BANGKOK
ExpatPH

Philippines 2019 for new expats

Currency rate do matter for most people.

A look at latest Thai news show that. Expats in Thailand always talk about the damn exchange rate. Sure it does matter. Add on problems with immigration, numerous problems, more and more are pushed to use agents to get their retirement extension. More expenses lately, exchange rate matters even more for majority.

Logic.

Ease of visa also matters, even off shore workers who I asume bring in lots of money on their weeks off, get problems at airport. Sure ease of visa is very important for many.

Philippines don't have too many pros. So when I repeat exchange rate and ease of visa as pros, it is because it matters for majority of expats who consider their Plan B.

Don't try to sell this place, have mentioned the cons many times. But in 2019 with the current situation in los, many are ready and willing to do a trade-off, rather than return home.

Some might remember earlier survey on TV regarding expats income / pension / budget. Majority wasn't rich or well off. 

The average expat now consider Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, and more.

I personally find Cambodia a $hitho/e, but I never feel the need to write it time after time.

I accept that many former thai expats moved there the last 10 years, and have adjusted there. Good for them. 

Getting bored of the never ending bashing of the Philippines. How many times is enough?

How many of you bashers has actually made a real attempt to live here?

Same budget - exact same lifestyle = money last longer in Philippines. Much longer.

20190702_112428.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Poll for most popular destination for 2 week holiday, and most popular destination to retire are hardly comparable.

Exactly what I was saying. If you Google: "10 best places to retire",  "best places as a digital nomad", best places to work and live", you get different results.

Short term tourists will not encounter Immigration hurdles to begin with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lkv said:

Why is it so difficult for you to comprehend?

What of 8% cheaper do you not comprehend??

Have you followed this thread from start?

Still you ignore other members who mentioned what they found cheaper here. And that IT IS overall cheaper here!

You also obviously lack understanding for the many expats who dont have 4,000USD+ per month in pension.

Since you like facts, take time find the survey here on TV before about expats budget. Most are not rich!

They care about costs, overall cost to live here.

Take a look at last weeks and months, most complain about rising living costs in Thailand!

* Money take me 20% further than in Thailand.

Here I have 20% left after 1 months spending, while in Thailand all was easily gone before end of month.

20% savings!

Comprehend?

When I look out the window, I see Cebu business park, I see condos for 5 -120,000,000 peso, Yes thats right 120 Million peso. I see down to green well maintained park, zero beggars, no need for police to frequent the area. Its all about location and local knowledge ON THE GROUND.

A average expat CARE wherever he get 102,000 vs 61,000 because he also get total lower monthly living cost, all included.

What of this do you not comprehend?

Who is selective?

Who don't want to understand just for the heck of it? You only disrupt a thread that was ment to be informative, based on feet on the ground, for years.

Note: others said the same in this thread, many times. It's overall cheaper to live here. That matters for the majority.

Argumentative, trolling, very obvious lack of feet on the ground, lack of actual knowledge, not worth my time, seriously.

#Ignored.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

What of 8% cheaper do you not comprehend??

I will summarize again.

Different people have different spends and needs.

Based on my lifestyle, I would spend more.

Just like some argued with me that buying a TV is a rare occurance, where they are right by the way, I am saying to you, like some other posters were telling you, that some of us also look at the whole picture, and our percentages for spending money on p#ssy, booze and cigs may vary.

And I say this as a smoker. And as a person that likes red wine, where Thailand is scr#wing me, compared to say Cambodia or Vietnam.

I feel that the 8% you mentioned would not apply to me, because of other things I would spend more money on (accomodation, transportation etc).

I also stated, that, regardless of any discount, even 20%, PH is not my cup of tea due to various other factors I will not repeat.

I'm sorry that you were priced out of Thailand. I was not priced out. I can afford Singapore as well, I just don't want to feel ripped off. That's because I'm 37, got savings and income, and can work harder if I want to support a more expensive lifestyle.

Equally speaking, I don't want to overspend since I am calculated, but I don't want to live in some sh#thole either.

I hope it gave you a better understanding of who I am and what I am looking for.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, lkv said:

12 minutes ago, lkv said:

I'll disagree. I was barely using banknotes in Bangkok, apart from 7-11 and some cheaper coffee shops or at food courts.

Debit card from Kbank for everything else: supermarkets (Tesco, BigC, Villa, Tops).

Gourmet Market : QR code payment (because it's cool).

Markets like Chatuchak or food courts still take cash, although if they follow China's example, you might pay QR code there as well.

7-11 accepts AliPay and WeChat pay, but I'm not Chinese, and wasn't bothered to buy the 7-11 card to put money on it. Tue Money app was too complicated to set up and in Thai if I am not mistaken. They take credit cards over 300 or 500 baht, not sure about debit.

Every other place that is priced in the range of 200-300 baht took my debit card. I think there was 1 restaurant out of 100 that said to me they only take credit cards.

yes of course supermarkets and 7/11s but that's not necessarily what tourists use cards for. A 2 week millionaire isn't going to stock up at tesco ..Russians excluded lol

The point was Vietnam and philippines were so far out they didn't even make the the top twenty where thailand had 3 cities mentioned. You need to go back a few posts with my discussion with britmanto to see the relevance

mc.PNG

Edited by madmen
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

So to come back on topic, this is another thing that for me personally weighs a bit, how digital that country has become. I never paid an utility bill cash in years, neither in Thailand nor in my home country, apart from the water at the condo juristic.

Edited by lkv

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, madmen said:

The point was Vietnam and philippines were so far out they didn't even make the the top twenty where thailand had 3 cities mentioned. You need to go back a few posts with my discussion with britmanto to see the relevance

Yes, because you were talking about tourists and Britmantoo was referring to long term living.

You are both right, in the sense that Philippinnes is neither on top of the list when it comes to tourism, nor digital nomads, nor retirement.

In 2019, Thailand is #9 in top 10 retirement destinations, and dropping, because of Immigration changes and strong Thai baht. It does not necessarily mean Philippinnes is going up though.

Edited by lkv

Posted (edited)

Its best with these Country comparison threads to look at several topics.

Personally i don't care which country  is 5% cheaper then the other country.

If i spend 2000 euros in Phillipines or 2100 euros in Thailand in a month so be it. More important is where do you feel the most comfortable and happy.

These 2 countries have topics where their differences significantly  are bigger.

Example English speaking skills.

Phills 80% of citizens speaks English and in Thailand i think 3% of their citizens does.

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

internet

So internet's good yeah? This is my 4G in Europe now. Slightly different to what the OP has been posting.

Screenshot_20190703-003710_Speedtest.jpg

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, lkv said:

So internet's good yeah? This is my 4G in Europe now. Slightly different to what the OP has been posting.

Screenshot_20190703-003710_Speedtest.jpg

Hey guy i am not biased. I am about facts only.

And I happen to like both countries i like honest reporting just what Expat PH has been doing in nearly all his informative posts.

Internet Sucks in Phills everybody knows that. All together their infrastructure is way behind with Thailand.

In the end its a matter of pros and cons.

Both places aren’t perfect but are fascinating destinations.

• Like 1

Off-topic post removed.  

12 hours ago, lkv said:

Because either you change your spending pattern, or spending on drinks represents a high proportion of your monthly expenditure, or you give up "a few sqm" at the condo.

Or you are comparing the wrong things. It's like me comparing the rent in Nakhon Nowhere to the rent in Thonglo.

Or because what you spend your money on costs less in PH. Different people different spendings.

If most is cigarettes, booze and p#ssy, yeah ok. 

Others may look at medical care, infrastracture, appliances, rents, how it looks like when you open the window, etc.

You spent any time in the Philippines?

I have and im not a piss head nor hang out in bars, dont pay for sex and live a normal and quite life.

From visiting for 2 weeks at a time going to the supermarkets some cooking as condos there are all  equipped unlike Thailand going to restaurants there i have found it cheaper and i notice it.....

Finding good food can be challangeing but its around...Greenbelt in Manila is a posh mall....you can pretty much spend the day and evening there.

Pretty sure once you hook up with a local girl a whole new world will open up just like it did for me in Thailand..

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

You spent any time in the Philippines?

Finding good food can be challangeing but its around...Greenbelt in Manila is a posh mall....you can pretty much spend the day and evening there.

Pretty sure once you hook up with a local girl a whole new world will open up just like it did for me in Thailand..

Yeah, spent 1 month in Makati, right next to Greenbelt.

Food was a bit challenging indeed at the time, options were limited. But it was 10 years ago.

Bonifacio looked ok as far as I recall.

But still, if I compare it with Bangkok...

Bangkok has redefined posh with Emquartier and IconSiam. Don't know how Greenbelt looks nowadays...but...

And Terminal 21, as a mid range mall, I think it's awesome. Same goes for Central Rama 9.

Won't even touch on food in Bangkok. It's paradise from A to Z. And I am not referring to Thai food. ALL food.

Man, it's worth another visit. Not saying it's not.  But Bangkok made me happier than any other place in my life. And then gradually things started to fall apart.

Cebu on the other hand, did not hear anything positive. And did not visit.

Edited by lkv