Marriage and visa requirements

My question is in regards to financial and marriage requirements to stay in Thailand without hassle

I lived in Bangkok for about 7 years until a few years ago when I decided to move to Australia for work to top up my retirement savings a bit better

I've been with my  partner for a bit over eight years, and last Christmas we had a village wedding.

My retirement plan is to retire to Thailand in a few years, after we buy some land and build a house on it in Hua Hin.

Our plan is to legally marry at some time, but am wondering if there is any added benefit (or detriment) to being married in Thailand versus being married in the US or Australia... 

Am I correct in understanding that the financial difference between being married to a Thai and not is having 400kTHB in the bank at renewal time vs 800kTHB in the bank at renewal time?

Is there also a minimum income amount difference between being married or not?

Are there any other benefits or obstacles created by marrying in Thailand vs outside, or is it the same to the Thai government no matter where we marry?

Is it possible to get something along the lines of permanent residence, so there is no more yearly immigration hassle?

Thanks for your help!

7 minutes ago, MeHere said:

permanent residence

Possible if you work..and you can work with a marriage extension but not with a retirement extension

look here and talk to this guy before building

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, MeHere said:

Our plan is to legally marry at some time, but am wondering if there is any added benefit (or detriment) to being married in Thailand versus being married in the US or Australia... 

If you get married outside of Thailand you will have to go through the process of registering your foreign marriage at an Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that immigration requires if you want to apply for an extension based upon marriage.

That means having your marriage certificate legalized and having it translated to Thai.

22 minutes ago, MeHere said:

Is there also a minimum income amount difference between being married or not?

For an extension of stay based upon marriage the income requirement is 40k baht verses 65k baht for retirement.

27 minutes ago, MeHere said:

Is it possible to get something along the lines of permanent residence, so there is no more yearly immigration hassle?

In order to get permanent residency you have to be working with a work permit and paying taxes for at least 3 years.

• Thanks 1