Chiang Mai in crisis: Foreigners give their verdict "terrible and it smells"

webfact

22 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

Even the mainland Chinese are becoming conscious of air pollution.

Side topic : share a nice documentary about air pollution in mongolia.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, highly recommend staying away or getting away when it's been this bad, but with the first rains coming it's history. Many of us are rooted in too deeply to get away long enough to save ourselves, so we just wonder how many years it will take off our lives. If you're not overbooked and get someone to bring your food, you can sit tight for a few months in an air conditioned bedroom with an air filter humming away.  

13 hours ago, cusanus said:

if you're not overbooked and get someone to bring your food, you can sit tight for a few months in an air conditioned bedroom with an air filter humming away.  

Sounds rather like being in a prison cell!

On 5/18/2019 at 9:06 PM, cusanus said:

Of course, highly recommend staying away or getting away when it's been this bad, but with the first rains coming it's history. 

Looked out my window a second ago, smog is still here as I can't see the mountains.

It was gone after the two days rain, but it's back after the two days dry.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there has been some rain, the smoke has gone the air quality is decent. So everyone has forgotten about pollution, right?

Wrong. In the past week I have learned of acquaintances  who are getting out of Thailand permanently, friends who are already planning to leave for 3 months early next year, overseas friends who are cutting short their winter visits from now on, and local younger Thai people who want to get out of town during the pollution season.

And where is our esteemed Governor these days? Who knows because he is not only invisible but silent. If there was an award for the most ineffectual government employee he would certainly win it. So we now await his masterful plans for the next burning season, the panicked set-up of "clean rooms" where 0.0001% of the population can go to breathe slightly less poisonous air, and probably a few billboards on major commuter roads telling people not to burn during the banning period. 

The damage to tourism has already run into the billions of baht, with a lot more to come next year as visitor numbers dwindle. And the departure of long term residents will further hit the local economy for years to come. I can already hear the the Governor tuning up his violin to play while CM burns!

And no doubt our soon to be announced democratically elected Prime Minister will compose a song to encourage everyone in the north while we cough our lungs up.

On 6/4/2019 at 7:18 PM, sletraveler said:

Without a doubt it is terrible.  The air was better in India!   Got back and after a week had to head south to the islands to escape the depressing air.   

Bit of a sweeping statement that Indian air is better, it's a huge country so where exactly is the air better than in CM? Certainly not better in Delhi where they suffer from two burning seasons or Kolkata or Mumbai or any other major Indian city. If you're referring to the north up in the Himalayas then maybe it is better.

2 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Ok..., so when..., or indeed, 'is' it likely to become cleaner at some future time ?
I don't usually like to assume 'stuff' but am guessing that maybe there'll be some wind accompanying rain squalls coming from the coast ?

Now the air is clean, until the burning starts again next year

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 10:54 AM, NCC1701A said:
Don't cry
Don't raise your eye
It's only toxic wasteland
Sally take my hand
We'll travel south cross land
Put out the fire
And don't look past my shoulder
The exodus is here
The happy ones are near
Let's get together, before we get much older
toxic wasteland
It's only toxic wasteland
toxic wasteland
Oh yeah, toxic wasteland
They're all wasted!

Who wtote this ?

Assuming you dont live in bangkok as i dont . try going there for 1 day and feel the polution burning your throat the smell up your nose and the smog in your eyes sadly i have to go thete routinely and i make sure there is plenty of air freshener in the car and new filters in the a/c when i do

what must it be like in chang mai can only blame the natives for this one

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Changmai for Songkran this year meeting up with my Sister from New Zealand. I have to say the smog or smoke pollution on the 4 days i was there is not ideal but to be quite honest it wasn't that bad either. I meet with a long term farang resident who said exactly the same, not ideal but could be worse.  Try Singapore when Indonesia is doing its burning off, thats bad!

Archived