Police prepare as Future Forward boss set to face sedition charges

webfact

19 hours ago, bowerboy said:

The world is not watching. Thailand is a third world back water famed for its thriving sex industry and numerous transsexuals. 

Nobody cares. Really.

Not trying to be facetious or annoy you...it’s simply a fact. 

Actually to be fair this perfectly sums up what most people think about Thailand

21 hours ago, bannork said:

i think you have to be actually imprisoned before being banned as an MP. This is only the first step. There are three courts before he could actually be sent down. That should take years.

I fear I could be wrong here.  I'm not sure if he would face a military court, a very different prospect.

21 hours ago, bannork said:

i think you have to be actually imprisoned before being banned as an MP.

Yes.

2017 Constitution, CHAPTER VIII, Council of Ministers, Section 160

A Minister shall:

• (7) not be a person sentenced by a judgement to imprisonment, irrespective of the finality of the case or a suspension of the punishment, except for an offend committed through negligence, a petty offend or a defamation offense.

However,

CHAPTER XII, Constitutional Organizations, Part 2, The Election Commission, Section 224

The Election Commission shall have the duties and powers as follows:

• (4) to temporarily suspend the right to stand for election of a candidate for an election selection under (1) for a period of not more than one year where there is evidence to reasonably believe that such person has committed or has connived at the act committed by other persons which is dishonest or which causes the election or selection to not proceed in an honest or just manner. 

It is a matter of record that the EC reviewed and approved Thanathorn Jungrungruengkit and his party as qualified for the election!

As evidence allegedly existed since 2015 to implicate Thanathorn's potential criminality, it would seem that the EC would have competently done its duty to determine whether Thanathorn was eligible to lead his party. It stands to reason, therefore, that the EC chose not to suspend Thanathorn as a candidate for his party as the EC had the ability to access such alleged evidence as part of its candidate qualification review. The EC could have otherwise suspended Thanathorn as a candidate prior to the election to review applicability of the alleged evidence.

Any dissatisfaction with Thanathorn as now leader of his party because of alleged criminality should be directed towards the EC that apparently acted incompetently with regard to its review and not towards Thanathorn who acted in good faith for his application as leader of his party. If the EC was not properly and timely informed of such alleged evidence, blame then lies with the Police and not Thanathorn.

The EC should rule as the responsible Constitutional Organization (and not any other independent body) that Thanathorn was qualified in spite of any alleged evidence of criminality. The alternative for the EC is to redo the election in those constituencies where Thanathorn and his party had candidates! Not a real option.

“I can confirm that Thanathorn’s warrant is not politically motivated as the alleged incident happened before the election. The case was delayed because of the annual transfer of chief investigators,” Srivara said.

Wow, does the deputy national police chief think even 1 person will see that as a logical statement? If it wasn't sad (and dangerous) it would be laughable.

But what else can one expect from anybody in the RTP?

22 hours ago, ocddave said:

If I were to write up a recipe for Civil War, then the actions of Prayut, the PPP Party, the Army chief, and Big Joke would be the key ingredients. Who in their right mind would even proceed like they are?! You have to wonder if its deliberate, or is it in their DNA to be this obtuse.

Civil war will never happen. Thais are too lazy for that.

Maybe only a “Som Tam” ban could light a spark. 

The last 5 years have shown that the junta can get away with anything. The people en masse have been well and truly terrorised and will not mount MASS resistance ....

I think brave Thanathorn -  and he IS brave and a beacon of hope and sanity - will be lucky if even a thousand protesters show up at the police station to support him.

Sad, sad situation of Thailand in the year 2019 (in real, politico-social terms for Thailand - mired in the heart of the Middle Ages).

Just now, Eligius said:

The last 5 years have shown that the junta can get away with anything. The people en masse have been well and truly terrorised and will not mount MASS resistance ....

I think braveThanathorn -  and he IS brave - will be lucky if even a thousand protesters show up at the police station to support him.

Sad, sad situation of Thailand in the year 2019 (in real, politico-social terms for Thailand - mired in the heart of the Middle Ages).

Don't forget over 6 million voted for his party. The election was the first time in 8 years the people could express their views. Previously the junta dismissed any opposition as 'the usual suspects, just a few incorrigible rebels' and the few brave individuals who stood up to the dictators were slapped with charges that carried prison sentences.

You can't blame ordinary people for feeling cowed. A prison sentence would mean they could not support their family in a country with no social security as in the West.

But the election let them express their voice and they did.

Wait and see.

1 hour ago, bannork said:

You can't blame ordinary people for feeling cowed. A prison sentence would mean they could not support their family in a country with no social security as in the West.

But the election let them express their voice and they did.

Wait and see.

We have been 'waiting and seeing' for the past 5 years.

First I was repeatedly told by some posters here: 'Wait and see - after the late Great King's funeral - things will really start to move.' Nothing happened.

Every single year we have been told, 'Wait and see'. 

Every single year (almost every single month) there was a new scandal. We were told by optimistic posters: 'Just wait and see now!' Nothing happened.

Then came the great Watch outrage ..... 'Wait and see NOW'. Nothing happened.

Then came the 'election' (which many of us have said for YEARS would be as it is proving to be) and all the knowledge of 'irregularities'. Ah - 'wait and see RIGHT NOW'. Nothing has happened.

And now Thanathorn is going to be hauled up before the beak and possibly charged. And still we are told, 'Oh, just you wait and see.'

Well, we are all still waiting - and all still seeing.

Does there not come a point where one realises it is completely hopeless (given the amply demonstrated Thai character en masse)?

5 minutes ago, Eligius said:

As I said in my earlier post - the Thais have been well and truly terrorised since then. 

As you yourself say, Bannork, one cannot wholly blame them - in view of what their 'masters' are prepared to do to them.

But if things continue as they are, the situation will remain hopeless.

And yet - against all rationality and logic - I still have a glimmer of hope. I somehow (foolishly, perhaps) believe that one day in years to come, somehow, Thanathorn will emerge as a P.M. whom the Thai people can be proud of ...

Things rarely continue as they are for a long time, especially in an evolving society such as Thailand.

14 minutes ago, Eligius said:

As I said in my earlier post - the Thais have been well and truly terrorised since then. 

As you yourself say, Bannork, one cannot wholly blame them - in view of what their 'masters' are prepared to do to them.

And yet - against all rationality and logic - I still have a glimmer of hope. I somehow (foolishly, perhaps) believe that one day in years to come, somehow, Thanathorn will emerge as a P.M. whom the Thai people can be proud of ...

Thanatorn's growth in support in such a short space of time is astounding. And not one of my junior high school students is happy at all with the junta and their shenanigans. They are P***ed, in fact. If he can survive these allegations, I just see his support growing among younger voters. I hope they do manage to form a coalition and crush any hope of Prayut's ambitions to be PM. A win for the junta will only legitimise the coup.  

On 4/4/2019 at 5:45 PM, observer90210 said:

The boys in uniforms who are behind all the social unrest and doubts,  do not realise that on the short term they will scare away tourists, expats or foreign investors.....and mainly also scare away their good money !!

What they fail to realize is they have had a nibble of democracy here in the past 

And yet - against all rationality and logic - I still have a glimmer of hope. I somehow (foolishly, perhaps) believe that one day in years to come, somehow, Thanathorn will emerge as Prime Minister - a Prime Minister whom the Thai people can be proud of ...

I, also, dream of unrealistic and beautiful things. Would be proud to welcome the new Thailand under a FFP.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Democracy was on life support in Thailand. It fought for its life, but alas it never had a chance. Without the rule of law and freedom of the press, democracy has no chance. The whole world is heading back to the natural state of humanity, feudalism, dictatorship and unending wars.

Democracy was on life support in Thailand. It fought for its life, but alas it never had a chance. Without the rule of law and freedom of the press, democracy has no chance. The whole world is heading back to the natural state of humanity, feudalism, dictatorship and unending wars.

Is the natural state so bad? If no corruption, a strongman leader can be better than a feckless democracy. It all depends on the structure and the oversight. In Thailand, the wolves guard the henhouse. Same with most “democracies” which hide the corruption behind veils of civility.

18 minutes ago, FarangDoingHisThing69 said:

Is the natural state so bad? If no corruption, a strongman leader can be better than a feckless democracy. It all depends on the structure and the oversight. In Thailand, the wolves guard the henhouse. Same with most “democracies” which hide the corruption behind veils of civility.

Consider the potential pool of candidates for strongman leader in this country. Are you still optimistic?

Consider the potential pool of candidates for strongman leader in this country. Are you still optimistic?

I was not speaking of any specific leadership. Only an optimal “strongman” which is transparent in their actions and accountability. not the no-accountability joke that is Thai governance.

I will preface this by saying I am a stalwart monarchist. A monarch has a legacy to secure. A rotisserie of leadership has no accountability long term, as seen in mature democracies.

Archived