Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

Here in Quebec, Canada, immigrants learn French or face a huge uphill battle gaining employment.

It would not surprise me if Thai immigration added the language test hurdle and it's not out of order. 

People will look back and say "remember how great 2019 was?"   

Edited by stravers
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stravers said:

Here in Quebec, Canada, immigrants learn French or face a huge uphill battle gaining employment.

It would not surprise me if Thai immigration added the language test hurdle and it's not out of order. 

People will look back and say "remember how great 2019 was?"   

If that would happen, how many would qualify?

Less than 10%? Less than 5%?

Gaining employment, I can understand the reason one must learn their language 

Be a tourist, TH prefer we dont speak their language for many reasons.

But TH is TH, when is comes to visa regulations, anything can happen.

Driving a vehicle in Cebu.

Car and motorcycle rental in a limited scale. Tourist and expats dont use them or need them in the city. 7000 Taxi meter and new Grab car taxi available. 

In province most expats buy a moped or motorcycle. Only a few own a car. Moped and motorcycle are cheaper here in PH than TH. Some up to 1000$ less. Check out 'motortrade Philippines' for prices.

On Bohol island next to Cebu, many tourist rent a motorcycle and explore the island. Police here was very friendly to tourist, so one could know ahead about driving culture, and usual spots for checkpoints.

Traffic in Cebu move slowly most of the time 30-60 km/h, no racing motorcycles. New strict laws about use of mobile phone, and lane splitting. Traffic officers on most main roads in out of the city. These officers are strict, no excuse to be a foreigner. Cars are almost never stopped at checkpoints, only motorcycles. We know where checkpoints are, a indication is a huge number of motorcycles parked on the side of the road, with the driver on the mc. They know its a checkpoint just ahead, and wait for it to end. Many dont have a DL or proper registration. Registration of new motorcycle takes more than a year, explains why so many drive illegal with only 'for registration' plate. The law states that brand new motorcycle can only be driven until 7 days after registration. Then one must wait for registration documents. After million of complaints, they came up with a new temporary system and plates, only with digits. This temp plate can take 1-6 months to get. Depends on dealership and their connection to LTO.

Drunk driving are a big problem late night. I had many close calls. Never seen any alcohol test been performed, or speed control, on Cebu island. Only outside city limit can I reach more than 60-70 km/h. Traffic is just to heavy within city, lack of city planning.

Regards

ExpatPH

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your postings on PH.

I will continue to read them.

The only thing I would like to ask if you can.

When you are talking about the cost of things.

I would like to see it in Peso’s.

The reason is that it is easier to convert to my own currency instead from the US dollar and it give me a better picture to work from.

Thank you again.

• Like 1

PH unemployment rate and the future.

Unemployment has since early 2000 seen a remarkable decline that seems to continue.

Building sector obviously have a boom in major cities. In Cebu city, more skyscrapers are piling up month by month.

2-4 BR spacious luxury condos price more than 2 Mill USD (more than 100 mill peso) has been sold. 1 of these are located on top of Ayala center, with direct elevator down to Cebu's #1 supermarket Rustans, and more are available in Cebu.

Private housing estates boom following, also in higher price range 100.000 - 200.000$ (5.200.000 - 10.400.000 Peso)

Although I'm sure it's huge grey numbers about unemployment, the country is moving up and forward.

If only more quality hospitals was built and run under foreign management, PH would attract expats who require top medical care.

Regards

ExpatPH

Source

https://tradingeconomics.com/philippines/unemployment-rate

philippines-unemployment-rate@3x.png

20190406_173626-1008x756.jpg

20190406_173910-1008x756.jpg

Edited by ExpatPH
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Deerculler said:

Thank you very much for your postings on PH.

I will continue to read them.

The only thing I would like to ask if you can.

When you are talking about the cost of things.

I would like to see it in Peso’s.

The reason is that it is easier to convert to my own currency instead from the US dollar and it give me a better picture to work from.

Thank you again.

Will do. What items objects do you have in mind?  

Thank you.

Edited by ExpatPH

13 minutes ago, Letseng said:

But not all pinays are like this.

Not all Thai females are out to fleece you either.

Absolutely agree on this.

However we all know that many many foreigners in TH built house in the past, bought brand new car, and was kicked out.

It happen in all countries worldwide, here too in a far less numbers. Earlier in this topic, many painted TH as much better country, without consideration for that TH has a GDP per capita more than twice of the PH. Very unfair comparison.

So please excuse me when I compare the few things that's actually better or cheaper here in PH.

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

One of newest hospitals in area, ACE Dumaguete Doctors Hospital has just opened. 

Image result for ace dumaguete doctors hospital

Chong Hua Mandaue (Cebu) also a new facility

image.jpeg.9c05a4d59b4a73909be70a15237f26bc.jpeg

Can you afford the treatment?

Hospitals are often nice and new but doctors can't diagnose a hookworm infestation in a kid.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Can you afford the treatment?

Hospitals are often nice and new but doctors can't diagnose a hookworm infestation in a kid.

Yes, doctors and diagnose are not up to western standard. I visited chemotherapy room, and I was instantly 'back to the 1970s'. For many the lack of western medicine is what frustrates us the most. The huge population and lack of hospitals are very obvious. Bare minimum of staff in hospitals incl doctors, are below par.

Expect 15000 - 25000 peso (288-480$) per 24 hrs admitted to hospital for more serious condition.

Minor conditions with treatment 2000-5000 peso. (38-96$).

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 2:04 PM, ExpatPH said:

Visa agents can do all your extensions for you, they charge you 25-30$ for this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression Duterte had outlawed visa agents.

Somethings and or services are terribly more expensive in Phills then Thailand.

Aircon bill and internet bill condo rents and car rental for example.

as i said most expats are logged into Thailand with houses and local partners i doubt they will relocate because a beer can is slightly cheaper in Phills. 

• Like 1