What does an old guy need to move back to America

marcusarelus

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Use a service like USA2Me in Houston, TX, and there are others similar, that would give him a U.S. mail/street address that he can use NOW to do things like help open a U.S. bank account,

USA banks don't accept mail forwarding or P.O Boxes as addresses. My bofa account was closed for this reason since I have been in Thailand. 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

No life event really.  The latest election results will bring some changes and if the Hospital lobby gets it's way there will be mandatory insurance.  That could be good or bad.  Perhaps I'll get a discount on what I'm paying now or perhaps they will just kick us old folks out.  If they kick us out my wife won't leave Thailand so I'll be moving back to the States alone.

My challenges are 1.  Getting into the America with a phone that works.  2.  Being able to get Internet on the phone so I can tether my computer (I'm used to high speeds).  3. Bringing in a couple hundred thousand cash and depositing that in a bank.  4.  Getting from the airport to an apartment and store to buy furnishings for the apartment.  5.  Getting registered with VA and getting my meds changed to the States.  6.  Getting a dr lic and buying a car or living in a city where that is not necessary like Chicago or NYC. 

So, this is the scene.  Here comes old guy not been in the country since 2000.  A pocket full of cash and a couple thousand a month in Social Security.  I know I could go to Chicago - lived there before.  Tampa maybe but VA sucks there and might kill me.  SF - lived there too but think too expensive now.  South America is a no go - no family there in case of emergency.  Canada might work but very expensive and cold - lived in Victoria before. 

Seems like my best choices are the old GF in Wisconsin or Florida but I hate to be an imposition on anyone. 

And maybe it works out and I don't have to go.  But best to be prepared. 

Florida has no state tax.

There are plenty of affordable options, however don't expect beachfront..

As far as your wife not wanting to come?

There is a Thai Temple in Melbourne Florida that has lots of senior Thai ladies.

She would probably get along well and not miss a thing.

I was off of the radar for over 25 years.....when I landed back I the US of A was a nightmare with Social Security and Medicare, Medicare and the like.....most everyone had a problem trying to find me in the system.....some are still looking.....good thing I had my birth certificate in tow....was my life line for most mundane things in and about town.......good luck old timer...getting old sucks.....????

I have read this whole thread.....Very helpful info but some things bother me regarding this thread.....

If Marcusarelus has loads of money he could go anywhere....And he could for sure afford to stay in Thailand...Even if health insurance was required..With a little grease I am sure things could be worked out....

The USA can be a very lonely expensive place to live especially if you have no friends or family......I honestly cant even begin to get my head around moving back there at 80 and starting over or how any one could even consider that choice....

Hey I am not him but it just does not make sense to me...

I have older Veteran friends who live at one of the state Veteran homes in California.

Lake Chapala in Mexico has a large expat community and there is an American Legion Post.

Google Cuenca, Ecuador for another retirement destination idea.

1 minute ago, poka513 said:

I have older Veteran friends who live at one of the state Veteran homes in California.

Lake Chapala in Mexico has a large expat community and there is an American Legion Post.

Google Cuenca, Ecuador for another retirement destination idea.

Yes there are a number of options in Latin America and those are two very good ones. However I would suggest Ecuador is going to be hard for ex-Thai expats because of their documentation requirements from Thailand which need to submitted multiple times. Expats in Chapala and Ajijic often have cars and because it has become gringo town the prices have inflated.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

USA banks don't accept mail forwarding or P.O Boxes as addresses. My bofa account was closed for this reason since I have been in Thailand. 

US banks have really tightened up on using PMB's and their software is seems pretty sophisticated at detecting them.

I'd used my PMB address for my BoA account for years, it wasn't until I tried to open a new account with them it got flagged.

Now was in the fortunate position that I still had a physical address in the US, and they're fine with using the PMB as the mailing address so long as you provide them with a physical address too

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sorry I missed that. I thought he wanted to drive. Getting only ID might be a problem as well. Sorry but with the new real ID laws that's the way it is.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As long as he has his passport he can get state ID. He can order a copy of his birth certificate from whatever city/stste he was born in . I have my original but also several copies I picked up before I left Massaachusetts. When he gets back he can check in with any Social Security office and VA Office as he has been receiving benefits over here and they can assist him in US as he is already in their systems.. For senior citizens on SS he can get a free cell phone and monthly service , can ask at SS Office. Should start Googling safe/cheap places to retire to in USA. Florida and Texas have cheap areas but need to check crime statistics in some cheap areas.

The comment about would they confiscate his phone or laptop from Thailand I hope was a joke as the US is not a totalitarian country, they confiscate nothing when coming back or check thru PC's or phone.

3 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

As long as he has his passport he can get state ID. He can order a copy of his birth certificate from whatever city/stste he was born in . I have my original but also several copies I picked up before I left Massaachusetts. When he gets back he can check in with any Social Security office and VA Office as he has been receiving benefits over here and they can assist him in US as he is already in their systems.. For senior citizens on SS he can get a free cell phone and monthly service , can ask at SS Office. Should start Googling safe/cheap places to retire to in USA. Florida and Texas have cheap areas but need to check crime statistics in some cheap areas.

The comment about would they confiscate his phone or laptop from Thailand I hope was a joke as the US is not a totalitarian country, they confiscate nothing when coming back or check thru PC's or phone.

He says he can afford 1000 dollars a month rent. That's not that cheap. He would have a lot of choices for that. 

Just now, NCC1701A said:

can you provide a link to the state that will accept only a passport and not proof of a physical address like two utility bills?

Every State I have ever lived in, DMV requires two pieces of mail or utility bills before they will issue an ID.

When we did this for my wife before she got her DL, thankfully I'd dumped a ton of junk mail in the back of the car addressed to me, I was able to just sign an affidavit that she lived at the same address

14 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

they confiscate nothing when coming back or check thru PC's or phone.

sorry to say if you are a white male, traveling alone, have been to Cambodia and fit the pedophile profile they will look at your phone.

I had a friend who told me first hand, they took his phone and started asking about the age of the women in his vacation photos.    

when I go back to the USA I have a completely separate phone with no photos and LINE contacts in Thailand and no conversations, no chats, no badoo, no wechat, nothing. could you imagine all the innocent selfies with bar girls just goofing around? you will be torn apart.   

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

sorry to say if you are a white male, traveling alone, have been to Cambodia and fit the pedophile profile they will look at your phone.

I had a friend who told me first hand, they took his phone and started asking about the age of the women in his vacation photos.    

They can do that legally and sometimes they do. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The main draw for older people is Medicare and in some cases V.A. benefits as with the O.P.

I do understand going back for that but I wouldn't want to.

Instant degradation in quality of life. Big time. 

Well thats a bit of a crap shoot.

As you well know its a big country, and costs are hugely variable

I know you aren't tolerant of weather, but often that seriously affects the affordability.

I don't think you're old enough for Medicare, but even in States without expanded Medicare, if you are on a low income the premium tax credit handily pays for a Bronze Obamacare plan.

I know this since when we first came back to the States neither of us worked, and regardless of assets, it's what income you declare on your 1040 that makes you eligible for the tax credit

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well thats a bit of a crap shoot.

As you well know its a big country, and costs are hugely variable

I know you aren't tolerant of weather, but often that seriously affects the affordability.

I don't think you're old enough for Medicare, but even in States without expanded Medicare, if you are on a low income the premium tax credit handily pays for a Bronze Obamacare plan.

I know this since when we first came back to the States neither of us worked, and regardless of assets, it's what income you declare on your 1040 that makes you eligible for the tax credit

It's expanded Medicaid, not expanded Medicare, and it's not on offer in all states. Most of the states that attract retirees (sunbelt states) do not offer it. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's expanded Medicaid, not expanded Medicare, and it's not on offer in all states. Most of the states that attract retirees (sunbelt states) do not offer it. 

Sorry for the mistake.

But even in those States you can sign up through the Health Exchange and get coverage through an Obamacare policy.

When we first came home and neither of us were working, we signed up through the exchange. Got a plan that covered preventative visits, and a regular Dr office was a $35 copay.

Now the overall deductible was horrible, but that's why God invented credit cards!

But overall, it allows you to go to the Dr, get a script if you need medication and in awful event of something catastrophic you are covered.

So as much as I appreciate the craziness of our system, this isn't bad

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Actually they (banks) will accept a mail forwarding address to mail physical/paper forms but still require a physical address. So what I did after leaving N. California was head down to visit my wife’s cousin in Houston. Traded in my California license for a Texas one and signed all the docs to set up the mail forwarding.

Even if/when that license expires and if my wife’s cousin moves, the bank doesn’t know or care. I just tell them I travel a lot (which is true) and I call them on my Google Voice number which I converted from a landline number I had had for almost 25 years. I also do most of my banking online using a VPN that routes through US servers, making it look like I’m physically in the US. This is especially important for my various Schwab accounts, since they limit access to stocks and other financial instruments for those outside of the US.

7 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Actually they (banks) will accept a mail forwarding address to mail physical/paper forms but still require a physical address. So what I did after leaving N. California was head down to visit my wife’s cousin in Houston. Traded in my California license for a Texas one and signed all the docs to set up the mail forwarding.

Even if/when that license expires and if my wife’s cousin moves, the bank doesn’t know or care. I just tell them I travel a lot (which is true) and I call them on my Google Voice number which I converted from a landline number I had had for almost 25 years. I also do most of my banking online using a VPN that routes through US servers, making it look like I’m physically in the US. This is especially important for my various Schwab accounts, since they limit access to stocks and other financial instruments for those outside of the US.

It gets tricky when they want to send you an SMS code.

Even though Google Voice does that, it often doesn't work with banks, personal experience BoA & Chase. 

For BoA ended up getting  one of their SafePass cards.

Ultimately I just got a prepaid US phone with WiFi calling capability which I left on 24x7, that's pretty  much bullet proof

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Sorry for the mistake.

But even in those States you can sign up through the Health Exchange and get coverage through an Obamacare policy.

When we first came home and neither of us were working, we signed up through the exchange. Got a plan that covered preventative visits, and a regular Dr office was a $35 copay.

Now the overall deductible was horrible, but that's why God invented credit cards!

But overall, it allows you to go to the Dr, get a script if you need medication and in awful event of something catastrophic you are covered.

So as much as I appreciate the craziness of our system, this isn't bad

Correction. No, not everyone in non expanded Medicaid states can sign up for an ACA plan. Those people not qualifying for traditional Medicaid eligibility (extreme poverty and other rules) and lower than the minimum needed for the ACA plans have NO such option. That was the point of EXPANDED Medicaid!

18 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

It gets tricky when they want to send you an SMS code.

Even though Google Voice does that, it often doesn't work with banks, personal experience BoA & Chase. 

For BoA ended up getting  one of their SafePass cards.

Ultimately I just got a prepaid US phone with WiFi calling capability which I left on 24x7, that's pretty  much bullet proof

Actually I’ve never had problems with my Google Voice number receiving codes via SMS from various entities, including banks, except recently when I downloaded the Wells Fargo app to my iPad and messed up my login too many times, temporarily locking me out. Attempted codes sent did not get through but I got it resolved with a voice call to tech/acct support.

Interested in your prepaid US phone with WiFi calling. Could you PM the details on that.

29 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Actually I’ve never had problems with my Google Voice number receiving codes via SMS from various entities, including banks, except recently when I downloaded the Wells Fargo app to my iPad and messed up my login too many times, temporarily locking me out. Attempted codes sent did not get through but I got it resolved with a voice call to tech/acct support.

Interested in your prepaid US phone with WiFi calling. Could you PM the details on that.

Done, check your inbox

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Correction. No, not everyone in non expanded Medicaid states can sign up for an ACA plan. Those people not qualifying for traditional Medicaid eligibility (extreme poverty and other rules) and lower than the minimum needed for the ACA plans have NO such option. That was the point of EXPANDED Medicaid!

No, you're wrong.

Everyone can sign up for a plan through the exchange. I live in the reddest of red States, and I did sign up through the federal exchange.

You go through a process where you say what your expected income for the next year will be, then that determines the premium tax credit you are entitled to.

It then takes you to the plans available in your State, and applies the tax credit to the monthly premium. 

At the end of the year you will receive a 1095-A detailing your tax benefits that you received, which you list on on your 1040. 

If you actually did exceed the income you stated on your application you pay it back, but if not it's just done

Now I'm talking through experience, since until my wife started working for the Feds, this is what we did, so it isn't hypothetical.

Oh and btw my wife, as a new immigrant was covered too!

22 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

No, you're wrong.

Everyone can sign up for a plan through the exchange. I live in the reddest of red States, and I did sign up through the federal exchange.

You go through a process where you say what your expected income for the next year will be, then that determines the premium tax credit you are entitled to.

It then takes you to the plans available in your State, and applies the tax credit to the monthly premium. 

At the end of the year you will receive a 1095-A detailing your tax benefits that you received, which you list on on your 1040. 

If you actually did exceed the income you stated on your application you pay it back, but if not it's just done

Now I'm talking through experience, since until my wife started working for the Feds, this is what we did, so it isn't hypothetical.

Oh and btw my wife, as a new immigrant was covered too!

No, you are wrong. I am talking only about people in states without expanded Medicaid for the group of people not eligible for traditional Medicaid but making LESS than the MINIMUM to be eligible for ACA. Yes it is subsidized for lower income people making AT LEAST the minimum. But people falling in that space are not eligible in any way for ACA plan subsidies. It's really crazy, the people needing the subsidies the most not being eligible for any subsidy at all, thanks to the states that didn't expand Medicaid. You know your personal experience and think it applies to all because your income was ABOVE that minimum.

If you still don't believe me -- NO options for these people except either no insurance or of they have massive savings, paying full retail as if they were high income.

If your income is low and your state hasn’t expanded Medicaid

If your state hasn’t expanded Medicaid, your income is below the federal poverty level, and you don't qualify for Medicaid under your state's current rules, you won’t qualify for either health insurance savings program: Medicaid coverage or savings on a private health plan bought through the Marketplace.

https://www.healthcare.gov/medicaid-chip/medicaid-expansion-and-you/

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I beg to differ.

No U.S. credit card.

No U.S. rental history.

His credit will be in the toilet.

Take that to the bank.

Most likely it will show no history which in some ways is worse than bad credit.

Bad credit at least you're in the game.

No history is like you're from Mars. 

It wasn't until I repatriated that I learned the importance of a credit rating. I had never given it much thought previously because I simply don't utilize credit to pay for things. What I came to learn is that people with low credit scores are discriminated against and often have to pay more than people with higher scores.

At the time of my return I had a credit score of "0", which is to say no current credit history. Now, it's not as bad as it sounds, as no credit history is better than bad credit history.  Anyway, I went to my credit union and had them give me a credit card and through them I loaned myself $50,000 for a year with them collecting 1 1/2% for facilitating the loan. In the space of a year my credit rating went from "0" to "740" and 5 years later it's at 840. So there are ways to get it up.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No, you are wrong. I am talking only about people in states without expanded Medicaid for the group of people not eligible for traditional Medicaid but making LESS than the MINIMUM to be eligible for ACA. Yes it is subsidized for lower income people making AT LEAST the minimum. But people falling in that space are not eligible in any way for ACA plans. You know your personal experience and think it applies to all because your income was ABOVE that minimum.

Sorry but you are totally wrong.

I live in a State without expanded Medicaid. 

The premium tax credit is totally separate from that, since it's a Federal issue.

The tax premium is scaled based on your stated income for the year.

That's just how the ACA works

Archived