Paying Thai girlfriend a "salary"

Had a scotsman working with me once. his gf was due to give birth. we told him he could request the midwife throw a few stitches in after the event, just to make her 'tight' again...two days before her due date I had to fess-up and tell him not ask the midwife to do this. he was really up for it though.
Ah yes the old 'wizards sleeve'.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 minutes ago, xylophone said:

You might be interested in this little poem I wrote after being here a few years..............

Thai Bargirl Poem

The poor, the ugly, lame and insane in Patong can all get laid,

It’s not about what or who you are, but how much you paid.

The farangs go home and send monthly cash,

So their new-found girlfriends will not mix with the trash.

But the girls still work at their favourite bar,

Enticing new farangs who come from afar,

With offers of sex and the night full of fun,

While her other farangs think that they are the one.

What the farang doesn’t know or understand,

And the Thai girl will never show her hand,

Is that she needs to earn as much cash as she can,

And she can never get enough from only one man.

So the cycle goes on and farangs come and go,

Each with a broken heart because they just didn’t know,

That the girls at the bars are for temporary rent,

Not for the long-term, nor heaven sent.

And should you decide your girl is so nice

That you should not heed this advice

In the future I will hope

That you are not found with your head in rope

For sure give a bar girl burl

For she is bound to make your toes curl

But remember it's just for one hour

And forget her, after the second shower

????

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, don't do it, plenty of Salary guides for Thailand online, if they don't have an occupation listed, give it a miss! Or your probably setting yourself up for short term happiness, followed by long term misery...Plough the 50000baht into investments instead, to reach your long term objectives, if you can't find someone already in stable employment (and even then perhaps). 

No point in a long term lease on a sports bike, and then find everyone is riding around on it, when your not there. Short term rental is more appropriate.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/4/2019 at 12:48 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

You should pay her at least 50k per month and additionally all the daily expenses like food, make-up, new clothes, disco, etc.

If you are not willing to pay the bare minimum then you are obviously not the guy for Thailand.

Ha, ha, thanks for the advice pal

On 4/4/2019 at 1:39 PM, AlexRich said:

Another long winded “newbie” post. If I were being a cynic I’d suggest that it was “made up” to generate traffic?

Although this does happen, my post is actually genuine. I made it long winded in the hope of generating some traffic alright as I wanted to hear what people on here thoughts were on this.

Just logged back in, surprised and happy to see so many responses. 

Had a quick scan through them and have to say thanks for the effort, info and humor.

I will be home in a few hours and respond where required and re-post to clarify my current position.

Thank again

• Like 1

The golden Rule for becoming an expat:

it takes 2 days to say "I am gone"

it takes 7 years to say "I am here" 

go slow and check out first...

I know my wife since 2005 and married her 2012. She does all the money things as a real wife is supposed to.

The monthly Bank check show me that she lives in average on 18.000 Baht (off cause not including the House rent, electric bills, water and TV) per month and that includes here and there a little donation to my/her Nephews and Nieces when they come and visit us. 

So I would say 48000 Baht pocket money is pretty much overkill.. 

On 4/4/2019 at 6:29 PM, baansgr said:

Everyone pays their Mrs a salary here, even those that swear blind they dont as they are Bangkok Chinese. Its the way of Thailand, hence why Im single. 50k is way too steep

you gotta negotiate !   its the way of thailand 

11 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Men the world over pay for female company.  How much they pay and for what type of company varies widely.

I pay for them to leave .   (very old line, and maybe bm2 already used it)

20 hours ago, jmd8800 said:

The Thai girlfriend you describe is not the normally accepted description of a girlfriend.

Most Thai girlfriends are not like western girlfriends. Normal Thai girls don't want to go out with farangs because people will think they are whores.

Most normal Thai girls want to have Thai boy friends. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Leaver said:

And should you decide your girl is so nice

That you should not heed this advice

In the future I will hope

That you are not found with your head in rope

For sure give a bar girl burl

For she is bound to make your toes curl

But remember it's just for one hour

And forget her, after the second shower

????

What's all this "one hour" malarkey? My bar girl GF stayed with me for as long as I wanted, even if it was a month at a beach.

I had the same one for 8 years every time I visited LOS, and it only ended when she found some guy to marry her.

NB, I did not send her money when I wasn't in LOS.

More fool me when I got married, as I could have had two at a time for the amount I spent on the unfortunate choice of wife and still be more wealthy than I am.

• Sad 1

On 4/4/2019 at 9:50 PM, White Christmas13 said:

is it? my marriage cost me just a few dollars I had been married for 

33 years and the divorce cost me only a bus fare to the family court

and a few dollars

That divorce either happened in Thailand, or you were stony broke anyway if it happened in any Western country.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2019 at 10:19 PM, marcusarelus said:

Maybe you should know me before going off on me.  Wife told me she could not have children.  Ha ha ha joke on me.  Two of the kids were not mine but I paid child support.  Ha ha joke on me.  I was unhappy when she kicked me in the crotch on the way back from the church and said straighten up kiddo now you are married (we had an open relationship which involved a couple of her girlfriends and wild drunken parties at clothing optional resorts all over the country).  She made three times as much as I did as soon as we got a divorce.  Ha ha ha joke on me.  She married her millionaire boyfriend shortly after our divorce and he came with 6 cars and 3 homes all over the world.  But she collected child support every month every penny.  Why should I be bitter?  But I had it easy compared to a couple of Aussie mates of mine. 

How long ago did you give up that lifestyle?

Didn't you post that you're now 80?

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What's all this "one hour" malarkey? My bar girl GF stayed with me for as long as I wanted, even if it was a month at a beach.

I had the same one for 8 years every time I visited LOS, and it only ended when she found some guy to marry her.

NB, I did not send her money when I wasn't in LOS.

More fool me when I got married, as I could have had two at a time for the amount I spent on the unfortunate choice of wife and still be more wealthy than I am.

You had the same bar girl for 8 years, every time you came to Thailand?  She mustn't be very attractive, or a decent shag. 

How many times did she change or arrival and departure dates, to fit in with her other clients?  ????

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Most Thai women expect financial support from a farang, because we are insanely wealthy by their standards. Young and beautiful Thai women expect more, older women ( 30 - 50 ) usually expect less.

At the OP's age, unless he is butt-ugly, he should not be providing more than 5,000 baht a month to an established GF. And definitely no money to the family. If he gets those kind of demands, walk away.

I've provided a lot of support to my Thai GF; however, I am old and decidedly unhandsome. I can honestly say, in terms of what she has given me back, she has been worth every baht I have given her.

The biggest mistake in Thailand is to move all one's financial assets here. Keep 80% in your home country, and all will be well. It's not a salary, it's support. Find a good woman here, and she will think the sun shines out of your ##se.  There are plenty of them around, despite the horror stories.

Why should he pay her 5000 baht a month, when she can go and get a legitimate job, and they can lead a normal life, unless, of course, she has no intention of leaving "the game."

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Why should he pay her 5000 baht a month, when she can go and get a legitimate job, and they can lead a normal life, unless, of course, she has no intention of leaving "the game."

Legitimate jobs in Thailand do not pay well. The average wage in my GF's village is 2500- 3000 baht/month. Her father gets a monthly government pension of 800 baht. Whoopee.

You may be right w.r.to the OP, given his age and the age of a prospective GF. It would be completely unreasonable for me to expect my GF to contribute on an equal financial footing to our relationship, given the amount of care I get.