Help: My son has been arrested for overstay

Many thanks your reply, as I am based in uk, what ways would I have to pay fine, he was arrested in Hua Hin, would he be held there or have to appear in court somewhere else 

Edited by bazzer

My Embassy told everyone from my home country stay in Thailand that there if some were taken for overstay contact the Embassy immediately. It takes up to 10 days to be transported to Bangkok and you will be seated at least 2 weeks there. They  check if that person is wanted in any country. So call your Ambassade immediately and info them. 

Mate of mine had his lady on 3 yr overstay, fine at Pattaya was 4,000.  IDC specified the airline and arranged the flight (not to a western country) and it cost plenty, full fare no discounts.

Edited by rott

So what did he live on for four years? If they find anything illegal it will be more than deportation. Thai jails are a nightmare of squalor and overcrowding. Get him out of there real quick before they dig into the past 4 years.  Just in case??

• Like 1

It's just a case of getting cash to him, he has to pay for a flight home, plus a few thousand baht express fee to get that done quickly, plus the fine for overstay in court which is only around 3000 as said. So get in touch with someone who knows him and have them take him around, say, 40000 baht in cash to be on the safe side, most of that being for the expensive last minute flight. He won't have access to an ATM, his bank cards, his phone, nothing so someone will need to go visit. The embassy staff can take days to do that so ideally you can get in touch with a friend of his there. 

Just now, Thailand Outcast said:

Not questioning moderation, Ubonjoe, but is overstaying a criminal offense? 

Not really a criminal offense since it it is violation of the immigration act. The only punishment shown in the immigration act is a max fine of 20,000 baht.

• Like 1

a lot of unknowns    as for me 

1. go to thailand with a lot of  cash money  .. 

2. find an interpreter 

3. start the paperwork 

OR 

let him deal with it  .. you know tough love  .. (at least for a while)  lesson learned kind of thing 

but what ever you decide to do as a parent  .. i wish u luck 

• Like 2