BANGKOK
ExpatPH

Philippines 2019 for new expats

Thank you for your feedback.

I prepared myself already. Also I am not going to any girly bars anyway. More of a daytime person.

I wonder why so many expats with their youtube channels live there or have lived there for so long. It is time to find out and share our experience. Because these expats, most of them are all above 50, they could just deposit the money and get a free Thai visa (1900 THB yearly is free imo).

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dabhand said:

The reality of the security situation in certain parts of the Philippines.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/05/british-national-and-his-wife-kidnapped-in-southern-philippines

Have 2 family members, USMC Master Sergeants ..Both half filipino - USMC will not allow them to visit family in the PI on leave = cited as too dangerous....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Have 2 family members, USMC Master Sergeants ..Both half filipino - USMC will not allow them to visit family in the PI on leave = cited as too dangerous....

I suspect that is area specific?  Or all of PI?  I do know USG does do this at times - I  was prevented travel to Thailand at one time years ago.  

This happened at a known insecure area and involved locals heavily involved in business rather than tourists (most often this is a result of not making local payments but have no way of knowing if that is true in this case).  

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I suspect that is area specific?  Or all of PI?  I do know USG does do this at times - I  was prevented travel to Thailand at one time years ago.  

This happened at a known insecure area and involved locals heavily involved in business rather than tourists (most often this is a result of not making local payments but have no way of knowing if that is true in this case).  

This was for PI - not area specific as far as I know....The family is large & scattered about....

None of it in the known active danger zone.....

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

This was for PI - not area specific as far as I know....The family is large & scattered about....

None of it in the known active danger zone.....

Seems strange as much of the population is/were US Military and there are many retirement military there.  The State Department advisory indicates level 2 (increased caution) for anything but the Mindanao Island region (where this happened and has 3/4 level advisory) and has been considered less safe for decades.

• Like 1

I would definitely heed the State Department Advisory and avoid Mindanao unless you're going to Davao, and if you are going there, dont leave the city limits.

Definitely dont go to Western Mindanao (Zamboanga City, etc); thats where the British guy and his wife were kidnapped from.

I worked in the Philippines 4 years not long ago and when I had to go to Zamboanga City, my company provided me with armed guards.

• Like 1

Only recently found this thread and read most of it. All very interesting and useful. Seems there's a lot of good and bad. The most interesting thing for me is the apparent ease of finding a woman.

I'm in my 50's, and came to Thailand 2 years ago, I'm in good shape but I have totally failed to find a partner here. The level of gold digging I've encountered is astonishing. One sent me her bank details after our first meeting and others have asked me for up to 100k baht per month. I think I've been realistic about the age range, meeting women 40 to 45 ish, but I've given up now.

So Fillipino women sound refreshingly approachable. However I'm not sure I could cope with all the negatives that have been set out here.

But thanks for all the info and I'll take a trip there just to check it out...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, britishjohn said:

So Fillipino women sound refreshingly approachable. However I'm not sure I could cope with all the negatives that have been set out here.

But thanks for all the info and I'll take a trip there just to check it out...

Remember that often negatives are only in the eye of the beholder and just like positives can become exaggerated in the telling.  Finding a compatible companion that you can relate and communicate with can overcome a lot of rooster noise; but for the food issues you may want to stay on the beaten path (cities) where there is better selection of western meals until you have a feel for what you like.  

41 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Finding a compatible companion that you can relate and communicate with can overcome a lot of rooster noise;

I'm well past the stage where I want to talk with 'em.

Trying to think when a woman ever said anything I wanted to hear .........

Although, to be fair, the Filipino girls I associated with could talk about anything a Brit girl could, watched the same movies, and even listened to the same type of music as me. Whereas the Thai girls didn't have a clue.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2019 at 8:45 AM, cerox said:

The "security" at malls "inspects" the upper part of my backpack - usually if it is full after a supermarket etc. they do not check it at all. I do not understand the purpose of this fake security, other than fighting unemployment and giving people jobs.

I pay around 550-600 EUR monthly for a small 25m² (did not measure) unit AirBnB.

Shower has a bucket for manual shower- surely for a reason.

Never had anyone want to look in my bags, the security is for checking locals not foreigners, I'm guessing you're not white.

I paid 800php/night for a condo 10m from the beach, you didn't take enough time choosing an apartment.

My gf used the bucket to wash our clothes, if you'd let a girl move in, she'd have shown you what the bucket was for.

You seem to be paying too much for everything, I can't believe the prices have doubled from when I was there last year, and I was staying at a holiday resort town (Barretto) near Subic.

Edited by BritManToo

On 10/1/2019 at 2:55 PM, cerox said:

I wonder why so many expats with their youtube channels live there or have lived there for so long. It is time to find out and share our experience. Because these expats, most of them are all above 50, they could just deposit the money and get a free Thai visa (1900 THB yearly is free imo).

Some of us don't want to risk sitting $25,000 in a third world countries bank.

If I did, it would probably be in Cambodia where it earned 6% interest.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 12:05 PM, dabhand said:

The reality of the security situation in certain parts of the Philippines.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/05/british-national-and-his-wife-kidnapped-in-southern-philippines

Same in Thailand, same reasons down south is dangerous too, religion of peace, etc.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1