by Destiny1990