Help: My son has been arrested for overstay

On 4/5/2019 at 10:37 PM, Jim7777 said:

Yes that’s right but I just don’t know how you dial out overseas from the UK.  In the States it’s 001 66  

On 4/5/2019 at 10:40 PM, Jim7777 said:

This thread is about 20 hours old so hopefully he’s figured that out by now on his own but if not it’s on here for him.  

The standard for many countries is : first calling 00  for the international service, then the country code (which is 66 for thailand) then the number without the first zero.

For national numbers : The first zero is for leading the call to the national phone service, then the district number. In your own district you call the number without the zero and district number, the real local call.

That's why when calling from abroad you have to skip that first zero.

The USA has a little different setup, first  011 for the international service, then the country code and then the number without the zero.

The same is with Canada 011.

Australia use 0011 to route the call to international service.

When you use + , the international code should be automatically called on your smartphone.

Just with the old phones you have to know the international service number.

A nice link https://countrycode.org/how-to-call

(they permit linking; usage policy linking to this site is not a problem. It provides a useful service)

Rgds,

Every country has its own prefix, there is no one standard however if you store any number on a mobile, with country code e.g 44 for Uk and prefix it with a plus e.g +44 that will work in every country in the world

17 hours ago, elviajero said:

I suspect most people caught with a 4 year overstay are on overstay because they haven’t got a pot to pee in. But anyone with money can get out quickly as soon as they’ve been through the court and have bought a flight out.

Well may be. If under 50 as likely because cannot obtain legit visa outside VIP pathway so has been ducking under the radar for one reason or another.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 9:22 AM, wotsdermatter said:

Ubonjoe is correct.  There are many countries without a national carrier or an airway that has permission to use Thai airspace or use Thai airports or even the capability of flying into Thailand.  Thai Airways was banned from using Canadian airspace and airports because they contravened the agreement between them and was pulling off stunts that were/are acceptable in Thailand but not in Canada, such as removing passengers so that "snobs" etc. could have their seats.  The then Thai government banned Air Canada in a reciprocating act just out of malicious spite and so now anybody flying between the two countries has to have a layover in another country and often change carriers.  Also, just conducted a search and have found statements from every airline that flies into Thailand and all concerned state there are NO DIRECT NON STOP FLIGHTS from anywhere in Canada to Thailand.  Ironically, Air Canada passengers may have to fly Thai Airways from some layover places and, obviously, vice versa. 

'nuf sed. 

I think you'll find that Air Canada wouldn't be flying to Thailand and vice versa for THAI Airways even IF there were no such ban. Thailand is simply not a money making option for carriers from North America. THAI also pulled out of the USA a few years ago with no indications as to whether they will ever serve the US again. Although no US carrier has ever offered a non-stop option from the US to Thailand, a one stop service from Chicago to Bangkok via Tokyo on United was offered for many years, before they first downgraded the service to a smaller aircraft based in Tokyo and finally suspended flights to Thailand altogether. Delta I think also used to fly to Thailand but now no longer. Your best bet is flying on a carrier like Singapore Airlines, Cathay, EVA/China Air or any of the Chinese or Japanese carriers. All offer one stop services from Thailand to Canada and the USA via their respective hubs.

6 minutes ago, bazzer said:

My son has been told he will be taken to Prauchup on Tuesday, does anyone know of this place.

The is capital of Prachuap Khiri Khan province where Hua Hin is located. He may been of taken there for further processing and will be put in detention there.

Prachuap is several hours South of Bangkok. It may not have been easy, so far, for the British consular section to establish exactly what your son's situation is. Hopefully, the situation will be clearer after he appears in court in Prachuap Tuesday. I hope your son is not facing serious charges apart from his overstay. If it is just the overstay, getting him home should just be a matter of cash and a few days. If he faces criminal charges, he may be faced with jail in Thailand before he is eligible for deportation.

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Prachuap is several hours South of Bangkok. It may not have been easy, so far, for the British consular section to establish exactly what your son's situation is. Hopefully, the situation will be clearer after he appears in court in Prachuap Tuesday. I hope your son is not facing serious charges apart from his overstay. If it is just the overstay, getting him home should just be a matter of cash and a few days. If he faces criminal charges, he may be faced with jail in Thailand before he is eligible for deportation.

You make a good point.

You might still have to be prepared for a few weeks detention in BKK.

A Swedish acquaintance of mine was arrested for overstay in Buriram.

Now it wasn't for the lack of money, but he spent 2 weeks in detention before his ass was finally on a plane back to Stockholm

2 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Can I ask, how are you receiving this information? 

There was a poster I believe earlier in the thread who knows the OPs son and explained the reason for his arrest. So the likely source. But we should wait for the OP.

7 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

You make a good point.

Now it wasn't for the lack of money, but he spent 2 weeks in detention before his ass was finally on a plane back to Stockholm

Well, the detention center guards had to make some money of of him first. Right?  ????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Well, the detention center guards had to make some money of of him first. Right?  ????

That may well be true.

He's very reticent with describing the experience, but what does come through was that it certainly wasn't two of the more pleasant weeks in his life!

20 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

You make a good point.

The deportation act mandates 15 days have to have elapsed from notification before deporting

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:27 PM, gk10002000 said:

A question on when one person buys a ticket for another person.  EVA air for example demands to see the credit card used to purchase the ticket when I board.  How does somebody in this kid's situation get a ticket that the airline will accept if it is bought by somebody else?

Emirates have a similar rule.

However they did advise me that I could purchase the ticket with PayPal, which would allow travel from BKK.

2 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

The deportation act mandates 15 days have to have elapsed from notification before deporting

I’ve never heard of the deportation act. Can you please link a source for the act?

4 hours ago, bazzer said:

My son has been told he will be taken to Prauchup on Tuesday, does anyone know of this place.

Prachuap Khiri Khan is a town 94 kilometers south of Hua Hin. The opposite direct from Bangkok.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Yes, sounds strange he would be taken further away from the airport out. 

Now I'm only talking from my Swedish guys experiences.

But I thought everyone is transported to IDC in BKK prior to deportation.

Speculation, but does this suggest that there are other crimes he is going to be prosecuted for over and above the overstay?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Now I'm only talking from my Swedish guys experiences.

But I thought everyone is transported to IDC in BKK prior to deportation.

Speculation, but does this suggest that there are other crimes he is going to be prosecuted for over and above the overstay?

I thought the same.

Perhaps going to Prachuap for a "re-enactment." 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/6/2019 at 2:47 PM, 007 RED said:

Jim7777 …. I applauded you for trying to help the OP resolve the problem with his son, but with all due respect yesterday you regurgitated the same information, namely the contact telephone numbers for the British Embassy, and how urgent it was that the OP should contact them, in 11 posts. 

As it turned out, one of those phone numbers was for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London.  Sorry but the repetition was becoming a little boring to say the least, and served no useful purpose to the OP.

Forgive me, but you now have started repeating what you posted yesterday about how you have read that the IDC is a nice place and the photos that you have seen of the detention facility. 

I, and other TV members have already advised you that the photos you have seen in a different post were taken in the detention facility at either BKK or DMK airport.  These facilities are not run by Immigration, they are run by the airport authority and are in no way representative of the conditions in the main Immigration Detention Centre (IDC) in the centre of Bangkok. 

The detention facilities at the airports are primarily for short term stays for passengers who have been refused entry into the Kingdom and are awaiting to be flown out.   Yes, compared to the IDC facilities in central Bangkok they are almost 5 star.  Yes, individuals held in the airport facilities are allowed to keep their personal possessions with them (including their mobile phone, laptop etc.), except their passport which is held by security and handed to the airline staff prior to departure.  FYI … The airport authority bills the individual about 800 THB per day for their stay plus cost of meals etc. 

I appreciate that you have not been to the Immigration Detention Centre in Bangkok so, therefore, you haven't had any first hand experience of this 'wonderful' facility.  Please take it from me thatt it is your worst nightmare, a real ‘hell hole’.  As I said to you in a previous post, it is somewhere that you would not wish your worse enemy to be incarcerated in, and that is saying something.

That's nothing. Have you seen his posts about Big Joke?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

Many have reported getting out in fewer days than that.

Maybe that applies to deportation for crime etc., 'public order and morals' it says in the act, no mention of overstay / visa infractions

http://www.krisdika.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/adaf17804e293f939ca5fead9a922cb6/Deportation+Act%2C+B.E.+2499+(1956).pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=adaf17804e293f939ca5fead9a922cb6

On 4/6/2019 at 10:36 PM, balo said:

A lot of helpful information here, sadly nothing heard from OP so lets just hope he can use it and send some money to his son. 

Everybody here is going out of their way to help this father OP from UK who supposedly needs help to get his troubled and broke son out of jail in a 3rd world country half way around the world but later he admitted that he also is broke (by his words "no funds" on a recent post)

Case closed.

Jails in every country are full of inmates that they probably wouldn't be doing any time at all and be set free if they could post a lousy bail or  had some money to pay fines or be able to afford even a cheap  lawyer or had parents who could or/and would help them. But they didn't.

Next topic please....

Edited by pattayadude
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1