BANGKOK
ExpatPH

Philippines 2019 for new expats

2 hours ago, cerox said:

Dear ExpatPH,

could you recommend flexible options for Cebu / Bohol in the range of around 10k THB / 17k PHP?

6 months contracts I guess for condos or the long-term hotel option sounds interesting for a start.

I had a look at Lamudhi and unfortunately it confirms high rental prices for the Philippines like I mentioned before. I see basic rooms without any frills for around 17k PHP which I could rent as a student dorm 4-5k THB in Thailand.

What do you recommend? Paying more / getting outside (less polluted and better price) or adopting to the 20m² size they offer?

Are the outskirts of Cebu comparable to Chiang Mai? So I can get everything I need within the city and live in a less polluted area.

Cebu City : google

Lot8

Winland

San Marino

All 3 are centrally located City Condominiums. 

studios about 22/29 sqm sizes.

prices around 15000 pesos for 6 month deal.

Basic aircon rooms with a fridge, tv.nothing fancy!

Bohol i don't know but i would like to know affordable accommodations in Bohol Pang Lao.

Unique in Philippines.
1. Comfort room or CR aka bathroom (the first time I heard this, I had no idea what it was)
2. Jose Rizal is the PH hero, like the George Washington of the States. His statue is everywhere
3. Banana ketchup (really?! there's no tomatoes in this and it's red?) and halo halo (mix mix dessert)
4. Jeepneys 
5. Kiss noise to get people's attention
6. Coin tap on the jeep/bus to stop it
7. Jollibee's
8. Saying 'Scuse' instead of pardon me or excuse me
9. Heavily armed malls and banks - pat downs before entering 
10. Hey Joe (I first heard this in Cebu and had no clue who they were talking to)
11. People rarely travel solo for vacation. They like group travel with their friends, coworkers, or family
12. buy one take one (instead of buy one get one free), avail a service (instead of request)
13. Religious street processions
14. The cashier asks you for change at the register
15. Smaller refrigerator sizes
16. You can buy pharmaceutical pills by the unit. They can sell you just 1 pill if you want
17. You don't take your tray to the trash can at fast food restaurants. Employees do that 
18. Honking on the street. Just to let you know I'm passing you or to tell you not to pull out in front of me
19. Christmas starts in September
20. Divorce is illegal (Vatican city is the only other place)
21. Fast food hotline (You can call one main number and they will place the order with the store and deliver it to you. You don't have to call your local restaurant directly)
22. 13th month pay (It's like a bonus but it is required by law)
23. Mixing up he and her (I have been called Ma'am far too many times; or her)
24. Age discrimination (I have seen Jollibee ads for 20-30 year old ladies. If you're a 40 year old man, you're not working there)
25. Sweet spaghetti
26. Hand respect to elders (mano po)
27. Dirty kitchen 
28. Godparents (and multiple sets of them)
29. shuffling of feet (I call it the FW - Filipino Walking. You have your OFW and FW) 
30. Fast food places run out of food (I've been to KFC twice and they didn't have chicken meals. McDonald's runs out of ice cream all the time)
31. The sales person says out loud the amount of money that you just handed them
32. The President can declare a holiday when he wants
33. Some restaurants give you a plastic hand bag glove for eating chicken or nachos
34. During elections, there is a liquor ban
35. Circumcision at age 13
36. Blunt statements to family members about weight or looks
37. No house mailboxes on the street
38. You treat others to dinner on your birthday
39. Nose bleed syndrome

Copied from local forum.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@cerox 

It's a lack of accomondation in price range 6-13k baht. I've told a few investors to build in this price range.

Many new hostels has sprung up in this segment, on Agoda etc.

13k baht up many options, example Mabolo Garden Flat many vacant units, 22-28sqm for equal to 13-17k baht.

La Guardia Flats within budget, many units, 2 buildings, small balcony. 9-11k baht.

One Oasis Mabolo has pool, lots of vacant units, bargain can be found on all websites down to 9k baht a few times, usually 12k+ baht

At the moment only remember Lot8 shoebox size for 9-11k baht.

Using 1,67 THB/PHP

See photos added, and name websites you can search, also craigslist cebu, and cebuclassifieds has apartments for rent.

Note: all images from units I consider located in safe area for walking day and evenings, and most are units I would be fine to live in.

Screenshot_20190706-092044_Samsung Internet-540x960-405x720.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-091629_Samsung Internet-540x960-405x720-303x539.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-092842_Samsung Internet-540x960-405x720.jpg

20190706_091827-540x764-405x573.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-092216_Samsung Internet-540x960-405x720.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-091736_Samsung Internet-540x960-405x720.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-092131_Samsung Internet-540x960-405x720-303x539.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-093335_Samsung Internet-540x960-405x720.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-095544_Samsung Internet-270x480.jpg

Screenshot_20190706-095117_Samsung Internet-270x480.jpg

To add to above a new unit just opening from 12k per month

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys for all your replies.

This is why I said that Thailand is less expensive for me, just considering basic things as accommodation. It is really frustrating that the price in the Philippines seems to be double of e.g. Chiang Mai if I want the same standard/lifestyle accommodation.

I am not bashing the Philippines; I am interested but it is sad that the country is so accommodation-expensive as a developing country.

500-600 USD for many places I see online, I can rent at home in Germany for that, but with quality, proper electricity and water infrastructure.

I am a subscriber of the videos of this guy / AmazingPhilippines channel - very good and educational. Sometimes I have to stop in the middle of the video because I see something like 300 USD monthly and a crappy room, just cant watch it... too frustrating that I have to sometimes skip the accommodation videos.

I still have hope to just wait until the Philippines further develops and live in Thailand until it is not possible anymore 😀😀 Or do a Vietnam 1 year break after Thailand 🙂

How do locals / low-income workers pay these rents? Do you they all live there with 4 people? Because I saw sometimes many beds in a very small room.

Is February to April low season in Cebu/Bohol etc.? Need something to escape for Chiang Mais smoky season so I could finally visit the Philippines.

@lopburi3 Good find, and a option for a cheap brand new unit with balcony (seldom in Cebu). When their done construction in December, they will fill up very fast.

12K PHP = 7,195 THB.

Foam mattress can be very comfortable, so no issue with that.

Fridge was small in some room, but owner seems open for a larger model, if one come early I guess.

TV was small, but that's again normal in the Philippines.

Located in safe area, seldom / no beggars, and within walking distance 20 minute to Ayala center, city's #1 mall.

One thing I am curious about, are those window-type aircon units really that loud? It is hard to tell from some videos.

They say, because the compressor is not outside, as it is with a split-type aircon, it would be much louder.

Most rooms I saw online in the Philippines had window-type aircons. Or maybe that already changes for newly-build accommodation?

From my travelling in TH or Vietnam I have never encountered the window-type aircon before.

8 minutes ago, cerox said:

How do locals / low-income workers pay these rents? Do you they all live there with 4 people? Because I saw sometimes many beds in a very small room.

In city condo is not accomodations for low income workers - they will live in houses on outskirts and other areas of the city and these will be much cheaper but security wise most foreigners would avoid unless have extended family.

13 minutes ago, cerox said:

From my travelling in TH or Vietnam I have never encountered the window-type aircon before.

Have no recent experience but windows will always be louder (which might be a good thing for drowning out rooster calls).  Much new construction in PI is indeed switching to split like the rest of Asia (40 years ago window type was common here in Thailand).  The USA is big on window (as actually use windows so no modifications required/DIY) and PI originally imported from there - but the times are a changin.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, cerox said:

Sometimes I have to stop in the middle of How do locals / low-income workers pay these rents? Do you they all live there with 4 people? Because I saw sometimes many beds in a very small room.

Is February to April low season in Cebu/Bohol etc.? Need something to escape for Chiang Mais smoky season so I could finally visit the Philippines.

Low income workers don't live in these places, they live in dorm or whats called bedspacer. Imagine a 6sqm room with 3 double decker bed frames, 900 PHP p.p.

Middle income people work in call center etc and earn 15-25k live in these places, of many in Mabolo Garden Flat and La Guardia.

Nov - april high season for semi expats.

Bohol was full last month when I was there.

Window aircon can be quiet or noisy, depends on brand and age. Not really a problem as this is white noise that one get used to fairly quickly. Roosters are a different case, found everywhere.

Off topic: Vietnam would be a easier adaption coming from Thailand

Their new apartments 350$ are almost Thailand style, with large 40' tv, and all other frills, although square meter seems smaller than Thailand average. Now their language .....

Back on topic: Bohol has limited options within budget. Almost on Panglao beach aircon room, cold water bathroom and bed, within budget you mentioned before. AirBnb have all budgets, to get lower rate I found some of the same units for rent on their facebook, and got a much lower rate. Not on Panglao but on Doljo beach. Airbnb was 2900 PHP per night for nice apartment, complete kitchen, big tv, talk  direct with owner on facebook 22000 PHP per month!

Always search on Fb for big savings.

Edited by ExpatPH

Thanks both of you.

I really liked Vietnam last time I visited. But the language... I learned Thai and kind of regret it because it becomes difficult to stay now. Dont want to invest so much time again and stay flexible. This is why I come back to the Philippines. Language, openness / friendliness from the people and girls.

1 hour ago, cerox said:

Thank you guys for all your replies.

This is why I said that Thailand is less expensive for me, just considering basic things as accommodation. It is really frustrating that the price in the Philippines seems to be double of e.g. Chiang Mai if I want the same standard/lifestyle accommodation.

You consider accomodation cost a l o n e, without consider Total Cost of living per month - and thats the mistake many/most do.

Big savings here: food, alcohol, sigarettes, general shopping, and the biggest saving will be support to girlfriend.

Please include grocerys, restaurants, alcohol, misc, in total cost of living. A l l included, you will live cheaper here in the Philippines.

Thanks for many good questions and comments.

12 minutes ago, expatfromwyoming said:

Thailand is certainly the better place of the two even with its entrenched xenophobia

I am OP and I actually agree with you.

This thread was aimed at those who have to move due to denied extension of stay, and a few others.

So please take into consideration, that if when Thailand is no longer a option - then threads like this with info about expat life in Cambodia, Vietnam and in this case Philippines, are valuable.

For the rest who don't have a problem with visa to Thailand, they can continue enjoy Thailand.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, expatfromwyoming said:

Thailand is certainly the better place of the two even with its entrenched xenophobia

Again it depends on what the individual wants and needs are.  For material needs of non fast food/housing Thailand will be the choice for most.  For personal needs of conversation/friends/scenic beauty suspect PI would be winner. 

Have and continue to recommend viewing the videos of BecomingFilipino for just about the best quality video coverage of any area of the country (he posts about 20 min video almost every day).  His content will include personal as well as scenic travel but almost all is well edited and worth a view.

• Like 1

ExpatPH,

I understand that for many it will be less expensive in the Philippines due to eating out, alcohol and girlfriend.

All I meant is it depends on life circumstances.

I dont drink alcohol, dont smoke and with the gf support might depend on age, I am still younger.

Philippines is step by step getting more attractive as TH changes. For example: until recently my traveling costs to PH would have been much more than to Thailand - going back to Europe at least twice per year. But now, that I cannot fly into Bangkok anymore and have to stop in Malaysia first, it is on the same level.

My savings on the visa (PH much cheaper) will be eaten up by electric + higher Internet fees. These condos in high floors must be super-hot - I have difficulty imagining how to cope with only a fan there. So much higher electric fees.

Nevertheless preparation and some knowledge is good. If I do not get my new Thai visa or any Immigration changes make to too difficult to live here, I will just move on.