Chiang Mai in crisis: Foreigners give their verdict "terrible and it smells"

webfact

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes. It is way over developed. And the traffic is now a nightmare. Combine that with the air quality, and the increasing prices for most everything, and it is not someplace most of us would want to live. 

this is the 5th place that i have lived as an adult ,  and over that 40 years each of those once really nice and affordable places has changed beyond recognition.  Either in population growth , affordability, or both.

For twenty years CM was really a nice area to live (imo) .  A real alternate lifestyle from the West .

I have made some adjustments (such as moving out of the city).... and i still find it very affordable.

No place is perfect, but I could stay here happily .  NOW comes the IF.  IF the pollution continues like this next year and the next,  I will make another adjustment.   Think I just came up with a plan that does not include leaving the country during smog season.  But 2 or 3 months of this.... that's a lot !

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MalandLee said:

@Vivid.

A sincere thanks you for sharing the video. It was THE most profound Documentary I have ever seen in my life.

I hope many more will share it, as I will share among my friends - Chai Jing is a brave beautiful soul...

No  problem at all mate, hope you got some good info out of it, even though it does not exactly 100% relate to the situation in Thailand.

15 minutes ago, vivid said:

No  problem at all mate, hope you got some good info out of it, even though it does not exactly 100% relate to the situation in Thailand.

Many things within the Video resonated. Thai's on most levels would benefit watching. I do not know much about "American Oscars" but, if there is a global equivalent. It is deserving of such an award - I went on line and found it is censored (now) in China. Sad, but then most (not all) censorship is "sad" - I hope your post is not removed, I believe it is FIRMLY on topic.

I believe this was on one of the better days, as the last 3 days was actually still pretty "OK" relative to last week or so.  (pls note the quotes).  Video posted just 20hrs ago.

It does give you an idea on how high the pollution layer goes up to.

This is EXACTLY what i have been look for!

image.png.d27b363fb331b601fa2e5c75ccd0993b.png

On 4/6/2019 at 1:08 AM, spidermike007 said:

What should have happened if the army's claims that they are there for the welfare of the nation was true, was that they would have spent the past 60 months working on solutions, instead of bowing down to the lobbyists, special interests, the elites and those with massive bankrolls. Instead, we have this. People are dying. The respiratory wings of the hospitals are full of people with acute condition, who can barely breathe. The potential solutions are endless. If they only cared about the people. 

Do we really need another five years of this hapless incompetence and indifference?

What is the army for if not to protect the nation from both foreign as well as natural disasters than affect the health and environment and the economy of millions of people in the North? Oh....I forgot...this is Thailand. The Army has other responsibilities as well

3 hours ago, Phaser said:

What is the army for if not to protect the nation from both foreign as well as natural disasters than affect the health and environment and the economy of millions of people in the North? Oh....I forgot...this is Thailand. The Army has other responsibilities as well

Like protect the nation from great threats from the neighbors. Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam and Malaysia. Real threats. Yeah. We need a strong army and brilliant generalissimos!

20 hours ago, vivid said:

I believe this was on one of the better days, as the last 3 days was actually still pretty "OK" relative to last week or so.  (pls note the quotes).  Video posted just 20hrs ago.

It does give you an idea on how high the pollution layer goes up to.

This is EXACTLY what i have been look for!

image.png.d27b363fb331b601fa2e5c75ccd0993b.png

Wow. A scary video. Thailand is facing a monumental health crisis. And what are the brilliant minds at the top doing about it?

Have you heard the expression "less than zero"?

And they want another five years? Can one even imaging how far they could set the nation back in another five years? It is unfathomable. The incompetence is staggering. 

On 4/5/2019 at 10:50 AM, sammieuk1 said:

Virtual recluse here holed up for the last 2 months don't come here its a wasteland when my contracts up I'm gone and sure there are others planning the same???? 

You have my sympathies. It used to be great but now has no redeeming features which cant be found better elsewhere in Thailand. Dreadful. Tedious, Depressing. False polluted And utterly joyless. 

On 4/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, Berkshire said:

Not sure what the point of this comment is.  Every Thai I know hates the crappy air as much as the farangs. 

I keep hearing this, but they do nothing. It's their city, why are they not out protesting? putting pressure on the powers that be. Complaining on social media, while better than nothing, does nothing.

I know confrontation is not in their nature, sabi sabi and all that, but this is insane.

Any developed city in the west, citizens wouldn't stand for this, they'd be on the streets demanding change.

Anyway, happy Songkran, read the first day will be a toxic doozy! Tourists, stay away!

On 4/5/2019 at 3:36 PM, mberbae said:

Until the locals take to the streets to demand ACTION ,

nothing will change. Remember last year when the

Governor of CM did NOT want people to wear masks

because it was BAD for the image of Chiang Mai ? !

Wow, that's a new low!

It's worse than what you see. What you don't see are the minute particles which enter your lungs, much worse than even cigarettes and for the elderly the added risk of pneumonia which can quickly become fatal. You can reduce the risk by receiving a injection. A Friend of mine narrowly survived this condition a week after visiting Ao Nang where traffic congestion is increasing, and returning to UK. Only high quality NHS treatment at St. Thomas's Hospital saved him and with Bangkok and Chiang Mai being much worse it seems that many who go to Thailand to escape European Winters are being condemned to Death while the Authorities are worried more by the drop in hotel bookings.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:50 PM, gunderhill said:

Huh,  bit  of a difference between wildfires and blatant  crop burning isn't  there.

A lot of evidence suggesting the Cali fires were not naturally occurring events.

8 hours ago, papa al said:

A lot of evidence suggesting the Cali fires were not naturally occurring events.

If those weren't naturally occurring fires, then it's a really terrible terrible thing.   

On 4/5/2019 at 5:56 PM, Destiny1990 said:

Amazing every year its the same story.

Funny that many foreigners have moved to Chiang Mai for their health.

Maybe they moved to get a much younger girlfriend and more sex .

Can't see any other reason. 

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately like most problems it has to have a dramatic economic impact before it will be address.  I am sure their are enough laws on the books, their usually are.  They just need to be enforced, unfortunate may that be on all concerned.

We're is Big Joke now, when the country needs him...  Quick someone turn on the Big Joke Light...  No one likes control, till things get out of control...  

On 4/5/2019 at 2:54 PM, khunpa said:

Look online. Lots of Thais are angry, frustrated and complaining. Most of the parents from my kids school have escaped to either Bangkok or the beach. They are all extremely upset about the situation, which is hurting not only their kids, but also their businesses in CM.

Not all Thais are low educated farmers.

And the problem is, that we will see not only foreigners leave CM, but also many of the well-educated Thais. Nobody "smart" want to risk and ruin their lives living in smoke.

You've described it well: they are selfish. 

It matters to them only when it affects them or their families. 

Who cares about the people in the next town or anybody else, really? 

Thailand is 'flexible' like that. ????

On 4/4/2019 at 11:18 PM, Vacuum said:

...but you don't hear them complaining as much as the farangs. In fact, I've not heard any Thai complaining about it.

If complaining was an effective tactic, TVF would be a little slice of heaven.  Since we all know it's not, perhaps the Thais have come up with a better way to deal with adversity than complaining?

Even the mainland Chinese are becoming conscious of air pollution.

I talked to a few yesterday that were not pleased about the smoke.

They changed their mind about staying in Chiang Mai and took a flight to Bangkok this morning.

I really hope this air pollution has a drastic effect on tourism.

Money is the only thing that will get Thais to take action.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, Berkshire said:

Not sure what the point of this comment is.  Every Thai I know hates the crappy air as much as the farangs. 

The point here wasn't air quality but Thai xenophobia. But reckon you are only pretending you don't get it.

Archived