BANGKOK
ExpatPH

Philippines 2019 for new expats

Hi Destiny,

you can read my story or what happened this week here:

I can only pay off (elite) or leave now, so I make it an opportunity 😁

With the recent crackdown on ED in Vientiane around June I expected August 2020 would be a problem (would have been the next visa) elsewhere- because usually things move slowly in Thailand, I did not expect it to be so soon. But it is ok, I am kind of prepared.

Hello guys,

I am wondering if any of you has been to Puerto Princesa, I mean a little bit longer than a tourist jumping from spot to spot for a few days. Is it a nice place to live? I read on a Philippine expat forum, that they have good Internet, whatever that means.

For the Internet "worries", so far also explained by ExpatPH, Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Borocay should be fine.

Puerto Princesa looks beautiful for a place to live. I am not so keen to live in the big cities as Manila or Cebu, the traffic congestion and pollution is just not for me.

Now I have three places in my list to settle down: Da Nang, Bohol, Puerto Princesa.

I love Da Nang, but it is just the language issue...

5 hours ago, cerox said:

Hello guys,

I am wondering if any of you has been to Puerto Princesa, I mean a little bit longer than a tourist jumping from spot to spot for a few days. Is it a nice place to live? I read on a Philippine expat forum, that they have good Internet, whatever that means.

For the Internet "worries", so far also explained by ExpatPH, Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Borocay should be fine.

Puerto Princesa looks beautiful for a place to live. I am not so keen to live in the big cities as Manila or Cebu, the traffic congestion and pollution is just not for me.

Now I have three places in my list to settle down: Da Nang, Bohol, Puerto Princesa.

I love Da Nang, but it is just the language issue...

No language issue in Thailand?

Bohol is definitely a good option Panglao.

I speak Thai so TH is easy for me. But Vietnam I dont understand a single word. And I am not willing to learn a new language, seeing that at one point they can throw you out again. Will look at Panglao soon.

Posted (edited)

Destiny and others, who have been to PH before, please let me pick your brains as I am preparing for the Philippines:

I read again in the first few pages from Destiny:

" Small kids toddlers will beg u very consistently in ur face or pull ur shorts for food and pesos coins. U will see them each and every day they sleep in groups on carton boxes things in open streets. Things like that we never experience in Thailand but that is very normal in phillipines. sooner or later it breaks ur heart number one reason for foreigners to leave is orher people their poverty. "

Can you please comment on the homelessness/beggar problem outside of Manila/Cebu, so outside of the big cities? Is it realistic for me to think I can comfortable avoid pollution and this beggar problem altogether by focusing on Puerto Princesa, Borocay, smaller towns on Bohol island?

and from ExpatPH:

"2  Yes. And they do it. Its not uncommon to receive verbal threaths here. At first, one get chock and stress. Over time, one just laugh in silence later, because 99,9% of the time, it's just a threat. 

Be accused of rape, also occur, most cases declined after investigation. 

I am shocked to be honest. I read again and again Filipinos are super-friendly (yes some will scam you so what) and now I read that he lost count of the amount how many times he was verbally threatened??

I do not get it.

It seems like the Philippines city life you take a motorbike or taxi from a mall to your home. You cannot go outside. You have to be scared of children begging and trying to access your pockets - you have to be scared that the moment you will be the declared pedophile?? So what to do? Run away when I see kids? Shout at them which is confrontation and looked down upon too??

Sorry guys, I really make an effort but I have my doubts.

Since I have to leave TH and do not want to buy elite card now, my plan (have very light luggage anyway so its fine) is to give the Philippines a chance. If I cannot cope with it, I will leave for Da Nang to kind of plan the next steps.

I see the positives of the Philippines, but I am not sure I can cope, reading many things again and again now, just shocks me. But I will try.

Have bought a money belt now.

I will try PH/Vietnam for one year perhaps. After that, if it is really true that all the time in TH I complained on a high level, Elite is still the last option.

Edited by cerox

14 minutes ago, cerox said:

Destiny and others, who have been to PH before, please let me pick your brains as I am preparing for the Philippines:

I read again in the first few pages from Destiny:

Can you please comment on the homelessness/beggar problem outside of Manila/Cebu, so outside of the big cities? Is it realistic for me to think I can comfortable avoid pollution and this beggar problem altogether by focusing on Puerto Princesa, Borocay, smaller towns on Bohol island?

and from ExpatPH:

I am shocked to be honest. I read again and again Filipinos are super-friendly (yes some will scam you so what) and now I read that he lost count of the amount how many times he was verbally threatened??

I do not get it.

It seems like the Philippines city life you take a motorbike or taxi from a mall to your home. You cannot go outside. You have to be scared of children begging and trying to access your pockets - you have to be scared that the moment you will be the declared pedophile?? So what to do? Run away when I see kids? Shout at them which is confrontation and looked down upon too??

Sorry guys, I really make an effort but I have my doubts.

Since I have to leave TH and do not want to buy elite card now, my plan (have very light luggage anyway so its fine) is to give the Philippines a chance. If I cannot cope with it, I will leave for Da Nang to kind of plan the next steps.

I see the positives of the Philippines, but I am not sure I can cope, reading many things again and again now, just shocks me. But I will try.

Have bought a money belt now.

I will try PH/Vietnam for one year perhaps. After that, if it is really true that all the time in TH I complained on a high level, Elite is still the last option.

Hey the only way is to experience it yourself but seems you over dramatize our posts.

go 6 months Danang and Six months Bohol and report back to us.

Yes certain areas have begging kids but it became less and mostly its  in Manila, Cebu and AC.  If you live mixed in with other foreigner area I don’t know what conflict you should get most Filipinos are interested in foreigners.

It's pretty much everywhere, worse near the big cities....They'll circle your car hitting the body panels with some with their hands out stretched to your window, wanting you to roll it down & give money....Their at busy intersections.....

They will also encircle you while walking on the street....Gangs of boys 6-14 y/o....The smaller ones annoying, the bigger ones more menacing.....Street wise - never saw a day of school....

They will also hang around schools to shake down the kids that are going to school....

It's a tough, uncomfortable position = you can't strike little kids....You can yell but they still swarm.....Locals sometimes will notice & shoo them away....

Many times there's adults directing them.....Other times it's a band of kids learning from the older ones in the gang....

• Haha 1

Thank you both of you.

Perhaps you are right and I worry "tu mut". 😀

Just like to be prepared since PH does not seem to be an easy country as TH.

Destiny, if that number from your nickname is your birth year, you are two years younger than me. Still manage to get by on ED visa or gave in to buy Elite? Or already left TH?

I watched some of the Cebu walking videos on youtube, there are never groups of kids bothering the foreigner, perhaps they do not like to be filmed?

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Was in PI last year and the year before.

Never encountered any kids like this, generally beggars were little old ladies, maybe encountered one a week with their hand out. Always had a great time, never any problems, I would walk from the airport to Pasay Victory Line bus station (through the Barrio), get the bus to Olongapo, then on the Jeepney outside the bus station to Barretto.

Two great beaches and twenty plus night clubs in a one kilometer strip.

Switched to Vietnam now, direct flights from CNX at half the price.

I not much of a Subic kinda guy and these Baretto night joints  are kinda depressing since all doing the same moves😃. if i go towards that direction better go out at AC but yes no beach.

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Everyone I encountered in Da Nang spoke English.

Good to know. Last time I was in Da Nang was 4,5 years ago.

But last week when I went to Ho Chi Minh for 7 days, apart from the hotel staff and a few exceptions, most people did not understand any English. This was in District 1.

I will keep everything flexible with monthly hotel rates or so; might jump between Philippines and Vietnam. Everyone seems to have something vastly different to say about the Philippines. I need to see for myself.

5 minutes ago, cerox said:

But last week when I went to Ho Chi Minh for 7 days, apart from the hotel staff and a few exceptions, most people did not understand any English. This was in District 1.

Went to District 1 in April, waitress spoke English, assorted massage girls spoke English, students in September Park spoke English. One lady that approached me also spoke Thai.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cerox said:

Good to know. Last time I was in Da Nang was 4,5 years ago.

I will keep everything flexible with monthly hotel rates or so; might jump between Philippines and Vietnam. Everyone seems to have something vastly different to say about the Philippines. I need to see for myself.

That was my experience to very few people spoke any English. I stayed air bnb and was warned not to take my man bag due to the high amount of snatch and run robbery in Tourist areas. The noise pollution from horn honking and the constant extreme hassles by hawkers turned me off the place