BANGKOK
ExpatPH

Philippines 2019 for new expats

Cebu pacific air, the local budget airline, are famous for long delays and cancellation.

Staff who didnt meet to duty, lead to huge number of cancellations lately.

The scandal came on tv, newspapers and comsumer protection board was involved. 

From my own experience, Cebu Pacific total ticket prices  (many add-on) isn't lower than flag carrier Philippine Airlines. Sometimes even higher. I prefer the flag carrier, because they depart and arrive mostly 'on time'. And 25 kilo luggage on economy.

3 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

Manila + Boracay have 30 Mbps internet speed, selected areas in Manila 50-100+ Mbps.

Manila companies guarantee 50-100 Mbps that cost 20,000 - 50,000 peso per month!

Bohol was better than expected. And I guess Davao city should be good.

Remaining of the country, internet speed and reliability are closer to Zero.

3G Still a dream.

I'm currently in north Cebu province, Globe has no cellphone signal, or internet.

Smart has 1 bar signal, and less than 1 Mbps internet.

No Skype, no Netflix, no Amazon Prime ...

Can't wait to go back to the city.

My experiance with internet there was mixed, i booked AirBNB modern condo complex's each time and internt was excellent, the 2 Manila hotels i stayed in both modern, Red Planet, differant locations, was also excellent, Hotel in Palawan smallish but modern pretty good wifi too....Hotel in Porta Galeria...forget it...supplied with a donegal seemed best early morning the rest of the day it was dropping out and mainly out...

Phone...i use IPhone and at that time it was a 7, first time i stayed on my Aussie sim connecting to globe...ahhh ok for viber and line forget vid calls or browsing...2cd trip i got a globe sim and worked fine...3rd trip got the globe sim again....same area i was in too half the time....rubbish...was a waste of time.

Some coffee shops like the Aussie Coffee Bean have free wifi, not been there enough to know of others, on the second trip that week in Manila i just headed into the MOA and straight to The Coffee Bean to kill a few hours..

You will be dieing for a salad after a while...green food is hehehe hard to find...its rice and fried chicken in half the places..they do have Subways there i was rather amused at the size of there salad bar......Thai salad bar is a little smaller than a Subway Aussie one...be perpared for the absolute basic in green vegies and salad....and i mean be prepared...but hey...its a little bit of green .....haha.

1 hour ago, stailmanki said:

Finally the beaches/islands in PH are just fantastic as compared to Thailand, & what really makes a big difference is the much fewer number tourists who come to PH, 6 or 8 million I think as opposed to 38 million last year in Thailand.

It is not only the beaches and islands - highly recommend anyone to watch this posters Utube videos (he has hundreds and all very high quality and interesting).

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2019 at 4:11 PM, ExpatPH said:

When Thailand is no longer a long stay option for more and more people, Philippines are a alternative.

But perhaps not a good option for those hiding from US law enforcement (due DSS) or anyone using/dealing drugs (due local enforcement).

Eleven American fugitives arrested after hiding out in the Philippines have now been deported to the face justice in the USA.  Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) appears to have mandate to track them down.

https://philippineslifestyle.com/american-fugitives-deported-justice/

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

But perhaps not a good option for those hiding from US law enforcement (due DSS) or anyone using/dealing drugs (due local enforcement).

https://philippineslifestyle.com/american-fugitives-deported-justice/

Agree lopburi3.

Just demonstrates that the local Law Enforcements here in Philippines, are much better than many think.

Police, NBI, Drug enforcements Agency and many more, are hard working to catch any who brake the law, or who managed to sneak into the country.

An off topic post about Ed Visa in Thailand has been removed, topic is about:

Philippines 2019 for new expats 

On 4/5/2019 at 8:35 PM, swissie said:

Praise where praise is due. OP has delivered a comprehensive "state of affairs". ... Respect.

Valuable summary from @swissie  Thank you for taking your time to write that post.

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2019 at 6:48 PM, ExpatPH said:

I had previous long lasting relationship in Thailand, that felt more like a business deal than love and mutual respect....Here in PH I feel its more real love ... She has proven herself many times to be totally honest and loyal.

Sounds like the best part of living in the PI. 

I'm tired of, and bored with, Thai women.  Wondering how to meet a nice Filipina in Bangkok -- maybe here teaching English (but without wasting time on some Internet "dating" app)?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RLAretired said:

Sounds like the best part of living in the PI. 

I'm tired of, and bored with, Thai women.  Wondering how to meet a nice Filipina in Bangkok -- maybe here teaching English (but without wasting time on some Internet "dating" app)?? 

Although you dont like internet dating, Thaifriendly and Pinalove have many pinays located in Thailand.

Else, become a english teacher yourself.

Alternative 'hang out' (joke) at border to Laos where I expect many of them still do their visa runs.

Thai women keep their figure much better, due to healthier eating habbits.

Here in PH most have a big 'belly' at early 20's and keep on gaining weight by the minute. +20 kilos in few years are common. Choose wisely, a slim figure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Thai women keep their figure much better, due to healthier eating habbits.

Agree, but, like a Dylan song, the times they are a-changin.  Thailand is also putting on a lot more weight.  

16 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Alternative 'hang out' (joke) at border to Laos where I expect many of them still do their visa runs.

Savannakhet; with hundreds of visa travelers and many from PI on Monday and Thursdays nights could be a good place to meet as very few options for entertainment.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hospitals and medication repeated warning.

To illustrate how it is to have a terminal illness in late stage, and live here in Philippines.

Tramadol is the strongest opioid pain medication for 'moderately severe pain' that my doctors give me, when not admitted.

When admitted Opium tablet 5mg was the strongest given. No opioids IV available. Hour later I was still in extreme pain, but no solution available.

Tramadol only take the peaks of my pain these days, so I basically live with pain 24/7.

I'm too weak for a major surgery after extended blood work, so Tramadol was and still is the strongest they give me.

Another member mentioned earlier, only a few doctors in Manila are licensed to give stronger opioids.

Consider this very seriously, if you have last stage health issues.

ExpatPH

Edited by ExpatPH
  • Sad 4

Posted (edited)

We don't have this in Philippines either.

Thailand 'win' again?

Overkil.

imageproxy.jpeg.jpg

Edited by ExpatPH
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1