What does an old guy need to move back to America

marcusarelus

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

Marcus:

Do not dispair! You are just the type of quality expatriate which Thailand is very eager to retain! Just show immigration your TVF posting history, and I'm sure any obstacles to your continued stay in Thailand can be quickly swept away by special dispensation. Once they see your unswerving loyalty to the Kingdom and deep and abiding love for the Thai people, not to mention your staunch and unswerving defense of immigration policy, I am sure no stone will be left unturned in an effort to help keep you here.

Honorary citizenship (entitling you to free care in government hospitals) would be an entirely appropriate gesture to reciprocate your too numerous to enumerate efforts on Thailand's behalf. Alas, forum rules prevent me from starting a petition on your behalf, but rest assured, as soon as I finish typing this post, I plan to climb the nearest tree with a bull horn to alert the Thai citizenry of your plight! Help is on the way!

If it is too early in the morning for such sarcasm, please forgive me, but I'm sure I am not alone in thinking,  he had it coming in spades. :whistling:

That would be nice - the free care in gov hospitals.  I've been there and done that.  Not too impressed.  Prefer the private hospitals and as my insurance covers most things now that's not a problem. 

I'm a realist.  I have good feelings about Thailand as I have been treated well here.  Thailand is facing a surge of people from India, Africa and China as those countries become able to afford immigration as it stands now.  I think this is what is driving Thai policy. 

I have had a good run and more than broken even.  Thank you for your kind thoughts.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No life event really.  The latest election results will bring some changes and if the Hospital lobby gets it's way there will be mandatory insurance.  That could be good or bad.  Perhaps I'll get a discount on what I'm paying now or perhaps they will just kick us old folks out.  If they kick us out my wife won't leave Thailand so I'll be moving back to the States alone.

My challenges are 1.  Getting into the America with a phone that works.  2.  Being able to get Internet on the phone so I can tether my computer (I'm used to high speeds).  3. Bringing in a couple hundred thousand cash and depositing that in a bank.  4.  Getting from the airport to an apartment and store to buy furnishings for the apartment.  5.  Getting registered with VA and getting my meds changed to the States.  6.  Getting a dr lic and buying a car or living in a city where that is not necessary like Chicago or NYC. 

So, this is the scene.  Here comes old guy not been in the country since 2000.  A pocket full of cash and a couple thousand a month in Social Security.  I know I could go to Chicago - lived there before.  Tampa maybe but VA sucks there and might kill me.  SF - lived there too but think too expensive now.  South America is a no go - no family there in case of emergency.  Canada might work but very expensive and cold - lived in Victoria before. 

Seems like my best choices are the old GF in Wisconsin or Florida but I hate to be an imposition on anyone. 

And maybe it works out and I don't have to go.  But best to be prepared. n 

One thing to be prepared for is the FET

Before you can transfer funds out of Thailand you need to have an FET showing an equal or larger inflow into Thailand from overseas.

Otherwise you are stuck making small monthly transfers.

I know we have been at odds in the past, but honestly, try to get your wife to move. You can do the snowbird thing like we do, and there is a huge Thai expat community here in the US

We even have a Thai community here in little old Rapid City South Dakota.

Chicago, Wisconsin or Florida many many more.

Most Thai's that leave never want to return, it's that initial step to actually leave

32 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No life event really.  The latest election results will bring some changes and if the Hospital lobby gets it's way there will be mandatory insurance.  That could be good or bad.  Perhaps I'll get a discount on what I'm paying now or perhaps they will just kick us old folks out.  If they kick us out my wife won't leave Thailand so I'll be moving back to the States alone.

My challenges are 1.  Getting into the America with a phone that works.  2.  Being able to get Internet on the phone so I can tether my computer (I'm used to high speeds).  3. Bringing in a couple hundred thousand cash and depositing that in a bank.  4.  Getting from the airport to an apartment and store to buy furnishings for the apartment.  5.  Getting registered with VA and getting my meds changed to the States.  6.  Getting a dr lic and buying a car or living in a city where that is not necessary like Chicago or NYC. 

So, this is the scene.  Here comes old guy not been in the country since 2000.  A pocket full of cash and a couple thousand a month in Social Security.  I know I could go to Chicago - lived there before.  Tampa maybe but VA sucks there and might kill me.  SF - lived there too but think too expensive now.  South America is a no go - no family there in case of emergency.  Canada might work but very expensive and cold - lived in Victoria before. 

Seems like my best choices are the old GF in Wisconsin or Florida but I hate to be an imposition on anyone. 

And maybe it works out and I don't have to go.  But best to be prepared. 

If you have to go back to the states, one city to give serious thought to is San Antonio, Texas.  There are a lot of veterans who live there and the cost of living is reasonable.  

Another place to consider is Guadalajara, Mexico.  The cost of living is lower than Thailand, and the visa is an easy process unlike Thai Immigrations nonsensical requirements. ????

2 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

If you have to go back to the states, one city to give serious thought to is San Antonio, Texas.  There are a lot of veterans who live there and the cost of living is reasonable.  

Another place to consider is Guadalajara, Mexico.  The cost of living is lower than Thailand, and the visa is an easy process unlike Thai Immigrations nonsensical requirements. ????

Well I'm giving a thumbs up to Guadalajara, my family ancestral home.

It's a beautiful city, good climate, and by Mexican standards at least a very low crime rate 

13 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

One thing to be prepared for is the FET

Before you can transfer funds out of Thailand you need to have an FET showing an equal or larger inflow into Thailand from overseas.

Otherwise you are stuck making small monthly transfers.

I know we have been at odds in the past, but honestly, try to get your wife to move. You can do the snowbird thing like we do, and there is a huge Thai expat community here in the US

We even have a Thai community here in little old Rapid City South Dakota.

Chicago, Wisconsin or Florida many many more.

Most Thai's that leave never want to return, it's that initial step to actually leave

I transferred the money in from Singapore and I have the bank book used to transfer it in and I have all the years of SS coming in which the total is  larger than I'd want to take out.  I never got an FET form didn't know about it then.  I had planned on withdrawing the cash and carrying the cash out.  Is that a problem?

4 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

n Virginia, I used to have to use my DL and a piece of mail or two (bills) to prove residency to buy a firearm.  24 firearms later, all I need is my DL and my concealed handgun license (CCL).  With the CCL, I can buy multiple handguns each month.  Life is good.

Yes, but that is nothing. In my state, if you have a history of mental instability (documented) prior convictions and say,  outstanding restraining orders, you can still buy a gun. Furthermore, the police will not come out and take your 24 weapons including those AR 15's you converted to full auto by buying the parts at a gun show ... .legally.   :thumbsup:   

Its getting me all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it. 

From the OP -

Don't imagine I'd have any old debt as the statue of limitations on credit card debt is 7 years. 

If I understand this correctly, you moved here and left credit card debt behind you ?

If you did not declare bankruptcy you may find that the debt is still outstanding. Or once they find out you are back, you may be sued in civil court to make restitution. 

How would they find out ? As soon as you apply for credit, if you are red flagged - your name will pop up.

You can Run, but you can't Hide

27 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I transferred the money in from Singapore and I have the bank book used to transfer it in and I have all the years of SS coming in which the total is  larger than I'd want to take out.  I never got an FET form didn't know about it then.  I had planned on withdrawing the cash and carrying the cash out.  Is that a problem?

If you transferred in anything to the equivalent of 10K USD then there must be a FET.

You can, but it'll be a problem, carry out cash. Anything in excess of $10K needs to be declared, then you get into the whole money laundering world.

If you are going to do this, set up a US bank account and start transferring amounts less than $10K

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

A lot of money would help. Amazing how many doors it opens.

Those thinking of returning to the States and having a stress free life better have a lot of money.  Doesn't matter how frugal you are......medical care will break you if you need it.  Medicare won't help much unless you add plan b and c and d and extra insurance  etc etc.   I am not a vet,  but I THINK that would be the only real lifeline for those wanting to live in US ( though i also read that care with VA is  problematic) ?

There are nice places in the States ....   but less populated areas would be my choice.  Cheaper, less crime, more friendly,,,,,,,,,  but also less available health services . 

OP being a vet,  if he has no friends or family, maybe going to VET services and asking for help would be one way to get started ?

27 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

From the OP -

Don't imagine I'd have any old debt as the statue of limitations on credit card debt is 7 years. 

If I understand this correctly, you moved here and left credit card debt behind you ?

If you did not declare bankruptcy you may find that the debt is still outstanding. Or once they find out you are back, you may be sued in civil court to make restitution. 

How would they find out ? As soon as you apply for credit, if you are red flagged - your name will pop up.

You can Run, but you can't Hide

Florida’s statute of limitations varies for different types of debts. For written contracts such as personal loans, the statute of limitations is five years. So once this type of debt is more than five years past due, the lender can no longer sue in order to collect owed money. For other debts, the statute is shorter. Oral contracts and revolving accounts such as credit cards have a statute of limitations of four years.

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It went from USA to Singapore.  There for a few years till they didn't want USD and then to Thailand.  Where would I get an FET?  From the bank?

The bank that received the funds should have the FET

What they do is reconcile the outgoing funds to the FET for incoming funds to determine if it's legal, over the $10k limit

4 minutes ago, rumak said:

Those thinking of returning to the States and having a stress free life better have a lot of money.  Doesn't matter how frugal you are......medical care will break you if you need it.  Medicare won't help much unless you add plan b and c and d and extra insurance  etc etc.   I am not a vet,  but I THINK that would be the only real lifeline for those wanting to live in US ( though i also read that care with VA is  problematic) ?

There are nice places in the States ....   but less populated areas would be my choice.  Cheaper, less crime, more friendly,,,,,,,,,  but also less available health services . 

OP being a vet,  if he has no friends or family, maybe going to VET services and asking for help would be one way to get started ?

Ya.  I was thinking of the VFW and VA.  They rate the hospitals so easy to see which are good and which are not. 

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Would they stop me at the border with the cash when I made a declaration?  Or is this all done when the money is withdrawn from the bank? 

If you don't mind paying the fee........travelers checks would be a lot safer.   You can go to different banks to buy if one will not sell you enough.    Space it out over a week or whatever it takes.  NOTE:  If you have a LOT of money and have not been filing a FBAR reporting your bank acct here,  could have a problem ,  Welcome to the world of big brother ! 

16 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Would they stop me at the border with the cash when I made a declaration?  Or is this all done when the money is withdrawn from the bank? 

You can withdraw the funds in Thailand that's no problem. 

It's when you get to customs, at both ends. As i recall on entry to the US you are required to state whether or not you are carrying cash or monetary instruments over $10K

Now on the exit from Thailand, remember they have exchange controls, unlike the West, so exiting with a wad of a of cash is technically illegal 

8 hours ago, direction BANGKOK said:

It might depend on your state, but you need to find your credit scores. There is one or two that do it for free, although it is not the actual scores, they are estimates i think.... creditkarma or something. You can do it all online. 

Sometimes the apartment managers will be more upfront... "you need at least a 600 score". Because every time you apply to an apartment you have to pay for a credit check, and it costs like 20 bucks. Do not get me started on that stuff. 

That is the main thing i would worry about, your credit score. I have returned home after about five years once btw. Everything eles is fairly straightforward except for those credit scores. 

go to creditkarma.com to check your credit score. You can check all of the credit reporting agencies once per year by law.

10 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

You can withdraw the funds in Thailand that's no problem. 

It's when you get to customs, at both ends. As i recall on entry to the US you are required to state whether or not you are carrying cash or monetary instruments over $10K

I understand that.  I sold a house and have paper trail and FBAR records and such.  But what does Thailand require when leaving? 

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I understand that.  I sold a house and have paper trail and FBAR records and such.  But what does Thailand require when leaving? 

If you have sold property, and I've done this many times.

You need the FET of funds into Thailand, and the Proof of Sale for the Property from the Land Office, plus the sales contract for the bank to make the transfer

21 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

If you have sold property, and I've done this many times.

You need the FET of funds into Thailand, and the Proof of Sale for the Property from the Land Office, plus the sales contract for the bank to make the transfer

No sorry sold the house in America

You will not need a FET if you limit transfers out of Thailand to 50k usd or less

I have done a few million baht that way no problems

& was never asked for FET's (although I had them in case to show I did bring it in)

When they asked reason for transfer I just said repatriation

Funny my wife who is dual citizen US/Thai had more trouble as she needed to go home & fetch her US passport before they would transfer her

900k baht  back to USA

2 minutes ago, mania said:

You will not need a FET if you limit transfers out of Thailand to 50k usd or less

I have done a few million baht that way no problems

& was never asked for FET's (although I had them in case to show I did bring it in)

When they asked reason for transfer I just said repatriation

Funny my wife who is dual citizen US/Thai had more trouble as she needed to go home & fetch her US passport before they would transfer her

900k baht  back to USA

I concur with your post.

I asked at the foreign transfer  office at a  Kasikorn Bank and was told even without a FET I could transfer 1.9 million baht out of Thailand.      That was a relief to me.

11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

No credit, no reference.  How do I get a phone and electricity and cable? 

Phone I prepay $26 a month for unlimited talk & text.

Would be $31 if not prepaid

Electricity....$50 deposit for new accounts may vary State to State

Cable no prob but better if you buy your own cable modem $80-ish rather than rent theirs for $10 a month

I pay $32 a month for high speed cable at home (internet only as I don't watch TV) You can also use a ROKU stick & stream

cable based internet stations to your TV while on internet only cable & of course some local stations will always be available free

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

I concur with your post.

I asked at the foreign transfer  office at a  Kasikorn Bank and was told even without a FET I could transfer 1.9 million baht out of Thailand.      That was a relief to me.

That is quite good as it is above 50k

1.9m Baht=59k USD today anyway ????

To think even Marcus is considering leaving due to changes of Government/Immigration, it brought a real cold shiver to my heart. The so called changes I am hearing about coming in May has many of my friends/married friends rattled.

I am currently in Australia on holidays with my wife and life here for us is pretty good. Really, cost of living is not much more expensive than Thailand and I am finding having all the free services good. The biggest difference is the pollution and we are finding a new network of friends.

This post has really surprised me and if changes are coming, things really as I have been feeling for the last couple of months within the Government sector, it may be a mass of change.

Lets see how this all pans out first but having a plan B seems now to be on a lot of people’s minds.

13 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Lets see how this all pans out first but having a plan B seems now to be on a lot of people’s minds.

seems like for many it is a plan  "OA" .........Old age !     what to do,  should i stay or should i go.   

The posters who continue to say how stupid it is to cut all ties have a LOT of money or a family network who can look after things when away ( and away is 20 plus years for many on this forum).   

If i could live all over again i would choose wealthy parents and a country with good health care for old age.

IF ..........   But I will never regret leaving when I did and the interesting life I found here in LOS.  

Archived