BANGKOK
ExpatPH

Philippines 2019 for new expats

8 minutes ago, lkv said:

Yeah, spent 1 month in Makati, right next to Greenbelt.

Food was a bit challenging indeed at the time, options were limited. But it was 10 years ago.

Bonifacio looked ok as far as I recall.

But still, if I compare it with Bangkok...

Bangkok has redefined posh with Emquartier and IconSiam. Don't know how Greenbelt looks nowadays...but...

Won't even touch on food in Bangkok. It's paradise from A to Z. And I am not referring to Thai food. ALL food.

Man, it's worth another visit. Not saying it's not.  But Bangkok made me happier than any other place in my life. And then gradually things started to fall apart.

Cebu on the other hand, did not hear anything positive.

Ive been 3 times over last 3 ys next trip in one month is Cebu as im over Manila...this time i will have a chaperone to show me a round, id compare say Manila to Chiang Mai, not so much for the touristy stuff....but say the shopping....eating options....its around just not much of it....you have to go around to dig it up...though of course CM caters for all tastes.

Done 2 side trips one to Palawan and the other to Puerto Galera, somewhat backwards and basic but gees there beachs kill Thailands every day of the week....Palawan had trouble finding food that i could eat unless your happy with Macdonalds Jolliebbe and stuff like that. PG was much better in that regard, a line of bars and food options along the beach....rocked nicley in the evenings...and social drinking was cheap along with the food and edible..But be warned the boat ride from Luzon to PG isnt for old rickerty bones no ferry that i was aware of just  maybe 30 people long boat with shitty plank with low hand rail to walk across then steping over support rails in the boat to get a seat...i had hip issues then and found it challenging....But im fine now...and i love adventure so im up for it again....just pack a lot of nuts to eat for when you get hungry hehe...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually believe ExpatPH has tried hard to present a balanced picture of current conditions and he has expanded on the negatives as well as the positives.  Obviously it would not be for everyone (type A especially) but for those willing to adapt and looking for long term relationships or communications it may well be a good choice.  

Actually I do too. I think he has presented a very fair and balanced image of Philippines, with all the goods and the bads. 

We just disagreed on some conversions. 🙂

I wish I had threads like these on Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia.

Edited by lkv

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually believe ExpatPH has tried hard to present a balanced picture of current conditions and he has expanded on the negatives as well as the positives.  Obviously it would not be for everyone (type A especially) but for those willing to adapt and looking for long term relationships or communications it may well be a good choice.  

Its how you the person percives things to be...a positive mindset and a can do attitude will see you over any obstacle, women brought many to Thailand, and women are bring many to Phillipines.

Thailand is 2cd world Phillipines is 3rd world so lets get that into perspective.

Some it will suite others it will not some will have a reason to change others will not getting tired of Phillie bashing.....get to know a local and it will all change.

• Like 1

Everybody should calm down.

This bickering about the prices of Coke, TVs and prostitution is not helpful.

Thank you ExpatPH, you have down a very good job explaining the positives and negatives of the Philippines. Like you said, the two countries cannot be compared - you are right.

But in order to see whether the Philippines are a good alternative, I need to see the cost of living too. If the major expenses like accommodation and transport are so much more expensive than now (and my "now" is Thailand) it makes it less attractive for me. Still the Philippines are an interesting country with many positives.

I see the same balance with Thailand. One the one hand I see immigration getting more difficult for me all the time, higher pollution and rising Thai Baht. On the other hand I see that I am complaining on a high level, considering the condo rental rates in Cebu and motorbike rental rates. Thailands strong THB still seems a good deal.

From the information I gathered here, the Philippines is definitely a good alternative if Thailand becomes impossible to stay in. But from what I read here an adaption in lifestyle is required (smaller condo, walking or buying a motorbike (not renting) to have the same cost of living. If you do this adaptation, sure you can live there cheaper than in Thailand; I have no doubts about that.

Some off topic posts and replies have been removed, please try to stay on topic, thank you.

Thank you ExpatPH for your informative post....im seeing myself possibly spending more time in Cebu over BKK and was wondering if you know a few short term rental options there, like for 1 to 3 months, budget is around 15, to 20,000 P approx per month.

Rather a dedicated building with staff than dealing with someone private as thats how i do it in BKK....

• Like 1

Thanks you ExpatPH for you thread. I believe that that is the maybe better option for you and it's nice to see some good and negatives about living in the Philippines.

But I also see that the cheaper cost not count for all. If you want stay in a nice condo (not 20m2) then I guess the calculation looks different as the main part of money which would disappear would be the cost of living.

On the other site I still agree with many things ExpatPH says here as he is targeting clearly the expats which have problems with Thai VISAs. And as he told be himself many times it should not compare Thailand with Philippines.. and maybe he also should try to do it less!

For myself I see much more advantages in Thailand than in the Philippines, as Health care, Accommodation and Infrastructure is very important to me. For others they also don't care in Thailand to stay in a 5'000 baht condo I think for people like that the Philippines are really cheaper to them and maybe a good solution.

So please stop the complaining on both sites. And see what this thread is about.. It's about how it is to live there. And try to compare less (this I suggest to both the PRO and CONS)!

It was nice to read all and I hope there will be more as well from other members about how it is to live somewhere in the Philippines and as others have suggested would be happy to read same about Cambodia. I see this not as an option to move for me, but to find out about nice points there. When I go to holiday it is also nice to have some advantages when have some knowledge. Go on...

2 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Thank you ExpatPH for your informative post....im seeing myself possibly spending more time in Cebu over BKK and was wondering if you know a few short term rental options there, like for 1 to 3 months, budget is around 15, to 20,000 P approx per month.

Rather a dedicated building with staff than dealing with someone private as thats how i do it in BKK....

Hi AlexRRR

You really made my memory work now. Norm in Cebu is minimum 6-12 months lease, directly or true agent. Many longstayers choose hotel for this very reason. Most hotels are 'guest friendly'.

Within 400$ per month, short term rent, very limited options. Lot 8 serviced apartments,

con: really tiny apartment, almendras street in Mabolo, within 30 min walk to ayala Center, taxi 100p, Angkas motorbike taxi 50p.

1 newer nice place, out in Mandaue city. 4km from Ayala center. Con: distance to cebu city center, but close to airport. Taxi would be 150p+ Angkas motorbike taxi maybe 75p. Search: bigdreamsresidences (in 1 word)

photos attached.

AirBnb have a few units within 400$, Agoda a few 'home' apartments.

Let me think more about options, because rentals in your budget and short term, is one of the first adjustments needed in Cebu city.

Pm me for other details

DSC1207-320x320.jpg

DSC1188-320x320.jpg

• Like 1

I rent a fairly decent condo in BKK near lad Phrao for 10,000 B a month that use to be $AU400 exchange rate now has pushed it to around $466 and in US 327....close to Lad Phrao Central and soon to have a BTS station just around the corner from the soi its in....

bigdreamresidences does monthly starts at 14,500 thats fine and thanks for that....

Long term hotels that fit into the 15 to 20,000 bracket would be appreciated. 

Unless you have these already on a smart phone, download these apps, fill in your travel dates, budget, and city.

Agoda give lower rate in the app, than on their website. Agoda often have discount, so check daily for bargain.

20190703_182433.jpg

20190703_182423.jpg

• Like 1

Dear ExpatPH,

could you recommend flexible options for Cebu / Bohol in the range of around 10k THB / 17k PHP?

6 months contracts I guess for condos or the long-term hotel option sounds interesting for a start.

I had a look at Lamudhi and unfortunately it confirms high rental prices for the Philippines like I mentioned before. I see basic rooms without any frills for around 17k PHP which I could rent as a student dorm 4-5k THB in Thailand.

What do you recommend? Paying more / getting outside (less polluted and better price) or adopting to the 20m² size they offer?

Are the outskirts of Cebu comparable to Chiang Mai? So I can get everything I need within the city and live in a less polluted area.