Hundreds more foreigners arrested for being in Thailand illegally

webfact

Hundreds more foreigners arrested for being in Thailand illegally

By KIttipong Maneerit
The Nation

1.jpg

Picture: Komchadluek

Nearly 500 foreigners have been rounded up this week in simultaneous raids at 221 locations around the country.

About 300 of them have been charged with entering Thailand illegally, Immigration Police Bureau deputy chief Pol Maj-General Itthipol Itthisarnronnachai said at a 1am media conference in front of Nana Hotel in central Bangkok.

2.jpg

Of the 473 people arrested, 285 have been charged with having entered Thailand illegally, 19 are accused of overstaying their visas and a further 169 face a variety of other charges.

3.jpg

This was the 47th immigration crackdown, bringing the total number of locations searched to 7,366 nationwide and resulting in a total of 8,873 arrests.

4.jpg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30367196

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-05

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frankly disturbing how the guy in the hat is giving the death stare to some poor little Nepali guy who was probably selling pancakes in the gutter to send some money back home to his family.

Pure narcissist showboating for the media.

It has always amused me how the cops here always need to make a song and dance about their often petty arrests. I guess there were either none, or very few westerners involved or they would have made a point of reading out the numbers.

For once, it would be nice if they focused their attention on some of the really serious crime going on in the country, at which point their press conferences might have some meaning.

The majority of those arrested seem to be from Asia or Africa and the offenses seem to be real enough, but will the people cheering this on be so supportive if the police begin to round up Europeans or Americans or Australians for offenses such as failing to report one's address within 24 hours?

Who can predict where this crackdown will end?

Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up, rawhide
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, cut 'em out
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in, rawhide

Keep movin', movin', movin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them dogies movin', rawhide
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope 'em, throw, and brand 'em
Soon we'll be livin' high and wide

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It has always amused me how the cops here always need to make a song and dance about their often petty arrests. I guess there were either none, or very few westerners involved or they would have made a point of reading out the numbers.

For once, it would be nice if they focused their attention on some of the really serious crime going on in the country, at which point their press conferences might have some meaning.

I some how thing,  the police won't focus on family, friends and business associates. :giggle:

3 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Frankly disturbing how the guy in the hat is giving the death stare to some poor little Nepali guy who was probably selling pancakes in the gutter to send some money back home to his family.

Pure narcissist showboating for the media.

shouldn't be here then should he. 

4 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

..with a bit of luck they will pick you up and send you packing..

Crazy world ....

Crazy migration flux ....

More and more and more people from the whole world are coming to thailand...even colombian tourist exist ...south american tourist are visiting the country ????

A bunch hunted down but thousands are waiting and going to take their place. The problem is far deeper rooted and cannot be solved plainly with the propaganda raids.

And perhaps not to forget, that most Thais put all foreigners in the same basket should they be black, white, red, blue or green in skin colour.

What may force out a few smiles and maybe a waï here and there,  is the size of one's wallet and nothing more.

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

A bunch hunted down but thousands are waiting and going to take their place. The problem is far deeper rooted and cannot be solved plainly with the propaganda raids.

And perhaps not to forget, that most Thais put all foreigners in the same basket should they be black, white, red, blue or green in skin colour.

What may force out a few smiles and maybe a waï here and there,  is the size of one's wallet and nothing more.

I predict an increase in overstayers with the recent changes to the income letter.  Rarely is anything well thought out.

6 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Why are you considering it lucky? If you have all your documentation in place, there will be no issue.

Until they change the goalposts and the documents that you could arrange yesterday are  no longer adequate for today.  I've known dozens of guys who were perfectly legal for years, then one day they weren't.  It's sad to see a dream evaporate like that.

Karma's a bitch, and I sense more than a little of what's going on with immigration's tightening up.  In fact, if the immigration department reads on TVF what a lot of expats think of our hosts, I'm surprised they don't make it even more uncomfortable.  Talk about my family like that in my home, and you'll be shown the door, even if you do bring in a little GDP.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

This was the 47th immigration crackdown, bringing the total number of locations searched to 7,366 nationwide and resulting in a total of 8,873 arrests.

So, just over 1.2 arrests per location raided, nationwide. 

Big whoop. 

1 hour ago, impulse said:

In fact, if the immigration department reads on TVF what a lot of expats think of our hosts, I'm surprised they don't make it even more uncomfortable.  Talk about my family like that in my home, and you'll be shown the door, even if you do bring in a little GDP.

I think the Immigration department has too much of a good impression of their hosting experience, i.e. host and regulate.

Not sure where your home country is, but generally in developed countries there is this little thing called "freedom of speech", where people can say whatever they like and not be shown the door, unlike Thailand, where indeed you will be shown the door.

9 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Still don't understand why so many people from third world countries want to break the law to come to an even more <deleted> up country.

because it's cheaper to live here and maybe it's not as bad as you make out.

Archived