BANGKOK 26 June 2019 01:40
webfact

Chiang Mai in crisis: Foreigners give their verdict "terrible and it smells"

10 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Huh,  bit  of a difference between wildfires and blatant  crop burning isn't  there.

You took my comments completely out of context and twisted the meaning.  Rather lame and deceitful of you. 

• Thanks 1

Hmmmm..... maybe someone should do do something to stop the smog?

Do they have any idea when it might start to clear....??

14 minutes ago, khunpa said:

And the problem is, that we will see not only foreigners leave CM, but also many of the well-educated Thais. Nobody "smart" want to risk and ruin their lives living in smoke.

Personally, I don't see any problem with that. And regarding "smart", if the 'non smart' non educated people (who in fact have the same IQ as "well-educated" apart the lack of a paper that confirmes they have attended a school) had money to leave the the "smoke", they probably would.

• Like 2

I travels to CM regularly and feels for them. Air there are so much fresher than in BKK at good times. 

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

Personally, I don't see any problem with that. And regarding "smart", if the 'non smart' non educated people (who in fact have the same IQ as "well-educated" apart the lack of a paper that confirmes they have attended a school) had money to leave the the "smoke", they probably would.

My point is that there is a big risk of business taking a huge hit in CM, as the Thais who can afford it will move away.

4 hours ago, PhilippBKK said:

It's not Thailand's faul!

All the smoke comes from Burma, because they are bad people.

At least I was told so yesterday by a Thai.....🤔

Denile and blaming foreigners seems to go hand in hand with many, from Hi-So to Lo-So.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhilippBKK said:

It's not Thailand's faul!

All the smoke comes from Burma, because they are bad people.

At least I was told so yesterday by a Thai.....🤔

How many times have I been told this? Nothing like diverting blame away from Thais themselves. As far as I know there are no Burmese in the hills between Lampang and Chiang Mai: massive fires there! I don't think it is Burmese that orders the burning of roadside verges (even burning NO BURNING posters!) along with all the plastic rubbish  deposited there. That's throwing a lot of poisonous toxins into the air and is carried out by local government workers. Its not the Burmese that run the 700 year stadium's incinerator in which plastics are burned at less than 1000 degrees releasing even more toxins into the air (there are no scrubbers in their stack!). Sorry Thailand: It's the Thais doing this so get real and do something about it.

Also we had great Green demonstrations over the intrusion of government building work into the Doi Suthep forest. Isn't it about time that everyone in Chiang Mai  marched to the City Hall and demand action. Oh! Just remembered. Thais rarely question authority. So this poisoning of the people here will continue until one morning nobody wakes up. All poisoned in their beds. OMG!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Upto three more months of this . This next three months has been forecast as the hottest on record. The El Nino effect. Get out of dodge.

Edited by Chicken George
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

?????   People in China and India have been dealing with crappy air for years and they don't "protest and destroy government buildings."  Heck, San Francisco had to deal with some really crappy air recently after the wildfires.  Ditto Singapore.  Why would you guys make-up such ridiculous comments? 

Not a ridiculous comment at all Berks. People power could stop this because it is unavoidable. Its the lack of policing, lack of common sense and pure selfishness that has led to this situation. Mass protests by people who care may go someway to waking the authorities and forcing their hand on this issue. People power can and does win!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Not sure what the point of this comment is.  Every Thai I know hates the crappy air as much as the farangs. 

Especially right after they've set fire to their local forest or croplands....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:
Don't cry
Don't raise your eye
It's only toxic wasteland
Sally take my hand
We'll travel south cross land
Put out the fire
And don't look past my shoulder
The exodus is here
The happy ones are near