Jump to content
BANGKOK
ExpatPH

Philippines 2019 for new expats

Recommended Posts

ExpatPH,

 

I am wondering, because you talked about many expats who choose to live in hotels for freedom/flexibility, do you have experience with long-term (monthly) rates for places in Cebu/Manila/Bohol?

For a hotel (so water/electric would be included anyway) anything up to 600 USD. Ideal for 2-3 months visit.

 

Other question about the ACR card:

After 59 days I am required to apply for the card, which takes some time to arrive. So lets say I stay 3 months in total - I have to apply for the card but will not get it on time. What happens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first time to the Philippines was about 6 years ago.  I have Been in Thailand since 2001.  Now on retirement extension at 52 years old and may have to use a visa again for the first time ever.   My first trip I was scared to stay in Manila,   I stayed in Cebu, then Bohol.  I stayed near Ayala on my first and 2nd trip then at La Guardia near IT park.    Panglao island is very nice and certainly worth a visit, Tagbilaran is a very small town but I liked it.  Comparing Thailand to the Philippines is tough, both are different. I tended to like the people in Manila or Baguio better . Baguio is very nice, great weather but it was way more crowded then I expected.  Every trip I end up in Bohol and Cebu.   My friend has a hotel on Panglao island so cebu ends up being my main base.   Taxis in Cebu always used the meter, grab fares have gone up since Uber left but still not bad.   I certainly would consider the Philippines if forced out f Thailand.  I have met many good Thai but find it very difficult to find decent ones to maintain a good friendship.  I noticed they seem to have to benefit financially to even be friends, I know this certainly happens in the Philippines as well but the higher English speaking certainly gives you more options.   My observations, many Thai just want to get as much money as they can from us, then move to the next victim where as in the Philippines both male and female would love to find someone to settle down and help their family a little.   The airport in Manila is hell, both international and domestic and I have been ask by security to pay a bribe to skip the very long line at the international in Manila on my last trip, I really hate flying in to that place, I will have a major issue every time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, genobkk said:

My first time to the Philippines was about 6 years ago.  I have Been in Thailand since 2001.  Now on retirement extension at 52 years old and may have to use a visa again for the first time ever.   My first trip I was scared to stay in Manila,   I stayed in Cebu, then Bohol.  I stayed near Ayala on my first and 2nd trip then at La Guardia near IT park.    Panglao island is very nice and certainly worth a visit, Tagbilaran is a very small town but I liked it.  Comparing Thailand to the Philippines is tough, both are different. I tended to like the people in Manila or Baguio better . Baguio is very nice, great weather but it was way more crowded then I expected.  Every trip I end up in Bohol and Cebu.   My friend has a hotel on Panglao island so cebu ends up being my main base.   Taxis in Cebu always used the meter, grab fares have gone up since Uber left but still not bad.   I certainly would consider the Philippines if forced out f Thailand.  I have met many good Thai but find it very difficult to find decent ones to maintain a good friendship.  I noticed they seem to have to benefit financially to even be friends, I know this certainly happens in the Philippines as well but the higher English speaking certainly gives you more options.   My observations, many Thai just want to get as much money as they can from us, then move to the next victim where as in the Philippines both male and female would love to find someone to settle down and help their family a little.   The airport in Manila is hell, both international and domestic and I have been ask by security to pay a bribe to skip the very long line at the international in Manila on my last trip, I really hate flying in to that place, I will have a major issue every time.  

I agree everything in and around the Manila airport has always been a hellish experience. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I agree everything in and around the Manila airport has always been a hellish experience. 

True - probably worth the effort to fly from Bangkok to Cebu or Clark even if requires connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ExpatPH great info. 

You ask for new questions 😊

you and others not mentioned Davao city As a alternative to Manila or Cebu. 

What I saw from som YouTuber,Davao looks like a big city with many facilities and close to nature(Samal island),and looks very SAFE. 

What’s the reason you long term expat there, avoid safe part of mindanao?

i read about abu sayyaf and martial law there already. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 6:43 PM, baansgr said:

I was going there to escape Songran, after reading this I've changed my flight to Beirut with a stop over in Bombay.

I think expat PH works for TAT!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 7:50 PM, ExpatPH said:

'My Thailand', the beautiful country with friendly natives, low cost living, and a stress free life ... isn't there anymore.

 

ExpatPH

Of course it's not there anymore. You must have missed my earlier thread. This is not "your Thailand".

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ExpatHP,     I've been going through all 50 pages of your info here, Thankyou very much for all the time you have dedicated to this. Wish more would contribute something, sometimes.

I 've been in Thailand 9 yrs and making the move this month to Philippines. All done with Thailand.  I have a question: I believe you said you can get up to 14 months in the first week there? What are the steps (again?) And do I need a return flight ticket?  and , will an International drivers license or possibly Thai or American license work for anything? It appears you need a yr stamp in your passport to get a Ph License?    Sorry so many questions...actually I cut it short. Thanks in advance! Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

smilemaker,

I am a newbie as you and have not gone to the Philippines yet. Your questions were all answered in the topic here - it will take some reading.

As with Thailand things can vary. Some people said your international DL should be good for 3 months. Others said PH license is necessary. ExpatPH also made a comment in which order within your first week or so you can apply to get your whole year (2x 6 months stamp after extension to in total 59 days) .

 

Thai license: I asked that before here, it does not seem to be accepted in the Philippines - also asked in a Philippines forum a few months ago about that. Although some said it could be used for 3 months as the International DL. Forget about the "ASEAN agreement" that you should be able to use the license in all the asean-countries.

 

I will use Angkas first - if I really want to settle down, I buy a motorbike with a good dealer and make sure they get the license plates quickly as described earlier in the topic. Renting a motorbike - does not seem to make sense with the prices.

 

Onward ticket is needed within 30 days.

 

I hope ExpatPH is fine. He wrote about his terminal illness and we have not heard about him for a long time. I wish him all the best, he started a great topic here.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will go to the Philippines sooner, much sooner than expected. My original plan was to visit in February.

 

Unfortunately my ED visa application was denied, so I have to leave Thailand by around the end of September. I booked my flight to Manila and hope we can share experiences soon to keep it alive here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cerox said:

I will go to the Philippines sooner, much sooner than expected. My original plan was to visit in February.

 

Unfortunately my ED visa application was denied, so I have to leave Thailand by around the end of September. I booked my flight to Manila and hope we can share experiences soon to keep it alive here.

Why was it denied?

again foreigners hopping over to elsewhere meanwhile they now want pubs to be longer open.

for me it doesn’t add up anymore 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cerox said:

smilemaker,

I am a newbie as you and have not gone to the Philippines yet. Your questions were all answered in the topic here - it will take some reading.

As with Thailand things can vary. Some people said your international DL should be good for 3 months. Others said PH license is necessary. ExpatPH also made a comment in which order within your first week or so you can apply to get your whole year (2x 6 months stamp after extension to in total 59 days) .

 

Thai license: I asked that before here, it does not seem to be accepted in the Philippines - also asked in a Philippines forum a few months ago about that. Although some said it could be used for 3 months as the International DL. Forget about the "ASEAN agreement" that you should be able to use the license in all the asean-countries.

 

I will use Angkas first - if I really want to settle down, I buy a motorbike with a good dealer and make sure they get the license plates quickly as described earlier in the topic. Renting a motorbike - does not seem to make sense with the prices.

 

Onward ticket is needed within 30 days.

 

I hope ExpatPH is fine. He wrote about his terminal illness and we have not heard about him for a long time. I wish him all the best, he started a great topic here.

 

Couldn't agree more about your last sentence, and also hope Expat PH is still doing ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 11:42 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

That's depressing... on many many medical care points you recite above... That would be a major negative factor for me to consider relocating, especially as one gets older. And is a much more negative scenario that I would have guessed based on my general, vague knowledge of PH.

 

And the strange part is, it seems that so many young Filapinas are studying/training to be nurses... but perhaps, with the idea of working outside the PH instead of at home.

 

Male and female medical staff work throughout the Middle East as do many other trades from the Philippines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Male and female medical staff work throughout the Middle East as do many other trades from the Philippines. 

As well as the US and Europe.  I know multiple Filipina nurses in the US, who if they don't mind the hard work, earn a veritable fortune. 

Edited by AAArdvark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...