Chiang Mai in crisis: Foreigners give their verdict "terrible and it smells"

webfact

Chiang Mai in crisis: Foreigners give their verdict "terrible and it smells"

1pm1_VI.jpg

Tourists and residents of Chiang Mai alike have told the Thai media in no uncertain terms what they think of the ongoing smog crisis in the northern Thai province. 

Speaking behind face masks they said that it was terrible and it smells. Particularly badly hit are retirees and children.

The damning verdict comes as TNA reported hotel bookings massively down at Songkran with Thais in particular deciding to give the north of their country a wide berth for the holidays. 

1PM2.jpg

TNA MCOT reporter Praphaphan Lomsri said in her report that Chiang Mai was in crisis as the smog situation has got worse and worse since the end of last year.

La-iat Bunsrithong of the Northern Hoteliers' Association told her that hotel bookings were down from last years' 85% occupancy at Songkran to 60% this year. 

Of this many are Thais. Some 70% of the tourists to Chiang Mai at Songkran are Thai and they are going elsewhere as the news of the PM 2.5 particles strikes home. Some are even choosing going abroad rather than stay in Thailand. 

The holidays may be cheaper in Thailand but with filthy air far worse than Bangkok why stay, was the message. 

The reporter also sought out a foreign tourist seemingly from Eastern Europe who shook her head and said about Chiang Mai: " "It smells - very much".

Another European retiree who said he was a six year resident spoke behind a mask saying: "The pollution is really terrible. It is the first time that we see so much smoke. 

1pm3.jpg

"It's terrible for children and terrible for old people like me"

Then with an air of frustration he added: "I don't understand why it's so smoky". 

The reporter hoped that the visit of PM Praut Chan-ocha would lead to measures being put in place to end the desperate situation that she referred to as a crisis for the north. 

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-05

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had some friends who were in Thailand for a month and were due to spend ten days in Chiang Mai. They've since cancelled and have gone to the beach instead, for no other reason than they were worried about the air quality and the impact it would have on their young child. 

No doubt there are plenty more stories like this. Unfortunately it's the Chiang Mai businesses who suffer as a result of the incompetence and unwillingness of local and central government to do anything about this. 

Don't cry
Don't raise your eye
It's only toxic wasteland
Sally take my hand
We'll travel south cross land
Put out the fire
And don't look past my shoulder
The exodus is here
The happy ones are near
Let's get together, before we get much older
toxic wasteland
toxic wasteland
Oh yeah, toxic wasteland
They're all wasted!

7 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:
Don't cry
Don't raise your eye
Sally take my hand
We'll travel south cross land
Put out the fire
And don't look past my shoulder
The exodus is here
The happy ones are near
Let's get together, before we get much older
toxic wasteland
toxic wasteland
Oh yeah, toxic wasteland
They're all wasted! 

Who what but my GNR don't cry reminds me I want a slash???? 

1 minute ago, cerox said:

Thinking of defamation laws I would be very careful and say nothing to the media as a foreigner.

Your ok with a smog mask on he was Brazilian but disguised it well as some bay be thinking he is Dutch???? 

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Not sure what the point of this comment is.  Every Thai I know hates the crappy air as much as the farangs. 

...but you don't hear them complaining as much as the farangs. In fact, I've not heard any Thai complaining about it.

14 minutes ago, PhilippBKK said:

It's not Thailand's faul!

All the smoke comes from Burma, because they are bad people.

At least I was told so yesterday by a Thai.....????

That’s pure bull crap as well. I can go out in the mountains behind San Kamphaeng and find miles of corn crops. They burn all that shit off and just don’t care.

58 minutes ago, webfact said:

The reporter hoped that the visit of PM Praut Chan-ocha would lead to measures being put in place to end the desperate situation that she referred to as a crisis for the north. 

Wait. Be patient. Only 4 more days of pollution to go. If not all gone, "somebody" will have to eat some serious crow.

Interesting in the video that a foreigner comments that the pollution has been getting worse year after year. I wonder if that means over the last 5 years (since the coup).

5 minutes ago, neeray said:

Wait. Be patient. Only 4 more days of pollution to go. If not all gone, "somebody" will have to eat some serious crow.

Interesting in the video that a foreigner comments that the pollution has been getting worse year after year. I wonder if that means over the last 5 years (since the coup).

It wast shyts back in 2005. It was so bad in 09 I got the fork out of CNX and went down to Phuket

You are right that the Thai people dislike the air quality as well.

But there is a significant difference. They mostly do not complain and many of them do not even bother to wear a mask, use a purifier etc. so it cannot be important to them, otherwise they would protect themselves.

Compared to two years ago, when I was briefly here in that season I see much more people (Thais) with a real mask, so the awareness has improved a bit. However once people sit in their car they put off their mask, so it just shows me that people do not understand what they are doing.

Air like that, in other countries people would protest and destroy government buildings until it gets resolved.

1 hour ago, PhilippBKK said:

It's not Thailand's faul!

All the smoke comes from Burma, because they are bad people.

At least I was told so yesterday by a Thai.....????

Yes, typical, make an excuse.

Read a little more and easy to find that it's: smoke from burn off in Thailand, and forest burning in Thailand and yes some coming from Myanmar.

The excuse part can be very annoying, I have had many Thai students in International bachelor programs who somehow pass the English requirement (often because it's a test of grammar) then in the classroom they can't understand or speak English. Then the excuses, a common one 'but it's not fair Thai people cannot speak English because they are shy'. All expecting that it's all Ok and the professor will respond with 'mai pben rai'. 

52 minutes ago, cerox said:

Air like that, in other countries people would protest and destroy government buildings until it gets resolved.

?????   People in China and India have been dealing with crappy air for years and they don't "protest and destroy government buildings."  Heck, San Francisco had to deal with some really crappy air recently after the wildfires.  Ditto Singapore.  Why would you guys make-up such ridiculous comments? 

4 hours ago, SammyT said:

Had some friends who were in Thailand for a month and were due to spend ten days in Chiang Mai. They've since cancelled and have gone to the beach instead, for no other reason than they were worried about the air quality and the impact it would have on their young child. 

No doubt there are plenty more stories like this. Unfortunately it's the Chiang Mai businesses who suffer as a result of the incompetence and unwillingness of local and central government to do anything about this. 

Yes we went to the beaches at rating.. Decided could not go in the sea and rubbish on the beach with plastic debris added a new dimension as to what a sandy beach is now.... Even tractors clearing the sand were running out of places to put it. Of course in Chiang mai they would just burn it..after all plastic burns!!!

Did the Almighty Tu not present the esteemed Order of the Golden Shovel to the people and order the air to be cleansed? Why has he not been obeyed? Is his word not enough to bless the people with abundant happiness? Are they turning a deaf ear to their lord and master?

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

...but you don't hear them complaining as much as the farangs. In fact, I've not heard any Thai complaining about it.

Look online. Lots of Thais are angry, frustrated and complaining. Most of the parents from my kids school have escaped to either Bangkok or the beach. They are all extremely upset about the situation, which is hurting not only their kids, but also their businesses in CM.

Not all Thais are low educated farmers.

And the problem is, that we will see not only foreigners leave CM, but also many of the well-educated Thais. Nobody "smart" want to risk and ruin their lives living in smoke.

Archived