What does an old guy need to move back to America

marcusarelus

I don't drive so no car.  I'm almost 80.  Limits my choice of locals. 

My driver's license expired years ago will a passport open a bank account? 

Need a bank account for Social security. 

Don't want to buy a house at my age.  I'll rent.  What kind of reference will I give after 10 years in Thailand? 

No American credit cards.  How do I get one of those? 

Health care is medicare and VA.  Can I pick any VA hospital I want and move there? 

No credit, no reference.  How do I get a phone and electricity and cable? 

Don't imagine I'd have any old debt as the statue of limitations on credit card debt is 7 years. 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

My driver's license expired years ago will a passport open a bank account? 

Banks are really weird on not having a physical address now.  I THINK you can open a savings account right now on line at Capital One. Do you have a friend who will let you use their address? No drivers license number needed. I opened one from Thailand that way as my drivers license is expired.  

https://www.capitalone.com/bank/savings-accounts/

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

How do I get a phone

that is easy, prepaid pay as you go cellphone. they mail you the phone or you pick it up and you can pay cash in advance. 

https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

and electricity and cable

there is something called "lifeline" service with electric companies that makes sure seniors have power. not sure about cable. 

11 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Don't want to buy a house at my age.

do you have the cash to pay 100%? if so owning your own home will solve some of your credit problems as the banks will throw credit card applications at you.   

15 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Health care is medicare and VA.  Can I pick any VA hospital I want and move there?  

i am not a expert on this but my dad retired USAF moved from Los Angeles to Albuquerque and use VA at both. 

27 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No American credit cards.  How do I get one of those

there are prepaid credit card also.

https://usa.visa.com/pay-with-visa/cards/prepaid-cards/all-purpose-reloadable.html

30 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Don't imagine I'd have any old debt as the statue of limitations on credit card debt is 7 years. 

interesting to see your credit rating. maybe not have any negatives will get your power and cable turned on.

another thing is to get all your ID paperwork together. Passport obviously. Birth certificate is very important. Social Security Card. Retired Military ID. I would also have expired passports, expired ID cards or drivers licenses, if any.  

It might depend on your state, but you need to find your credit scores. There is one or two that do it for free, although it is not the actual scores, they are estimates i think.... creditkarma or something. You can do it all online. 

Sometimes the apartment managers will be more upfront... "you need at least a 600 score". Because every time you apply to an apartment you have to pay for a credit check, and it costs like 20 bucks. Do not get me started on that stuff. 

That is the main thing i would worry about, your credit score. I have returned home after about five years once btw. Everything eles is fairly straightforward except for those credit scores. 

This is one of the reasons I always advise U.S. expats to NOT cut their ties with the home country, or let them lapse, even after living many years in TH.

On the banking front, some banks will allow you to open a new account just with a U.S. passport and without a state DL, but they seem to be more the exception than the rule these days. Once you move back, even if you don't get a DL, you can always get a state ID card that will serve the same purpose (except for driving).

One specific credit union that I know is friendly to expats and those living abroad is State Department Federal Credit Union, which deals in both bank accounts and credit cards. They'll actually open new accounts for expats using their foreign address as opposed to a U.S. address.

The renting question is an interesting one. For those who have lived in the U.S. before and have a renters history even if years back, I don't know how long the renter credit check systems go back in terms of finding evidence of good tenancy.

I have both a past ownership and renters history in the U.S.  But if I ever decide to go back, I dunno whether any of that will still mean anything if/when I go to try to rent a new place after many years away.

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This is one of the reasons I always advise U.S. expats to NOT cut their ties with the home country, or let them lapse, even after living many years in TH.

On the banking front, some banks will allow you to open a new account just with a U.S. passport and without a state DL, but they seem to be more the exception than the rule these days. Once you move back, even if you don't get a DL, you can always get a state ID card that will serve the same purpose (except for driving).

One specific credit union that I know is friendly to expats and those living abroad is State Department Federal Credit Union, which deals in both bank accounts and credit cards. They'll actually open new accounts for expats using their foreign address as opposed to a U.S. address.

The renting question is an interesting one. For those who have lived in the U.S. before and have a renters history even if years back, I don't know how long the renter credit check systems go back in terms of finding evidence of good tenancy.

I have both a past ownership and renters history in the U.S.  But if I ever decide to go back, I dunno whether any of that will still mean anything if/when I go to try to rent a new place after many years away.

I'm with you on the lunacy of cutting all ties to home country. 

Every expat should keep a drivers license and a bank account at the very least, and at best a home, which is the ultimate bolt hole

These days trying to reestablish credit is taking you back to being a teenager, where when you wanted to rent your first apartment Mom & Dad had to co-sign for you.

The best way to rent something in this case is a private rental, craigslist or there are in every city facebook buy/sell pages which are full of private rentals.

Trying to go to a commercial apartment block, and being able to pass the credit check is very unlikely

Credit Unions are the best option for bank accounts and at least some limited credit card options

Try to open an account with SDFCU while you're still in Thailand. You can open with a passport but they will do a hard credit check. You may or may not get approved but you can try. Then with that you can have your S.S. check paid directly into that account. Then when you repatriate you can change the address. That's a start. 

Not sure about your budget but decent housing in decent areas where you don't need a car generally carries a high premium in the U.S.

There is Uber though. You need to do research on destinations. You might want to look at the old thread I had on affordable U.S. places that don't suck. There are links there about transport.

On housing you might be able to negotiate with a private landlord by paying a year's rent in advance. Forget about regular apartment buildings. 

How about a roommate situation? Many elders own their homes and rent to other elders for companionship and to share expenses. Then the utilities will be in their name. 

I'd have similar issues if I repatriated (but still have a credit history and bank accounts) so I can relate.

If you establish a bank account, you may be able to get a credit card through them.  Citi Bank, Bank of America, etc.

You should be able to get a state ID card (depending on state) on the basis of your passport as proof of ID.  Not everyone drives.  But you'd need an address.

32 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

If you establish a bank account, you may be able to get a credit card through them.  Citi Bank, Bank of America, etc.

You should be able to get a state ID card (depending on state) on the basis of your passport as proof of ID.  Not everyone drives.  But you'd need an address.

Everyone can get a State ID, just based on residency, but generally DMV will require 2 pieces of mail to confirm your address. But if you have a relative who can sign an affidavit that gets around that requirement

When my Thai wife moved to the US, and before she got her driver's license we got her an ID card.

So long as you can prove legal residency and an SSN I 'think' all States are obliged to issue an ID card.

One interesting point btw that we discovered.

You can only hold one True ID card, the Gold Star thing.

So if you have an ID card with that, you you need to surrender it if you get a DL. or the DL will not be valid for air travel, and you'll need to carry both.

I know this, since after we got back from DMV I noticed that her DL said 'Not Valid For Federal Identification', cost us an additional $18 to get it all taken care of!

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Try to open an account with SDFCU while you're still in Thailand. You can open with a passport but they will do a hard credit check. You may or may not get approved but you can try. Then with that you can have your S.S. check paid directly into that account. Then when you repatriate you can change the address. That's a start. 

Not sure about your budget but decent housing in decent areas where you don't need a car generally carries a high premium in the U.S.

There is Uber though. You need to do research on destinations. You might want to look at the old thread I had on affordable U.S. places that don't suck. There are links there about transport.

On housing you might be able to negotiate with a private landlord by paying a year's rent in advance. Forget about regular apartment buildings. 

How about a roommate situation? Many elders own their homes and rent to other elders for companionship and to share expenses. Then the utilities will be in their name. 

I'd have similar issues if I repatriated (but still have a credit history and bank accounts) so I can relate.

I'm with you on the issue of housing cost and transport.

The lower the cost housing tends to also equate to lower, if not pitiful public transit.

You are also right however that Uber, and Lyft are in almost all communities now

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Everyone can get a State ID, just based on residency, but generally DMV will require 2 pieces of mail to confirm your address. ...

In Virginia, I used to have to use my DL and a piece of mail or two (bills) to prove residency to buy a firearm.  24 firearms later, all I need is my DL and my concealed handgun license (CCL).  With the CCL, I can buy multiple handguns each month.  Life is good.  :clap2:

21 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

In Virginia, I used to have to use my DL and a piece of mail or two (bills) to prove residency to buy a firearm.  24 firearms later, all I need is my DL and my concealed handgun license (CCL).  With the CCL, I can buy multiple handguns each month.  Life is good.  :clap2:

Thing is, he's trying to re establish residency.

That poses a whole bunch of challenges, from renting an apartment, buying a car way before thinking about buying a Glock.

And as for Virginia, I will never ever go there again. Driving back from DC to Manassas on I-95, I got stopped by the cops for driving 75.

They actually prosecuted me for reckless  driving!. Cost me $2000

55 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I guess he could use his firearms to get lifetime free residency courtesy of the government?

Just now, GinBoy2 said:

Thing is, he's trying to re establish residency.

That poses a whole bunch of challenges, from renting an apartment, buying a car way before thinking about buying a Glock.

And as for Virginia, I will never ever go there again. Driving back from DC to Manassas on I-95, I got stopped by the cops for driving 75.

They actually prosecuted me for reckless  driving!. Cost me $2000

Yes, he has many challenges ahead.  You need to have this to get that, but you need that to do this.  Catch-22.

Sorry about the ticket.  I'm a wee bit wary in that corridor, though traffic usually precludes driving that fast.  And that stretch has limits a bit lower as it's congested. Further down toward Richmond, I try to be wary and keep it just below 80.

48 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Marcus-I must admit that I am a bit surprised at all of this.Is it truly your intention to return to the US?

There must have been some life event, since he's spent most of his keyboard time berating anyone who even dared to criticize Thailand, let alone leave!

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Marcus-I must admit that I am a bit surprised at all of this.Is it truly your intention to return to the US?

The only thing that might kick me out is being too old to qualify for mandatory insurance.  I think the retirement dollar amount will go to 1 mil shortly and the married to 800,000.  I'm OK there but might not be able to qualify for insurance and they might not understand or accept the Thai AIA and/or FMP from VA. 

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Thanks, your post helps me to cope with the lunatic Thai drivers.

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Banks are really weird on not having a physical address now.  I THINK you can open a savings account right now on line at Capital One. Do you have a friend who will let you use their address? No drivers license number needed. I opened one from Thailand that way as my drivers license is expired.  

https://www.capitalone.com/bank/savings-accounts/

that is easy, prepaid pay as you go cellphone. they mail you the phone or you pick it up and you can pay cash in advance. 

https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/

there is something called "lifeline" service with electric companies that makes sure seniors have power. not sure about cable. 

do you have the cash to pay 100%? if so owning your own home will solve some of your credit problems as the banks will throw credit card applications at you.   

i am not a expert on this but my dad retired USAF moved from Los Angeles to Albuquerque and use VA at both. 

there are prepaid credit card also.

https://usa.visa.com/pay-with-visa/cards/prepaid-cards/all-purpose-reloadable.html

interesting to see your credit rating. maybe not have any negatives will get your power and cable turned on.

Can I use my existing Samsung Galaxy Note phones or will American Immigration confiscate them because they think I'm a perv from Thailand and if so how long will they keep my phones and laptop?

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Can I use my existing Samsung Galaxy Note phones or will American Immigration confiscate them because they think I'm a perv from Thailand and if so how long will they keep my phones and laptop?

Just go with a prepaid service.

Depending on when you end up, ATT Prepaid, Cricket (which is ATT) or Metro PCS (which is TMobile) are your best bets since they will work with your existing Thai Galaxy Note

And no one is going to confiscate your phone, that's just paranoia

32 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The only thing that might kick me out is being too old to qualify for mandatory insurance.  I think the retirement dollar amount will go to 1 mil shortly and the married to 800,000.  I'm OK there but might not be able to qualify for insurance and they might not understand or accept the Thai AIA and/or FMP from VA. 

Thank you for your considered reply.

2 years ago I knew that my time was up as the health insurance increased along with the exclusions.It was the exclusions that actually got me in the end because I ended up self funding most of my treatment.

I also agree that there is every chance that the immigration requirements will go up by a substantial amount.

58 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

There must have been some life event, since he's spent most of his keyboard time berating anyone who even dared to criticize Thailand, let alone leave!

No life event really.  The latest election results will bring some changes and if the Hospital lobby gets it's way there will be mandatory insurance.  That could be good or bad.  Perhaps I'll get a discount on what I'm paying now or perhaps they will just kick us old folks out.  If they kick us out my wife won't leave Thailand so I'll be moving back to the States alone.

My challenges are 1.  Getting into the America with a phone that works.  2.  Being able to get Internet on the phone so I can tether my computer (I'm used to high speeds).  3. Bringing in a couple hundred thousand cash and depositing that in a bank.  4.  Getting from the airport to an apartment and store to buy furnishings for the apartment.  5.  Getting registered with VA and getting my meds changed to the States.  6.  Getting a dr lic and buying a car or living in a city where that is not necessary like Chicago or NYC. 

So, this is the scene.  Here comes old guy not been in the country since 2000.  A pocket full of cash and a couple thousand a month in Social Security.  I know I could go to Chicago - lived there before.  Tampa maybe but VA sucks there and might kill me.  SF - lived there too but think too expensive now.  South America is a no go - no family there in case of emergency.  Canada might work but very expensive and cold - lived in Victoria before. 

Seems like my best choices are the old GF in Wisconsin or Florida but I hate to be an imposition on anyone. 

And maybe it works out and I don't have to go.  But best to be prepared. 

12 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Thank you for your considered reply.

2 years ago I knew that my time was up as the health insurance increased along with the exclusions.It was the exclusions that actually got me in the end because I ended up self funding most of my treatment.

I also agree that there is every chance that the immigration requirements will go up by a substantial amount.

Health insurance which for many Americans looks really attractive when you are in your early to mid 50's, starts to look increasingly unattractive as you enter your 60's.

Also I'm totally on board with the fact that the writing is on the wall of increased requirements for both monetary deposits and mandatory health insurance

33 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Just go with a prepaid service.

Depending on when you end up, ATT Prepaid, Cricket (which is ATT) or Metro PCS (which is TMobile) are your best bets since they will work with your existing Thai Galaxy Note

And no one is going to confiscate your phone, that's just paranoia

All new to me.  Do they have ATT or other service so I can buy prepaid at airport?  How much for what speed/unlimited data? 

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Health insurance which for many Americans looks really attractive when you are in your early to mid 50's, starts to look increasingly unattractive as you enter your 60's.

Also I'm totally on board with the fact that the writing is on the wall of increased requirements for both monetary deposits and mandatory health insurance

When I used the VA before they examined me at a clinic and my meds came by mail all free and no problems they even paid for the Viagra. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

All new to me.  Do they have ATT or other service so I can buy prepaid at airport?  How much for what speed/unlimited data? 

I use ATT Prepaid. It's unlimited text, talk and 4G data for $65 a month. I get a further discount since we have two lines

Marcus:

Do not dispair! You are just the type of quality expatriate which Thailand is very eager to retain! Just show immigration your TVF posting history, and I'm sure any obstacles to your continued stay in Thailand can be quickly swept away by special dispensation. Once they see your unswerving loyalty to the Kingdom and deep and abiding love for the Thai people, not to mention your staunch and unswerving defense of immigration policy, I am sure no stone will be left unturned in an effort to help keep you here.

Honorary citizenship (entitling you to free care in government hospitals) would be an entirely appropriate gesture to reciprocate your too-numerous-to-enumerate efforts on Thailand's behalf. Alas, forum rules prevent me from starting a petition on your behalf, but rest assured, as soon as I finish typing this post, I plan to climb the nearest tree with a bull horn to alert the Thai citizenry of your plight! Help is on the way!

If it is too early in the morning for such sarcasm, please forgive me, but I'm sure I am not alone in thinking, you had it coming in spades. :whistling:

Archived