Philippines 2019 for new expats

ExpatPH

3 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Somethings and or services are terribly more expensive in Phills then Thailand.

Aircon bill and internet bill condo rents and car rental for example.

as i said most expats are logged into Thailand with houses and local partners i doubt they will relocate because a beer can is slightly cheaper in Phills. 

As mentioned before, electric is around 60% more here, 13 peso per unit.

Take a 2nd look at my images, much more than alcohol only. 

I had many images of fruit, seafood, pork, beef, steak, shampoo, cheese and deli.

Many other expats are in a relationship, not married, not built a house. Don't these and single expat as well have the right (and need) for info?

People jump to conclusions so fast, rather than sit back and see what comes next.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Some TV prices, for those few who consider PH as alternative location.

Couple of thoughts:

1. It looks like the peso to baht exchange rate means that if I'm doing this right, you can take every one of Expat's PH shopping photo prices, and multiply it times about 0.6127 to get the Thai baht price.

2. Don't think it's been mentioned earlier, but I gather PH electricity runs on the 220V, 60Hz standard, so presumably Thailand purchased electrical appliances/devices would at least be compatible there, depending on the plug/outlet compatibility.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Couple of thoughts:

1. It looks like the peso to baht exchange rate means that if I'm doing this right, you can take every one of Expat's PH shopping photo prices, and multiply it times about 0.6127 to get the Thai baht price.

2. Don't think it's been mentioned earlier, but I gather PH electricity runs on the 220V, 60Hz standard, so presumably Thailand purchased electrical appliances/devices would at least be compatible there, depending on the plug/outlet compatibility.

1. Yes, you are right. I calculated twice. First your direct way to Thb 0,6127.

Then PHP via US$ to THB and the difference was just a few peso.

Your way work and is correct.

2. 220V, 60Hz standard is correct. Thai cables fit perfectly. All photos show cables and original mobile phone charging cable, all bought in Thailand and all work. No problem.

20190408_190854-1209x1612.jpg

20190408_191024-1209x1612.jpg

20190408_191101-1209x1612.jpg

20190408_191036-1209x1612.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

If you guys still read after 14 pages, you deserved a bonus. Supermarket prices. Zoom in.

Regards

ExpatPH

20190408_133004-1008x756.jpg

20190408_132925-1008x756.jpg

20190408_132718-756x1008.jpg

20190408_132603-756x1008.jpg

20190408_132549-756x1008.jpg

20190408_132535-756x1008.jpg

20190408_132514-756x1008.jpg

20190408_132441-756x1008.jpg

20190408_132434-756x1008.jpg

Seems quite expensive compared to Myanmar prices for beers. Less than 30 pesos equivalent for a very nice local lager.

Edited by emptypockets

6 minutes ago, mike787 said:

After reading over the years, especially more recently of foreigners providing detailed evidence, ie, pictures of Visa issues, and facts detailing there difficult experiences of renewing/extending various visas from marriage, retirement to everything else.  I can only conclude, you are part of the LUCKY few that has had it so good/easy.  Many have not been as fortunate, though I wish your experience was the norm for many.  

One more conclusion I can draw from your comment.  Everyone else is either lying for unknown reasons, or if all submissions are truly honest about the visa challenges, then it poorly reflects on Thai immigration suggesting how consistently inconsistent their system is.  And what the reason is for that, I do not know.

Perhaps Somehow we are a burden to them? So they come up with the craziest rules just because they want us to leave but they do not like telling us straight forward in the face to f off...

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Perhaps Somehow we are a burden to them? So they come up with always changing more complicated rules just because they want us to leave but they do not like telling us straight forward in the face to f off...

54 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

In phills I usually stay besides on or top of a mall. In phills malls u do everything gym movie groceries dinner dating and malls have lot of shows music entertainment  etc  its just very practical. But in Thailand i stay near malls too but if in Thailand u can live  perfectly happy in Isarn then u don’t need near a mall either in Phills.

I rather walk 5 km inside a big mall then in the hot dirty streets of manila to be frank.

No problem at all.  To me malls are for shopping.  In and out as fast as possible. Obviously we are all different people with different outlooks, needs and desires in life. 

• Like 1

For others with better comprehention of my thread, read again my opening post.

Read also that I wrote at least twice that PH is no comparison to TH, but more comparable to Cambodia regaring GDP unemployment, salary etc

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mike787 said:

After reading over the years, especially more recently of foreigners providing detailed evidence, ie, pictures of Visa issues, and facts detailing there difficult experiences of renewing/extending various visas from marriage, retirement to everything else.  I can only conclude, you are part of the LUCKY few that has had it so good/easy.  Many have not been as fortunate, though I wish your experience was the norm for many.  

One more conclusion I can draw from your comment.  Everyone else is either lying for unknown reasons, or if all submissions are truly honest about the visa challenges, then it poorly reflects on Thai immigration suggesting how consistently inconsistent their system is.  And what the reason is for that, I do not know.

Bit of an unfair conclusion there. .  You won't hear many positive reports about visas etc only bad ones.  

That is just human nature.

What people need to understand is that some people actually planned for their retirement.  They didn't hit pension age with very little assets and decided 'Righto I'm off the Thailand.... They really need me there' and are now find themselves in a bad predicament. 

I know there are people who have spent a lot of money, perhaps most of their money on assets in Thailand and only have a government pension to support them who are struggling, particularly with the current exchange rates. I don't have an answer for them,  but I don't think up and leaving might be the best choice. Many built houses and have families.  I think I would move heaven and earth to keep the family together somehow.

I read with great sadness how some posters decide that would simply leave the wife and kids behind. 

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

You forgot to mention that Pinoys are also very wanted overseas in health care, cruise industry, ships, and more.

Pinoys are more dedicated to their job overseas, they dont quit in a whim for whatever same caucasians tend to do. They are more caring and human than caucasians nurses in hospitals, and retirement homes for the elderly, whos patient says I prefer the pinay nurse. And yes, mostly they have same salary as caucasians, so no explotation in these occupations.

They are sought after on ships all over the world.

Doesn't hurt to tell the complete story.

You really need to research more, and see both side of the coin.

They might be in demand too, because they work harder, longer, and with more humanity.

Errrr...... That was exactly my point.  Do try to pay more attention. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mike787 said:

In my opinion: A woman that has not asked for money (or is virtually financially free) is a Unicorn.  I don't doubt you are one of the lucky ones who has a wonderful relationship that has not cost you more than $125/mth US, chocolate, and occasional clothes (gifts).  However, I am surprised why you haven't married her, because the "one" you got is the kind of girl many would be honored to speak of.  

Women 'like that' are in all countries, just take a lot of searching and even more good luck to find her. They are in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and all over the world.

Why I havent married her?

I mention a few times, I have a terminal condition and given 1 year to live, or less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think its time to quote post #1 yet again.

'With the never ending visa changes in Thailand, I hope this will be helpful now for some present stressed TH expats and others.

*** I will stress this early on: you will ONLY be happy in PH if you live happily, with less frills and comfort and not choosy about food, or pay 10-15$ for a western meal in a mall. You must be patient, and get used to that manyitems are not available here. Will talk more about that later on. End quote.

I have said a few times already, PH has many flaws, same most countries have.

I repeated the lack of health care, numerous times.

This thread is NOT for those who are married, or have house, or need high quality of life.

This thread is for those who know already that their upcoming reneval of stay might be, or will be denied, due to lack of, or dont want to deposit 800.000 Thb in local bank.

This thread is NOT for those who must have all similar to Thailand.

I can tell you right away, you will not find it. 

I assume that IF you have already stayed longer time in Cambodia , and accepted how it was there, you will most likely also be ok in PH.

Thailand is more than twice as rich as PH, if not much more, according to GDP per capita and more.

Thailand are unique and offer western quality and frills, that most of us are used to back home.

Philippines and Cambodia doesn't offer western quality same Thailand.

I hope this is the last time I have to repeat this, so I instead can use my time to make posts of useful content and with images.

Regards

ExpatPH

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Women 'like that' are in all countries, just take a lot of searching and even more good luck to find her. They are in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and all over the world.

Why I havent married her?

I mention a few times, I have a terminal condition and given 1 year to live, or less.

That's no reason not to marry her. 

• Like 2

On 4/4/2019 at 4:50 PM, ExpatPH said:

Grab taxi or my motorcycle.

Advanced planning.

Avoid rush hours.

Postpone anything when it rains. City goes to standstill (shutdown)  

when in rains.

Not as easy as TH.

What a PITA . I walk out in BKK lower suk and Im surrounded by anything I want . Not as easy is an understatement and then you need to deal with the scum taxi drivers  and ride your way through pouring rain or do you stay in doors for a week? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Do as you wish.  My last visit was in 1976 when I was much younger and had a great time. I'll probably visit again in the next year or so. 

I must have missed the bit about the focus was on those that had been denied their extension.  A little late for them don't you think?.They  have already left Thailand. 

I'm not having a go at you personally but I can see some people being mislead into thinking that the Philippines is the answer to all their problems. As was Thailand previously.  They were kidding themselves then and you are kidding them now. 

Feel free to ignore me,  stick out the bottom lip and pout if you wish,  no big deal. 

You sure have mentioned some negatives,  but there are some more you haven't mentioned. 

My brother lives there.  Previously based in HK. Lived the good life,  fast cars, yachts, boats etc.  After moving there with his Philippino wife he wanted to buy a nice runabout  maybe a 22 footer.  Wife said no,  you will be kidnapped.  The next option was a semi inflatable 16-18 footer on a trailer.  No go as well as he would have to get an articulated truck licensed to haul it around. 

Your thread is based on people surviving.  Many in retirement want to live and enjoy life. 

Sorry if this has upset you. 

You don't mention the number of foreign businessmen murdered in PI or the war on drugs.  

Not all is rosy in the Philippines. 

Keyword: Subliminal. 

Desperate people will focus on the good points of your posts and gloss over the negative points.  It's the nature of the human animal. 

Yes correct there are problems one is that your more of a target there simply because there are less foreigners there in comparison with Thailand ..  i think in cities its more safe than in Province and there have been several murders killings of foreigners usually with guns and in nearly all cases were the attackers never found or prosecuted.. Police seems not have any budget to investigate a murder or its not an priority.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Do as you wish.  My last visit was in 1976 when I was much younger and had a great time. I'll probably visit again in the next year or so. 

I must have missed the bit about the focus was on those that had been denied their extension.  A little late for them don't you think?.They  have already left Thailand. 

I'm not having a go at you personally but I can see some people being mislead into thinking that the Philippines is the answer to all their problems. As was Thailand previously.  They were kidding themselves then and you are kidding them now. 

Feel free to ignore me,  stick out the bottom lip and pout if you wish,  no big deal. 

You sure have mentioned some negatives,  but there are some more you haven't mentioned. 

My brother lives there.  Previously based in HK. Lived the good life,  fast cars, yachts, boats etc.  After moving there with his Philippino wife he wanted to buy a nice runabout  maybe a 22 footer.  Wife said no,  you will be kidnapped.  The next option was a semi inflatable 16-18 footer on a trailer.  No go as well as he would have to get an articulated truck licensed to haul it around. 

Your thread is based on people surviving.  Many in retirement want to live and enjoy life. 

Sorry if this has upset you. 

You don't mention the number of foreign businessmen murdered in PI or the war on drugs.  

Not all is rosy in the Philippines. 

I see both sides here.  

As I was told during my divorce:  There's her side...my side...and somewhere in the middle is the truth.  

I don't have a dog in this fight; choosing to be neutral/objective. Therefore, I really like both Thailand and Philippines for different reasons.  Furthermore, BOTH of you have submitted very helpful perspectives.  

As for Thailands future pertaining to immigration:  History to date has demonstrated significant restrictions that have made Thailand no longer the Elysium of safe and easy harbor. It is still a great place, but it is changing.

• Like 2