Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

56 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Some laws you should know:

No smoking in public all over the country.

Ask for designated smoking area.

Fines for smoking in public start 20$ - 40$ -

Always wear a tshirt in public. Fines.

Dont drink alcohol on the street, in public.  Fines.

Never be alone outdoor or indoor alone with a minor, under 18.

A minor must be in company of a blood relative over 18, if in your presence.

Arrest - court - Jail - fine - deportation - blacklisted.

Never offer to bribe a police officer, immigration officer, government official.

Never be with a married woman, she say she's separated, she don't have a annulment, mean she is still legally married.

Strict laws and jail time for adultery, and, husband can kill you both without consequences.

Do not buy / use narcotics.

Very strict punishment.

Don't overstay your visa.

Fines.

Regards

ExpatPH

sounds a bit perilous to say the least...

• Like 1

Just now, ExpatPH said:

I think I wrote, if I was younger.

Cebu closed all popular places at mango square. Mango was the heart of the nightlife.

Marshalls Irish pub is only place left on mango for drinking. No freelancers.

I think there is Viking club across from Mango and other simular joints.

yeah they did close several discobars at mango and replaced them for restaurants to reduce the amount of drunks right in city center but still this is the most favorable spot for youngers to go out.

7 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I think there is Viking club across from Mango and other simular joints.

yeah they did close several discobars at mango and replaced them for restaurants to reduce the amount of drunks right in city center but still this is the most favorable spot for youngers to go out.

Older expats dont fit in with youngsters, and they're out with their group, not looking for tourists.

Sisters

Bamboozers

PlanetX

Viking

And a few other bikini bars all still down there, 80-140$ for company, lack of quality, not worth it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, balo said:

No bum gun ? Strange, rest of Asia are using it.

There are less present than in Thailand but still around often.

but nowadays developers and hotels in phills try cut corners for not to install them.

they for sale in any hardware store in phills.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

I seen it once only in hotel, else its the old tissue, if any left.

Actually see many newer hotels now have bidet spray from photos and descriptions (but probably still a minority) - and many places are changing to split air conditioning.  

• Like 1

Cebu city don't have a beach, Mactan island where the airport is located has 5 stars hotel with pool, restaurants and sandy beach. One can buy '1 day pass all inclusive', food and drink for 40-50$. Else the area mostly have rocky 'beach'.

Those used to Phuket and Pattaya, and want to be located next to the beach, live in Bantayan Island in north Cebu, or Moalboal.

Bohol island is only a ferry ride from Cebu city. Many already know Panglao Alona beach. This is the place to live for clean air, beautiful beaches, clear water, and a very quiet lifestyle. This island is small, local people very friendly, and has some expats longstayers. 

Boracay Island is the closest similar to Pattaya and Phuket when it comes to beaches. No seedy nightlife, but very beautiful beaches, beach bars, live music on the beach nighttime. Had fast reliable (no cut off) internet 30-50Mbps for those who need that. After 1 year closing previously, this Island is also more enviromental clean, and plan to stay that way. Improved water cleaning and waste management. Clean air.

Angeles city is similar to Pattaya in mini version. The former infamous Fields Avenue was renamed to walking street. Imagine 10% of Soi 6 Pattaya and 10% Walking street Pattaya, and you have a good picture. Some love it there and have a ball, others say its only for chase prostitutes, and heavy drinking. Not been there myself but many of my friends was there, loved it, or hated the place.

Dumaguete city is another Island just south of Cebu island. Large expat community, majority US veterans, most other nationalities as well. Have some very nice apartments similar to Bkk and Pattaya both in city center, and outside city. 

Davao city in south of the country, has a small and growing expat community. Feedback so far is good, regarding modern apartments and restaurants.

Regards

ExpatPH

• Like 2

More about life here.

We have cable tv with 200 channels, 30HD channels.

We have 2 sat tv companies, Sky cable and Cignal. 20$ a month give me a good channel package. 40$ with more HD channels.

If you like 60s and 70s music, all radio channels, stores and taxi play old school music.

Handmade clothes, shoes, belts, sandals can be made within a week.

Furniture made of hardwood or other wood can be made to spesifications within weeks, and the quality is good.

Laminate floor, 60x60 floor tiles, and other building products are available in many hardware store, many imports from US.

Want a used 67 Corvette or a Hummer? Cebu have it.

Want a helicopter trip? Cebu have it.

Want 5 star resort hotel? Cebu have it.

Want a romantic dinner at night, with complete city view? Cebu hills have it.

Want a penthouse with city sea view? Cebu have it.

Many places in PH has more to offer than many of you think. It's not TH, still it's a alternative these days.

Regards

ExpatPH

• Like 2

9 hours ago, swissie said:

But not to forget that in  the Philippines divorce is impossible, not even if wife chases you down the road, armed with a kitchen knife.

Above post by OP is an absolute "must-read". Read it word by word, sentence by sentence. Take your time and let every sentance sink in.   
- After having read above post by ExpatPH carefully, anyones urge to re-locate to the Philippines will surely diminish greatly.
Cheers.

I keep going back to your post, a excellent detailed reply and feedback.

Philippines has anullment of marriage. With a finalized anullment by court, a lady can again legally date and marry again. Maybe not easy to find a church who will marry a person with anullment from Court, still a public ceremony and marriage is possible.

The problem for most married ladies here, whos husband left her, is to afford to apply the court for anullment. Attorney, legal fees, court case, greese the wheels, 2000 - 5000$ all in.

For a average local, this amount is not possible even if all her family contribute.

Some foreigners do fell in love and have in the past been willing to pay the anullment.

For most deserted wifes, due to lack of financials, she will remain 'status married', the rest of her life.

Her hope is to land a foreigners who love her so much, that he's willing to pay the anullment.

It does happen, so it's possible.

Just another example of one must know

'how things are done here'.

* Just a reminder, do not get involved with a person who has been married, unless she now has a complete finalized anullment by Court, already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

What's next in TH?

Obligatory Medical insurance that must be with a TH insurer, who don't accept people over 60/65. Hence NOW you will not get another 1 year extension. 

Insurer who don't accept pre existing conditions that many expats have, who only insure up to 5 mill Thb. Who exclude cancer and more, that many expats might get some day.

What's next in TH?

Minimum 1.2 or 1.5 mill Thb pension to apply for retirement extension.

Expat, you make a compelling, and potentially accurate, argument for the future risks of Thailand relative to the Philippines.

But I must say, of everything said and discussed in this thread thus far, the issue that was the PH killer for me was your summary and description of medical care in the PH. I think the other cons I could learn to live with and/or adjust to. But the absence of available, decent quality medical care for me just sinks it -- but you're obviously in a different place on that issue.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Expat, you make a compelling, and potentially accurate, argument for the future risks of Thailand relative to the Philippines.

But I must say, of everything said and discussed in this thread thus far, the issue that was the PH killer for me was your summary and description of medical care in the PH. I think the other cons I could learn to live with and/or adjust to. But the absence of available, decent quality medical care for me just sinks it -- but you're obviously in a different place on that issue.

Although have not used suspect medical care is not as bad as it may seem - but fact is hospitals in general are very overcrowded and much less attractive than Thailand.  That said believe many doctors are first rate and have much better English ability to diagnose patients.  And nurses are respected worldwide.  New facilities are being built but these are private facilities and not the very cheap government hospitals of Thailand.  If you have insurance believe you can obtain good medical service in major cities. including Cebu - but you do not have the generally good and cheap government fallback that is available in Thailand.  But just as Bangkok is hub for Thailand, Manila offers the best facilities in Philippines.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Although have not used suspect medical care is not as bad as it may seem - but fact is hospitals in general are very overcrowded and much less attractive than Thailand.  That said believe many doctors are first rate and have much better English ability to diagnose patients.  And nurses are respected worldwide.  New facilities are being built but these are private facilities and not the very cheap government hospitals of Thailand.  If you have insurance believe you can obtain good medical service in major cities. including Cebu - but you do not have the generally good and cheap government fallback that is available in Thailand.  But just as Bangkok is hub for Thailand, Manila offers the best facilities in Philippines.

That's a fairly different portrayal than what Expat summarized in his main medical care post early in this thread.

I have no personal experience on that particular subject, so I'm relying on him or you or others who are closer to it than me.

If your comment is accurate -- "If you have insurance believe you can obtain good medical service in major cities. including Cebu" -- then I'd have a different opinion. But that seems a very different summary from the one Expat laid out.

I have pretty good private medical insurance I've always paid for in Thailand -- wouldn't live here without it. And would be of the same mind if I was ever to end up in the Phils.  But the question remains, what kind of medical care do I have the potential to get with that insurance and how broadly is it available (in other words, gotta go to Manilla, or can be had in outlying cities like Cebu)...

Expat's main medical care post was #21.

Short version: Horrible, on pair with Cambodia.

Long version:

Even the best private hospitals here, are only good for food infection, broken limbs, small traffic accidents etc.

Except 1 or 2 private hospitals in Manila.

A serious medical internal illness, you will try to get to Thailand if you can fly in your condition.

And:

Lack of medicine:

many medicines are not available here. Expats who have a serious illness, bring with them medicine from overseas.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1