What does an old guy need to move back to America

marcusarelus

9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

That would be nice - the free care in gov hospitals.  I've been there and done that.  Not too impressed.  Prefer the private hospitals and as my insurance covers most things now that's not a problem. 

I'm a realist.  I have good feelings about Thailand as I have been treated well here.  Thailand is facing a surge of people from India, Africa and China as those countries become able to afford immigration as it stands now.  I think this is what is driving Thai policy. 

I have had a good run and more than broken even.  Thank you for your kind thoughts.

I would have to give this post a big thumbs-up for patience in responding to what was meant to provoke.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody will rent you an apartment. You might pas the credit check if they do one. They will turn your electric on, they may require a months estimated bill as deposit. Go to the drivers license bureau of the state where you will live and get an ID. Use a friend’s home as your address if you don’t get your own right away. There is a database of USA residential addresses and you should put one as your address. Don’t use a PO Box or private mailbox shop (PMB). They will know. I used a PMB and my accounts were frozen at some banks. I changed my (Florida) drivers license to a friend’s home. Somebody will give you a cell phone account. If your Thai phone is fine, AT&T, T-Mobile, and possibly MetroPCS may be able to give you a SIM card. Call the Philippines office of USA social security to tell them you are moving back, they handle Thailand retirees.

At age 80 and no Thai or US drivers license I think DMV offices are going to be very hard ass on giving a new license. Get real. He should probably forget about driving.

Also there is real ID now in the US for licenses. Using a fictional address won't work. They'll require multiple documents as proof.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You can land and stay for some months in Air B and B places. No credit check. Friend is doing it in USA. Can land this way, then sort. 

Without a credit card?  

I still think my idea of connecting with another elder that owns a home in a place near public transport and or Uberable is a good idea. That would be a softer landing with not much need for a recent history there. Would just need to convince one person. Then could do some rebuilding. The trouble with that idea is that it's mostly women seeking women. Pinellas County Florida features a non profit that activity organizes such win win matches. The elder homeowners need help with bills and companionship.

According to stats there is only one affordable major city with a premium public transportation system: Pittsburgh, PA. That would solve the immediacy of two of your issues and allow time to put the rest in place. Contact a senior center in your chosen city and tell them you need housing with utilities included, at least for the first six months. Ask them what agency, public or private that can best help you. The rest will come easy.

By the way, Pittsburgh has skyrocketed in the quality of life standings since you left. 

Pittsburgh is indeed up there on good "lower cost" U.S. retirement destinations but it does have very cold winters and most people don't want that. If you're considering cold, have a look at Rochester New York as well. A remarkable amount of cultural attractions for a city its size and I noticed they have a lot of senior oriented housing. At age 80 a lot of people are going to be looking for a senior community where transport to doctors, shopping, and "field trips" is part of it. But extra services, extra cost. There are HUD subsidized senior housing communities (rent based on income) in many cities usually affiliated with churches but all of them have strict application screening (which is required by HUD) and I think the prospects for a newly returned expat and no recent locl history would be almost nil (long waiting lists anyway, often years). Not talking about only slums … many are nice places in good neighborhoods. That could be something to work towards later.

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

At age 80 and no Thai or US drivers license I think DMV offices are going to be very hard ass on giving a new license. Get real. He should probably forget about driving.

Also there is real ID now in the US for licenses. Using a fictional address won't work. They'll require multiple documents as proof.

Florida requires drivers age 80 and older to renew their licenses every six years; those 79 and younger can receive eight-year licenses

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Florida requires drivers age 80 and older to renew their licenses every six years; those 79 and younger can receive eight-year licenses

Florida might be a good choice. It's economy is largely about tourism and seniors. 

Coming in with no license at the very least you'll be tested. 

If you haven't driven in many years (I haven't) you might not pass the tests.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Florida might be a good choice. It's economy is largely about tourism and seniors. 

It was my Florida license that was stolen and expired in Thailand.  I have driven for a few years here.  I still drive a Honda Click. 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

It was my Florida license that was stolen and expired in Thailand.  I have driven for a few years here.  I still drive a Honda Click. 

Great. But you'll still be tested. If you pass you pass, if you fail, no driver's license for you. You could always take a course to prepare. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Great. But you'll still be tested. If you pass you pass, if you fail, no driver's license for you. You could always take a course to prepare. 

You are able to retake the FL Driving Exam approximately five times before you must wait a year before trying again.  FL no longer requires that you parallel park on your driving exam.

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You are able to retake the FL Driving Exam approximately five times before you must wait a year before trying again

Good luck. 

My feeling after not driving for over a decade is not wanting to ever drive again. Which is a big reason I'm looking abroad if I'm "persuaded" to leave Thailand. If you can live in a place where taxis or Ubers are 2 or 3 bucks across town why buy a car in the first place?

Also to add with no recent history at age 80 the car insurance companies will probably rape you.

You will need a state license for I.D. though. 

17 hours ago, direction BANGKOK said:

It might depend on your state, but you need to find your credit scores. There is one or two that do it for free, although it is not the actual scores, they are estimates i think.... creditkarma or something. You can do it all online. 

Sometimes the apartment managers will be more upfront... "you need at least a 600 score". Because every time you apply to an apartment you have to pay for a credit check, and it costs like 20 bucks. Do not get me started on that stuff. 

That is the main thing i would worry about, your credit score. I have returned home after about five years once btw. Everything eles is fairly straightforward except for those credit scores. 

Yes, google creditkarma.  It's free to join, they make their money by recommending credit card offers to you.  It's a good deal, the advertising is not intrusive in my opinion and you get your credit scores and reports from two credit reporting agencies (TransUnion and Equifax).  You can get your Experian credit score and report from Experian directly for free.  Experian will ask when you log in if you want to upgrade to a pay version, but there's no need - just say no.  Tip:  Use the Opera browser with its free VPN (if you don't already have a VPN) to appear to be in the US or you will trouble accessing some of these sites from Thailand.  I would do this first to see what state your credit is in.  May not be as bad as you imagine.

I beg to differ.

No U.S. credit card.

No U.S. rental history.

His credit will be in the toilet.

Take that to the bank.

Most likely it will show no history which in some ways is worse than bad credit.

Bad credit at least you're in the game.

No history is like you're from Mars. 

1 hour ago, Ebumbu said:

You can land and stay for some months in Air B and B places. No credit check. Friend is doing it in USA. Can land this way, then sort. 

Last time I looked about Air BnB places around the L.A. area, they were as expensive or more expensive than a typical motel/small hotel place.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Last time I looked about Air BnB places around the L.A. area, they were as expensive or more expensive than a typical motel/small hotel place.

In any case he needs to land somewhere. Literally from the airport to someplace. So someplace temporary makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I beg to differ.

No U.S. credit card.

No U.S. rental history.

His credit will be in the toilet.

Take that to the bank.

Most likely it will show no history which in some ways is worse than bad credit.

Bad credit at least you're in the game.

No history is like you're from Mars. 

Why speculate when it's easy and free to find out for sure?

52 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Aren't large parts of coastal FL also supposed to be submerged in the coming years? That's what the scientists say...

On the other hand. on Marcus' timeframe, that might not be something he'd have to worry about too much!

Just now, skatewash said:

Why speculate when it's easy and free to find out for sure?

Yeah sure.

It might depend on how long he's been without any credit history there.

A year or two would presumably be much different than ten years of nothing. 

But I do know something about what it means to have no credit history in the U.S. You definitely can't rent at a regular apartment building. 

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Aren't large parts of coastal FL also supposed to be submerged in the coming years? That's what the scientists say...

On the other hand. on Marcus' timeframe, that might not be something he'd have to worry about too much!

Yeah exactly.

Florida sucks for public transport though. 

But then again most of the USA does as well. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah exactly.

Florida sucks for public transport though. 

But then again most of the USA does as well. 

My elderly father, older than Marcus, just got his Medicare provider to buy him an electric/battery powered scooter that supposedly is capable of driving on sidewalks and crossing streets.  No license required!

In my father's case, I'll believe that if/when I actually see him doing it....  :whistling:

PS - I also happen to think that trying to drive a car in the U.S. at age 80+, especially after a long absence from driving here in Thailand, is probably not a great idea in most cases....

You are a veteran so Navy Credit Union will open you an account when you have a USA address. Great credit union with best rates and fees. They will also give you a credit card if you have your social security direct deposited into your account.  Most utilities require a deposit even if you have good credit. Most apartments will rent to you with a deposit and no bad credit. Simply explain you lived overseas and rented and are returning home. Don’t know what state you are going to but many states over age 70 or 75 make it more difficult to get a drivers license but will give you a state identification card. I suggest Florida for you near a VA hospital or some state in the south which is cheaper than the north and better weather. Good luck you you. 

1 minute ago, ThaiWai said:

Never heard of a non driver ID from motor vehicles?

yes thank you as i stated in the first comment of this topic before all the doom sayers showed up. it is incredible the negativity here. 

he clearly stated he does not want to drive. so id card only.

8 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

You are a veteran so Navy Credit Union will open you an account when you have a USA address.

Navy Fed CU and USAA might even open new accounts for vets with a Thailand address, especially if you tell them you're planning to relocate back to the U.S. I believe some others here have reported that.

yes thank you as i stated in the first comment of this topic before all the doom sayers showed up. it is incredible the negativity here. 

he clearly stated he does not want to drive. so id card only.

Sorry I missed that. I thought he wanted to drive. Getting only ID might be a problem as well. Sorry but with the new real ID laws that's the way it is.

I'd pick a No State Income Tax state if you can. Florida, Texas, Nevada, Washington are some. Florida has great senior services but you have to do some research on where you want to live. I know you can open a bank account even when you are still in TH. As some have mentioned, Credit Unions are easier. As for a credit card, apply for a store card first, Lowes, Home Depot, Sears or JC Penny, etc. (if those last two are still in business). Store cards are much easier. Once you get one of them and make some payments on time, the Bank CC offers will start rolling in.  I DO NOT reccomend applying for a bank CC first if you have no credit history. You will get rejected and it will be on your credit report. Then bank mob mentality comes in: if CitiBank rejected him, then Bank of America must too.

Good luck repatriating. If you can pass on some of your findings and experiences.

Archived