What does an old guy need to move back to America

marcusarelus

4 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Sorry but you are totally wrong.

I live in a State without expanded Medicaid. 

The premium tax credit is totally separate from that, since it's a Federal issue.

The tax premium is scaled based on your stated income for the year.

That's just how the ACA works

No. You are wrong. Read the link. You don't understand because in your case you were making ABOVE the minimum income for eligibility for ACA plan subsidies. People UNDER THAT are simply not eligible for ACA subsidies. In expanded Medicaid states those people can join expanded Medicaid in case they aren't eligible for traditional Medicaid. In non expanded Medicaid states they are out of luck. I don't understand why you can't grasp this but I know you are wrong. I won't even say agree to disagree because I have posted the facts from an authoritative website and your only knowledge comes from personal experience of making more than the minimum eligible income to qualify for ACA subsidies. So you didn't bother learning before what would happen if you were UNDER the minimum. 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Great. But you'll still be tested. If you pass you pass, if you fail, no driver's license for you. You could always take a course to prepare. 

Idf you fail you just do the test again. I failed my first time so did my husband. When you take the test the first time you don't really know what to expect. The second time is very easy. You are really beating this driving thing to death. You can take the test 100 times if need be.

edit: I see some places they have a 5 time limit in one year. Still it is really not much of a hurdle to pass the test.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The main draw for older people is Medicare and in some cases V.A. benefits as with the O.P.

I do understand going back for that but I wouldn't want to.

Instant degradation in quality of life. Big time. 

Exactly! It is oppressive. I have to laugh at the folks whining about the hurdles to living in Thailand. In the US everyone wants a piece of you and they just won't leave you alone.

16 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

The premium tax credit is totally separate from that, since it's a Federal issue.

No, Jingthing's right. If you're under the poverty level you must apply for Medicaid and are not eligible for ACA subsidies.

23 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

My state recently expanded Medicaid.  But before that, I believe one had to be above the federal poverty level to qualify for the ACA.  If you were broke you were SOL.

My family of 3 managed to get a decent policy very cheaply because our taxable income was low but just above the poverty level.  Money from savings didn't count, which is how we made it.  One year we paid about $80 a month for 3, and two us were around 60 years old.  The total out-of-pocket max was ridiculously low, like $700. I had a precondition - abdominal aortal aneurysm of about 6 cm (pool ball size).  Open surgery and a full week in the hospital cost me about $500 maybe.  I never added up all the bills, but I had been quoted around $300,000+ before I had insurance, with no guarantees.  Saved my life.

My wife is currently on ACA as I now have Medicare.  Her bill is about $130/mo now and it's not a bad policy.

Prior to that, I was paying about $1,600/mo for health insurance for 3.  About 600,000 baht per year.

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

My state recently expanded Medicaid.  But before that, I believe one had to be above the federal poverty level to qualify for the ACA.  If you were broke you were SOL.

My family of 3 managed to get a decent policy very cheaply because our taxable income was low but just above the poverty level.  Money from savings didn't count, which is how we made it.  One year we paid about $80 a month for 3, and two us were around 60 years old.  The total out-of-pocket max was ridiculously low, like $700. I had a precondition - abdominal aortal aneurysm of about 6 cm (pool ball size).  Open surgery and a full week in the hospital cost me about $500 maybe.  I never added up all the bills, but I had been quoted around $300,000+ before I had insurance, with no guarantees.  Saved my life.

My wife is currently on ACA as I now have Medicare.  Her bill is about $130/mo now and it's not a bad policy.

Prior to that, I was paying about $1,600/mo for health insurance for 3.  About 600,000 baht per year.

So here's my 2017 1095-A

I established ACA in January. My wife got her green card in August, so her coverage started in September.

Columns A & C match, the tax credits paid for it all

1095.jpg

13 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

So here's my 2017 1095-A

I established ACA in January. My wife got her green card in August, so her coverage started in September.

Columns A & C match, the tax credits paid for it all

1095.jpg

AGI in the 22k-24k range? If so that makes sense. Higher than that and I think it would be a partial subsidy though still significant. Lower than 138% of PL About $21k and it's Medicaid.

2 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

AGI in the 22k-24k range? If so that makes sense. Higher than that and I think it would be a partial subsidy though still significant. Lower than 138% of PL About $21k and it's Medicaid.

They don't take into account assets, so you can have a million $ in the bank, but so long as that dosent bring in too much income you're good to go.

When we moved back to the US, that was exactly our situation. 

We essentially had zero income, and living off our savings until my wife got a job

Just now, GinBoy2 said:

They don't take into account assets, so you can have a million $ in the bank, but so long as that dosent bring in too much income you're good to go.

When we moved back to the US, that was exactly our situation. 

We essentially had zero income, and living off our savings until my wife got a job

Yeah, I know it's income based, but if you showed NO income or were evn less than 138% of the FPL you are usually compelled to register for Medicaid rather than the ACA. Anyhow, however it happened, congratulation. I'm jealous frankly. My wife and I pay about 35% more per month than you and your wife do with no subsidy. The ACA had the opportunity to unify Americans in the same way as Social Security, but for many of us it is a bitter pill to swallow.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:08 AM, direction BANGKOK said:

It might depend on your state, but you need to find your credit scores. There is one or two that do it for free, although it is not the actual scores, they are estimates i think.... creditkarma or something. You can do it all online. 

Sometimes the apartment managers will be more upfront... "you need at least a 600 score". Because every time you apply to an apartment you have to pay for a credit check, and it costs like 20 bucks. Do not get me started on that stuff. 

That is the main thing i would worry about, your credit score. I have returned home after about five years once btw. Everything eles is fairly straightforward except for those credit scores. 

I am out of my"country of origin" (COO) for 10 years. No debt in COO, no connection with COO,no credit cards(almost), only COO bank "debit card"  and one credit card i intentionally use a few times a year on flights(on-line purchases)  and always pay off within a week to avoid unnecessary interest charge.

I do this so that I am not a total "ghost" on the credit score sheet and to display good responsibility in case I return some day to COO.

My credit score is excellent,near perfect and no other record besides one credit card.

His credit score should be good to excellent as everything(good and bad) should already have been wiped out during those years out of country.

The OP has several hundred thousand dollars getting credit won't be a big problem. Just get a secured card. I came out of nowhere and was able to get a credit score above 600 easily and now it's around 750 after a year of having credit. Renting was tough so I just bought my own place in cash. The OP has basically zero worries with his finances if he is careful. He could buy a condo for around the same price in Florida as you can buy in Pattaya. I don't mean the lowest price in Pattaya but something under $100k for something decent.

Passport works as ID just about anywhere. This is also not a big deal. Of course you want state ID but for checking into hotels, cashing checks and anything else a passport does it all. It's just considered a little unusual if you are an American citizen.

Get an airbnb for two months and you will be able to secure state ID on that address. You can even do less time if the airbnb owner agrees to hold mail for you and you trust them. This will also work for a bank. If you move no big deal just use paperless statements for your billing.

As far as phones go the new model in the USA is no contract plans any shop will let you have a SIM card with no credit check. Period. Make sure you ask what service is good in your area as it varies wildly. If you have a Thai phone it will be GSM. ATT and T-mobile are your friends here. 

If you really like Thailand and it is just the visa than with your finances the elite visa is a financial pin prick.

54 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If the OP can afford USD 1000 a month for rent, he might be better off moving to Australia. Although I'm not sure how the public health system would work for him.

That would be a most difficult move....and the health system wouldn't work for him at all.

I guess that Marcus is just dipping his toe in the water at present.Tho' I believe that the Prez has a Marine detachment on standby if Marcus does require urgent extraction.

4 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

Interested in your prepaid US phone with WiFi calling. Could you PM the details on that.

I primarily use Google Voice for all my banking SMSs, but there are a very few of my accounts for which that isn't accepted, and the entity seems to be looking for a regular mobile number.

In those case, usually, either the $3 a month T-Mobile prepaid plan works OK, or failing that, there's the free TextNow app for Android and others that gives you a U.S. phone number with totally free phone calling and SMS to/from the U.S. over wifi capability, and that works quite well also. IME, call quality and texting reliability with the TextNow app has been excellent.

One thing I've noticed about some of the traditional U.S. mobile service providers with their SIM cards, including TM, is their systems seem set to not accept delivery to some of the common U.S. mail forwarding services. So in those cases, you either need to wait for a trip back to the U.S. to pick up the SIM card, or, obtain it thru some 3rd party source like Amazon, EBay or other.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

people not eligible for traditional Medicaid but making LESS than the MINIMUM to be eligible for ACA.

What kind of less than the minimum figure are you talking about, Jing??? That would make someone ineligible for ACA exchange coverage?

If I'm looking at the website you linked correctly, it appears to be saying the minimum household adjusted income required to be ACA eligible is about $12,500 for a single person, and $16,910 for a couple.

I did that based on one state. Not sure if it changes state to state.

I lived in Thailand for 4 years and came back to America 2 years ago. I don't see problems when you return. You can almost always use your passport for ID. When you arrive and have an address where you live you go to DMV and get an ID only drivers license.  Looks like  DL but not good for driving. Look online as to the locations of the VA hospitals and live near one. That will be yours. References will be asked. Be honest and say you lived in Thailand for X amt. of years, for retirement. I doubt you will have any trouble. I also doubt they will contact anyone in Thailand to check but you never know. You might have credit here. Go to credit Karma edit com for free to check. Capital one had great programs to get credit cards for all kinds of credit. If you should need credit, get a loan based on secured money from your bank account and get a secured credit card. Small loan, pay off in a year. In 6 months you will have a credit score and again go to Cap. One or others for a credit card.

I think that answered all your questions. Welcome back and hope all goes well for you.

39 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

That would be a most difficult move....and the health system wouldn't work for him at all.

I guess that Marcus is just dipping his toe in the water at present.Tho' I believe that the Prez has a Marine detachment on standby if Marcus does require urgent extraction.

Well it's been very curious.

Marcus has been a troll to many of us that decided Thailand wasn't for us full time.

A few months a year works, but not forever.

Maybe he has like many of us just gone full circle, and the realities actually kick in!

10 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I have read this whole thread.....Very helpful info but some things bother me regarding this thread.....

If Marcusarelus has loads of money he could go anywhere....And he could for sure afford to stay in Thailand...Even if health insurance was required..With a little grease I am sure things could be worked out....

The USA can be a very lonely expensive place to live especially if you have no friends or family......I honestly cant even begin to get my head around moving back there at 80 and starting over or how any one could even consider that choice....

Hey I am not him but it just does not make sense to me...

Maybe the health insurance could be greased as you say but I'm not sure.  I have enough money to put what I think will be a requirement one mil in the bank but if the mandatory health insurance has an age cut off it would be obvious that I am over or not. 

14 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Marcus has been a troll to many of us that decided Thailand wasn't for us full time.

Maybe he has like many of us just gone full circle, and the realities actually kick in!

It has been very curious indeed.

I,like you,decided that Thailand could not work for me (or my wife) on a full time basis..which didn't mean that I disliked the place.

When I began to post back about the various pro's and contra's of resettling in one's home country I met with some very curious responses-as do many others.

I thought Marcus was a truly dedicated last ditcher...

14 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

It is my understanding that there will be further immigration restrictions in the near future.  One would be imprudent not to have a plan if there is a problem.  Thailand was my ace in the hole 20 years ago.  Now I'm looking for another. 

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

can you provide a link to the state that will accept only a passport and not proof of a physical address like two utility bills?

https://www.mass.gov/guides/massachusetts-identification-id-requirements#required-identification-documentation-overview-

The above for standard ID, for a REAL ID ( can be used to enter Gov buildings and fly ) there are more requirements. As long as he has  US Passport ,birth certificate and sooner or later he will locate where he wishes to live  he can get the ID. I as a homeowner signed an affidavit that a girl was staying at my home so she could get an ID and receive welfare benefits. She had no utility bills. If he gets free phone from Gov or gets Boost Mobile low cost phone he will have a bill to show address.

47 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

https://www.mass.gov/guides/massachusetts-identification-id-requirements#required-identification-documentation-overview-

The above for standard ID, for a REAL ID ( can be used to enter Gov buildings and fly ) there are more requirements. As long as he has  US Passport ,birth certificate and sooner or later he will locate where he wishes to live  he can get the ID. I as a homeowner signed an affidavit that a girl was staying at my home so she could get an ID and receive welfare benefits. She had no utility bills. If he gets free phone from Gov or gets Boost Mobile low cost phone he will have a bill to show address.

I encourage all US citizens to spend an extra $30 for a passport card when they renew their US passport (book). It's great if you need to show a second form of government-issued photo ID.  Once you establish a residential address in the US you can request that the IRS mail you a summary of your last filed income tax return.  This letter from the IRS can be used as evidence that you reside at your US address.  The Real ID requirements are much more stringent than getting a driver's license in the old days.  They often ask for two different forms of identification and often say if you use one document to satisfy a particular requirement you can't use it to simultaneously satisfy another requirement. When getting a Florida driver's license (Real ID) in 2012 I found it very handy to have both a US passport (book) and passport card.  It's worth the $30 investment.

57 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

ok good that is one state. i wonder if there are any others?

3 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I encourage all US citizens to spend an extra $30 for a passport card when they renew their US passport (book). It's great if you need to show a second form of government-issued photo ID. 

i have this. i wonder if the embassy in Bangkok can issue this upon renewal?

9 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i have this. i wonder if the embassy in Bangkok can issue this upon renewal?

Yes, but with this caveat:

What kind of less than the minimum figure are you talking about, Jing??? That would make someone ineligible for ACA exchange coverage?

If I'm looking at the website you linked correctly, it appears to be saying the minimum household adjusted income required to be ACA eligible is about $12,500 for a single person, and $16,910 for a couple.

I did that based on one state. Not sure if it changes state to state.

It goes up a little annually but that is about the level yes.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

It has been very curious indeed.

I,like you,decided that Thailand could not work for me (or my wife) on a full time basis..which didn't mean that I disliked the place.

When I began to post back about the various pro's and contra's of resettling in one's home country I met with some very curious responses-as do many others.

I thought Marcus was a truly dedicated last ditcher...

Age does change one's perspectives. It's a question of whether one is comfortable with dying in Thailand, or in the bosom of their country of origin. I haven't made up my mind... yet.

Archived