Jump to content
BANGKOK
ExpatPH

Philippines 2019 for new expats

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Well, it fits the bill for what the OP is looking for, which is, being looked after well, before the inevitable happens. 

 

He's likely right about one thing: a Filipino would look after you better than a Thai.

 

I'm not being sarcastic, but there is a reason why Philippines has the most maids around the globe.

 

That basically outweighs the negatives for him. That and the child. And the negatives are plenty, from infrastructure to being in pain while sick, on light medicine.

 

For people not in this situation, the dynamic might be different.

 

It really varies according to what one does. Retired, digital nomad, working in a company.

 

Google tells me if I am retired i should eye Panama, if I am a digital nomad I should go to Bali or Belgrade, and if I am working for a big company I should live in Singapore 🙂

 

By the way, love is also cheaper in Ukraine. They love you long at what some would find affordable prices. But not as low as Philippinnes.

 

Nevertheless, this is one of the most informative threads I have ever seen on this forum.

 

Best of luck to the OP.

 

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

All that good stuff how come all the people from the Philippines come to Thailand to work? My 300 Philippine friends tell me it is wages, infrastructure, living conditions, absence of dangerous weather, government, Thai SS medical, Food, food, and a nicer country to live in.  There are 20,000 workers from the Philippines in Thailand.  Ask them.  How many Thai workers in The Philippines?  

How is this relevant? They come to Thailand to work because they can't find jobs in the Philippines or because Thailand salaries are much higher. Also the Philippines have a culture of going to work overseas in higher paying countries and send money back home - much like Isaan girls except with less action...

 

 

Manila is indeed a mess with terrible infrastructure, however Angeles City was comfortable, great cheap food, friendly people, and everything costs half of what I pay in Bangkok. Thinking of going back there for a while because I'm sick of overpaying for everything here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

How is this relevant? They come to Thailand to work because they can't find jobs in the Philippines or because Thailand salaries are much higher. Also the Philippines have a culture of going to work overseas in higher paying countries and send money back home - much like Isaan girls except with less action...

 

 

Manila is indeed a mess with terrible infrastructure, however Angeles City was comfortable, great cheap food, friendly people, and everything costs half of what I pay in Bangkok. Thinking of going back there for a while because I'm sick of overpaying for everything here.

A lot of Philippine people work for my wife's company because the food is better in Thailand, the health care (SS) is better in Thailand.  The police are better in Thailand.  The government is better in Thailand.  I live in Thailand and not the Philippines because I can afford it.  In America I lived in a nice neighborhood instead of a slum for the same reason - I can afford it.  If the time comes and I get priced out of Thailand I'll go back home and live in my kids basement.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

So we expats shouldn’t relocate from Thailand to Phillipines because some filipinos go to Thailand to work??

Better Start pitching about hospitals again!

The People from the Philippines if they get sick stay in Thailand instead of go home because the health care is better.  😊 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

A lot of Philippine people work for my wife's company because the food is better in Thailand, the health care (SS) is better in Thailand.  The police are better in Thailand.  The government is better in Thailand.  I live in Thailand and not the Philippines because I can afford it.  In America I lived in a nice neighborhood instead of a slum for the same reason - I can afford it.  If the time comes and I get priced out of Thailand I'll go back home and live in my kids basement.      

I only eat western food - and Philippines is superior to Thailand in that department - especially things like beef and lasagna. Health care I don't care about (yet). Police and government are largely irrelevant for foreigners.

 

I can afford Bangkok too, and I live here because it's a great city and I have friends here, but I enjoy Philippines every time I go there - which I cannot say for many places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Benroon said:

So welcoming that it is now the child sex capital of the world 🤔 

 

Important for some no doubt but No ta

 

Total utter nonsense.

Obviously you haven't read previous pages.

Police, numerous undercover agents, NBI, all are hard working to catch criminals. People with a criminal record are arrested at arrival. Those already in country and who committed a crime, many now serve 20 to life in prison. Don't underestimate local law enforcement!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

I prefer the high exchange rate we have here, compared to the baht that only get stronger, and the trend seems to continue in the future

You keep saying that. As if what's 100 baht in Thailand is 100 pesos in Philippinnes, so therefore you are getting the exchange difference in your pocket.

 

It's false.

 

Let me give you some examples:

 

Coca Cola 1.5L. Your supermarket: 61 pesos. Tops Thailand: 26 baht.

 

Potatoes 99 pesos vs 37 baht in Tesco Lotus

 

Processed Cheese 155- 160 pesos vs 120-145 baht (Villa)

 

Head & Shoulders 450ML 275 pesos vs 179 baht regular price that generally goes down to either 135 baht or 109 baht depending on promotions.

 

So aside cigarettes and maybe slightly on alcohol (PH does not look that cheap either), it's more expensive in PH.

 

Housing rents, we agree they are cheaper in Thailand.

 

Rent a motorbike we agree there it's 12,000 pesos and on Thai islands you can get it for 2,500-3,000 baht.

 

So when you keep saying "you prefer the high exchange rates", realise it's just numbers and an illusion in your head.

 

 

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lkv said:

You keep saying that. As if what's 100 baht in Thailand is 100 pesos in Philippinnes, so therefore you are getting the exchange difference in your pocket.

 

It's false.

 

Let me give you some examples:

 

Coca Cola 1.5L. Your supermarket: 61 pesos. Tops Thailand: 26 baht.

 

Potatoes 99 pesos vs 37 baht in Tesco Lotus

 

Processed Cheese 155- 160 pesos vs 120-145 baht (Villa)

 

Head & Shoulders 450ML 275 pesos vs 179 baht regular price that generally goes down to either 135 baht or 109 baht depending on promotions.

 

So aside cigarettes and maybe slightly on alcohol (PH does not look that cheap either), it's more expensive in PH.

 

Housing rents, we agree they are cheaper in Thailand.

 

Rent a motorbike we agree there it's 12,000 pesos and on Thai islands you can get it for 2,500-3,000 baht.

 

So when you keep saying "you prefer the high exchange rates", realise it's just numbers and an illusion in your head.

 

 

That is somewhat true..honestly its hard to compare prices with different currencies.

i think thai phill prices are similar but over the years the bht keep rising and the peso doesn’t move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lkv said:

You keep saying that. As if what's 100 baht in Thailand is 100 pesos in Philippinnes, so therefore you are getting the exchange difference in your pocket.

 

It's false.

 

Let me give you some examples:

 

Coca Cola 1.5L. Your supermarket: 61 pesos. Tops Thailand: 26 baht.

 

Potatoes 99 pesos vs 37 baht in Tesco Lotus

 

Processed Cheese 155- 160 pesos vs 120-145 baht (Villa)

 

Head & Shoulders 450ML 275 pesos vs 179 baht regular price that generally goes down to either 135 baht or 109 baht depending on promotions.

 

So aside cigarettes and maybe slightly on alcohol (PH does not look that cheap either), it's more expensive in PH.

 

Housing rents, we agree they are cheaper in Thailand.

 

Rent a motorbike we agree there it's 12,000 pesos and on Thai islands you can get it for 2,500-3,000 baht.

 

So when you keep saying "you prefer the high exchange rates", realise it's just numbers and an illusion in your head.

 

 

 

Nonsense

 

I posted earlier link to comparison survey.

Philippines is overall 8% cheaper than Thailand.

Thats also my own experience.

When was you last time in Philippines, and for how long duration?

 

The illusion is on you!

 

And I live here in Philippines full time.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lkv said:

You keep saying that. As if what's 100 baht in Thailand is 100 pesos in Philippinnes, so therefore you are getting the exchange difference in your pocket.

 

It's false.

 

Let me give you some examples:

 

Coca Cola 1.5L. Your supermarket: 61 pesos. Tops Thailand: 26 baht.

 

Potatoes 99 pesos vs 37 baht in Tesco Lotus

 

Processed Cheese 155- 160 pesos vs 120-145 baht (Villa)

 

Head & Shoulders 450ML 275 pesos vs 179 baht regular price that generally goes down to either 135 baht or 109 baht depending on promotions.

 

So aside cigarettes and maybe slightly on alcohol (PH does not look that cheap either), it's more expensive in PH.

 

Housing rents, we agree they are cheaper in Thailand.

 

Rent a motorbike we agree there it's 12,000 pesos and on Thai islands you can get it for 2,500-3,000 baht.

 

So when you keep saying "you prefer the high exchange rates", realise it's just numbers and an illusion in your head.

 

 

 

Ive been there a few times...food over all is definatly cheaper, supermarkets...and mass chains....in fact i spend less when im there compared to Thailand.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lkv said:

So aside cigarettes and maybe slightly on alcohol (PH does not look that cheap either), it's more expensive in PH.

I was buying 700ml bottles of San Miguel gin for 60 pesos in BizMart.

Cheapest bottle of drinkable gin in Thailand is over 200bht.

smg.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

 

Nonsense

 

The illusion is on you!

 

And I live here in Philippines full time.

 

Based on your pics.

Screenshot_20190702-143832_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-144527_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-143902_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-144409_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-143918_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190702-144043_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I apologize, it takes too long to find the price of the Heineken can, so I'm substituting it with bottle, which technically should be more expensive.

Edited by lkv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...