Pattaya Beach crisis: "Very concerning and potential damage to tourism" as stop gap measures announced

webfact

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

Sorry to spoil the party, but just one dishonest taxi, 1 rude immigration officer and 1 waiter cheat in a restaurant overcharging does far...far more damage to the image of a country then a natural disaster.

Not to forget the overrated and artificially inflated strong Thai Bhat, that will further deter tourists and retirees to spend their money here. Wake up.

lol. Two hours of rain,"natural disaster"?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

There are decades worth of rainfall data for most of Thailand including Pattaya. All they had to do is calculate the rainfall for the coverage area then design and build drainage to handle the water flow. Most competent professional civil engineers can easily do this job.

It seems someone other than professional engineers are deciding on the drainage design. The people authorizing the work aren't following the advice and recommendations of professionals who are qualified to design and build.

You are talking about chaneling water. These guys only know how to channel money. 

They don't even recognize the real problem. It's not some heavy rainfalls duribg the wet season, it's the lack of wave breakers outside. They can provide as much sand as they can afford - next cold season's waves will wash it away.

51 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

They don't even recognize the real problem. It's not some heavy rainfalls duribg the wet season, it's the lack of wave breakers outside. They can provide as much sand as they can afford - next cold season's waves will wash it away.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor golfbreker

5 hours ago, toenail said:

Get some farangs on the committee that can think “pro-active” on what to do. You do not invest on beach renovation until you take care of the water run-off from the sois during the  heavy rains.  A real engineer would know this.

You don't need to be an engineer to work that out - it's just common sense, isn't it???

Rip out one lane beach rd and lay in some proper drainage,then remove those sand bags and start again and let Pattaya's gentle tide return to make the sand smooth, like a normal beach,not look like a ''moto cross arena ''

5 hours ago, CGW said:

Just how long does it take to "sort out drainage problems" so far its been over thirty years that I am aware off.

Some people? would be embarrassed by the shear incompetence involved - not them - happy to   ????

I watched daily as they redid the beach...these are the new ''drainage gutters ,where they used custom made blocks ,first they poured a cement pad then,they dug trenches alongside the footpath, in problem areas and laid these blocks, that created a gutter of sorts.the gutters (seen in the photo) 6 inches wide and 10 inches deep filled with crushed rock...this was their drainage remedy ...absolutely disgraceful....

P1010236.JPG

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Very concerning and potential damage to tourism

Damage to tourism!!! Always the same freaking line! is that all you can think of you brain damaged morons?!?!

Damage to the environment,damage to a beloved city, damage to work ethic, damage to your honor then science and knowledge  ALWAYS SHOULD COME FIRST BEFORE DAMAGE TO POCKETS!

damage to tourism(crying)! laughing out loud!..there won't be a beach  left  in 10 years while only worrying about damage to tourism! if you don't get your act together and save your beach soon, there won't be any tourism left or beach!

8 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

Damage to tourism!!! Always the same freaking line! is that all you can think of you brain damaged morons?!?!

Damage to the environment,damage to a beloved city, damage to work ethic, damage to your honor then science and knowledge  ALWAYS SHOULD COME FIRST BEFORE DAMAGE TO POCKETS!

damage to tourism(crying)! laughing out loud!..there won't be a beach  left  in 10 years while only worrying about damage to tourism! if you don't get your act together and save your beach soon, there won't be any tourism left or beach!

There were not even tourists on the beach right after the beach nourishment was finished okey we saw one tourist but maybe just leave the beach in its natural state as it is now.

8 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

There were not even tourists on the beach right after the beach nourishment was finished okey we saw one tourist but maybe just leave the beach in its natural state as it is now.

it's because one knows its now an artificial beach of mega sandbags and pipes 12-24 inches below the imported sand from elsewhere.am I right?

it's human psychology

4 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

it's because one knows its now an artificial beach of mega sandbags and pipes 12-24 inches below the imported sand from elsewhere.am I right?

it's human psychology

I think its more a visa issue and a lack of shade issue that created less tourists on the beach.

9 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I think its more a visa issue and a lack of shade issue that created less tourists on the beach.

I guess people(me too) liked the narrowed beaches and prefer to "be in touch " with the city and the foot traffic behind and at the same time be close to the sea for coolness and view.

Now that beach has widened, it's unfriendly and too hot. maybe

17 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

I guess people(me too) liked the narrowed beaches and prefer to "be in touch " with the city and the foot traffic behind and at the same time be close to the sea for coolness and view.

Now that beach has widened, it's unfriendly and too hot. maybe

I liked the wide pavement that was there before but they cut it to make another lane for vehicles.

anyway it is all meshed up atleast Jomtien beach looks nicer also traffic is less there so its good for walks.

I wouldn't call them stupid or morons. Most of us, as well as those officials in charge, knew this would happen, and will happen again. So far nobody did any research how many friends and relatives at the contracting authority are in the beach restoring business. Creating a scheme of self repeating business seems to be rather clever...

17 hours ago, toenail said:

Get some farangs on the committee that can think “pro-active” on what to do. You do not invest on beach renovation until you take care of the water run-off from the sois during the  heavy rains.  A real engineer would know this.

A real engineer would know that not only rainwater dispersal is a thing to reckon with, but knows that the sucking power of waves is is something to do about.

How?

Placing a sandbank in front of the beach......

Don't forget the sea will bring sand here and will deposit it there.

Use that fact.

And if you want to keep your precious beach as a safety against erosion, you must invest, constantly, in it.

Ask the Dutch engineers, they know all about defending land against the sea, be it dunes, beaches, dykes, walls, whatever.

And how expensive it is 

For the Thb400M that has been spent on importing sand....(well 200M probably and they pocketed 200M), and then washed away...a good sized dredge offshore, say 250m, could replace good beach sand at minimal cost....and be there for as long as they need...but of course, that's too logical for the dolts!

It’s laughable that Pattaya is concerned about tourism over missing sand whereas here I Chiang Mai we are choking on the worlds worse air quality and they do nothing.  Maybe if we turned CM into a Sex tourist haven we would get some attention. 

Archived