Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

In Cebu city both Chong Hua (probably best known) and Doctors Hospital are considered good facilities - but again will not be as modern as Bangkok hospitals (although Chong Hua has opened a second facility in the eastern part of city which is not heavily used and appears to be more modern).  Believe if you have the money you can get the care.  

When it comes to this kind of stuff, I'm less interested in the facility per se, and whether it's shiny and new vs old and not so shiny...

But instead...

#1. How skilled and knowledgeable are the doctors at diagnosing and treatment?  I.e., can you find and patronize smart and effective doctors?

#2. What's the availability of the necessary medicines and treatment/diagnostic tools (like CAT scanners, etc) to allow them to do their profession?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's a fairly different portrayal than what Expat summarized in his main medical care post early in this thread.

I have no personal experience on that particular subject, so I'm relying on him or you or others who are closer to it than me.

If your comment is accurate -- "If you have insurance believe you can obtain good medical service in major cities. including Cebu" -- then I'd have a different opinion. But that seems a very different summary from the one Expat laid out.

I have pretty good private medical insurance I've always paid for in Thailand -- wouldn't live here without it. And would be of the same mind if I was ever to end up in the Phils.  But the question remains, what kind of medical care do I have the potential to get with that insurance and how broadly is it available (in other words, gotta go to Manilla, or can be had in outlying cities like Cebu)...

What I already wrote here was from my personal experience when admitted to a few hospitals.

To Lopburi3:

When was your last visit to Philippines?

When was the last time you was admitted to a hospital here, and was it a serious condition and diagnose?

14 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

What I already wrote here was from my personal experience when admitted to a few hospitals.

To Lopburi3:

When was your last visit to Philippines?

When was the last time you was admitted to a hospital here, and was it a serious condition and diagnose?

I thought I had clearly stated I did not have experience in hospitals of Philippines (although lived there 5 years in the past).  I base my post on what I have read currently from others and checking on facilities on internet, including youtube videos and tried to present as such; my opinion.  It was not intended to say you were wrong in your opinion - just that my take is a bit different.  I have also not used facilities in Cambodia but would consider them lower than Philippines from reporting I have read.  And yes I likely will die of cancer also and do not expect the quality of Thai hospitals to make much of a difference.

I have a international expat insurance with high limit. It cost me a fortune per year, but I hope it will be paying off when I need it.

The problem is that many private hospitals only accept local insurer.

#1 private hospital do not accept my international expat insurance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I thought I had clearly stated I did not have experience in hospitals of Philippines (although lived there 5 years in the past).  I base my post on what I have read currently from others and checking on facilities on internet, including youtube videos and tried to present as such; my opinion.  It was not intended to say you were wrong in your opinion - just that my take is a bit different.  I have also not used facilities in Cambodia but would consider them lower than Philippines from reporting I have read.  And yes I likely will die of cancer also and do not expect the quality of Thai hospitals to make much of a difference.

Thanks for your clarification.

Edited by ExpatPH

56 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

I have a international expat insurance with high limit. It cost me a fortune per year, but I hope it will be paying off when I need it.

Re not accepting intl insurance, are you talking about the #1 private hospital in Manila, or the top private in Cebu?

Expat, I think you or someone mentioned Pacific Cross earlier.... I have a Pacific Cross Thailand policy with pretty much worldwide cover, except for a few exceptions like the U.S. It sounds like they have an affiliate in Phils, as I know they operate in several other Asian countries as well.

I wonder if your local hospitals would accept my Pac Cross TH policy as a local one because of that..... I know my Pacific Cross TH policy would include coverage in the Phils, if the hospitals there would accept it.

BTW, these kinds of insurance acceptance issues, if correct, would potentially add another killer strike for me regarding PHs, above and beyond the previously discussed issues of medical care quality and availability.

To TallGuyJohninBKK

You do excellent thorough research of alternative destinations. 

Banks and ATM in PH as one example. On paper is seems OK, when you 'in country', you realize how unreliable they are, how often they dont return card or give money, how often they are offline.  You strictly follow seasoned expats advice what ATM to use.

Imagine you insert your Visa Master card, and the ATM dont return the card. All banks later return cards to issuer bank, worldwide.

You have to cancel old card and order a new card from home, and it will take 2 weeks before DHL deliver it.

We don't dare try out any other ATM, unless it comes with approval from another expat. Very few ATM comes with expat approval, why many of us are willing to travel to one ATM we can trust, and mostly online.

ATM might have Cirrus Visa Master logo, still when you insert card, nothing happen, card are kept, or returned but no money. Those who work mostly have limit 10000php only 190$. I would not spend time repeat this, unless this is a real issue for us.

Expats open local bank account, so we seldom need to use our Visa card anymore, it becomes a back up if we need instant cash, rather than wait 1-2 day for bank online transfer to arrive in local account.

Open local bank account, transfer online, avoid these problems.

Hospitals, doctors, care are another example.

On paper they seem good. What is does not tell you, is how overloaded private hospitals are, same all public hospitals. It does not tell you lack of nurses in hospitals, in a country with 400.000+ unemployed licensed nurses.

Private hospitals here are strictly business, more than in TH, with strong control on expences, and are run with a bare minimum of doctors and nurses.

#1 private hospital in Cebu do not accept international expat insurance anymore, only local insurer. This I got directly from their office.

Pacific cross PH is recommended by expats as the best local insurer. Since its expats #1 local insurer, I would assume that some of the top private hospitals accept it, direct billing not sure, so this is 2nd hand info.

Email Pacific Cross PH for accurat list of hospital they have direct billing with. Think #2 in Cebu is on their list.

Email Pacific Cross TH, they will give you spesific answers 1st hand. 

Sorry I can't be more spesific since I use Intl insurance, for higher limits and broader coverage, than Pacific Cross.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Insurance acceptance issues is something i have been working on last year, because I got confusing answers when email hospitals and insurers.

#1 private hospital Cebu said they dont accept anymore, did in the past. I was shown a short list they accept, all was local insurers.

I assume Intl insurer will honor claim afterwards, but shorten the bill, since private hospitals in Cebu has very high rates.

#2 private hospital Cebu said they do accept some International insurance, incl direct billing. When I asked for a list of insurance they do accept, I could not get it.

I then requested my Intl insurance company for a list of PH hospitals they accept, and Cebu #2 private hospital was on their list, including direct billing. Also some top Manila private hospitals.

Due to unclear what hospital and who cover what, seasoned expats adviced me to have Philhealth and 1-2 mill peso in savings, for hospital expences.

They added that they would fly to Thailand instantly for most serious conditions, if possible.

Regarding Pacific Cross, I think they exclude cancer, don't they?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Re not accepting intl insurance, are you talking about the #1 private hospital in Manila, or the top private in Cebu?

Expat, I think you or someone mentioned Pacific Cross earlier.... I have a Pacific Cross Thailand policy with pretty much worldwide cover, except for a few exceptions like the U.S. It sounds like they have an affiliate in Phils, as I know they operate in several other Asian countries as well.

I wonder if your local hospitals would accept my Pac Cross TH policy as a local one because of that..... I know my Pacific Cross TH policy would include coverage in the Phils, if the hospitals there would accept it.

BTW, these kinds of insurance acceptance issues, if correct, would potentially add another killer strike for me regarding PHs, above and beyond the previously discussed issues of medical care quality and availability.

Nobody is even trying to convince u to relocate to the Phillipines . Enjoy the 5 star Thai hospitals with their double and triple pricing for farangs and where at most only the cashiers can speak a few words of English. if that’s important to you.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

I have dealt first hand with both of those facilities in Cebu.  The training and standards in terms of medical training are far bellow what you would experience compared to Bumrungrad or Bangkok hospital. 

But I think the bottom line question is, with your experience, would you go to either of those two hospitals in Cebu and feel comfortable being treated there for something more than a minor and/or obvious medical problem? And would they accept your insurance for payment? What's the bottom line verdict?

Just by comparison, here in Thailand, I rarely go to either Bumrungrad or Bangkok Hospitals. But there are other, mid range and mid price hospitals where IMHO you can get perfectly decent care from good, competent doctors at a reasonable price, especially if you pick your doctors carefully.

Also, I rarely run into any issues about availability of routine medicines (though I know some cutting-edge U.S. stuff isn't available here)... And insurance acceptance by the private hospitals is NOT a problem. So, that's all I need....

2 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

So would have to pay up-front for service and then make a claim back for insurance payback (which could take months)?  Have same issues in Thailand - and hospital may take one year and stop at any time (been there).  

50 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Regarding Pacific Cross, I think they exclude cancer, don't they?

Expat, thanks for the elaboration above re medical insurance and acceptance there... Very helpful, as have been all of your posts/contributions to this thread.

As for your question above, obviously, I have a Pacific Cross TH policy, not a Pacific Cross PH policy, and I have no way of knowing if they are the same or not. Also, Pacific Cross offers several different levels/prices of policies. Mine happens to be their upper-mid range Maxima policy.

So with those caveats, in looking at my policy, I noticed under outpatient coverage that it specifically includes chemotherapy and radiation treatments. And I don't see anything relating to cancer and such as an entry under the "general exclusions" exceptions.

The general exclusions stuff includes things like: checkups, vaccinations, AIDS and STDs, injuries from DUI or committing crimes, attempted suicide, hunting, conditions that pre-existed when the coverage was begun, vastectomy, plastic surgery, substance abuse rehab, dangerous sports, etc etc.

PS - I do know there are some OTHER Thai medical insurance policies that do specifically exclude cancer, even when it is diagnosed AFTER the policy has been in force.

56 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

seasoned expats adviced me to have Philhealth and 1-2 mill peso in savings, for hospital expences.

So, do you have any ability to comment on how easy or not it is for expats there to get a Philhealth policy as a new arriver, how inclusive the coverage offered is, and at what kind of premium prices?

1 hour ago, mike787 said:

I have dealt first hand with both of those facilities in Cebu.  The training and standards in terms of medical training are far bellow what you would experience compared to Bumrungrad or Bangkok hospital. 

+1 Spot on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExpatPH said:

Banks and ATM in PH as one example. On paper is seems OK, when you 'in country', you realize how unreliable they are, how often they dont return card or give money, how often they are offline.  You strictly follow seasoned expats advice what ATM to use.

That's why I consider your advice here so valuable. The way things are supposed to work, or said to work, either in places like TH or the PH is not necessarily how they actually work in real life.  So direct, first-hand experience is so helpful.

I just wanted to call to your attention what the Visa and MC card networks were reporting, and see if you had any experience with what they say. And obviously, you do!

PS - I certainly concur, one of the last things you want to have happen as an expat is to have an ATM machine eat/swallow the home country bank card that you rely on for obtaining your funds and making POS purchases, because the replacement time and hassle can be considerable.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

So would have to pay up-front for service and then make a claim back for insurance payback (which could take months)?  Have same issues in Thailand - and hospital may take one year and stop at any time (been there).  

Yes, that would be the case in most hospitals here.

And that is a bad option, after read reviews of international insurers, my own included. I worry they would not honor some / many insurance claims later on.

I aim only for direct billing with ahead approval, to avoid claim be denied.

I always try to play it safe, regarding Insurance, banks, ATM's, and visa.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So, do you have any ability to comment on how easy or not it is for expats there to get a Philhealth policy as a new arriver, how inclusive the coverage offered is, and at what kind of premium prices?

All foreigners can get PhilHealth. I have it too for minor things. Foreigner only need passport, and 310$ per year, can pay either for 3 - 6 - 12 months. 

It's a basic insurance that one 'must have' before be admitted to hospital, or 300-500$ cash to be admitted in hospital.

PhilHealth pays +- 30% of your total bill, so its a bare basic local insurance. 

If you have intl insurance with direct billing, one doesnt need PhilHealth.

Still expats recommend it, for minor conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

PhilHealth pays +- 30% of your total bill, so its a bare basic local insurance. 

$300+ a year premium for local insurance that only pays about 30% of your bill?  Hmmmm.......

Hey Expat, just for comparison purposes, what the general price of just a routine doctor office visit at the private Cubu hospitals you've been talking about? Meaning including doctor visit fee, nursing charge, facility charge, etc etc?

Here in Thailand, at a midrange private hospital in BKK, you can have a basic doctor visit for about 1000 baht or $30 U.S. all in (not including any medicines or treatments). If you want to talk about the top end privates, that amount probably moves closer to 2000b or $65 U.S. (again, just to walk in the door and be seen).

13 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Quick 5 min doctor visit 500 peso or 10$ incl prescription. No meds.

Longer 10-15 min doctor visit, examination, 1000 - 1500 peso or 20-30$

So are those prices you're quoting above for a doctor outpatient visit in a private hospital,

or

a doctor visit at the doctor's private practice,

or

same either way?

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So are those prices you're quoting above for a doctor outpatient visit in a private hospital,

or

a doctor visit at the doctor's private practice,

or

same either way?

Same similar rates.

• Thanks 1

Whats aggravates me in Phillipines are those millions of jeepnies with their toxic 40 years old diesel engines killing poisining all pedestrians. Look at Cebu the real problem is lack of money. U get taxed for everything in Phillipines much more then in Thailand however the government there is always broke??

They make many beautiful infrastructure plans on computer animation screen for 200 pesos but thats it.

why Cebu doesnt have a BTS from Bantayan all the way till Badian etc? It will come but by that time we are all death and forgotten. Third bridge to lapu2x supposed to be ready 2 years ago hiwever construction started 4 months ago takes 4-5 more years.etc

a dangerous crossing instead of fixing that crossing they just block a whole street its a problem because now all traffic is stuck forever but the dangerous crossing situation  is fixed according to them..

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Haha 1